Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,739 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 215.
#251 5 years ago

"pedantic" Dr_Dude?
Very nice. Is that word actually in your vernacular or did you just open a dictionary and there it was?

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

"pedantic" Dr_Dude?
Very nice. Is that word actually in your vernacular or did you just open a dictionary and there it was?

Not sure where you're going with this, but it's not like I was trying to be sesquipedalian :>

#253 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Dude:

Not sure where you're going with this, but it's not like I was trying to be sesquipedalian :>

Sesquipedalian?
Have that one in your back pocket did 'ya?
Anyway, what does a distant cousin of sasquatch have to do with anything?

Actually, truth be told,
your response cracked me up!
Well done.

#254 5 years ago

*ahem* - to the dude that just bought with a rough PF - Seawitch playfields just went up to CPR for preorder. It's in the measuring interest/boutique area - but I'm sure a +1 wouldn't hurt it

https://classicplayfields.com/preorders/

#255 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

*ahem* - to the dude that just bought with a rough PF - Seawitch playfields just went up to CPR for preorder. It's in the measuring interest/boutique area - but I'm sure a +1 wouldn't hurt it
https://classicplayfields.com/preorders/

I did a preorder for a Catacomb. For Seawitch. I'll stick J. Greatwich.

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This really isn't your 2 cents as these prices are well below market and don't really have a bearing on this discussion. I think the kids call it a "humblebrag".

Yeah, that was dumb. Not sure why i bothered posting that stuff since it's irrelevant to the modern pricing of these games. My bad.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

I've got a NOS field waiting to go into my Stingray. I'm hoping it's as fun as Stars....but I don't think it will be.

OK. I am jumping in here. Stingray ROCKS!!!!! Like Stars.

Stargazer (09 roms), Nineball, Quicksilver are the cream of the crop.
Ali, Seawitch, Biggame, Gamatron, Ray, Stars, Cheetah, Cat, Galaxy (new rules) - 2nd tier

The rest below this. They are all great games and I have owned all of them. My current line up includes I think 9 of them.

Anyway Classic sterns are the best to hell with the rest. ROCK ON!!!!

#258 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Each to his own with regard to whatever game you like or don't like. IMHO, Fathom is way overrated play wise, though I wouldn't say that just any classic Stern is better.
Regarding earnings, I can give up to date real world experience on routing classic Bally vs at least one classic Stern. Other than Eight Ball Deluxe, which I place on a pedestal for earnings and gameplay, I haven't found any other classic Bally games that can hold their own against Quicksilver. Yeah, they do fine for a very short time period but fall off the earth with no earnings legs. Just took a refurbished Fathom off location after just a couple of months as it was an earnings dog. This Fathom is beautiful and plays like a dream, didn't matter. It was quite a disappointment. These other classic Bally comparison games were all in excellent condition, too.

Right on Brian, My classic Bally's which I have alot are sitting. They are not holding up over time. Sold many a Fathom and now thinking of selling all of my 81 Bally's. I am kinda sick of them. No I am sick of them. Will keep EBD though. The rest. Well. Its almost over!!!

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Yeah, that was dumb. Not sure why i bothered posting that stuff since it's irrelevant to the modern pricing of these games. My bad.

Hey dont worry I like hearing prices from the past to. It's all good.

#260 5 years ago

If there isn't already a 'Classic Stern Club' thread, maybe this one could be changed into it. Kinda fits the bill. Whatcha think OP?

I vote for:

Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Classic sterns are the best to hell with the rest!

#261 5 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

If there isn't already a 'Classic Stern Club' thread, maybe this one could be changed into it. Kinda fits the bill. Whatcha think OP?
I vote for:

Is there a classic stern club thread?
would anyone else like this changed into that? I know there is already individual threads for each game, I could even do Early 80s stern/bally club?

#262 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Hey dont worry I like hearing prices from the past to. It's all good.

Oh yeah, I forgot this one. I bought my Catacomb in February 2017. There was one for sale in Oregon for $1800.00 with all new alltek boards. I was trying to work something up with this guy but timing got in the way.

At the same time a Catacomb came available it Florida. It cost a little more. I would have preferred the one in Oregon is it was a little cheaper and had those new boards but could not get an agreement set up. I had to pay $2050.00. But it is a nice one.

At the time, I thought I paid a little bit too much but they don't come around that often. I have been having a blast with it.

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

OK. I am jumping in here. Stingray ROCKS!!!!! Like Stars.
Stargazer (09 roms), Nineball, Quicksilver are the cream of the crop.
Ali, Seawitch, Biggame, Gamatron, Ray, Stars, Cheetah, Cat, Galaxy (new rules) - 2nd tier
The rest below this. They are all great games and I have owned all of them. My current line up includes I think 9 of them.
Anyway Classic sterns are the best to hell with the rest. ROCK ON!!!!

What are the new rules for Galaxy? I have one and I am in the process of fixing it up. I had to make mine hardest rules, no extra ball. It was too easy. Also changed inlanes. Not so easy to roll over now. Good bump and nudge practice.

957167F7-A916-4B30-AD2F-00A0D87A2FF9 (resized).jpeg957167F7-A916-4B30-AD2F-00A0D87A2FF9 (resized).jpeg
#264 5 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

If the OP approves it I will change the thread title and make it an official club thread for classic sterns generally.

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I could even do Early 80s stern/bally club?

This is probably too broad and would detiroate to a debate about which is better. Best to have one brand in a club thread to reduce negativity.

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

What are the new rules for Galaxy? I have one and I am in the process of fixing it up. I had to make mine hardest rules, no extra ball. It was too easy. Also changed inlanes. Not so easy to roll over now. Good bump and nudge practice. [quoted image]

Yes I'd love to see what the new rules entail Bill

And love that Gottlieb style in lane feature/mod you did to Galaxy SR23!

#267 5 years ago

Stars is not seeing enough love in this thread. Set it to special = points repeatable and it's the best game of all time.

#268 5 years ago

Ali is a Harry Williams classic. Mine is setup right and plays really fast. Really enjoy the variety of shots.

#269 5 years ago

Since we are all here and we all like the Stern's playing action, I can't be alone in craving the flipper action that comes from those nice long curved inlane guides that can shoot fast balls across the flippers in the blink of an eye. Or that real rare move where a ball will enter the left (or right) inlane, shoot across both flippers and exits out of the opposite inlane. You know what I'm talking about.

I used to work for a company that builds airplanes. I worked in the factory installing parts, driving rivets, painting, and inspecting airplanes. It is hard to believe that in the 21st Century that airplanes are hand built by humans. And when it comes to the human touch, people make mistakes. And screw things up on the assembly line. And these mistakes have to be fixed. The short story here is that no two airplanes are built just alike. And neither are pinball machines.
++++++++++++++++++++++

My little collection is all of these classic Sterns so I compare one to the other and make notes. And I see mistakes that were built in at the factory. One glaring mistake on my Big Game is that the right inlane ball guide was mis-located and sitting too far below the base curve of the flipper. So, when ever the ball was heading for the flipper it would be deflected and tossed out of reach of the flipper. The game was no fun to play. Stern did not care; The flaw was not enough to fix at the factory. The operator did not care. The game was taking in quarters. The player was either too drunk to care or put in a quarter or two and then walked away.

Now I come to my point in the post. My Seawitch and Catacomb play different than my Nine Ball. I'd like to compare notes with everybody else.

On Seawitch and Catacomb, many times a ball will roll up towards the top of the inlane and get sucked over into the outlane and drain because of that little rubber bumper. On Nine Ball it does not happen; The ball will travel upward but hit that rubber bumper and get pushed back toward the flipper.

I prefer the extra challenge Seawitch and Catacomb offer but before I start making mods to my Nine Ball I would like to see how other Nine Balls were built at the factory. Is my Nine Ball per blueprint or did someone screw it up on the assembly line?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This drawing should clear up why I am even writing about this in the first place. As you can clearly see, I am no artist; My apologies.

I have drawn the flippers, ball guides, and bumper posts for Catacomb and Nine Ball. If you look carefully at Catacomb, you will see that the ball guides are located inboard of the two bumper posts. This allows for that ball action where it rolls up the flipper and ball guide and gets sucked over into the outlane.

Now, look at Nine Ball. On my NB, the ball guides are located to the outside of the bump posts. On this pin, when the ball rolls up the ball guide, instead of the ball being at risk of getting sucked into the outlane, the bump post pushes it back towards the flipper. I prefer the ball action on my Catacomb and Seawitch.

I don't want to be making modifications for modifications sake. So, what I am wanting to know is this: Are the ball guides on my Nine Ball per blueprint? Are they located in the same position on your Nine Ball?

I guess the larger question would be: How are the ball guides located on your classic Stern? Are they inboard of those bump posts? Or are they outboard?

Thanks

BTW: Ali and Big Game do not have these bump posts from the factory.

inlanes (resized).jpginlanes (resized).jpg

#270 5 years ago

hey so since this is an all Stern club now - Any more information on those updated Trident ROMs?

#271 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

My friend picked up a project Seawitch for $900 this spring and we both thought that was a good deal. I think it booted and played, but backglass was flaking badly and playfield had typical wear.

I picked up a project Seawitch for $100 last year. In average shape. Repinned, rebuild boards & all mechs, and cleaned it up. Plays fast!
The deals are out there still......

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

So, when ever the ball was heading for the flipper it would be deflected and tossed out of reach of the flipper.

I have a similar issue on my Quicksilver. I was considering bending the wire guides forward a bit but didn't know if the issue might also be thelped if I can source some thinner flipper rubbers?

As for your other question, it looks like my post holes are a bit closer to the outlanes as per your Catacomb drawing (see photo)

IMG_20171006_164605932 (resized).jpgIMG_20171006_164605932 (resized).jpg
#273 5 years ago

Amazing 80s?

Thread rename fail

Stars was made in 1978

#274 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I stopped reading when you said the best Bally game is Pacman hahahahah

I have Mr & Mrs pac man. It's a turd. Sorry

#275 5 years ago

There's a comma. Classic Stern.

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

I have a similar issue on my Quicksilver. I was considering bending the wire guides forward a bit but didn't know if the issue might also be thelped if I can source some thinner flipper rubbers?
As for your other question, it looks like my post holes are a bit closer to the outlanes as per your Catacomb drawing (see photo)
[quoted image]

Sweet looking QS playfield you have there! Looks like a NOS with auto clear?

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Sweet looking QS playfield you have there! Looks like a NOS with auto clear?

It was a restoration in progress (last summer). All the green was repainted (first white createx sprayed on really dry & coarse followed by green). Then I sanded it back to where the flecks of white had just started to show. I was going for the same overall shade of green but with more of a textured look. Now it sort of looks like the felt on a billiards table.

#278 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

It was a restoration in progress (last summer). All the green was repainted (first white createx sprayed on really dry & coarse followed by green). Then I sanded it back to where the flecks of white had just started to show. I was going for the same overall shade of green but with more of a textured look. Now it sort of looks like the felt on a billiards table.

Got any pictures? I love show and tells. How did you get those nice round keylines?

#279 5 years ago

I used rub-on transfers as per @drano. That's how I put the text back on as well. Here are some pics of the work in progress. In the first pic I have the new inserts installed and all the text and keylines have been painted over. In the second pic all the text and keylines have been added back on. Took a few extra layers of clear to bury the rub-on transfers but it worked out really well. I was originally trying to make a camo-style background but in the end...it was just green.

IMG_20170930_174507493 (resized).jpgIMG_20170930_174507493 (resized).jpgIMG_20171006_152912763 (resized).jpgIMG_20171006_152912763 (resized).jpg
#280 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

That's how I put the text back on as well.

What font did you use on this?

#281 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

I used rub-on transfers as per drano. That's how I put the text back on as well. Here are some pics of the work in progress. In the first pic I have the new inserts installed and all the text and keylines have been painted over. In the second pic all the text and keylines have been added back on. Took a few extra layers of clear to bury the rub-on transfers but it worked out really well. I was originally trying to make a camo-style background but in the end...it was just green.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks very nice.

Got any before pics? Was it just a little ratty? Or did you bring one back from the dead?

#282 5 years ago

It had the usual flaming inserts and some chewed up art in the bonus area. There was also a bare wood ditch below the saucer. But pretty much normal wear for a Quicksilver.

I know the font for the yellow inserts is "Quicksilver" or "Neon Lights." I think the font on the apron is Helvetica and the font on the playfield should be Optima.

IMG_20170811_215615194 (resized).jpgIMG_20170811_215615194 (resized).jpg
#283 5 years ago

Maybe someone here can answer this. I have a virtual pinball that I built. I also own a Galaxy. The virtual pinball has rom sounds I can’t get out of the Galaxy (Alltek). I just replaced the caps and it’s still the same. There is a sound at the end of three balls (starry sound?). Hard to explain. Could it be the ROM level?

#284 5 years ago

Got my seawitch last night.

20180925_173450 (resized).jpg20180925_173450 (resized).jpg
#285 5 years ago

Not to beat this into the ground, but the thread title really should be changed to include all classic Stern games from Stern Electronics. (1977-1984).

Or I guess we could start another club thread for all those classic Stern games from the amazing 70s as well.

#286 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not to beat this into the ground, but the thread title really should be changed to include all classic Stern games from Stern Electronics. (1977-1984).
Or I guess we could start another club thread for all those classic Stern games from the amazing 70s as well.

You really can't post in any threads without complaining can you? Maybe I dont think the 70s games are amazing? Or maybe the prices of the 70s sterns are already well documented. Either way I'm happy with it. Feel free to drain thread if it bothers you so much.

#287 5 years ago

Purchased a nugent today that's 2 classic sterns in 2 weeks. ( only one is amazing 80s) Not really one on my wish list but was priced ok.

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

You really can't post in any threads without complaining can you?

Complaining about what?

No problem on my part. Just a suggestion to keep the title of this thread from looking so lame.

If you want to run a club thread that only covers half, that's your choice.

Quoted from Mitch:

Purchased a nugent today that's 2 classic sterns in 2 weeks.

From 1978. lol.

#289 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

From 1978. lol.

That why I said classic stern not amazing.

#290 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

That why I said classic stern not amazing.

I'm not going to try to figure out your logic or take up too much more space here, but I find Classic Sterns from both the 70s and 80s pretty amazing.

But, I guess, as you have pointed out, this is not the club thread for those that do. Another one can be started that covers them all.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

#291 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm not going to try to figure out your logic or take up too much more space here, but I find Classic Sterns from both the 70s and 80s pretty amazing.
But, I guess, as you have pointed out, this is not the club thread for those that do.
I apologize for any inconvenience.

O-Din you rebel rouser.

#292 5 years ago

I lined up a lightning, just working out details.

#293 5 years ago

How is Nugent? I was a fan of his music before he went insane.

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

I lined up a lightning, just working out details.

Awsome make sure to post pics when you get it. ( and what you paid if you want)

#295 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

How is Nugent? I was a fan of his music before he went insane.

Not sure haven't played one lol.

#296 5 years ago

I'm told that Nugent is fairly lame. Your experience may differ.

Congrats on your Seawitch.

I went down to the laundry the other day and tossed in a few quarters in Memory Lane. It is a chime type pin. As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I have gotten spoiled with the sound sets from Meteor on. Well, not so much Meteor with that humming sound, but all of the others have really ruined me for chimes.

That said, the Memory Lane was set up well. It played well. Everything worked. I have played it and I am happy. It does not have the stay and play hold on me.

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm told that Nugent is fairly lame. Your experience may differ.

All the reviews and writups I've read are split 50 50 I'm not worried I have a large collection lol

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

It had the usual flaming inserts and some chewed up art in the bonus area. There was also a bare wood ditch below the saucer. But pretty much normal wear for a Quicksilver.
I know the font for the yellow inserts is "Quicksilver" or "Neon Lights." I think the font on the apron is Helvetica and the font on the playfield should be Optima.[quoted image]

How did you repair the "bare wood ditch"? Mine has that problem, too.

#299 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

All the reviews and writups I've read are split 50 50 I'm not worried I have a large collection lol

It’s a lot of fun to me. You have to set it up hard though. If you get over 200k on mine, that’s epic. One thing that I like about Nugent are the rules to light he spinner. If you accidentally fall in the collect bonus holes, it sets you back to 1,000. You can only light the spinner if you reach 10k bonus.

Another thing I love is that you have to nudge to score the most valuable shot in the game (when top rollovers are lit for 9k).

I do understand why a lot of people don’t love it. For me, it’s a lot like Harlem Globetrotters. Very difficult and fast old school addictive pinball.

Another good change is to remove the top most acorn post on the left orbit shot. It’s too tight of a shot from the factory. Removing the top post converts it to a makeable, rewarding shot.

#300 5 years ago

Love early sterns, I want a galaxy, stars, or meteor to go with my f2k. Anybody with one for sale within 4-5 hrs of me let me know. I’ll be at expo too. Prefer a players example, just not beat to death.

C8F433E9-41DC-4046-99A6-25BDA30E8655 (resized).jpegC8F433E9-41DC-4046-99A6-25BDA30E8655 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 959.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 169.00
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 169.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,739 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/6?hl=dr_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.