229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 215.
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Rumor mill garbage is filling up enough of Pinside as is.

Hopers gotta hope.

#352 5 years ago

Stingray was my 2nd pin I ever bought. Still have it, still enjoy it.

Current line up of STERNS:

Trident
Big Game
Stingray
Dracula
Meteor

& Sea Witch is joining them tomorrow after I pick her up @ York.

Would love to have a Star Gazer, but am not the type of person to drop that much $ on one. Hoping that someday I can find a reasonable priced basket case that I can restore.

Also I could be talked into a Flight 2000 or a Nine Ball pretty easy.

I looked hard at buying a STARS at Allentown, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Just didn't do it for me......

Eventually I'd like to have as many early Sterns as I have early Bally SS's to even out the collection.

#353 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Where did you get that number from Mitch? As it certainly wasn't from me.
Perhaps you are thinking of a different QS?

Do you give me permission to post the pm's you sent me?

#354 5 years ago
Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

Stingray was my 2nd pin I ever bought. Still have it, still enjoy it.
Current line up of STERNS:
Trident
Big Game
Stingray
Dracula
Meteor
& Sea Witch is joining them tomorrow after I pick her up @ York.
Would love to have a Star Gazer, but am not the type of person to drop that much $ on one. Hoping that someday I can find a reasonable priced basket case that I can restore.
Also I could be talked into a Flight 2000 or a Nine Ball pretty easy.
I looked hard at buying a STARS at Allentown, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Just didn't do it for me......
Eventually I'd like to have as many early Sterns as I have early Bally SS's to even out the collection.

Of your Sterns, where do you rank your Big Game. Of your collection, where does your Big Game stand?

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

Would love to have a Star Gazer, but am not the type of person to drop that much $ on one.

I would also like a star gazer. And I WOULD spend good money on it. And I would import from US. Someone offer their stargazer to me please.

#356 5 years ago

Just got this Stingray going again.

8AA12C4A-D7C5-4FE7-9103-C5E1688524AD (resized).jpeg8AA12C4A-D7C5-4FE7-9103-C5E1688524AD (resized).jpeg75BD02AA-9D46-4295-9B1D-D2B2BD2F5449 (resized).jpeg75BD02AA-9D46-4295-9B1D-D2B2BD2F5449 (resized).jpeg

#357 5 years ago

A seawitch with improved geometry and new style drops would be excellent if it wasn't at the rumored price

#358 5 years ago

Really want a Quicksilver. Willing to pay too much money.

#359 5 years ago

Since I have started this thread I've added 6 classic sterns to my collection.

I got freefall, flight 2000, meteor, seawitch, a nugent being shipped in and a quicksilver being shipped in.

#360 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I got freefall, flight 2000, meteor, seawitch, a nugent being shipped in and a quicksilver being shipped in.

la-fi-tn-confirmed-facebooks-19-billion-whatsa-001 (resized).jpgla-fi-tn-confirmed-facebooks-19-billion-whatsa-001 (resized).jpg2FB0C9DE00000578-0-However_some_have_suggested_promo_guy_is_simply_an_actor_paid_fo-a-5_1451862139687 (resized).jpg2FB0C9DE00000578-0-However_some_have_suggested_promo_guy_is_simply_an_actor_paid_fo-a-5_1451862139687 (resized).jpgimgres-1 (resized).jpgimgres-1 (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

#361 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

One of these days I need to dig out my Freefall and get it going. I've never played one. It's been in my project queue for a couple years and I think that's too long.

#362 5 years ago

Freefall is fun an unique but as far as classic Stern wide body games go, it's NOT one of the best. Kind of reminds me of Viper. Very unique and fun, but only once in a while.

#363 5 years ago
#364 5 years ago

I'll look at mine tonight.

#365 5 years ago

Can’t you just order them from CPR with their new system?

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can’t you just order them from CPR with their new system?

Has CPR ever made them before?

#367 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Has CPR ever made them before?

Not sure. From what I understand as long as they have a donor set, glass, or playfield, of something they do not already have, they can make it. Maybe I understood wrong.

#368 5 years ago

picked up a few project sterns this past weekend. Not looking to sell anything at this point. Just thought I would share pics.

IMG-3894 (resized).JPGIMG-3894 (resized).JPGIMG-3896 (resized).JPGIMG-3896 (resized).JPGIMG-3898 (resized).JPGIMG-3898 (resized).JPG
#369 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

picked up a few project sterns this past weekend. Not looking to sell anything at this point. Just thought I would share pics.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You hit the motherload!

Nice freakin haul!

#370 5 years ago

Wow...very nice!@

#371 5 years ago

Good Lord!

#372 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Wow that's crazy how did you manage to find those.

#373 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Where did you get that number from Mitch? As it certainly wasn't from me.
Perhaps you are thinking of a different QS?

I guess the 6200 he told me was before he shopped it. Been told by other pinside members he's asking over 8k now.

#374 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

how did you manage to find those.

psychic hotline

Honestly, networking with other collectors is probably the best resource.

#375 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Wow that's crazy how did you manage to find those.

Brenna98 was in my town last week for business. He contacted me and was invited to come by and play my pins. We had good conversations about the pins we have and the pins we want. The subject of a group of pins that sold on Ebay came up.

Two years ago there was an Ebay auction for 30-40 pinball machines selling as one lot from a business in Chattanooga Tennessee. These pins are from that auction. I was trying desperately to get my hands on that Quicksilver. After the Ebay auction they all disappeared. Brenna and I got to talking about them and he knew where they were. I don't how he knew but he knew. And the pin gods finally blew the magic dust his way.

#376 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Brenna98 was in my town last week for business. He contacted me and was invited to come by and play my pins. We had good conversations about the pins we have and the pins we want. The subject of a group of pins that sold on Ebay came up.
Two years ago there was an Ebay auction for 30-40 pinball machines selling as one lot from a business in Chattanooga Tennessee. These pins are from that auction. I was trying desperately to get my hands on that Quicksilver. After the Ebay auction they all disappeared. Brenna and I got to talking about them and he knew where they were. I don't how he knew but he knew. And the pin gods finally blew the magic dust his way.

Awsome!! Thanks for the background. Always interesting

#377 5 years ago

And I was happy to find one Nine Ball

#378 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Awsome!! Thanks for the background. Always interesting

Yes, it is. How about you sharing with us your scooped 'em up and dragged them home" story? All except the Nugent

#379 5 years ago

I apologize if this has been posted, but here is a thread to make you cry.

I was lucky enough to get one of them, but in hindsight, I would have had the $ in his hands faster than a flick of the wrist.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-entire-classic-stern-mpu-200-collection-4-sale

#380 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yes, it is. How about you sharing with us your scooped 'em up and dragged them home" story? All except the Nugent

Mine arnt interesting except maybe the quicksilver.
Freefall a operator traded me it fully working and shopped for a as is Eldorado. He dosen't want to route 80s pins anymore as they break down too much.
Flight 2000 I got in a trade from a local collector it's a little rough planking not working etc traded a really nice boomerang, a decent hot shot and a smelly card wiz for the flight 2000 and a decent Phoenix.
Meteor I got a reply to a wanted ad I have from a collector about a hour away. Nice shape some playfeild wear and won't boot.
Nugent I bought from a for sale ad on pinside it's being shipped in.
Seawitch a guy on pinside saw I was looking for one in this thread and I bought a non working project off him had it shipped in. First game I've had shipped.
Then quicksilver was the biggest surprise.
I had a specific want ad for it and a guy in Halifax contacted me he got a project in a trade a couple weeks ago and wanted to sell it.
It has a plexiglass backglass, playfeild wear, head damage and missing cpu. Had a guy I know in Halifax pick it up for me and ship it here. Just got shipped today should have it next week. Paid 1800 cad for it plus 300 shipping and 100 for my friends time so 2200 cad( 1700usd)

IMG_1522 (resized).jpgIMG_1522 (resized).jpgIMG_1523 (resized).jpgIMG_1523 (resized).jpgIMG_1525 (resized).jpgIMG_1525 (resized).jpgIMG_1533 (resized).jpgIMG_1533 (resized).jpgIMG_1535 (resized).jpgIMG_1535 (resized).jpgIMG_1555 (resized).jpgIMG_1555 (resized).jpgIMG_1556 (resized).jpgIMG_1556 (resized).jpgIMG_1558 (resized).jpgIMG_1558 (resized).jpgIMG_1564 (resized).jpgIMG_1564 (resized).jpg
#381 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

If there were any extra just Stern aprons out there I still need one for my Star Gazer project unless you are making those in the near future!

#382 5 years ago

I would love to make Stern aprons. Looks like Mitch needs a correct one for a quicksilver. Looks like he's got a meteor in there.

Trouble is, there are decals available for these. So, people usually paint/apply and call it good. This has kept my requests for repros low.
I think I have enough hands raised to justify metal tooling. I'll talk to merfeldma again to see if this can happen.

#383 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I would love to make Stern aprons. Looks like mitch needs a correct one for a quicksilver. Looks like he's got a meteor in there.
Trouble is, there are decals available for these. So, people usually paint/apply and call it good. This has kept my requests for repros low.
I think I have enough hands raised to justify metal tooling. I'll talk to merfeldma again to see if this can happen.

I have your Fathom and centaur and would love to continue to support your efforts.

#384 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I apologize if this has been posted, but here is a thread to make you cry.
I was lucky enough to get one of them, but in hindsight, I would have had the $ in his hands faster than a flick of the wrist.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-entire-classic-stern-mpu-200-collection-4-sale

I made an offer on his Star Gazer. It had a beautifully restored playfield, except for one font issue in the bonus multiplier tree which didn't make any sense. But it had damage from sitting on it's back in water. Seller did not include any photos that showed the damage to the cabinet and playfield -- no pictures of the back and the only shots of the inside were taken from the coin door.

I found another album containing pics of the game when he got it. These pics clearly showed the damage. I'm sure he repaired all of it, but it should have been disclosed since I bet the inner cab would have been stained. Deals fell through with other people in line, and when it fell in my lap I offered him $200-300 less than asking price. He declined the offer and sold the game to someone else.

I regretted that decision every day until the one I bought popped up for sale.

#385 5 years ago

While I have everybody's attention..............Let's talk Stern Wide Bodies: Big Game, Cheetah, Flight 2000, Freefall, Iron Maiden, Viper, Orbiter?

Actually, they are not so much wide bodies as they are large bodies. They are in a class of their own. The play field glass on the big ones measures 45 5/8 x 24 5/8. The small ones (seawitch et al.) measure 43 x 21. The ratio of length to width on the big ones is 1.85. The ratio on the smalls is 2.04. Think in terms of a tiny Elton John (Captain Fantastik) standing behind an oversized pinball machine. Stern large body.

My short 2-3 years messing around with my Sterns has taught me that the dark colored play fields are hard to see the ball sometimes; There is too much reflection; This would be Big Game and Dragonfist. On the flip side of the coin, Seawitch and Catacomb are relatively light color play fields and reflected light is not a problem, for me, anyway.

Here is the pitch. I would love to have a PDI/ Invisible play field glass for my Big Game. They are not cheap. But to get one, Joey at PDI says I would have to buy 5 minimum. I can't afford 5 of them; I can barely afford one.

I'm looking for 4 other large body Stern owners that would want to partner up and split the costs for an invisible play field glass. I know it is a long shot but if you don't ask you don't get a date.

Anybody?

#386 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I made an offer on his Star Gazer. It had a beautifully restored playfield, except for one font issue in the bonus multiplier tree which didn't make any sense. But it had damage from sitting on it's back in water. Seller did not include any photos that showed the damage to the cabinet and playfield -- no pictures of the back and the only shots of the inside were taken from the coin door.
I found another album containing pics of the game when he got it. These pics clearly showed the damage. I'm sure he repaired all of it, but it should have been disclosed since I bet the inner cab would have been stained. Deals fell through with other people in line, and when it fell in my lap I offered him $200-300 less than asking price. He declined the offer and sold the game to someone else.
I regretted that decision every day until the one I bought popped up for sale.

Now 3K is a steal for it, only 4 years later.

SG and QS were gone when I got in, but I was able to get one of the other ones. Sad news is I passed on the Cheetah and Catacomb.

#387 5 years ago

I thought the going rate for a nice QS was around $3000?

Thought only Stargazer gets big bucks?

That said not expensive compared to a new Stern pro.

#388 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Now 3K is a steal for it, only 4 years later.
SG and QS were gone when I got in, but I was able to get one of the other ones. Sad news is I passed on the Cheetah and Catacomb.

Crazy, right?

I only got limited play time on Cheetah when it was in the arcade so I don't remember much about it. Due to mixed reviews I passed on it too. Wouldn't mind owning one now.

#389 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I thought the going rate for a nice QS was around $3000?
Thought only Stargazer gets big bucks?
That said not expensive compared to a new Stern pro.

Define nice. I assume you mean nice original? Those would be very hard to come by.

I was offered $2500 for my Quicksilver (restored playfield, nice original cabinet, decent glass) PLUS a project Iron Maiden (the one RedKetchup has now) at TPF 4 years ago. He was asking $1500 for the Iron Maiden.

Crazy money at the time, but I turned him down. I knew I'd have to go out and buy another QS and restore it. Considering how long it took to find mine I couldn't go that long without it.

#390 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Mine arnt interesting except maybe the quicksilver.
Freefall a operator traded me it fully working and shopped for a as is Eldorado. He dosen't want to route 80s pins anymore as they break down too much.
Flight 2000 I got in a trade from a local collector it's a little rough planking not working etc traded a really nice boomerang, a decent hot shot and a smelly card wiz for the flight 2000 and a decent Phoenix.
Meteor I got a reply to a wanted ad I have from a collector about a hour away. Nice shape some playfeild wear and won't boot.
Nugent I bought from a for sale ad on pinside it's being shipped in.
Seawitch a guy on pinside saw I was looking for one in this thread and I bought a non working project off him had it shipped in. First game I've had shipped.
Then quicksilver was the biggest surprise.
I had a specific want ad for it and a guy in Halifax contacted me he got a project in a trade a couple weeks ago and wanted to sell it.
It has a plexiglass backglass, playfeild wear, head damage and missing cpu. Had a guy I know in Halifax pick it up for me and ship it here. Just got shipped today should have it next week. Paid 1800 cad for it plus 300 shipping and 100 for my friends time so 2200 cad( 1700usd)[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for those pics. Your QS has all the same wear spots that are on mine. I got mine for just a little less than you but I had to buy a BG Resto back glass. And I have no boards, at all. Mine was a 1000 mile drive to pick up a Nine Ball cabinet and another 90 miles to pick up a populated play field. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

IMG_7069 (resized).JPGIMG_7069 (resized).JPG

#391 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

While I have everybody's attention..............Let's talk Stern Wide Bodies: Big Game, Cheetah, Flight 2000, Freefall, Iron Maiden, Viper, Orbiter?
Actually, they are not so much wide bodies as they are large bodies. They are in a class of their own. The play field glass on the big ones measures 45 5/8 x 24 5/8. The small ones (seawitch et al.) measure 43 x 21. The ratio of length to width on the big ones is 1.85. The ratio on the smalls is 2.04. Think in terms of a tiny Elton John (Captain Fantastik) standing behind an oversized pinball machine. Stern large body.
My short 2-3 years messing around with my Sterns has taught me that the dark colored play fields are hard to see the ball sometimes; There is too much reflection; This would be Big Game and Dragonfist. On the flip side of the coin, Seawitch and Catacomb are relatively light color play fields and reflected light is not a problem, for me, anyway.
Here is the pitch. I would love to have a PDI/ Invisible play field glass for my Big Game. They are not cheap. But to get one, Joey at PDI says I would have to buy 5 minimum. I can't afford 5 of them; I can barely afford one.
I'm looking for 4 other large body Stern owners that would want to partner up and split the costs for an invisible play field glass. I know it is a long shot but if you don't ask you don't get a date.
Anybody?

I may be interested in 1 or 2 PDI for the Stern widebody.
**Also be very careful with Stern playfield glass.** The lockdown bar receiver lip sits too close to the glass causing it to easily scratch when taking the glass out or in. You need to carefully lift the glass while moving the glass so it doesn't scrape against it.
The easy fix for this is to pound the tip of a bamboo skewer into both of the plastic channels the glass enters into. This makes the glass elevated a few milliliters enough to clear the lip with out too much effort/caution when removing/installing glass. And no more **SCreeeeeecchhh!** =)

#392 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

**Also be very careful with Stern playfield glass.** The lockdown bar receiver lip sits too close to the glass causing it to easily scratch when taking the glass out or in. You need to carefully lift the glass while moving the glass so it doesn't scrape against it.
The easy fix for this is to pound the tip of a bamboo skewer into both of the plastic channels the glass enters into. This makes the glass elevated a few milliliters enough to clear the lip with out too much effort/caution when removing/installing glass. And no more **SCreeeeeecchhh!** =)

Never had this issue on mine.

#393 5 years ago

Damn didnt notice I had the wrong apron on quicksilver, anyone have the correct one they would sell or trade?

#394 5 years ago

Its a Meteor apron but it was installed on your machine when it was manufactured. Mine was the same. Many, many Quicksilvers were built with meteor aprons!

#395 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Its a Meteor apron but it was installed on your machine when it was manufactured. Mine was the same. Many, many Quicksilvers were built with meteor aprons!

Cool good to know

#396 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Interesting solution. Both my QS and SG screech.

#397 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Never had this issue on mine.

The more I work on my pins the more "flaws" from the factory I see. These things were put together in such an imprecise manner.

Quoted from dothedoo:

Interesting solution. Both my QS and SG screech.

I noticed this on the glass of one pin I had and sold. I suppose those rubber/plastic channels shrink with age and let the glass sit lower, or perhaps the receiver was located just a tad too high on the cabinet. I think I will take a file to receiver and file that lip down a little bit as a preventive measure.

If you are interested in 2 PDI wide body Sterns that makes 3. I'm looking for 2 more to join.

#398 5 years ago

Meteor is fine but my Nine Ball is screech city. It went away a little bit when i took the plastic channels off and re-attached them after paint, but I did notice a big scratch on my glass actually

#399 5 years ago

Anybody got Cheetah playfield plastics for sale? Looking for the lower right ball guide next to the flipper....

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

Anybody got Cheetah playfield plastics for sale? Looking for the lower right ball guide next to the flipper....

I have some Cheetah plastics. I have the ball guides but the tips by the flippers are broken. I would prefer to see them all but have not been actively presenting them and I don't know how to price them.

IMG_5071 (resized).JPGIMG_5071 (resized).JPG

IMG_5072 (resized).JPGIMG_5072 (resized).JPGIMG_5073 (resized).JPGIMG_5073 (resized).JPG

IMG_5082 (resized).JPGIMG_5082 (resized).JPGIMG_5083 (resized).JPGIMG_5083 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 169.00
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 959.00
$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/8?hl=weatherbymag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.