Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,737 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 215.
#3501 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks.
If we could get an economical fix for the transformers, with the classic Stern play fields being produced, and the back glasses, too, it is amazing to think of how many of these classic Sterns could be built up new.

Wasn't someone going to quantify exact what made the -6 better than the -3?

How do you test a transformer for max load or capacity anyway??

#3502 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yup, I'd be down for a few to keep around.

Would it be feasible to swap in pf's of other sterns that use the same board sets? I wouldn't mind having another PF of a game to swap in and change things up. I do have all the alltek boards in now.

I don't see why you could not do that. But now you will have a Nine Ball with a Seawitch back glass.

#3503 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't see why you could not do that. But now you will have a Nine Ball with a Seawitch back glass.

did they place the displays in different locations for each game? it is like pin2k or p3, just swap some things around and have a new game without having to have multiple cabinets

#3504 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

did they place the displays in different locations for each game?

Yes. And Catacomb is a completely different animal.

#3505 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yes. And Catacomb is a completely different animal.

Ah, then unless you just dealt with the backglass, or left the locations but created new translite to keep the art...seems like a cool idea but some work. I would still think having a few pf's would be a nice swap over to try something different, but also understand the issues there.

#3506 3 years ago

Looking to replace my screw/posts/studs.
I went to the HW store and found the #6 1-1/2" (first one in pic on left) But wanted to verify the other two.....
The middle screw looks like a round/pan head wood screw but 1-5/8" (can't find)
and the far right is the wood screw post that looks like a bally part but out of stock, so it could either go with the DE version or the gottlieb one? thoughts?

IMG_9680 (resized).jpgIMG_9680 (resized).jpg
#3507 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

and the far right is the wood screw post that looks like a bally part but out of stock, so it could either go with the DE version or the gottlieb one? thoughts?

I just use these for tophat replacement https://www.pinballlife.com/machine-poststud-530-5010-02.html

#3508 3 years ago

Can someone please confirm wiring on the line filter? I’m nearly completion of my Quicksilver resto. So far so good, taking pictures of absolutely everything is key... sadly I didn’t take pics of the line filter. And the wiring diagram isn’t helping me.

Brown and blue wires coming from Line Filter, with a black/green and white/yellow loose.

0D8817E8-2856-4975-88A7-EFCC4A304CCC (resized).jpeg0D8817E8-2856-4975-88A7-EFCC4A304CCC (resized).jpeg449C0D31-705F-4FD7-9E2B-FE4833C3C34D (resized).jpeg449C0D31-705F-4FD7-9E2B-FE4833C3C34D (resized).jpegCF05BD6C-6B7E-45B2-A8CE-4ABA987B4213 (resized).pngCF05BD6C-6B7E-45B2-A8CE-4ABA987B4213 (resized).png
#3509 3 years ago

Let me know if this helps. From a stern galaxy

D2FA5968-2B3C-4729-833E-634D30F80F30 (resized).jpegD2FA5968-2B3C-4729-833E-634D30F80F30 (resized).jpeg

Edit: looks like from mine, the blue black solder together and the yellow/white go to brown.

#3510 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

[quoted image]
Edit: looks like from mine, the blue black solder together and the yellow/white go to brown.

The blue -> black makes sense. Is your other wire grey?

#3511 3 years ago

I believe the nomenclature is “supposed” to be black (hot) to brown, blue (neutral) to white. But whats really important here is the orientation the line cord wires on the top side of the filter. Meaning if the blue is connected to the black wires in the cabinet harness, then the hot from the line cord needs to be connected to that side. Think black to black. White to white. The brown and blue wires coming off the filter are just bridging the gap so to speak.

I just did this when i replaced the line cord on my seawitch. I read vids guide and was confused as to why my wires were reversed to his. What i found was the wire with the ribbed insulation (which is how you identify which is which since original cords do not have black or white insulation) was connected to the opposite side as his, which meant they had to hook up the blue to the black wires, instead of the white. Someone had posted a comment in his thread with the exact same thing and it was suggested it was wired wrong at the factory (according to the color scheme). But my seawitch and F2K are like that so maybe Stern didnt agree with the standard wire color standards, but they are hooked up correctly regardless lol.

Here is the pic from Vid’s Guide

65C77B04-4993-4034-B7A7-13D4D62BAE68 (resized).jpeg65C77B04-4993-4034-B7A7-13D4D62BAE68 (resized).jpeg
#3512 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

[quoted image]

Might want to get some tape over that blue wire

#3513 3 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

I believe the nomenclature is “supposed” to be black (hot) to brown, blue (neutral) to white. But whats really important here is the orientation the line cord wires on the top side of the filter. Meaning if the blue is connected to the black wires in the cabinet harness, then the hot from the line cord needs to be connected to that side. Think black to black. White to white. The brown and blue wires coming off the filter are just bridging the gap so to speak.
I just did this when i replaced the line cord on my seawitch. I read vids guide and was confused as to why my wires were reversed to his. What i found was the wire with the ribbed insulation (which is how you identify which is which since original cords do not have black or white insulation) was connected to the opposite side as his, which meant they had to hook up the blue to the black wires, instead of the white. Someone had posted a comment in his thread with the exact same thing and it was suggested it was wired wrong at the factory (according to the color scheme). But my seawitch and F2K are like that so maybe Stern didnt agree with the standard wire color standards, but they are hooked up correctly regardless lol.
Here is the pic from Vid’s Guide[quoted image]

Can you please share Vid's link? I am having a little trouble locating it. Thanks.

#3515 3 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Here is the pic from Vid’s Guide[quoted image]

Thank you for the detailed response. So in my circumstance it appears a little back to front. I have an input of brown into the filter, output of blue & an input of blue into the filter, output of brown. To keep things neat, I'll re-wire, Blue -> Blue.... & Brown -> Brown. So going by your insights above, I should have

Blue (NEUTRAL) -> FILTER -> Blue -> White/yellow stripe
Brown (HOT) -> FILTER -> Brown -> Black/green stripe

9895a69c5696a2a9a5a7b4773ff9eeed74bc88d8.jpeg (resized).jpg9895a69c5696a2a9a5a7b4773ff9eeed74bc88d8.jpeg (resized).jpg
#3516 3 years ago

Make sure the wire that goes to the mains F6 fuse on the rectifier board is the one that's connected to Active (hot) pin on your power point plug.

#3517 3 years ago

Were all of the line filters on these classic Sterns rated to 250V for domestic and export?

#3518 3 years ago
Quoted from Zzap:

Might want to get some tape over that blue wire

hahah yeah, I need to. I don't play this game, it is still being worked on. I'll probably unsolder and shrink tube both connections.

On mine, it looks like the ribbed one (hot) is on the right as shown in the pic from Completist

#3519 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

hahah yeah, I need to. I don't play this game, it is still being worked on. I'll probably unsolder and shrink tube both connections.
On mine, it looks like the ribbed one (hot) is on the right as shown in the pic from Completist

Double check (test which conductor is actually Hot from the line cord) - but I think the ribbed conductor is the neutral. This is where my differed from Vid's pic. I wasn't reusing the line cord since someone cut the ground prong off, so I just made sure the hot was ultimately going to the right spot as Quench mentioned.

#3520 3 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

Double check (test which conductor is actually Hot from the line cord) - but I think the ribbed conductor is the neutral. This is where my differed from Vid's pic. I wasn't reusing the line cord since someone cut the ground prong off, so I just made sure the hot was ultimately going to the right spot as quench mentioned.

I'll have to double check the cord. But I did test continuity from the right side line of the filter to F6, based upon the picture above. But from my pic it looks like the ribbed is on the left, haha. Yes I can see how this gets confusing. I'll have to check the actual plug, then the wires on the filter and can validate.

#3521 3 years ago

Stern Ali went for $1,950 + 15% buyer's premium at the Jaybird auction just now!

ali (resized).jpgali (resized).jpg87472542_4_x (resized).jpg87472542_4_x (resized).jpg
#3522 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Stern Ali went for $1,950 + 15% buyer's premium at the Jaybird auction just now! [quoted image][quoted image]

And with Bally legs, no less.

#3523 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Stern Ali went for $1,950 + 15% buyer's premium at the Jaybird auction just now! [quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah if I list mine it would be $2k but it does have new displays and backglass

#3524 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah if I list mine it would be $2k but it does have new displays and backglass

Someone really overpaid for that playfield planking and crackling backglass.

#3525 3 years ago

anyone has a good source for a replacement speaker POTS?

#3526 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Getting hard to find now.
You're looking for 25k ohm, 500mW logarithmic (audio taper) potentiometers.
None of the big electronic guys have them anymore.

You could try one of these - probably worth getting a suitable knob for it too:

ebay.com link: Alpha Potentiometer A25K Audio Taper Pot

Confirm with them that you're getting "A25k" pots which are logarithmic, and not "B25k" which are linear. You don't want linear because the volume wont adjust proportionately.

#3527 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

We have some NOS pots with the mounting bracket for the MPU-200 games. $20 + S/H

#3528 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Someone really overpaid for that playfield planking and crackling backglass.

It’s Lloyd’s (from Coinop Warehouse) daughter’s auction service. He’s been heavily marketing the auction so I’m sure there was a ton of traffic directed there. That probably helped...

#3529 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

ebay.com link » Alpha Potentiometer A25k Audio Taper Pot
Confirm with them that you're getting "A25k" pots which are logarithmic, and not "B25k" which are linear. You don't want linear because the volume wont adjust proportionately.

Thanks for the heads up! After checking several of my go to places and seeing nothing, I ordered a couple of these from the Ebay link.

#3530 3 years ago

what would cause very low volume with pot turned all the way up?

#3531 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Could be a bad pot but not likely. Check the voltages at the sound board. Could need caps replaced.

#3532 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

if you have another machine nearby, definitely try the POTS, not common but that is exactly what the problem was on My 9B.

#3533 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

if you have another machine nearby, definitely try the POTS, not common but that is exactly what the problem was on My 9B.

I looked around at usualy spots, where can a POTS be found for purchase?

#3534 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I looked around at usualy spots, where can a POTS be found for purchase?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/E-599-19

will this one work?

#3535 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

will this one work?

No, that potentiometer is for Ballys.
Clasic Sterns require a different pot. Look 9 posts up at post #3526 and #3527

#3536 3 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

We have some NOS pots with the mounting bracket for the MPU-200 games. $20 + S/H

All are accounted for and sold!

#3537 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

ebay.com link » Alpha Potentiometer A25k Audio Taper Pot

Wasn't there also "electronic cleaner" spray you could spray on and turn the pot to help clean the contacts? Or am I thinking of something else.

#3538 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Wasn't there also "electronic cleaner" spray you could spray on and turn the pot to help clean the contacts? Or am I thinking of something else.

I have heard of people dropping alcohol on it and spinning it back and forth for a bit.

#3539 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Wasn't there also "electronic cleaner" spray you could spray on and turn the pot to help clean the contacts?

Yes, like woody76 said, you can use alcohol to clean it.
I actually open them up to clean them and also retension the wipers while I'm there.

#3540 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I have heard of people dropping alcohol on it and spinning it back and forth for a bit.

Quoted from Quench:

Yes, like woody76 said, you can use alcohol to clean it.
I actually open them up to clean them and also retension the wipers while I'm there.

Ah ok. I'll take mine apart and check it out. Mine current goes from quiet to loud kind of quick.

#3541 3 years ago

anyone ever convert a flight 2000 over to big game? I have a fully populated BG playfield and access to a project flight. Just wanting to pick your brain for a second.

#3543 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

anyone ever convert a flight 2000 over to big game? I have a fully populated BG playfield and access to a project flight. Just wanting to pick your brain for a second.

Go down and dirty, swap the F2K play field out and the Big Game play field in. Change out the MPU, and you are up and running.

The cab is the same.
The back box is the same.
The cab wiring is the same.
The coin door/wiring is the same.
The transformer should be the same.

Go for it.

#3544 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Go down and dirty, swap the F2K play field out and the Big Game play field in. Change out the MPU, and you are up and running.
The cab is the same.
The back box is the same.
The cab wiring is the same.
The coin door/wiring is the same.
The transformer should be the same.
Go for it.

The displays are in different locations so he’ll have to make a light board and he might have to lengthen the display wiring harness.

Do they both use the two sound board set up?

#3545 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

The displays are in different locations so he’ll have to make a light board and he might have to lengthen the display wiring harness.

yea the credit and ball displays are for sure in different spots. I might could just cut a new light board. I think all the boards are the same.

#3546 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Quoted from woody76:

yea the credit and ball displays are for sure in different spots. I might could just cut a new light board. I think all the boards are the same.

What I was trying to say is that you can drop the BG play field in, get the MPU with the correct ROMs and play it with the F2K back box still on.

Also, Shawn at Third Coast Pinball makes the displays harness. But F2K and Big game are close enough that you can use the F2K displays harness in behind a Big Game back glass. Actually, you can use a Seawitch or Nine Ball harness in a Big Game; There is enough wire and slop in the wiring that you can do this. Will it look right if you open the back box up. No. But it will work.

I think F2K is speech enabled and uses the VSU-100 speech board,( not to be confused with the SB-300 sound board). Big Game does not have speech so Woody scores a VSU-100 speech board if it is still in the project machine. The VSU-100 uses a couple of jumper cables for hooking up to the lamp board. Disconnect the jumper cables and now you have a regular harness that connects to the LDA.

#3548 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

You will just be sans knocker.

#3549 3 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

You will just be sans knocker.

Why is that?

#3550 3 years ago

No knocker in stock flight but big game can use it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 959.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 959.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 169.00
There are 10,737 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/71?hl=gott_lieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.