Coin_door_5 (resized).jpg
Coin_door_4 (resized).jpg
Coin_door_3 (resized).jpg
Coin_door_2 (resized).jpg
Coin_door_1 (resized).jpg
2279593.pdf (PDF preview)
A871E28C-89E8-4448-9C3F-8BEB6ABC8D3D.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,079 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 122.
#4401 11 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

OMFG!!!! You just saved me! I put together my star gazer a few months ago and the everything worked as far as lighting, coils, and displays, but I had some freaking switch issue and it was driving me crazy. I definitely didn't add diodes to my pops and now everything makes sense. I want to punch my screen and scream right now!

I remember you coming on and talking about something electrical you were having problems with. Glad to be of service.

#4402 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I remember you coming on and talking about something electrical you were having problems with. Glad to be of service.

Yep, just crazy switch matrix that I though was something to do with my coin door wiring since I was using a MPU100 door and assumed I made some mistakes when redoing the wiring there, but nope, read your post and instantly realized what it must be, or at least I sure hope it is. I've got he playfield sitting in my spare room right now so I'll check it out after practice today and if that seems to be the issue get it knocked out and move the cabinet in from my garage and see whats going on.

#4403 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Oooooh, I like that you added the light wires to the Molex connector. I am going to have to redo mine to match yours. Nice !!!

Yeah, I was going to say, that is pretty smart

#4404 11 months ago

How times have changed....
NOW, every body wants there pinball components designed for easy maintenance.

#4405 11 months ago

Wow great suggestions everyone. That helps me alot

#4406 11 months ago

And sadly my pops already had diodes, back to the drawing board

#4407 11 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

And sadly my pops already had diodes, back to the drawing board

What is your Star Gazer doing? Or not doing?

#4408 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What is your Star Gazer doing? Or not doing?

Switch matrix issue. I'm sure I just have a diode or something backwards or shorted. I'll be going through and taking an extra close look soon. In test all coils fire correctly lights work, and displays work so I'm sure I just messed up wiring somewhere in there.

#4409 11 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Switch matrix issue. I'm sure I just have a diode or something backwards or shorted. I'll be going through and taking an extra close look soon. In test all coils fire correctly lights work, and displays work so I'm sure I just messed up wiring somewhere in there.

What kind of issue? what is it doing? Or not doing? What line in the matrix is whacky? The first five wires on the MPU J-4 connector feed the switch matrix. Maybe if you R & R one wire at a time from the connector you could isolate in which line of switches your problem is coming from.

#4410 11 months ago

It's all of them from what I recall. I went through removing the wires one by one on that connector that was what was really throwing me off. Anyway no biggie. I've got a few more weeks of coaching for wrestling season and then I'll dig back into it.

#4411 11 months ago

speaking of switch issues. I have a question for you guys while were on the subject.

My galaxy had all alltek boards and worked 100% that I was aware of. Added a switch for coin up to the coin return button as well to add credits.

I used the BDE/GPE kits to rebuild the original boards, installed the original boards. Game functions and plays but when I ran out of credits, I could not coin up. The coin up credits dont do anything, but if i press the middle one (coin return button as well) The left kicker for the galaxy shot fires.
Do I look at the switch matrix and do the column x row lines to that switch? I can take video if that helps as well.

#4412 11 months ago

Is your new switch isolated from the coin door? It sounds like it’s shorting.

#4413 11 months ago
Quoted from dmartin244:

I'm looking to buy the coin door entry bezel for a Stars machine. Willing to buy the whole coin door if needed but thought maybe someone would be parting one out or had some parts laying around. Thanks

check Swinks page on Shapeways. I know they have the coin chute but not sure if they have the bezel you're looking for. Worth a look anyway

#4414 11 months ago

these are the current coin related parts available at the moment
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkscoin&sort=newest

#4415 11 months ago

How come this Stars repro play field has not been talked about? I was looking at Thrillhouse's Beehive play field protector site and saw this. If this has talked on pinside I sure missed it.

https://www.beehivepinball.com/product/stern-stars-reproduction-playfield

image (resized).jpeg

#4416 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How come this Stars repro play field has not been talked about? I was looking at Thrillhouse's Beehive play field protector site and saw this. If this has talked on pinside I sure missed it.
https://www.beehivepinball.com/product/stern-stars-reproduction-playfield
[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/search?s=1&q=beehive+stars&include_basement=0#results

#4417 11 months ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reach-for-the-stars-stern-stars-club-space-travelers-welcome/page/5#post-5850665

There hasn't been a lot of information released about it, really - kind of snuck up when CPR announced theirs were ready to ship. There hasn't really been anything released about it since then, either.... just some discussions and pics on the alternate artwork version.

#4418 11 months ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Is your new switch isolated from the coin door? It sounds like it’s shorting.

would the alltek boards, ignore that? I will go look to see about switches etc, but I don't get how a switch would fire a coil unless it was bridged. However I am unfamiliar to the wiring/boardset.

#4419 11 months ago

It hasn't been talked about a lot since it's an $800 playfield to go in an $800 game. Don't get me wrong, one of my favorite games ever and I'd love to get a new playfield for it... but the price of admission is just too high.

#4420 11 months ago

I need a Meteor shooter rod. The over length of the original is 8 5/8" and the rod is 8". I can't find a rod with those dimensions. PBresource has an 8 5/8" with a
7 3/4" rod. Will this work as a substitute?

#4421 11 months ago

So I found the saucer kickout mech , but now I’m trying to find a replacement for the saucer switch. Old part number is SW-467.

Would this work as a replacement? It doesn’t have the adjustment bar though.

https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-secondary-end-of-stroke-switch-normally-open.html

And does anyone know the replacement switch used in the drop target assemblies....the switches that mount on the back of the assembly, not on the bottom.

#4422 11 months ago

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/214878943539773/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment&__cft__[0]=AZUq6zYtmPA3Dga2bZZfx_DKZPYHHPXv6BStRnho_QCk-w5bXLE61ukxk727gZDpec5I0KDj6xqp5XPN3j9wVwy8drdIMnnL1gFAIj6VBdyamaJhkXz4KMifixsone4wHuaYBw8Ct8gZIODLTLHKSpnU&__tn__=*bH-R
First off I'm not attacking this seller ... looking for perspective. Contacted this seller to ask what price he sold for? He said the full 2k. Is this feasible? The Nine ball I have is in better condition from what I can see in the pics. Just had the boards gone thru by Eugene Marsh, playfield protector, new drop targets installed, backglass triple thick sealed, new set of plastics and game thourghly cleaned and scrubbed.
what value?

#4423 11 months ago

Pics here

16103285305338128485009618800724 (resized).jpg16103284639866585051245158123710 (resized).jpg1610328436747471501122843444766 (resized).jpg16103285746727023163219515386986 (resized).jpg
#4424 11 months ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/214878943539773/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment&__cft__[0]=AZUq6zYtmPA3Dga2bZZfx_DKZPYHHPXv6BStRnho_QCk-w5bXLE61ukxk727gZDpec5I0KDj6xqp5XPN3j9wVwy8drdIMnnL1gFAIj6VBdyamaJhkXz4KMifixsone4wHuaYBw8Ct8gZIODLTLHKSpnU&__tn__=*bH-R
First off I'm not attacking this seller ... looking for perspective. Contacted this seller to ask what price he sold for? He said the full 2k. Is this feasible? The Nine ball I have is in better condition from what I can see in the pics. Just had the boards gone thru by Eugene Marsh, playfield protector, new drop targets installed, backglass triple thick sealed, new set of plastics and game thourghly cleaned and scrubbed.
what value?

The link isn’t working. Where was this sale?

#4426 11 months ago

I have all the red posts, original plastics (cracked) and new lockbar reciever installed.

#4427 11 months ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

I have all the red posts, original plastics (cracked) and new lockbar reciever installed.

Are you selling it or just asking what it’s worth?

#4428 11 months ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

Quoted from Hyperion:

what value?

Most of the classic sterns are way up in price. I paid 13 or 1400 for my Stars and it was not 100 functional. I wanted one and had been looking a while so jumped on it. Nine ball is a game I would like one day and those seem to be going nowhere but up.

#4429 11 months ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Are you selling it or just asking what it’s worth?

Trying to figure out if I want to take on finishing touchup on playfield or move on?

#4430 11 months ago

Can someone tell me what year or game Stern changed the cabinet (not the head) dimensions from that of Nugent? I need a replacement cabinet for my Nugent (termites), and I thought a Lightning cabinet from '81 would work, but it's taller towards the back than the Nugent was. Thanks.

#4431 11 months ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Can someone tell me what year or game Stern changed the cabinet (not the head) dimensions from that of Nugent? I need a replacement cabinet for my Nugent (termites), and I thought a Lightning cabinet from '81 would work, but it's taller towards the back than the Nugent was. Thanks.

Lightning is unique in that it has two playfields so the cabinet has to be taller. Others will chime in, but I think any of the standard sized cabinets should work.

#4432 10 months ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Quoted from bluespin:

Lightning is unique in that it has two playfields so the cabinet has to be taller. Others will chime in, but I think any of the standard sized cabinets should work.

I never thought about the Lightning cabinet being taller in the back. I just measured 4 of my Sterns and all measure 3" taller in the back than in the front.

You could make the lighting cabinet work. I don't think you would have any problem at all. So what if the cab is taller in the back? Who cares? Lots of pins with all of the toys have cabs way taller in the back.

Here is what you can do: Stern supported its play fields along the 4 corners with either wooden play field supports (Dracula) and in later cabs, the play fields are supported by 4 metal "Z" angles. Measuring from the BOTTOM of you cab, measure how far from the bottom the of the cab the front pair of supports measure. And then measure the back pair of play field supports and see how far from the bottom they are. I'm betting that ALL of these old Stern cabs carry the same measurements from the bottom of the cab.

If the play field supports in the Lighting differ from your Nugent cabinet, then move the Lighting supports to match the measurements your Nugent.

If you wanted, you could shovel your Nugent play field into a DMD cabinet, for example. Got an old Scared Stiff cab taking up space? Load it up with your Nugent play field.

Don't worry how tall it is in the back. As long as you you have the play field setting correctly from the bottom of the cab, you are golden.

#4433 10 months ago

Quick spit polish on my pickup from yesterday. Still have some board work to go, but hopefully I'll get her working quickly.

20210111_150209 (resized).jpg20210111_150219 (resized).jpg20210111_150237 (resized).jpg20210111_150246 (resized).jpg
#4434 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I never thought about the Lightning cabinet being taller in the back. I just measured 4 of my Sterns and all measure 3" taller in the back than in the front.

Yep my Meteor is 2 inches shorter in the back than the lightning. I can make it work, but cosmetically, it looks off where the stencil doesn't stay uniform towards the back. I didn't realize that when I was painting it.

What playfield incline do people set their playfields to on early SS's? Mine is sitting at 5.5 degrees right now, with the back leg levelers all the way out.

16104002066815999547714774844777 (resized).jpg
#4435 10 months ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Yep my Meteor is 2 inches shorter in the back than the lightning. I can make it work, but cosmetically, it looks off where the stencil doesn't stay uniform towards the back. I didn't realize that when I was painting it.
What playfield incline do people set their playfields to on early SS's? Mine is sitting at 5.5 degrees right now, with the back leg levelers all the way out. [quoted image]

I am at 6% on Catacomb. Around 5.5% on Seawitch. And Big Game is up there at 7%. Big Game handles 7% in fine form. Catacomb is fine at 6%. Seawitch seems to play better at 5.5% but I think I am going to take it back up to 6%.

Always use 3" levelers on the back legs. However, for Big Game, I have 31" legs on the back with 2" levelers". 31" legs are just a little too high so I make adjustments by using the front levelers.

Take your Stars up to 6% and see how you like it. If you don't like it you can lower it back down.

#4436 10 months ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Quick spit polish on my pickup from yesterday. Still have some board work to go, but hopefully I'll get her working quickly.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats!!! Stars has quickly become a favorite among my buddies, and it's an awesome game for multiplayer. Can't get enough of those spinner rips!!!

#4437 10 months ago

So I am still interested in doing more classic Stern titles not being done. Like I have said not a art guy. So if someone has the skills to clean up the big game file maybe it can get done this year. I am moving forward on em playfields with Rick PPS this year, maybe as early as next month. Little demand for these & he will get the art. He wants the printer to do a test print, & adjust the colors to new plastic set available.

#4438 10 months ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

So I am still interested in doing more classic Stern titles not being done. Like I have said not a art guy. So if someone has the skills to clean up the big game file maybe it can get done this year. I am moving forward on em playfields with Rick PPS this year, maybe as early as next month. Little demand for these & he will get the art. He wants the printer to do a test print, & adjust the colors to new plastic set available.

Of the MPU-200 Sterns, there are Galaxy, Ali, Big Game, Freefall, Lightning, Split Second, Iron Maiden, Viper, Dragonfist. Big Game would probably be your best bet, followed by Ali.

These below are all taken.

Meteor= CPR
Seawitch = Greatwich
Cheetah = CPR ???
Quicksilver = Mirco
Star Gazer = Greatwich
Flight 2000 = CPR
Nine Ball = Mirco
Catacomb = CPR

Of MPU-100 pins Stringray, Stars, Dracula, and Magic are probably the only 4 that would be worth your time.

Not too many people are art guys. That is a challenge.

Can Rich help you ge the art work?

#4439 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Of MPU-100 pins Stringray, Stars, Dracula, and Magic are probably the only 4 that would be worth your time.

Just what we need, a third entity doing stars....

Yes, Big Game would be the pick of the list as well. (Much as I would like a dragonfist pf, unless people decide to start building them like SG and QS's, I don't see that happening....)

#4440 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Of the MPU-200 Sterns, there are Galaxy, Ali, Big Game, Freefall, Lightning, Split Second, Iron Maiden, Viper, Dragonfist. Big Game would probably be your best bet, followed by Ali.
These below are all taken.
Meteor= CPR
Seawitch = Greatwich
Cheetah = CPR ???
Quicksilver = Mirco
Star Gazer = Greatwich
Flight 2000 = CPR
Nine Ball = Mirco
Catacomb = CPR
Not too many people are art guys. That is a challenge.
Can Rich help you ge the art work?

Behive Pinball did Stars, and I think CPR also did this title recently.

I think you can add Trident to the mpu-100 list of titles that would sell well.

#4441 10 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

Just what we need, a third entity doing stars....
Yes, Big Game would be the pick of the list as well. (Much as I would like a dragonfist pf, unless people decide to start building them like SG and QS's, I don't see that happening....)

I would also love a Dragonfist playfield.

#4442 10 months ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Behive Pinball did Stars, and I think CPR also did this title recently.
I think you can add Trident to the mpu-100 list of titles that would sell well.

The point I am trying to make is there are not too many classic Stern play fields that would be worth the financial and time-involved risks if John is wanting to do more Stern play fields. Sorry for not being more explicit.

#4443 10 months ago

Beehive is also working on Galaxy.

#4444 10 months ago

I'd be all over a Trident playfield, but again, the whole print-ready art problem.

#4445 10 months ago

If a Dragonfist playfield was available, I would definitely purchase & do a scratch build. If you contact the guy who did the restore thread, he probably has a scanned version of his airburshed playfield that he might be willing to share?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dragonfist-restore-and-facelift

I love the thought of creating more of these ultrarare titles for people to see & enjoy. Dragonfist is a great title for a build because it's cool, unique & doesn't contain any super difficult-to-source mechs for a build.

#4446 10 months ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

If a Dragonfist playfield was available, I would definitely purchase & do a scratch build. If you contact the guy who did the restore thread, he probably has a scanned version of his airburshed playfield that he might be willing to share?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dragonfist-restore-and-facelift
I love the thought of creating more of these ultrarare titles for people to see & enjoy. Dragonfist is a great title for a build because it's cool, unique & doesn't contain any super difficult-to-source mechs for a build.

Would be great if people have the resource to refabricate the 3,4,+ style drop target banks etc,
for these games.

#4447 10 months ago

All Stern Solid State could be scratch built really, the only one that would be near impossible would be Viper because of the round turret in the center of the playfield, Ramps could be made for Iron Maiden, Split Second and Lightning.

#4448 10 months ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Would be great if people have the resource to refabricate the 3,4,+ style drop target banks etc,
for these games.

I know of someone who is looking into this but I don't know how far along he is.

Actually, after seeing one of the drop targets for The Beatles, I would rather have The Beatles style of drops. They are small and light weight. Now, if we could get Stern to sell them on the side for a low price.....they are nice.

But you still need transformers.

#4449 10 months ago
Quoted from mappy_mouse:

All Stern Solid State could be scratch built really, the only one that would be near impossible would be Viper because of the round turret in the center of the playfield, Ramps could be made for Iron Maiden, Split Second and Lightning.

Nine Ball has that large drop target assembly; Unless you want rip off all of the F2K drop assemblies. Also, Nine Ball has that single drop target up at the horse shoe. So you would need source for that.

#4450 10 months ago
Quoted from mappy_mouse:

There is a well respected pinsider with some real nice Sterns in his collection. He had a Viper and an Iron Maiden that he cleaned up real nice and then sold. I respect his collection and when he sold Viper and Iron Maiden that was my signal that in the playing category these two pins are not ones to chase or worry about.

There are 6,079 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 122.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside