20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 215.
#2601 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:Repin of the harness in the head is done and most plugs in the cab now. The rectifier board plugs I just repinned tonight but was curious, does anyone make or know where to get the bracket that holds the relay? I think it’s the relay for GI? Next to the transformer and the rectifier.[quoted image][quoted image]

Get some Velcro strips. Make a small wooden pad. Velcro the pad to your transformer board. Apple some Velcro to the plastic side of the relay and attach it to the wood pad you made. Sort of a jury rig but it will hold the relay in one place.

#2602 4 years ago

Nine Ball problems: I have never got NB to work properly since I brought it home 4 years ago. My hands have been full with working on my other pins. I am now seeing daylight so I have been working on NB.

One of the problems I am dealing with is that damnable ball lock saucer in the left hand side. When I am about to describe does not happen all of the time but when it does happen it really fouls up the game.

When the first ball drops in the saucer lock all is well. But then ball 2 drops into the lock and holds down the switch wire, the pin seems to think that I have just drained the ball and it moves the ball in play from 1 ball played to 2 balls played. And then when I shoot the third ball the pin considers it ball 3 but with 2 balls locked some switch will make contact and think ball 3 has drained and then shut down the game. When in reality, I am still on ball 1.

My thinking is that when 2 balls are locked they should not be sending signals to advance the ball in play number.

I am at a loss for this behavior.

Any thoughts appreciated.

IMG_2722 (resized).jpgIMG_2722 (resized).jpg

#2603 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Nine Ball problems: I have never got NB to work properly since I brought it home 4 years ago. My hands have been full with working on my other pins. I am now seeing daylight so I have been working on NB.
One of the problems I am dealing with is that damnable ball lock saucer in the left hand side. When I am about to describe does not happen all of the time but when it does happen it really fouls up the game.
When the first ball drops in the saucer lock all is well. But then ball 2 drops into the lock and holds down the switch wire, the pin seems to think that I have just drained the ball and it moves the ball in play from 1 ball played to 2 balls played. And then when I shoot the third ball the pin considers it ball 3 but with 2 balls locked some switch will make contact and think ball 3 has drained and then shut down the game. When in reality, I am still on ball 1.
My thinking is that when 2 balls are locked they should not be sending signals to advance the ball in play number.
I am at a loss for this behavior.
Any thoughts appreciated.
[quoted image]

Someone else had this same problem recently and resolved it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-nine-ball-left-ball-lock-schematic-needed/page/3#post-5328690

#2604 4 years ago

All the outhole switch and the left lock mecanism outhole are in the same matrix...

C3E7FA24-51EA-442D-8AB3-24F8E1E4E548 (resized).jpegC3E7FA24-51EA-442D-8AB3-24F8E1E4E548 (resized).jpeg
#2605 4 years ago

Some of the issue can be resolved with careful adjustment of the switches.

There's been a larger issue with nine ball forever though which is why we're working on changing the software to compensate for errors like this. The code is really a mess; super hacky. They don't count the ball locations correctly, and they don't double check anything, either. Likely they were under pressure to get some kind of code released with the game back then.

Part of the discussion is in the thread referenced and the new thread is here as a clearinghouse of errors that can't be explained solely by hardware:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/9-ball-software-rewrite

#2606 4 years ago

Do you have ceramic caps on the ball trough switches?

#2607 4 years ago

Anyone have a stripped out Cabinet they are willing to part with? trying to save a Classic stern. Standard cabinet, not a widebody.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-standard-classic-stern-cabinet

#2608 4 years ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

Anyone have a stripped out Cabinet they are willing to part with? trying to save a Classic stern. Standard cabinet, not a widebody.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-standard-classic-stern-cabinet

A Bally cabinet will work if one of those comes available for you.

#2609 4 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

I’ll have to look when I get home tomorrow evening

#2610 4 years ago

https://www.facebook.com/coinopwarehouse/photos/pcb.10157872053437375/10157872053127375/?type=3&theater

Looks like Lloyd unearthed a Dragonfist from somewhere. Sold for $3600 in under 20 minutes!

#2611 4 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

I'm home and just checked. There are no caps on any of the 3 left hand ball lock switches. The game plays famously if I don't get 2 balls locked on the left side.

Ball 1 locks: Game plays great.

Ball 2 locks: Not immediately but a few seconds after ball 2 locks the ball-in-play advances to Ball 2.

Ball 3 comes to the play field and play action is very good, however, I can hear the shooter coil activating and it is shooting blanks since all balls are on the play field (but the shooter should be dead because the shooter switch is not closed). It will let me play on Ball 3 for a few seconds while the shooter is firing blanks and then Ball 3 is signaled as drained and the game is over.

Currently, I have the pin setup with a newly reconditioned Stern MPU-200 board, an Alltek SDU, and a Bally LDA board.

I'll triple check my switch adjustments and see what happens.

Quoted from slochar:

Some of the issue can be resolved with careful adjustment of the switches.
There's been a larger issue with nine ball forever though which is why we're working on changing the software to compensate for errors like this. The code is really a mess; super hacky. They don't count the ball locations correctly, and they don't double check anything, either. Likely they were under pressure to get some kind of code released with the game back then.
Part of the discussion is in the thread referenced and the new thread is here as a clearinghouse of errors that can't be explained solely by hardware:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/9-ball-software-rewrite

Thank you for all of the work your are doing on these early Sterns. I have my hands full ATM but I want otto get an EPROM burner and add that to my list of skills.

Thank you Bluespin. I was following that article and printed it out.

All I can really say right now is that this is the 1st time I have owned NB that I have it really playing well. It is a blast to play.

#2612 4 years ago

Check that shooter lane switch. If it’s flakey it will never think that third ball is served hence the repeat firing of the coil every couple seconds. It’s one of the many quirks of nineball.

#2613 4 years ago

The 2 ball lock switches are the definition of... Well I don't know what but something that is a real pain in the ass and touchy.

#2614 4 years ago

CottonM4 I meant were there any ceramic capacitors on the ball trough microswitches. If so, remove them. They are not needed.
Next, ensure your shooter lane switch is clean and gapped properly. Third, remove the apron and roll each ball one at a time in the trough to
ensure the switches are triggering properly. Some of the wire forms may hit the adjacent balls in the trough. Also, you may need to adjust the
ball trough wire forms to ensure that they click down when the ball passes and that they stay down. Sometimes vibration from the targets going
up and down and while playing the game can make the wire forms lift a little and give a false reading in the ball trough. The trough microswitches
must be perfect. (Three things that must be adjusted perfectly (Left ball lock switches), shooter lane switch and ball trough microswitches). They
all work with each other.

One last thing, remove ceramic disc caps on the sling shots if you have any. They're not needed here and can disrupt things.

#2615 4 years ago

First, I need to correct what I said earlier. I have both an Alltek MPU and Alltek SDU powering this pin. I have to assume that both of these relatively young boards are working correctly.
===========================================

Quoted from Barakawins1:

CottonM4 I meant were there any ceramic capacitors on the ball trough microswitches. If so, remove them. They are not needed.

There are none.

Quoted from Barakawins1:

Next, ensure your shooter lane switch is clean and gapped properly.

Check. It is gapped properly. It is not binding. All looks good.

Quoted from Barakawins1:

Third, remove the apron and roll each ball one at a time in the trough to ensure the switches are triggering properly

I have had the apron off more games than I can count. Manually manipulating all of the switches. I have triple-checked all my gaps. All are opening and closing correctly. All 4 micro switches are opening and closing correctly.

Here is what I have:

The 3 switches colored in green represent the 3 switches on the left side of the play field. The 2 switches highlighted in pink are the left saucer( Kick out hole) and the the micro switch that sits closest to the kick out hole.

switch (resized).jpgswitch (resized).jpg

With this pic below , the switches highlighted in blue represent the two micro switches and the outhole switch. If I have a ball loaded in to the kick out hole and manually push the first micro switch in the outhole lane I get the same behavior in that the pin thinks I have drained and it kicks out the next ball and bumps ball in play to #2.

switch_2 (resized).jpgswitch_2 (resized).jpg

Without turning this explanation into a confusing morass, basically, when the kick out hole is activated, either one of the two other switches highlighted in pink act just the same and advance ball in play

All of the switches in question have the common yellow/red power wire. It may not be relevant but the Left Midlane switch connects to MPU A4-J2-13. And the Left outhole switch connects to MPU A4-J2-12. None of the other switches in the Y/R array behave like the 3 switches I have highlighted in pink. The ball shooter lane switch causes some funky action but will not advance me to the next ball in play. And I can press Advance Spinner To End switch and all it will do is keep scoring 7000 points; It will not cause a ball in play advance.

The short answer to all of this is that the Left Midlane switch acts like the Left outhole switch and makes the pin think a ball has drained.

This is my last hurdle to having this pin play like a million bucks.

At this point in time I am still scratching my head.

#2616 4 years ago

Have you checked the diodes on the switches?

I know, it may be a stupid question, but I don't remember reading if you had or not.

#2617 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Have you checked the diodes on the switches?

I was going to go there as well. I'd place the game into switch test and ground each switch before the banded end of the diode. As you do this, look up at the
display to ensure the correct number shows up for the switch on the display. Compare the number with the switch matrix number. If one is incorrect or not
triggering, you found a problem.

#2618 4 years ago

Yup. Sounds diode related. There must be other switches causing bad behavior. If you find other ones we can draw a box and pinpoint what 4 switches you need to examine the diodes on.

#2619 4 years ago

I had replaced every diode on this play field and thought I had that fixed. I guess not. It is not a solenoid which I hace disabled by pulling the 1 amp fuse. So either a switch or---the remote possibility that a diode I replaced is bad from the start.

I have to move to some other things for awhile. NB is getting shoved back in the corner to be conquered on another day.

Thanks for your thoughts.

#2620 4 years ago
2AF9946D-7FC8-498F-9EB5-06F6BA419195 (resized).jpeg2AF9946D-7FC8-498F-9EB5-06F6BA419195 (resized).jpeg317F00E3-4F1F-4C63-916A-5BEE017BE624 (resized).jpeg317F00E3-4F1F-4C63-916A-5BEE017BE624 (resized).jpeg7EFC14B9-9391-4ACA-9494-5D0056D4A40E (resized).jpeg7EFC14B9-9391-4ACA-9494-5D0056D4A40E (resized).jpeg
#2621 4 years ago

Anybody know the part number for these, so I can get the up on the website for sale?

Stern_Twin_Baffle (resized).JPGStern_Twin_Baffle (resized).JPG
#2622 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Anybody know the part number for these, so I can get the up on the website for sale?[quoted image]

LOL, I just created some too. Great minds.

Brian.

20200109_220621 (resized).jpg20200109_220621 (resized).jpg
#2623 4 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

LOL, I just created some too. Great minds.
Brian.[quoted image]

World just works like that sometimes.

-Hans

#2624 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Anybody know the part number for these, so I can get the up on the website for sale?[quoted image]

They are called back box light baffles.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=baffles

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=baffles

I have not seen them referenced in any of my Stern manuals. I cannot offer a part number.

#2625 4 years ago

Lectronamo sb-100 replacement complete! Woop! Thanks to @Gott-leib and especially @Slochar!

#2626 4 years ago

just be mindful if home 3d printing light baffles / shrouds that depending on a few elements like
- the home 3d printer print material used & the percentage of fill as home printing is rarely solid filled
- the globes (filament or led)
- the game environment (atmospheric temperature, sunlight and even transporting)
that temperature may come into play causing the shrouds to warp and distort

#2627 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Lectronamo sb-100 replacement complete! Woop! Thanks to @Gott-leib and especially @Slochar!

Nice. Just getting ready to change the VFW s to Chimes

#2628 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

that is sweet. um, what how who to do this? I'm sure my Dracula would sound better with chimes.

#2629 4 years ago

2 hard parts: a badass has to have written the ROMs and you need to procure a chime box. The rest is wiring.

#2630 4 years ago

hmmm, I have a spare gottlieb chime box and wire, now I just need a badass LOL

#2631 4 years ago

So happy with this mighty foursome.

IMG_0387.jpegIMG_0387.jpeg
#2632 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

So happy with this mighty foursome.[quoted image]

Dude, where is the NSFW tag???

#2633 4 years ago

If you're going to have 4... that's a pretty good set.

#2634 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

where is Catacomb?

#2635 4 years ago

Here I is!

96CCCC4A-9E8D-4B1D-9A0D-23E895839091 (resized).jpeg96CCCC4A-9E8D-4B1D-9A0D-23E895839091 (resized).jpeg
#2636 4 years ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Here I is![quoted image]

Was hoping to see it next to a Quicksilver and a Nine Ball

#2637 4 years ago

Can’t accommodate that request, but how bout between a Stars and a Flight 2000?

9C1E4881-56A9-4A52-94A3-4230AA94F87C (resized).jpeg9C1E4881-56A9-4A52-94A3-4230AA94F87C (resized).jpegA085A145-2573-41C6-AEA9-DA5891BFFF7E (resized).jpegA085A145-2573-41C6-AEA9-DA5891BFFF7E (resized).jpeg
#2638 4 years ago

How about cheetah and Big Game

6D91ACF4-17EA-4B20-A4C6-5F5AB21AB3B8 (resized).jpeg6D91ACF4-17EA-4B20-A4C6-5F5AB21AB3B8 (resized).jpeg
#2639 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

Heaven!! Lucky bugga

#2640 4 years ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

where is Catacomb?

Been on the hunt for a nice one!

#2641 4 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

How about cheetah and Big Game

Yes Cheetah. I'm desperate for it.

#2642 4 years ago

Cheetah or big game would be a hard choice.

#2643 4 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

How about cheetah and Big Game[quoted image]

They might be the two best early sterns. Would love to set a cheetah next to my big game. Someday.

#2644 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

What a lineup! And a Minor Threat fan to boot. Wish I could find a Big Game and/or Cheetah as well.

#2645 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Cheetah or big game would be a hard choice.

Quoted from spandol:

What a lineup! And a Minor Threat fan to boot. Wish I could find a Big Game and/or Cheetah as well.

With all the interest in Classic Stern's these days I'm very glad I got my Big Game when I did, even though it's a real beast.

#2646 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Guess I'm in the minority that likes the original sound set up.

#2647 4 years ago
Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Guess I'm in the minority that likes the original sound set up.

I also like my Lectronamo with the processed sounds. My Sinbad on chimes is enough for me lol

#2648 4 years ago

Why is#cheetah such a harder game to find?

#2649 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Why
is Cheetah such a harder game to find?

It's "hot" right now and only 1223 made.

I don't think it's particularly a great player, I think I kept it a couple years and moved it along. Different shot geometry for sure and you can sure see the influence of previous Harry Williams designs on the playfield.

Too bad there's no saucer. It could be a good multiball game. I always thought the 5 bank was begging for a sweep award, but the software doesn't react fast enough (If you sweep all 5, it usually thinks you got targets 5 and 4 and sometimes 3 out of order).

I used to actually try to get the matrix completed on the upper right 3 bank, if you can get the spinners lit, you can get killer scores. And of course the removal of the left lane bonus collect to but once per game was essential.

#2650 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

It's "hot" right now and only 1223 made.

Wasn't aware of that. Huh. I've ALWYAS wanted one - a friend and I had one back in the early 90's, but we parted it out because the playfield was crap. He still has the backglass (which, if I recall correctly, was in GORGEOUS shape) framed and hanging up on the wall.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 959.00
$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/53?hl=vec-tor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.