20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 215.
#2251 4 years ago
Quoted from Chisel:

I’ve been on an early stern streak it seems. My first was Meteor awhile back which i still have. Next was a Trident. Then in the past 6 months I got a Cheetah (blue cab), Wild Fire, Stars and a Dracula. I need a lockdown bar for my Cheetah, would be great if anyone could help me out with that.

I’m sure that it’s the second one that you need here:
http://jtamusements.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=tk68jmmab31r0h46vp25ipr504&keyword=Stern+lockdown+

#2253 4 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Cheetah is widebody. That bar isn’t.

Good point. Didn’t think of that.

#2254 4 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Cheetah is widebody. That bar isn’t.

The Data East lockdown bars will work fine. Original Stern lockdowns are basically impossible to find. Use the DE one and pray one day an original will show up

#2255 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

The Data East lockdown bars will work fine. Original Stern lockdowns are basically impossible to find. Use the DE one and pray one day an original will show up

How many widebody data east game were there? GNR, WWF and BF? Better grab this last one floating around there.....

http://jtamusements.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4_23&products_id=1395&zenid=1m4j45ljvmls8t0trctit0r2q1

#2256 4 years ago

I don't think the widebody DE bars fit classic Stern games. The bar is a different length and the "tangs" are placed in different positions.

#2257 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

I don't think the widebody DE bars fit classic Stern games. The bar is a different length and the "tangs" are placed in different positions.

It won't if the tangs are in the wrong spot. The lockdown receiver on classic stern tab style lockdowns is the same between the widebody and narrow body it's just mounted in the middle and they made the lockdown bars by cutting regular bars up on an offset and joining them together.

#2258 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Pinball Life shows both the narrow and wide body lock down bars. Only one receiver is shown.

Since Data East just Gary Stern riding with a new name I’m betting the same economic manufacturing practices that drove Stern carried over to DE.

What worked for Stern was still good. Why reinvent the wheel?

I’m betting the wide DE bar will fit. It just will be painted black and not shiny stainless.

#2259 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Pinball Life shows both the narrow and wide body lock down bars. Only one receiver is shown.
Since Data East just Gary Stern riding with a new name I’m betting the same economic manufacturing practices that drove Stern carried over to DE.
What worked for Stern was still good. Why reinvent the wheel?
I’m betting the wide DE bar will fit. It just will be painted black and not shiny stainless.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-front-molding-lockdown-bar-receiver-assembly.html Read what this does and doesn't fit.

#2260 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Trident does not have enough solenoid circuits to run a chime box a custom driver board would have to be manufactured and added to j5.
Dracula and Wild Fyre conveniently are the exact same romset and do have space for a chime box. Can you test the roms once written? You'd wire up the chime box in the exact same configuration as Stars. Nugent will be under test soon but if you can test that as well too.
Currently Nugent just replaces the sounds with the chimes - there's no start up chime tune or anything yet. That can be added later.

And, for anyone interested, here is a very (very) short video of Nugent with chimes - https://photos.app.goo.gl/BKi7xL9qng28HYya6. Never heard Nugent with an SB-100 sound board, but I know it's just as awful as every other M-100 game. Thanks again for making this happen, Scott!

#2261 4 years ago

We went over this before. I bought the Data East receiver off a WWE and I had a classic Stern widebody lockdown bar for Orbitor 1 and my data East bars were interchangeable. Literally scroll up just a few posts.
They are identical and they will fit. Cotton made a HUGE post about how they are all interchangeable. I even emailed Pinball Life and explained it fits perfectly, I guess Terry either doesn’t believe me or hasn’t updated the site since then. They DO work. Trust me because I literally just bought them and they’re all interchangeable

#2262 4 years ago

We went over this before. I bought the Data East receiver off a WWE and I had a classic Stern widebody lockdown bar for Orbitor 1 and my data East bars were interchangeable. Literally scroll up just a few posts.
They are identical and they will fit. Cotton made a HUGE post about how they are all interchangeable. I even emailed Pinball Life and explained it fits perfectly, I guess Terry either doesn’t believe me or hasn’t updated the site since then. They DO work. Trust me because I literally just bought them and they’re all interchangeable

It is strange. All Terry has to do is walk out to his inventory, pull one wide body lock bar, one narrow body lock bar, and the one style of receiver that he has in stock and verify the info you passed back to him.

I have reread the Pinball Life link and the DE wide body lock bar is/was made by cutting up 2 standard lock bars and spot welding then to the part that mates to the receiver. This is the exact same way the Stern wide body bars were made. There is no way DE went to expense to conjure up some new fangled way to attach a wide body lock bar.

If Terry won't make a move after you showed him the way, then there is no point in me contacting him.

https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsega-widebody-front-molding-black.html

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 8.57.42 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-23 at 8.57.42 PM (resized).png

What his site does say is that there are LIMITED QUANTITIES of both the primo wide body bar and the 2nd rate wide body bar. So, if you have a Stern wide body pin and need a lockdown bar you might want to add to your inventory. You can always get it chrome plated or powder coated in Silver. You might wait around and get lucky and find an old original Stern wide body lockdown bar but that string has been getting pulled pretty hard of late. They are getting hard to find and the prices are going up.

#2263 4 years ago

You are correct that the latching assys. are the same, but the DE widebody bar is shorter. There was a difference, I just couldn't remember what it was. https://photos.app.goo.gl/aMc5AhM5DFPsiQ2R9

#2264 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

You are correct that the latching assys. are the same, but the DE widebody bar is shorter. There was a difference, I just couldn't remember what it was. https://photos.app.goo.gl/aMc5AhM5DFPsiQ2R9

I stand corrected. So, if I have this right, you can take a Stern Flight 2000 wide body lock bar and latch it down to a DE wide body. It will be a little long on the ends but can be attached?

But to try and latch a DE wide body bar to a Flight 2000 can not work because the DE wide body is narrower?

So, if you wish to have a new play field glass custom cut for your Stern wide body you cannot use the same play field glass on the DE wide body; The DE will also have to have a glass custom cut to yet another different size.

I assumed that Stern and DE wide body cabinets were the same size. Talk about mistaken assumptions.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

#2265 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I stand corrected. So, if I have this right, you can take a Stern Flight 2000 wide body lock bar and latch it down to a DE wide body. It will be a little long on the ends but can be attached?
But to try and latch a DE wide body bar to a Flight 2000 can not work because the DE wide body is narrower?
So, if you wish to have a new play field glass custom cut for your Stern wide body you cannot use the same play field glass on the DE wide body; The DE will also have to have a glass custom cut to yet another different size.
I assumed that Stern and DE wide body cabinets were the same size. Talk about mistaken assumptions.
I stand corrected. Thanks.

Odd note but I tried switching lockdown bars between my seawitch and my dragonfist and they don't work. Dragon fist works okay on seawitch, but the seawitch one is too narrow for dragonfist by just a hair...it is really weird.

#2266 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Odd note but I tried switching lockdown bars between my seawitch and my dragonfist and they don't work. Dragon fist works okay on seawitch, but the seawitch one is too narrow for dragonfist by just a hair...it is really weird.

That is just vagaries between cabinets. They were not built with a high degree of precision. Same for lock down bars. You can probably get a small hammer and do some tapping on the ends of the Seawitch bar and knock them out just a little bit to fit the Dragonfist cab.

#2267 4 years ago

Well well well

20190924_212111 (resized).jpg20190924_212111 (resized).jpg
#2268 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well well well

Very very jealous, would love to find ant get hold of a project Catacomb

#2269 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well well well [quoted image]

Oooo nice

#2270 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well well well

... you see what happens when you leave the garage door open?!

#2271 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well well well [quoted image]

There has to be a story on this. It does not look like a beater. Speak!

#2272 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There has to be a story on this. Speak!

My friend picked it up... And then I bought it from him!
So really not much of a story. I didn't even ask him anything I just needed it in my
Hands.
Gonna need some work, but hey it's got a real bagatelle gate so that's something

#2273 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So really not much of a story. I didn't even ask him anything I just needed it in my
Hands.
Gonna need some work, but hey it's got a real bagatelle gate so that's something

Does your friend have the initials MW? If not, there are a couple of these recently picked up in MI.

#2274 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Does your friend have the initials MW?

Yeah that's the one.
Funny how I'm not one Facebook so I didn't know he picked one up....and none of my other pinball chums told me aboot it even though they know I've been looking for a long time.

Oh you pinball rascals!

#2275 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hands.

So that's it? It sort of fell into your lap? No endless miles of highway hypnosis? No thrill of the chase? No getting bent over on the price?

I have one so I do not covet yours But I am jealous with the way some can just rub the Genie bottle and like magic a desired pin just sort of appears

#2276 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

So that's it? It sort of fell into your lap? No endless miles of highway hypnosis? No thrill of the chase? No getting bent over on the price?

Shit, he even delivered it

I'd say i love it when that happens but this might be the only time so it's a little new.

#2277 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That sounds like my MO for how I have acquired most of my classic Sterns.

#2278 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Shit, he even delivered it
I'd say i love it when that happens but this might be the only time so it's a little new.

Haha I saw that post and figured this is where it came from. It sounded like he was keeping it bassed on his initial post or I would have inquired about it as well. Maybe we need a classic stern row at PATZ next year?

#2279 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

That sounds like my MO for how I have acquired most of my classic Sterns.

If I could only be like that. I blew up the environment and tore up several highways chasing all of mine.

#2280 4 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

... you see what happens when you leave the garage door open?!

This is what happens, Larry...

#2281 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

So that's it? It sort of fell into your lap?

O.T. but similar... I did a basic repair on a pinball game.
Williams Jackbot. The lady said that she was just talking to
a local neighbor and her husband had just past away ( the original owner of the game )
and the widow did not need the game so she gave it to her, free.

#2282 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If I could only be like that. I blew up the environment and tore up several highways chasing all of mine.

What I meant was it has been a bit rough, made some silly trades and paid probably more than I should, some I did get lucky due to karma, so it's been a hell of a ride, but not easy.

That's part of the fun - played my QS and DF last night - love those games.

#2283 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Haha I saw that post and figured this is where it came from. It sounded like he was keeping it bassed on his initial post or I would have inquired about it as well. Maybe we need a classic stern row at PATZ next year?

I might be able to help with that. Been meaning to get to PATZ.

#2284 4 years ago

Got my Lectronamo fired up today, with the sound working for the first time.

Now I understand SB100 opinions.

What did I do to deserve this?

#2285 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Brtual

#2286 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Could be worse ...

It could be a Gottlieb System 1 ....

BEEP BEEP BEEP BOOOOOP

rd

#2287 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Got my Lectronamo fired up today, with the sound working for the first time.

Talk to Scott Charles about getting chime code for Lectronamo. He did it for Nugent, which is the same code. Then, just acquire some Stern or Bally chimes. Nugent never sounded better!!!!

#2288 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Could be worse ...
It could be a Gottlieb System 1 ....
BEEP BEEP BEEP BOOOOOP
rd

Nope. Beep-boop is not nearly as bad as bladda-dada-da and pew!

#2289 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Nugent never sounded better!!!!

Check out Terry at Pinball Life’s Nugent, if you get a chance. That sounds pretty rad!

Spoiler: it actually plays real Nugent music and sound effects. So does his KISS.

rd

#2290 4 years ago

Ok, what am I missing here? I keep blowing Q4, for my outhole coil.
I can trip it by grounding the tab on Q4, and it fires nice and strong, so I know the wiring is good as is the coil voltage.
All other coils are working fine.

Last time I replaced Q4, the coil fired 2-3 times during test, and looks like the transistor went dead again now.
Won't fire either in the game or via test mode.

Nothing is shorting out around the outhole, I replaced the old aluminum sleeve with a nylon one just in case.
New diode on the coil, wiring isn't backwards.

Never had this kind of repeated transistor failure before. But I'm also new to the Bally/Stern SDB. So not sure if I'm missing something.

-Hans

#2291 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Never had this kind of repeated transistor failure before. But I'm also new to the Bally/Stern SDB. So not sure if I'm missing something.

Bad coil? Internally shorted?

Chuck in a new one and see what happens.

rd

#2292 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

I can trip it by grounding the tab on Q4, and it fires nice and strong, so I know the wiring is good as is the coil voltage.
Last time I replaced Q4, the coil fired 2-3 times during test, and looks like the transistor went dead again now.
Nothing is shorting out around the outhole, I replaced the old aluminum sleeve with a nylon one just in case.
-Hans

Is Q4 blowing to pieces or just stop functioning?
Did you reflow the print headers at the driver board?
Sometimes you cannot see the hair fractures...
In this case it should be visible.

Measure the Q4 with a multimeter at diode setting and compare with the other transistors.
If this is oke, replace the CA3081 at U1.

#2293 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

-Hans

I've seen this a few times. Bad diode, or wired backwards. The EMF from the coil winding is blowing the TIP. Hence why you can ground the tab as many times as you like and it works perfectly every time.

#2294 4 years ago
Quoted from pinfixer:

I've seen this a few times. Bad diode, or wired backwards. The EMF from the coil winding is blowing the TIP. Hence why you can ground the tab as many times as you like and it works perfectly every time.

Pinfixer is exactly right.

This is what that flyback diode is for. Your coil is an inductor and stores energy in its magnetic field. When it switches off, the field collapses and can cause voltage transients in the switching transistors outside of their specification, destroying them.

#2295 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

And, for anyone interested, here is a very (very) short video of Nugent with chimes - https://photos.app.goo.gl/BKi7xL9qng28HYya6. Never heard Nugent with an SB-100 sound board, but I know it's just as awful as every other M-100 game. Thanks again for making this happen, Scott!

That is fantastic! And they said it couldn't be done. Way to go Scott!
Now for the rest of the -100 Sterns that need the chime treatment. =)

#2296 4 years ago

One of the first things I tried was checking/replacing the coil diode.

Here's where things get weird. It actually worked this morning for a brief time. Looks like if I let the whole thing sit for a while, powered off, I'll get a couple shots with that coil before it rapidly loses strength and stops working. Supply voltage and wiring though are both fine as it fires at full strength if I ground the drive transistor.

I think I'm just going to rebuild the whole circuit for that coil on the SDB, from the 3081 on down.

#2297 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

I think I'm just going to rebuild the whole circuit for that coil on the SDB, from the 3081 on down.

The transistor usually only blows when there's a problem with the diode on the coil preventing the back EMF being blocked, otherwise most other issues should cause the solenoid fuse under the playfield to blow, not the transistor. Check that fuse and make sure someone hasn't overfused it. Should be a 1 amp slow blow. Banded side of the coil diode should be on the yellow wire. Measure the DC resistance of that coil, it should probably be in the 9 - 10 ohm range.

#2298 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The transistor usually only blows when there's a problem with the diode on the coil preventing the back EMF being blocked, otherwise most other issues should cause the solenoid fuse under the playfield to blow, not the transistor. Check that fuse and make sure someone hasn't overfused it. Should be a 1 amp slow blow. Banded side of the coil diode should be on the yellow wire. Measure the DC resistance of that coil, it should probably be in the 9 - 10 ohm range.

Yep, fuse is fine. Coil is wired correctly. Coil diode has been replaced. Coil ohm's out fine.
All other solenoids are working just fine.

If it sits overnight the outhole will fire fine once or twice, then get super weak, then stop altogether.

Just very odd.

#2299 4 years ago

Looks like one of the previous times Q4 went, it gave U1 a hit. Replaced U1 and CR4, things are working properly now. At least in that area.

Still plenty of work to do and the restoration continues.

I can at least play full games now, with full solenoids and switches.

#2300 4 years ago

Need a little help with a Dracula flipper rebuild.

I just noticed that the switch stack on one flipper appears to have an extra switch (or some kind of EOS i haven't seen yet - this is my first classic Stern). In any case, the tabs on the switch base aren't connected to anything, but there are old solder lumps on the tabs. What is supposed to be happening here?

IMG_3634 (resized).jpgIMG_3634 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/46?hl=gott_lieb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.