IMG_0778 (resized).JPG
IMG_8486 (resized).jpg
IMG_8485 (resized).jpg
IMG_8484 (resized).jpg
IMG_8482 (resized).jpg
IMG_8480 (resized).jpg
IMG_8479 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 121.
#2451 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What is HSTD? They are factory displays. And how do I reset?
Thanks.

Did you step through and clear all the audits? That looks like garbage in RAM to me.

#2452 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What is HSTD? They are factory displays. And how do I reset?
Thanks.

high score to date. There shouldn't be blanks in it.

go into test mode and get to audit #04, then hit the clear button in the coin door or on the mpu board to zero it out. When you reboot, the high score should show 00, and as you play you will get it at the end of the game.

Definitely an incentive to beat!

#2453 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Thats the bueaty of a tumbler.

How big is your tumbler??

#2454 2 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Mines not big, but if I could go back I would get the biggest one possible.
For all the pieces you see of mine I got do in a smaller unit, but it took multiple loads which means week or 2 and that dust gets everywhere.
Thats inside... If you can do it outside No worries.

I got the smaller harbor freight one originally, put trough pieces in it and ripped holes in it right off the bat; seemed cheap.

#2455 2 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Did you step through and clear all the audits? That looks like garbage in RAM to me.

Quoted from slochar:

high score to date. There shouldn't be blanks in it.
go into test mode and get to audit #04, then hit the clear button in the coin door or on the mpu board to zero it out. When you reboot, the high score should show 00, and as you play you will get it at the end of the game.
Definitely an incentive to beat!

Thank you both. I finally learned how to do this stuff with the white buttons on the coin door. I cleared everything and the displays are showing what they need to show.

#2456 2 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Quoted from TheLaw:

Mines not big, but if I could go back I would get the biggest one possible.

Same here. I wish I had bought the larger tumbler. It cost more but the convenience of larger capacity and flexibility would have been worth the extra money.

EDIT: I should have kept my mouth shut. Right after I wrote the above, I turned on my tumbler for another round and 10 minutes later it died. I can turn it on and hear the motor humming. It sounds like a shorted armature. (sigh). It is a Berryman tumbler I got from Steve at PBR about 3 years ago. I have used it a lot, but still...

Now I get to go buy that larger tumbler.

#2457 2 years ago

this might help a few people - as completed some reproduced Classic Stern Parts

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkscs&sort=newest

also here along with a heap of other parts

https://swinks.com.au/ss-parts

hope it helps

ps - I apologise for the part price but limited by Shapeways manufacturing costs

Classic Stern Bumper (resized).pngstn-thumberplastic (resized).jpg
#2458 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

this might help a few people - as completed some reproduced Classic Stern Parts
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkscs&sort=newest
also here along with a heap of other parts
https://swinks.com.au/ss-parts
hope it helps
ps - I apologise for the part price but limited by Shapeways manufacturing costs[quoted image][quoted image]

These are nice. Eventually, I am going to need some of these.

The originals are a light gray color. Will your gray ones match the original gray? And why is the gray color much pricier than the other colors? You have different types of plastic being used. Can we know why?

#2459 2 years ago

Shapeways have 2 types of plastic processes:

1 - is the Versatile plastic and there are more to dye a particular colour and then the higher quality white and black has a extra polishing process which cost more. The Versatile Plastic is plastic powder joined together with a laser sintering process
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/versatile-plastic

2. - the MJF plastic is very similar plastic particles but use a glue process to join each dust particle. It is a little better for detail and finish but the use of hitting the ball is unknown but from what I have made with it is strong and can tap a thread etc and appears to have good impact resistance. The cost is higher due to the process. The grey is the natural look and black is the dyed finish.
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/multi-jet-fusion-pa12

The originals are light grey and made via a injection molded process so the finish is smooth and glossy / shiny. Shapeways does not have these finishes due to the manufacturing process but you can dye the white material yourself to achieve a similar grey. These parts are to help those that prefer the quieter pops but are not a perfect reproduction.

in regards to the price I only earn a small commission but the price is dictated by there processes and hence why I did a 3 piece set to try and lower the overall price which if people only want the bumper ring & rod I could do 2 linked together with some mini posts making just those more affordable.

hope that helps explain

#2460 2 years ago

Weird coil issue on Stern Lectronamo. Works intermittently.

Switch is registering because it scores points

Always fires when grounding the transistor, ruling out wiring

Solder has been reflowed

Transistor replaced just in case

No amount of wiggling wires on the mpu or SDU will fix it when it's not working, but it always fires when grounding the tab.

The problem never appears with an Alltek SDU installed

Does an intermittent problem like this sound like it might be one of the chips on the original SDU?

#2461 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Shapeways have 2 types of plastic processes:
1 - is the Versatile plastic and there are more to dye a particular colour and then the higher quality white and black has a extra polishing process which cost more. The Versatile Plastic is plastic powder joined together with a laser sintering process
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/versatile-plastic
2. - the MJF plastic is very similar plastic particles but use a glue process to join each dust particle. It is a little better for detail and finish but the use of hitting the ball is unknown but from what I have made with it is strong and can tap a thread etc and appears to have good impact resistance. The cost is higher due to the process. The grey is the natural look and black is the dyed finish.
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/multi-jet-fusion-pa12
The originals are light grey and made via a injection molded process so the finish is smooth and glossy / shiny. Shapeways does not have these finishes due to the manufacturing process but you can dye the white material yourself to achieve a similar grey. These parts are to help those that prefer the quieter pops but are not a perfect reproduction.
in regards to the price I only earn a small commission but the price is dictated by there processes and hence why I did a 3 piece set to try and lower the overall price which if people only want the bumper ring & rod I could do 2 linked together with some mini posts making just those more affordable.
hope that helps explain

Thank you. You say they are not a perfect reproduction. Considering that so little of the rod and ring are visible, I think as long as they are durable and do the job that absolute perfection is not needed.

I think it is fantastic that they can be produced.

#2462 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thank you. You say they are not a perfect reproduction. Considering that so little of the rod and ring are visible, I think as long as they are durable and do the job that absolute perfection is not needed.
I think it is fantastic that they can be produced.

Thanks for the kind words,
The only reason I say they are not perfect is because it is not 100% exact in every way, function wise the shapeways plastics are great, the shape and look are almost identical and my background is a mech engineer. Shapeways can not match the exact texture because it is not injection moulded, but these are a great alternative to a non operating machine or switching to the louder metal rod and ring.

#2463 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Weird coil issue on Stern Lectronamo. Works intermittently.

Switch is registering because it scores points

Always fires when grounding the transistor, ruling out wiring

Solder has been reflowed

Transistor replaced just in case

No amount of wiggling wires on the mpu or SDU will fix it when it's not working, but it always fires when grounding the tab.

The problem never appears with an Alltek SDU installed

Does an intermittent problem like this sound like it might be one of the chips on the original SDU?

I just replaced one of the IC on a SDB that wasn't working right on one of my Magic pop bumper. Tested it with MM to check and replaced it, all good now. I followed this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-locked-on-bumper-coil-not-transistor

#2464 2 years ago

Stern Nine Ball - apron wanted. Anyone have a nice apron for sale?

#2465 2 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Stern Nine Ball - apron wanted. Anyone have a nice apron for sale?

I have one, But not perfect... located in canada, so shipping will be more.

CDF56B12-4AD1-4C0F-8830-0E120E1005D9.jpeg8B1917C0-42AB-40D9-B1C8-28F7CC89F725.jpegBD289FD4-1BC2-49FF-8DFA-ACDBAC7B8B56.jpeg7413C564-1FF6-4406-9646-8F3DA7791A9E.jpegA772E777-82A3-4D1F-A51D-C05E1515AE0E.jpeg658DA1BE-EC41-42E2-8827-D9C56FBB72D8.jpeg
#2466 2 years ago

Anyone know where I can buy a spinner leaf switch for a Flight 2000?

#2467 2 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Anyone know where I can buy a spinner leaf switch for a Flight 2000?

Send me a pm. I have lots of classic stern parts from a half dozen populated playfields I stripped.

#2468 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Send me a pm. I have lots of classic stern parts from a half dozen populated playfields I stripped.

nice

#2469 2 years ago

What's a stern widebody lockbar in good shape worth.

#2470 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

What's a stern widebody lockbar in good shape worse.

Did you mean "worth"?

#2471 2 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Did you mean "worth"?

Yup, fixed it thanks

#2472 2 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

I have one, But not perfect... located in canada, so shipping will be more.

PM sent

#2473 2 years ago

Blasphemy.

DD85D6AB-6033-4A98-BB7F-3984BFA3B131 (resized).jpeg
#2474 2 years ago

Does anyone know if there are any decals available for the shooter lane guages? I'd like to redo my Stars one if possible.

IMG_20191124_200751 (resized).jpg
#2475 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Does anyone know if there are any decals available for the shooter lane guages? I'd like to redo my Stars one if possible.[quoted image]

Yes.

http://pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Stern.html

#2476 2 years ago

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

#2477 2 years ago

Better

E33F21EF-460C-4D41-A9DA-BB3E310C69F3 (resized).jpeg
#2478 2 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Better[quoted image]

Whoa where’d you get those?? Those coils look snazzy and the links look brand new! I’d love to buy a few pairs!

#2480 2 years ago

Yup. Pinball Life has the whole mech. Great value compared to buying a rebuild kit really. They will put whatever strength coil you want in them. Was a no brained for me as my whole mechs were swapped in from a bally.

#2481 2 years ago

Blasphemy.[quoted image]

20 steps backwards with this "upgrade".

#2482 2 years ago

Yup. Pinball Life has the whole mech. Great value compared to buying a rebuild kit really. They will put whatever strength coil you want in them. Was a no brained for me as my whole mechs were swapped in from a bally.

Yep I've done that on my last few games, either Bally's or Stern's with the full pinball life mechs, for the price it makes complete sense to me.

#2483 2 years ago

I grabbed a stern galaxy a few months ago, and just started to finally work on it.

I repinned/connector’ed the whole harness, just a few left to do. Was going to build the woldpac displays, and then see how bad the boards are. The power and rectifier are the new goal to figure out and redo. Little bit of a mess.

Is the huge heat sink with rectifier and a relay hanging off, is that the gi flasher Feature for attract mode?

64F25338-AC21-4F9E-83EE-9EBB08B21C27 (resized).jpeg70B1727D-4316-460E-9C1F-621C98998E23 (resized).jpegDA8952FD-A3A5-4CBD-B6AE-2F42FDC15A3B (resized).jpeg
#2484 2 years ago

That power switch is why I started making switch covers for these. Live AC voltage at those terminals whenever the game is plugged in, and nothing stopping you from touching it with your fingers or tools when working on other stuff.

#2485 2 years ago

There's supposed to be heat shrink tubing on the power switch which would at least be a LITTLE protection. I have used various things over the years to protect the switch.

Regarding the Galaxy picture, that's the GI flasher yeah, but it looks like someone added a bridge rectifier to the circuit for some reason. IIRC it's just supposed to be a relay switching the AC that normally goes to the GI lamps.

#2486 2 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

That power switch is why I started making switch covers for these. Live AC voltage at those terminals whenever the game is plugged in, and nothing stopping you from touching it with your fingers or tools when working on other stuff.

Quoted from slochar:

There's supposed to be heat shrink tubing on the power switch which would at least be a LITTLE protection. I have used various things over the years to protect the switch.
Regarding the Galaxy picture, that's the GI flasher yeah, but it looks like someone added a bridge rectifier to the circuit for some reason. IIRC it's just supposed to be a relay switching the AC that normally goes to the GI lamps.

Yeah, I don't know if that is the right switch etc. But the cover you made HHaase, was on the list as that is kind of scary to think of touching when its on.

OH so that giant heat sink and BR are addon? ok cool. I have the manual and schematics from marco, but I didn't see too much on that relay or rectifier board. I have a new rectifier board, but need to repin and connector all those as you see. I didn't realize until reading up on that board, last night that the solder on the rear off the transformer was normal.

I've only played a Stern Stars, and it was enjoyable. I've missed on a stars and a few meteors so I saw this and couldn't pass up a Stern Electronics game. Not sure how fun it is, but hoping to find out soon.

#2487 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yeah, I don't know if that is the right switch etc. But the cover you made HHaase, was on the list as that is kind of scary to think of touching when its on.
OH so that giant heat sink and BR are addon? ok cool. I have the manual and schematics from marco, but I didn't see too much on that relay or rectifier board. I have a new rectifier board, but need to repin and connector all those as you see. I didn't realize until reading up on that board, last night that the solder on the rear off the transformer was normal.
I've only played a Stern Stars, and it was enjoyable. I've missed on a stars and a few meteors so I saw this and couldn't pass up a Stern Electronics game. Not sure how fun it is, but hoping to find out soon.

Galaxy is not high up on the "want to have" list, but I have read on pinside that with some mods that Galaxy can be a fun player. I don't know what the mods are, though. I have played it at TPF. It can be fun to play.

#2488 2 years ago

W: Stern Ali "Rope a Dope" plastic, like the one in this picture (not mine).

ali2 (resized).jpg
#2489 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Galaxy is not high up on the "want to have" list, but I have read on pinside that with some mods that Galaxy can be a fun player. I don't know what the mods are, though. I have played it at TPF. It can be fun to play.

Probably because it has a lack of drop targets? Well worst case is I sell the game. But stars was fun to play and it’s always fun to have a game in the collection that is unique from the norm.

#2490 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The mods are make it ridiculously difficult - no outlane posts, tight tilt, flip the inlane guides so rubber is showing instead of plastic. Put it this way, I was able to buy my stargazer because the seller had it and a galaxy for sale. I knew he was going to get slammed for the SG so I was the only one who offered to take BOTH, and I got there as quick as I could. I figured I'd get the SG and sell the Galaxy at the next show.

Nope, after I made it really hard, it was just fun to play and frustrating. That year I remembered to write down the # of games played at the annual party and Galaxy was tops by a long shot. There was a group of NE pinball guys who couldn't believe they couldn't get 900k to beat the HSTD on it. Usually in stock form Galaxy is a "turn the game over as many times as you want" type of games.

It's still no SG, Meteor, or Stars, but it's holding its own. Not been tempted to sell it since then.

#2491 2 years ago

Redoing my Nine Ball cabinet and am getting the Pinball Pimp stencils. Would love advice on paint type and colors to use. Thanks a bunch.

#2492 2 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

Redoing my Nine Ball cabinet and am getting the Pinball Pimp stencils. Would love advice on paint type and colors to use. Thanks a bunch.

The orange is straight rustolium "Real Orange" as far as I'm concerned. Found in any store
amazon.com link »

I'd love to see how it comes out. My Nine Ball is good but some other Sterns I could do.

#2493 2 years ago

Nine Ball is where it's at these days. What an awesome game!

#2494 2 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

All the cool kids are using Molotow, Ironlak and Montana Gold cans

#2495 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

What's a stern widebody lockbar in good shape worth.

I woulda sold my soul for that thing a few months ago. They’re so hard to get

#2496 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I woulda sold my soul for that thing a few months ago. They’re so hard to get

I found a extra one a couple days ago in a bin of parts in my basement.

#2497 2 years ago

Hi All. I am doing a quicksilver build and will be using a wild fyre for some parts. Can I use the pop bumpers from this game for a quicksilver? Thanks

#2498 2 years ago

Start buttons are now live on the website. And I just kicked off the 20% off sale for the holidays.

I did see the two orders come through on the Pinside site as well. When I ship those I'll also do a 20% refund to match the sale on my own website.

https://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=85&controller=product&id_lang=1

#2499 2 years ago

Rebuilding drops is never quick. Bringing a catacomb back to life.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Here’s to no bricking or having issues with them falling upon reset. Fingers crossed!

#2500 2 years ago
Quoted from keys88:

Hi All. I am doing a quicksilver build and will be using a wild fyre for some parts. Can I use the pop bumpers from this game for a quicksilver? Thanks

You can but you shouldn't - QS uses the newer plastic style. They def. have a different feel and performance.

There are 6,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 121.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside