20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 215.
#3201 3 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Why don't you contact them, so they can fix their error?

I communicated with them a couple of years ago about an error. The one for Seawitch was the wrong color of blue. I advised them, so they made a replacement and it was the wrong color of blue, too. And there will never be one with the correct Seawitch blue.

These guys are hobbyists. I don't see them throwing away all of their inventory and starting over.

Want one for your Seawitch? Here are your color choices. 1 is too light; 1 is too dark. It won't get any better.

IMG_3535 (resized).JPGIMG_3535 (resized).JPG

Here is the error. Somebody did not proof read before printing. To be honest, I did not even see this mistake. Someone else pointed it out to me.
I scratch my head and wonder how this happened.

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 10.52.46 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-09 at 10.52.46 AM (resized).png

#3202 3 years ago

At least it isn't missing text and incorrect fonts on a $700 playfield...

#3203 3 years ago

nothing is ever as good as original...backglass, playfield, plastics or apron.

#3204 3 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Heyyyyy! The bronze is only 600

#3205 3 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

They were $800.

and.... crickets when asked about it.

I've almost convinced myself that it won't bother me once it's installed. Almost.

I'm hoping that once they go to print on demand they will offer a trade in on the early adopters that turned out to have gotten the run around/screwed.

#3206 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I communicated with them a couple of years ago about an error. The one for Seawitch was the wrong color of blue. I advised them, so they made a replacement and it was the wrong color of blue, too. And there will never be one with the correct Seawitch blue.
These guys are hobbyists. I don't see them throwing away all of their inventory and starting over.
Want one for your Seawitch? Here are your color choices. 1 is too light; 1 is too dark. It won't get any better.
[quoted image]
Here is the error. Somebody did not proof read before printing. To be honest, I did not even see this mistake. Someone else pointed it out to me.
I scratch my head and wonder how this happened.
[quoted image]

There are lots more shades of blue available in vinyl and not just those two.

#3207 3 years ago

Or is that printed on a clear sticker you need to install over the full apron ?

#3208 3 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Or is that printed on a clear sticker you need to install over the full apron ?

Yes. Clear sticker that covers the top of the apron. It looks nice installed, but no comparison to a silk screened apron.

#3209 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Heyyyyy! The bronze is only 600

.....and it's still wrong.

#3210 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The cheapest way to get all the parts for a flipper assembly is the complete assembly from Pinball Life.
This is the style that was installed on Big Game. They used to have the style for Ali but I cannot find it.
There is a left side and a right side. You have 5 coils to choose from. Research which coil you want.
https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

The compliance on the link is alittle more bouncy so you have to put more tension on the spring which then can cost you in flipper power. On one I restored, I thought hey I will keep the "new" hardware and put the "old" hardware on the restoration. Bad move. I wish I had my old flippers back. Rebuilt to perfection with vintage links. The new links were bouncy and then had to do more tweeking. I am happy PL makes these flippers ( don't get me wrong) but I would try to keep the old links and springs if possible. If the plunger is not mushroomed.

#3211 3 years ago

So I had a webpage tab open on my phone for months with a picture of the rectifier board back and it had all the wires labeled etc. This was from Steve Kulpa's website. I went to save that picture today to put it in my archive and now the website is gone and thus the picture is gone. Does anyone know what I am referring to? anyone have that picture or similar? I didn't see one on Clay's site. I tried the web archive but no pictures were saved it seems.

#3213 3 years ago

Nooooo Kulpa's site was awesome.

#3214 3 years ago

Thanks! not sure what was going on, no pictures were going. Oh did you use an older date? I think I used the one in late 2019.

#3215 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Thanks! not sure what was going on, no pictures were going. Oh did you use an older date? I think I used the one in late 2019.

I think I just clicked the latest one or maybe some random one based on the 2016 in the URL? Dunno. Wayback saved my bacon a couple of times in the last couple months as bookmarks that I reload looking for info have disappeared.

#3216 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, from seeing some of my other cards, an owner asked if I could come up with something for Seawitch. Here are the results, and the price is the same as my other sets at $10 including US postage. Please PM me if interested in purchasing.
[quoted image]

The apron cards you made up for me arrived today. They look very nice. They really accent how beat up my apron is.

IMG_3608 (resized).JPGIMG_3608 (resized).JPG
IMG_3607 (resized).JPGIMG_3607 (resized).JPG

IMG_3609 (resized).JPGIMG_3609 (resized).JPG

IMG_3612 (resized).JPGIMG_3612 (resized).JPG

IMG_3611 (resized).JPGIMG_3611 (resized).JPG

IMG_3613 (resized).JPGIMG_3613 (resized).JPG

Now, we just have to get set up for the other Sterns.

#3217 3 years ago

I finally got tired of working under the play field and drop a screw, a nut , or a washer, only to see it hit the floor of the cabinet and proceed to bounce under or roll under the transformer mounting board.

Me and Gorilla Glue did something about it. I closed it off to stop the bounce-and-roll action.

IMG_3625 (resized).JPGIMG_3625 (resized).JPG
IMG_3630 (resized).JPGIMG_3630 (resized).JPG
IMG_3632 (resized).JPGIMG_3632 (resized).JPG

#3218 3 years ago

Nice. I just fish around blindly with the magnet on a steek for 10 minutes before realizing it somehow bounced into a bundle of wires.

#3219 3 years ago

Does anyone know where to get the upper backglass trim for Stars? I can't lock the backbox properly without it.

#3220 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Does anyone know where to get the upper backglass trim for Stars? I can't lock the backbox properly without it.

Regular black trim works. Not certain if anyone sells white.

#3221 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Are you talking about this part with the locking tabs on?

IMG_3633 (resized).JPGIMG_3633 (resized).JPG

#3222 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

There are at least two types of backbox lockdown bars. The early ones do not require the metal trim with tabs. The later ones do. I had a Trident with an early lockdown bar. I’d be surprised if your Stars had the later one. Although they are interchangeable between early and later games. The metal trim tabs are annoying so maybe someone swapped them at some point.

51A4E459-4344-4C47-BBF4-42692B99B2D4 (resized).jpeg51A4E459-4344-4C47-BBF4-42692B99B2D4 (resized).jpeg
Early Bar (requires regular plastic trim)

15B51BE0-0A1A-4415-9B37-5AEC028788F5 (resized).jpeg15B51BE0-0A1A-4415-9B37-5AEC028788F5 (resized).jpeg
Late Bar (requires metal trim w/tabs)

#3223 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Are you talking about this part with the locking tabs on?
[quoted image]

I think that's the one i need, but I'm not sure...my backglass was missing that piece when i got the game.

Here's the bracket that locks the backglass in place, the 2nd one kickabit posted:

IMG_20200515_130925.jpgIMG_20200515_130925.jpg
#3224 3 years ago

Anybody sitting on some coin door parts? Could use the bracketru that holds the coin switch, for a Chicago Coin coin door, which as I recall is the same.

coin bracket (resized).jpgcoin bracket (resized).jpg
#3225 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I think that's the one i need, but I'm not sure...my backglass was missing that piece when i got the game.
Here's the bracket that locks the backglass in place, the 2nd one kickabit posted:
[quoted image]

You have an early bar. You can just use a regular plastic trim on the backglass.

#3226 3 years ago
Quoted from kickabit:

You have an early bar. You can just use a regular plastic trim on the backglass.

Good to know. I'll order up a piece next time I'm placing a parts order. I've also noticed a bit of wobble from the backglass when it's installed and locked, hopefully adding the trim will help reduce that. Thanks for the info!

#3227 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

[quoted image]

Anyone know the history behind these goofy locks? Seems like an awfully lot of engineering for something so easy.

#3228 3 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Anyone know the history behind these goofy locks? Seems like an awfully lot of engineering for something so easy.

I wish I knew. I figured they were trying to be different than Bally. The Bally bar is just like the early one.

Stern wasn’t adverse to re-engineering. Look at the drop target mechs. There’s like six variations of the design.

#3229 3 years ago
Quoted from kickabit:

There are at least two types of backbox lockdown bars. The early ones do not require the metal trim with tabs. The later ones do. I had a Trident with an early lockdown bar.
[quoted image]
Early Bar (requires regular plastic trim)
[quoted image]
Late Bar (requires metal trim w/tabs)

Does anyone sell these backbox lockbars? I have a game that is missing one. I would like some of the early style for some of my later games too.

#3230 3 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Does anyone sell these backbox lockbars? I have a game that is missing one. I would like some of the early style for some of my later games too.

I wish. They are something that Mantis could probably make but I doubt any of us would be happy the cost.

#3231 3 years ago

Ladies and Gents... your decals are finally going out this week. I just PMd everybody that reserved them with payment info

B0B69FCF-8A67-43DA-903B-2C690760B3F0 (resized).jpegB0B69FCF-8A67-43DA-903B-2C690760B3F0 (resized).jpeg
#3232 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Ladies and Gents... your decals are finally going out this week. I just PMd everybody that reserved them with payment info [quoted image]

If you got spares let me know I’m in for some!

#3233 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

If you got spares let me know I’m in for some!

Tsskinne a few deadbeats who reserved some have ignored my payment request so I have a few more up for grabs!

EDIT: All gone now! Thanks for all the last minute orders today. I can run more in the Fall if there's additional interest cheers.

#3234 3 years ago

tsskinne a few deadbeats who reserved some have ignored my payment request so I have a few more up for grabs!
I have 15 left in standard foil and 10 with a holographic BG. $3 a pop plus $5 to ship in a nice cardboard mailer.
Aiming to hit the post office with everything Thursday morning, so PM me with what you want and I’ll be happy to accommodate you or anybody else cheers!

Deadbeats on Pinside? Surely not !

You got stuck on the side of the road with 25 of them ?

#3235 3 years ago

It’s all good. I’m selling these at cost so it’s not like I’m losing thousands here haha.

Think these will be gone by the time I make the post office trip on Thursday and if not I’ll just hang onto them in case I find 20 more Classic Sterns

#3236 3 years ago

tsskinne a few deadbeats who reserved some have ignored my payment request so I have a few more up for grabs!
I have 12 left in standard foil and 7 with a holographic BG. $3 a pop plus $5 to ship in a nice cardboard mailer.
Aiming to hit the post office with everything Thursday morning, so PM me with what you want and I’ll be happy to accommodate you or anybody else cheers!

PM sent.

#3237 3 years ago

EDIT: All gone now! Thanks for all the last minute orders today. I can run more in the Fall if there's additional interest cheers.

#3238 3 years ago

Hey guys, any tips for drop targets on the earlier classic Sterns? I have a Memory Lane I am trying to get dialed in and just can't get the drops working right. The ball will more often than not bounce off the targets (without them dropping), or the drops will go down on their own when the game kicks them back up. Really kills this game as they are a pretty important feature. Replaced all three targets and as far as I can tell, the mechs/springs/etc look fine.

#3239 3 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Hey guys, any tips for drop targets on the earlier classic Sterns? I have a Memory Lane I am trying to get dialed in and just can't get the drops working right. The ball will more often than not bounce off the targets (without them dropping), or the drops will go down on their own when the game kicks them back up. Really kills this game as they are a pretty important feature. Replaced all three targets and as far as I can tell, the mechs/springs/etc look fine.

Do the replacement drops have the rib on them or just the shelf right below the target face? Rib is correct for Memory Lane, and 'chichlet' style (no hood).

The ones that are shelfs are Bally style drops and they brick exactly as you are describing.

Since the drop bank is straight on they will tend to brick a little bit, Lightning's center bank is terrible this way and ML is likely similar. You can try and move the entire bank forward as much as you can and people have tried stiffening the drop to help its downing, but it tends to be a losing battle - it's endemic to the game because of the angle. Gottlieb drops are the only ones that don't brick straight on.

Higher flipper strength doesn't help either.... someone a long time ago did a slo-mo video of drops that wouldn't drop and the reason they don't is that the target flexes and hits the back of the slot with such force that it comes back front onto its shelf rather than dropping. Stronger springs help but then they don't reset properly.

If you look on rec.games.pinball there's a lot of threads where people played around with this, as well as likely here on pinside.

#3240 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Do the replacement drops have the rib on them or just the shelf right below the target face? Rib is correct for Memory Lane, and 'chichlet' style (no hood).
The ones that are shelfs are Bally style drops and they brick exactly as you are describing.
Since the drop bank is straight on they will tend to brick a little bit, Lightning's center bank is terrible this way and ML is likely similar. You can try and move the entire bank forward as much as you can and people have tried stiffening the drop to help its downing, but it tends to be a losing battle - it's endemic to the game because of the angle. Gottlieb drops are the only ones that don't brick straight on.
Higher flipper strength doesn't help either.... someone a long time ago did a slo-mo video of drops that wouldn't drop and the reason they don't is that the target flexes and hits the back of the slot with such force that it comes back front onto its shelf rather than dropping. Stronger springs help but then they don't reset properly.
If you look on rec.games.pinball there's a lot of threads where people played around with this, as well as likely here on pinside.

If only we could get all the different stern drops reproed properly it would be a magical day.

#3241 3 years ago

Replaced most parts but left the drops original for obvious reasons on the latest to get brought back from the dead pile.

49C5078A-413C-40A5-9D2C-00EB00AB0484 (resized).jpeg49C5078A-413C-40A5-9D2C-00EB00AB0484 (resized).jpegABF7BBE5-7EA4-4077-990E-7FE3CEB41222 (resized).jpegABF7BBE5-7EA4-4077-990E-7FE3CEB41222 (resized).jpegDD7F6EC8-23FD-481B-9484-52F13CEA4AE2 (resized).jpegDD7F6EC8-23FD-481B-9484-52F13CEA4AE2 (resized).jpeg
#3242 3 years ago

Just saw this on Twitter:Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 9.34.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-19 at 9.34.18 AM.png

#3243 3 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

If only we could get all the different stern drops reproed properly it would be a magical day.

And in tombstone form!

#3244 3 years ago

What's the difference between "chicklet" and "tombstone"?

#3245 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

What's the difference between "chicklet" and "tombstone"?

Tombstone dont have the wide top.

20200519_140640.jpg20200519_140640.jpg20200519_140653.jpg20200519_140653.jpg
#3246 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Tombstone dont have the wide top.[quoted image][quoted image]

So the top is tombstone and the bottom is chicklet? Huh. I always throught the TOP was chicklet, since.. as far as I know, chicklets were straight, no lips. Just square.

Thanks though. That helps.

#3247 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

So the top is tombstone and the bottom is chicklet? Huh. I always throught the TOP was chicklet, since.. as far as I know, chicklets were straight, no lips. Just square.

ditto

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3248 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Tombstone dont have the wide top.[quoted image][quoted image]

I know I have mentioned this somewhere before, but time to say it again.

You can take a hooded target and get your sanding and filing equipment out and make a tombstone target from a hooded target. The job will look at good as your skillset.

IMG_3674 (resized).JPGIMG_3674 (resized).JPG

IMG_3675 (resized).JPGIMG_3675 (resized).JPG

#3249 3 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Replaced most parts but left the drops original for obvious reasons on the latest to get brought back from the dead pile.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

When you load your pictures, pinside gives you the tools to rotate them into upright position. Those small curves arrows make it possible.

This sideways business is fairly new to me. It used to be I could load my pics and not think about it. But now every pic I load needs to be rotated. It is a PIA but doable.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.28.55 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.28.55 PM (resized).png

#3250 3 years ago
Quoted from akm:

First off, make sure ALL the metal pieces are smooth. The plating on Stern mechs oxidizes and acts like sandpaper, hindering the smooth operation of the drops.
Secondly, the springs may be getting a little weak. On my Freefall, the bank in the middle is close to the flippers and had the same problems yours does. I had to move the rod the springs are mounted on a little bit lower to give a bit more tension. I don’t know how much different your mech is from mine, but maybe yours has some holes a little bit lower in the sidewalls that you could use.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 169.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 959.00
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 959.00
$ 12.00
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/65?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.