New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 225496)

Stern Electronics Club (1977-1984).

By Mitch

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,232 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by HoakyPoaky
  • Topic is favorited by 146 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,378 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

22F26A21-733C-4DD7-8EFF-E4A3C635E28B (resized).jpeg
E08C4C93-EAF1-492E-AB43-50BA031CC6D3 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4678 (resized).jpg
IMG_4677 (resized).jpg
20201123_191138 (resized).jpg
20201123_191118 (resized).jpg
20201123_191320 (resized).jpg
20201123_191303 (resized).jpg
20201123_191248 (resized).jpg
20201123_191234 (resized).jpg
20201104_163220 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 9.37.41 PM (resized).png
IMG_4976 (resized).JPG
IMG_4979 (resized).JPG
IMG_4930 (resized).JPG
80DE86F3-73F8-4E8B-898C-477D91B37F92 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4232 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 85.
#4151 23 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Anyone have a Nine ball with a nice playfield that can post some glass off up close pics of the playfield above the flippers to 3/4 up the playfield?
Scans would be even better. jjsmooth is restoring one and needs help.
Thanks!

IMG_4626 (resized).jpegIMG_4627 (resized).jpegIMG_4628 (resized).jpegIMG_4629 (resized).jpegIMG_4630 (resized).jpeg
#4152 23 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I can’t leave a review at their pinside store so I will post here.
@Upkick Pinball has the apron cards, they look great and are laminated. Totally recommend. This will be used in home so they are puuuuurfect[quoted image]

The cards look great!

#4153 23 days ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is pinball gold.

#4154 23 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There is no magic bullet for you. That is the worst screw in the world to access.
You have to remove one of the coin release bars. It is not hard. You have to remove 2 "C" clips that hold the bar to the pivot points.
[quoted image][quoted image]
Then you need to remove the two screws that attach the coin chute to the master frame. You will probably have to remove the chute, as well.
[quoted image]
Then you need to remove the bracket that holds the lockout coil.
[quoted image]
There is also a lockout bar that may cause you headaches. But I can't remember.
Then you have to remove the entire frame assembly. And then you can access your screw.
[quoted image]
It is not hard, but it a PIA. Take LOTS of pictures !

Thanks cotton, ugh when I get bored soon at night, I’ll probably do this haha. The screw is out and isn’t letting coins fall in...it’s driving me nuts

#4155 23 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Thanks cotton, ugh when I get bored soon at night, I’ll probably do this haha. The screw is out and isn’t letting coins fall in...it’s driving me nuts

Try coming in from the other side and try to shove a small tie wrap on the empty hole. Maybe you will get lucky.

But can't you use the other switch to roll up credits?

#4156 23 days ago

Anybody have a coin bezel they would sell? Need one for my 9ball resto.

1604770501033359533891403993877 (resized).jpg
#4157 23 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Try coming in from the other side and try to shove a small tie wrap on the empty hole. Maybe you will get lucky.
But can't you use the other switch to roll up credits?

Oh I can, and the middle is set with the coin return credit up. But leaving it is just making me nuts

#4158 23 days ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Man that is one nice PF... if only we could make repro from that one

#4159 23 days ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

So, I've been thinking this for a while, and my thought is to redo these machines in MPF (or SkeletonGame) and truly build them from scratch using P3-ROC (or FAST or OPP or whatever) new off the shelf mechs and such. The big thing that is missing from off the shelf is the drop target banks. I've been thinking of trying to design an expandable DT mech in say 1, 3, and 5 unit sizes that could be stacked together to make 2,4,6, 7.. banks and could be configured with or without individual drop coils and my idea that started it all is that targets could be swapped out with ones that have tops (above the playfield part) that are made like classic Stern, Gottieb, Bally, whatever you want. basically a universal replacement drop target mech for any machine you could think of and would be great for homebrew as well.
So far thinking is as far as I've gotten on this plan. Anybody feel free to take my idea and run with it.

Good minds think alike. I have already prototyped something along these lines, however it’s still using some of the old parts. I have started to test new replacement parts that would allow someone with let’s say a stock 5 bank to take it apart and change it to a 3 bank or 4 bank easily. The kits would also allow you to upsize an existing 3 bank to something like a 4 or 5. The owner would still be responsible to buy the new coils, plastic drops, leaf switches as they require them. All metal parts would be part of my kits.

#4160 22 days ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Good minds think alike. I have already prototyped something along these lines, however it’s still using some of the old parts. I have started to test new replacement parts that would allow someone with let’s say a stock 5 bank to take it apart and change it to a 3 bank or 4 bank easily. The kits would also allow you to upsize an existing 3 bank to something like a 4 or 5. The owner would still be responsible to buy the new coils, plastic drops, leaf switches as they require them. All metal parts would be part of my kits.

wolffcub do you have pics or more details on this conversion design?

Would your approach help to avoid metal cutting of the F2K unit to yield a memory 5 bank using the parts I have on the left side of this pic? Thx

5 vs 5 (resized).jpeg
#4161 21 days ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Would your approach help to avoid metal cutting of the F2K unit to yield a memory 5 bank using the parts I have on the left side of this pic? Thx
[quoted image]

Conversation of a style like flight is part of my plans but it’s just down the road. My first hurdle is just the non memory units then I will check. I have a flight 2k also so figuring out what to do should be easy.

#4162 21 days ago
Quoted from emsrph:

[quoted image]

Is the one you want to convert to exactly like the flight one but with 5 not spaced out ?

#4163 21 days ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Is the one you want to convert to exactly like the flight one but with 5 not spaced out ?

Yes, 5 targets not spaced out. The ‘new’ 5 bank will be for Cheetah. Five drop targets total. Four memory coils in spots 1 thru 4

#4164 19 days ago

What diode is used on the switches?

The schematic for the switch matrix and solenoid circuits say “All diodes are 1N4004”. But switch diodes are tiny and not 1N4004?

EB8829A6-B769-4242-A1B8-4E687874FD7D (resized).png
#4165 19 days ago
Quoted from emsrph:

But switch diodes are tiny and not 1N4004?

They're probably 1N4148 diodes.

#4166 18 days ago

I lost track of this page sometime back and thought it might have been taken down. Now it is like taking a trip down Stern Memory Avenue. This page was put up before I bought my first classic Stern 5 years ago. How things change. Especially the prices.

Maybe you already know about it. Maybe you don't. If you don't, then enjoy.

Cheap, Pretty and Fast: A Look at Classic Stern Pinballs

https://gameroomblog.com/reviews/cheap-pretty-and-fast-a-look-at-classic-stern-pinballs

#4167 18 days ago
Quoted from emsrph:

What diode is used on the switches?
The schematic for the switch matrix and solenoid circuits say “All diodes are 1N4004”. But switch diodes are tiny and not 1N4004?
[quoted image]

Older games had 1N4004 diodes; 1977 area.
Bally changed to 1N4148.
Stern kept the 1N4004.
Silicone diodes have "x" voltage drop... depends on design.

#4168 18 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I lost track of this page sometime back and thought it might have been taken down. Now it is like taking a trip down Stern Memory Avenue. This page was put up before I bought my first classic Stern 5 years ago. How things change. Especially the prices.
Maybe you already know about it. Maybe you don't. If you don't, then enjoy.
Cheap, Pretty and Fast: A Look at Classic Stern Pinballs
https://gameroomblog.com/reviews/cheap-pretty-and-fast-a-look-at-classic-stern-pinballs

Enjoyed that cotton, thanks for sharing.

#4169 18 days ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Enjoyed that cotton, thanks for sharing.

Here is another trip down memory lane.

Pinside. 7 years back. Before John Greatwich started reproducing Star Gazer and Seawitch play fields. Some were dreaming of $2000.00 remakes of Catacomb.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-the-classic-collection-would-you-buy-one

#4170 18 days ago

Forgot to post this here, circa 1983. I'm facing West on Diversey. The Stern (old Chicago Coin) plant is a block behind me on the left. Note the Stewart-Warner plant tower is in the background on the right. That massive plant was demolished in 1993-94. There is a time-lapse video of it on youtube.

20201109_154804 (resized).jpg
#4171 18 days ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Forgot to post this here, circa 1983. I'm facing West on Diversey. The Stern (old Chicago Coin) plant is a block behind me on the left. Note the Stewart-Warner plant tower is in the background on the right. That massive plant was demolished in 1993-94. There is a time-lapse video of it on youtube.[quoted image]

You drop the coolest historical nuggets all over the place. Much appreciated!

#4172 18 days ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Forgot to post this here, circa 1983. I'm facing West on Diversey. The Stern (old Chicago Coin) plant is a block behind me on the left. Note the Stewart-Warner plant tower is in the background on the right. That massive plant was demolished in 1993-94. There is a time-lapse video of it on youtube.[quoted image]

Located down in the industrial district. I imagine working in the Stern factory was about as romantic as some of the factory jobs I had.

I used to build Coleman stoves and lanterns; I do not have fond memories of working there.

#4173 18 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Located down in the industrial district. I imagine working in the Stern factory was about as romantic as some of the factory jobs I had.
I used to build Coleman stoves and lanterns; I do not have fond memories of working there.

I remember the boxes and instructions for our Coleman Stove and Lantern; "The Coleman Company, Wichita, Kansas" Always use genuine Coleman Silk Mantles, Generators and Fuel for best results. Don't forget the filtered funnel. Then they went Propane....

For the business trips that I flew into Wichita for, I never even looked up the Coleman HQ and Plant. I guess I'm slipping....

I see they are still on Hydraulic Avenue.

That Industrial area is basically all Townhouses these days. Just like where the main Bally plant was two miles away from Stern/Chicago Coin. Note that the Bally plant already changed to Moloney in the 1985 pic attached. But the Bally Icon is still on the building.
20200229_150301 - Copy (resized).jpg20201019_205908_001 (resized).jpg

#4174 18 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yeah, but not as fun to play a stove or lantern.

#4175 17 days ago
Quoted from MrBally:

For the business trips that I flew into Wichita for, I never even looked up the Coleman HQ and Plant. I guess I'm slipping....
I see they are still on Hydraulic Avenue.

Google Earth to the rescue

No windows in this building. Like most other companies, a lot of the manufacturing went to China. We do have The Coleman Museum downtown, though. I have not visited.

Sheldon Coleman, the founder's grandson, moved on after Sunbeam took Coleman over, and went on to start Big Dog Motorcycles. Big Dog went down the tubes during 2008-2009. Today, Sheldon, his wife, and son are farming hemp about 15 miles east of me. They are jumping on the CBD bandwagon; Bigtime.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 5.13.38 PM (resized).png

#4176 17 days ago

almost looks like it says supreme on that building.

#4177 14 days ago

It looks like Homepin will be making Bally/Stern transformers with the rectifier board. It's good these will be more available now. Hopefully this will be a cheaper option for anyone needing a transformer for their game.

https://www.facebook.com/homepin.factory/posts/839172353521576

homepin_transformer (resized).jpg
#4178 12 days ago

Cool product. Consider not supporting terrible people.

#4179 11 days ago

Anyone know the part number to order from Pinball Resource for a replacement spinner actuator? Also, does anyone make replacement spinner switches?

#4180 11 days ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Anyone know the part number to order from Pinball Resource for a replacement spinner actuator? Also, does anyone make replacement spinner switches?

This should help you out with info.

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 5.06.37 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 5.05.47 PM (resized).png

#4181 11 days ago

Now spoken for...

Paying it forward.

Do any of you want a used SDB-100? Fix it or pull parts from it.

It has a few burned transistors, etc.
5EE86055-5A31-4A26-9F3B-F1E020D27DDA (resized).jpeg80DE86F3-73F8-4E8B-898C-477D91B37F92 (resized).jpegB03A6222-4647-4873-A3E7-D95E3AC858E6 (resized).jpegB940BD27-8BC4-4AFC-B644-D23FB15CBB28 (resized).jpeg

#4182 11 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This should help you out with info.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Right, but the specific part number(s) are what I’m asking. Since these are substitute “Gottlieb” parts, I can’t reference the Stern numbers. I generally try to approach PBR orders with all my ducks in a row and I want to end up with quality spinners when I’m done.

#4183 11 days ago

Right, but the specific part number(s) are what I’m asking. Since these are substitute “Gottlieb” parts, I can’t reference the Stern numbers. I generally try to approach PBR orders with all my ducks in a row and I want to end up with quality spinners when I’m done.

You asked for a general part number. I went with that.

Sorry, I don't have the Stern part number. Maybe someone else can help you out with that.

But the first one on the list, with the short blade, the B-8707 is the one you want. If the stack is too high you can always shorten it.

For the actuator rod, you want the GTB-A16381. It works as a nice substitute. You have to cut to size and bend to fit.

If you talk to Steve and tell him you want to make an order and some part numbers you have but that you also need something and you don't know what the Stern number is. he will help you out.

#4184 11 days ago

Or email PBR for help. They are always good about finding what you need if you know the games name and at least have a picture of what you want with a description.

#4185 11 days ago

I should've been clearer that I knew people ordered GTB parts as replacements but I wasn't sure which GTB part numbers were the best substitutes. Thanks for the tips, guys. And for the expectation about having to cut/bend the actuator to shape.

#4186 11 days ago

I should've been clearer that I knew people ordered GTB parts as replacements but I wasn't sure which GTB part numbers were the best substitutes. Thanks for the tips, guys. And for the expectation about having to cut/bend the actuator to shape.

If for any reason, I like to dub the new leaf switches into the old switch stacks...
I would measure the over all length of the spinner switch... and give that information
to PBR.

#4187 10 days ago

The credit display on my Catacomb is starting to show a little bit of extra light down by the Zero display. It is not static. It is flickering constantly.

Is this something that can be fixed or is it a signal that this display is going bad? I do not know how to trouble shoot a display.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

IMG_4930 (resized).JPG

#4188 10 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The credit display on my Catacomb is starting to show a little bit of extra light down by the Zero display. It is not static. It is flickering constantly.
Is this something that can be fixed or is it a signal that this display is going bad? I do not know how to trouble shoot a display.
[quoted image]

Unfortunately that digit may be starting to outgass - it will take awhile to die completely but its demise is unfortunately inevitable.

#4189 10 days ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Unfortunately that digit may be starting to outgass - it will take awhile to die completely but its demise is unfortunately inevitable.

That's what I was afraid of hearing.

Thank you.

#4190 10 days ago

Did you check the High Voltage?
Is it at the 170Vdc range?
If it is 230VDC you high voltage section might be bad.

#4191 10 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That's what I was afraid of hearing.
Thank you.

I have had resistors go out of specs & drive transistors degrade over the years.

#4192 9 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]

Here's a great article on repairing early Bally/Stern solid state displays.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-how-to-troubleshoot-and-repair-1981-ballystern-displays

#4193 8 days ago

So after a few weeks of solid playing QS with the upgraded 13B-6 transformer, I'm almost certain there has been no difference in flipper strength, or any pep in performance versus the 13B-3.

One thing that I'm taking more note of, is the dimming of GI and insert lights every time I flip. I'd be surprised if it's designed this way. I can only assume there's a voltage/current drop in the system somewhere, which would account for my feeling that the flippers are a little sluggish.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

#4194 8 days ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

So after a few weeks of solid playing QS with the upgraded 13B-6 transformer, I'm almost certain there has been no difference in flipper strength, or any pep in performance versus the 13B-3.
One thing that I'm taking more note of, is the dimming of GI and insert lights every time I flip. I'd be surprised if it's designed this way. I can only assume there's a voltage/current drop in the system somewhere, which would account for my feeling that the flippers are a little sluggish.

it was discussed at length in many thread. It has always been there but with LED it is more pronounced. Quite a few orginal mod to help with it, one is to buy an external PSU to feed the GI separately

#4195 8 days ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

it was discussed at length in many thread. It has always been there but with LED it is more pronounced. Quite a few orginal mod to help with it, one is to buy an external PSU to feed the GI separately

I did see a couple of threads that do mention exactly what you’ve written and it may well be the case. I might video it as it seems quite pronounced. Along with my seemingly weak flippers and slings, something just feels amiss.

#4196 8 days ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

do your other games feel weak or just QS?

#4197 8 days ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

do your other games feel weak or just QS?

Just QS

#4198 8 days ago

maybe your rectifier board is the issue if you were using the same one with previous transformer with same issue. super odd idk

#4199 8 days ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

maybe your rectifier board is the issue if you were using the same one with previous transformer with same issue. super odd idk

Brand new rectifier board.

#4200 8 days ago

I've had problems with new rottendog rectifier boards before. idk man seems weird. maybe swap with stars and see what happens.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 169.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
There are 4232 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside