229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 215.
#151 5 years ago

From trash to treasure.

2013-08-19 17.32.03 (resized).jpg2013-08-19 17.32.03 (resized).jpg2013-08-22 17.17.58 (resized).jpg2013-08-22 17.17.58 (resized).jpg2013-09-13 18.28.41 (resized).jpg2013-09-13 18.28.41 (resized).jpg
#152 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I need to find a cheetah to go with my big game. I’m sure I’ll be looking for a long time, if not, forever though. Never even hear it mentioned in casual conversation, let alone see one for sale.

There was a Cheetah up in Michigan that sold on Ebay not too long ago. It was rough. No back glass. But it had a blue cabinet instead of black. It looked like it would be a pretty pin when cleaned up.

I'd like to have a Cheetah but I have no more room.

#153 5 years ago

I have a decent Big Game, boards are fully rebuilt, everything works perfectly, BG has minor cracking near the bottom. Recent flipper rebuilds. PF has some light wear but is almost entirely intact (swirl marks). Plays awesome.

Any idea of the current market value?

#154 5 years ago

I want your Cheetah, PM sent.

(take the highest offer)

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

From trash to treasure.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Mike, your game plays very nicely!!

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I have a decent Big Game, boards are fully rebuilt, everything works perfectly, BG has minor cracking near the bottom. Recent flipper rebuilds. PF has some light wear but is almost entirely intact (swirl marks). Plays awesome.
Any idea of the current market value?

I'll start the bidding at 1kCAN.

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I want your Cheetah, PM sent.
(take the highest offer)

2k was my offer with the insert wear.

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Yes, Trident is a good one, though I always thought the best MPU100 game was Stern Magic.

Brian, thank you for the beautiful Nine Ball. Plays great. Love my Stern Magic. The last game to ever leave my collection.

Stern Magic 1 (resized).JPGStern Magic 1 (resized).JPGStern Magic Pinball Playfield  (resized).JPGStern Magic Pinball Playfield (resized).JPG
#159 5 years ago

Must admit I've never played a Magic or Trident as far as I know.

#160 5 years ago

I'm a sound set junkie. Most of these classic Sterns we are discussing here have the sounds that jazz me. Big Game sound set was a hit from day one. Nine Ball has some cool sounds. Catacomb took a bit to grow on me. And there is Seawitch, screaming witch that she is. Dragonfist has a nice sound set. After living with these sounds it is hard for me to go back to chimes like Trident and Hot Hand.

If I had the room, I would like to have both an Ali and a Meteor. But both pins, especially Meteor, has that humming sound that drives me nuts. With Meteor I guess it is supposed to be a Meteor crashing into Earth. I know Meteor looks like a blast to play but that humming....

Bally's sounds were..ahh... interesting, I suppose. Look at this rare 326 unit Bally Voltan. Beautiful game. But what is it with those Bally sounds? They make a great looking pin seem mediocre.

And Gottlieb had a catalog of strange sounds that I just cannot wrap myself around. Here is Genie. Beautiful game to look at but those sounds...

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Must admit I've never played a Magic or Trident as far as I know.

Magic is a gem.

Trident is a turd, dont waste your time.

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I know this has been brought up before but when does it stop being a restoration and become a new build?
You have an original back glass. I have a repro.
You have original plastics.. I have repro.
You will need repro pop caps as do I.
You are going to install a repro play field, as am I.
You have an original Stern cabinet, as do I. Except my cab is a sacrifice Dracula which is an original Stern cabinet.
All play field parts will be shopped and replaced. New flippers. New coil stops. etc.
When does your original SG become a builder? Repro play field + repro back glass + repro pop caps + repro plastics.
And then say you sell your old worn play field to someone who will restore it and put it back together. What will that guy have?
Which machine will have the most value? The one that looks closest to original? Or, say one with highly polished stainless lock down bar and polished rails as opposed to a machine with the rails and lock bar regrained to look original?
Obviously, the documented mint condition unmolested pin would be worth more than all of the others but by how much?
Let me dial my shoe phone. I'll call Agent 99 and see if she has the answers

I would say: The one that plays better. As that is of paramount importance vs looking nice. If you have both, then you really have a sweet copy!

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There was a Cheetah up in Michigan that sold on Ebay not too long ago. It was rough. No back glass. But it had a blue cabinet instead of black. It looked like it would be a pretty pin when cleaned up.
I'd like to have a Cheetah but I have no more room.

The blue cabinet has the better prototype roms. Much better sounds. Although the Green cabinet is better looking. The better sounds win out!

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

Any ideas on the value of Cheetah? None has ever sold on Pinside and it seems to show up less often than some of these other titles. There's only 37 owners listed on Pinside. Any information on what range they are selling in?

i was offered one for $1200 cdn about 6 months ago

#165 5 years ago

Trident and Hot hand had that crappy sound board like the rest of the MPU100 had. Sounds of late 70's digital cash register comes to mind.

Very few chime games from Stern but when you find one, they sound great! The only manufacterer to use a wooden box as the chime box. Others used plastic. The wood gives the Sterns their special chime sound. Stern cime games are few: Memory Lane, Stars, Pinball, Stingray.

Had a chance to play a decent "Pinball" and wasn't expecting much. Was pleasantly surprised with it as it was one of their very first efforts.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm a sound set junkie. Most of these classic Sterns we are discussing here have the sounds that jazz me. Big Game sound set was a hit from day one. Nine Ball has some cool sounds. Catacomb took a bit to grow on me. And there is Seawitch, screaming witch that she is. Dragonfist has a nice sound set. After living with these sounds it is hard for me to go back to chimes like Trident and Hot Hand.
If I had the room, I would like to have both an Ali and a Meteor. But both pins, especially Meteor, has that humming sound that drives me nuts. With Meteor I guess it is supposed to be a Meteor crashing into Earth. I know Meteor looks like a blast to play but that humming....
Bally's sounds were..ahh... interesting, I suppose. Look at this rare 326 unit Bally Voltan. Beautiful game. But what is it with those Bally sounds? They make a great looking pin seem mediocre.

And Gottlieb had a catalog of strange sounds that I just cannot wrap myself around. Here is Genie. Beautiful game to look at but those sounds...

#166 5 years ago

My restored Cheetah with NOS Bill Davis cleared playfield and prototype roms with green cab went for way north of that.

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Cool, thanks for the info.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

My restored Cheetah with NOS Bill Davis cleared playfield and prototype roms with green cab went for way north of that.

I'm sure it did. I've got the ROMs installed on mine that don't allow the bonus collect over and over. It makes it way more fun to play.

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Check out the video of Genie with Hulk sounds using the all in one board. Much better.

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from terrapinmark:

Brian, thank you for the beautiful Nine Ball. Plays great. Love my Stern Magic. The last game to ever leave my collection.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I had a Magic many years ago and it did nothing for me game play wise. But your copy sure is pretty! =)

One of the prettiest Stern playfields.

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

I'm sure it did. I've got the ROMs installed on mine that don't allow the bonus collect over and over. It makes it way more fun to play.

I had those roms too but opted for the prototype roms given the choice. The better sounds especially the bonus countdown is worth it.
Just set the game up steep and that shot is not nearly as repeatably doable.

#172 5 years ago

I will just set this right here....

20180819_113630 (resized).jpg20180819_113630 (resized).jpg20180912_175000 (resized).jpg20180912_175000 (resized).jpg
#173 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Stern cime games are few: Memory Lane, Stars, Pinball, Stingray.

OK. My operator friend who sold of most of his pins picked up a Memory Lane. He set it up with a quarter per play. I'll have to go play it.

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

I will just set this right here....
[quoted image][quoted image]

Which plays better? Star Gazer or Fathom?

There is a Fathom at Cactus Jack's. Maybe they don't have it set steep enough but it does nothing for me. It is a beautiful pin but from the first moment that mealy mouthed voice says "Fathom" and that rhythmic sound starts I start losing the thrill of the chase. I'd rather play Interflip Dragon.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There is a Fathom at Cactus Jack's. Maybe they don't have it set steep enough but it does nothing for me. It is a beautiful pin but from the first moment that mealy mouthed voice says "Fathom" and that rhythmic sound starts I start losing the thrill of the chase. I'd rather play Interflip Dragon.

That's like asking if a blonde or a brunette is better in bed...let's just say those two are bolted to the floor, Seabitch is for sale and Meteor is newer to the collection. I need more time on it.

#176 5 years ago

I wouldn't mind owning a seawitch; Nice change of pace with that weird layout.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

there was a quicksilver for sale here in sask recently for $2500 cdn. was on kijiji for a couple weeks.

When / where was this exactly?

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

That's like asking if a blonde or a brunette is better in bed...let's just say those two are bolted to the floor, Seabitch is for sale and Meteor is newer to the collection. I need more time on it.

Stilltryin for 4800 on that seawitch, lol.

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Stilltryin for 4800 on that seawitch, lol.

go away...$4300

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Star Gazer all day, every day.

Interflip Dragon is a great game....brutal as hell.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Star Gazer all day, every day.

You got that right. It looks like a pushover. It isn't.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Those two are pretty comparable, Fathom has a more traditional layout while SG is pretty unique.

QS beats both of them.

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Those two are pretty comparable, Fathom has a more traditional layout while SG is pretty unique.
QS beats both of them.

your QS is the only one I have played (at least for one that actually plays well). I have always been curious, are the flippers intended to have as much travel as they do? They go further than any other game (even the always trap GTB premiers).

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

BBAAAAAOOOOOOO

<Now back to your regularly scheduled Classic Stern Programming>

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

QS beats both of them.

Only for the color green.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

The blue cabinet has the better prototype roms. Much better sounds. Although the Green cabinet is better looking. The better sounds win out!

Wow, I had never run across the existence of alternate ROMs for Cheetah until now! I thought I was pretty expert on the Classic Sterns, but just goes to show there's always more to learn. The "blue cabinet" ROMs are not mentioned on IPDB.org, but I got the copy from PinMame so I look forward to trying them out!

#187 5 years ago

I've heard about "alternate ROMs" for Dragonfist, Iron Maiden, NB. Would love to find where to get them.

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I've heard about "alternate ROMs" for Dragonfist, Iron Maiden, NB. Would love to find where to get them.

Different from the roms on IPDB for Dragonfist?

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Dude:

Wow, I had never run across the existence of alternate ROMs for Cheetah until now!

My Cheetah the proto roms (blue cabinet). And once I heard the sounds for the regular roms, that are supposed to be in the game, they just sounded weird to me. More likely because I'm just used to the proto ones. I assume the rules are the same, just the sounds are different.

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

My Cheetah the proto roms (blue cabinet). And once I heard the sounds for the regular roms, that are supposed to be in the game, they just sounded weird to me. More likely because I'm just used to the proto ones. I assume the rules are the same, just the sounds are different.

I'm going to have to try the proto ROMs . It may be a good trade off from the updated rules.

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

I'm going to have to try the proto ROMs . It may be a good trade off from the updated rules.

I don't think the rules are different...just the sounds. There were a different set of roms someone made for Cheetah that did change the rules for the left orbit bonus collect, but that is different altogether than the proto ones Stern issued.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

When / where was this exactly?

saskatoon kijiji about 2 months ago. pins seem to move slower in the summer. not even sure it sold or ad was pulled.

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I don't think the rules are different...just the sounds. There were a different set of roms someone made for Cheetah that did change the rules for the left orbit bonus collect, but that is different altogether than the proto ones Stern issued.

Yes, I currently have the roms that limit the bonus collect. It might be worth changing out if the sounds are that much better.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

QS beats both of them.

Anyone that thinks any classic Stern is a better playing game than Fathom is living a lie. Remember, rare does not always equate to good. I love the classic Stern machines but c'mon man... we all know how any why they were made. There is a reason that back when these Stern machines were available they did not earn as well and were cheaper machines to purchase, compared with Bally and Williams.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Anyone that thinks any classic Stern is a better playing game than Fathom is living a lie. Remember, rare does not always equate to good. I love the classic Stern machines but c'mon man... we all know how any why they were made. There is a reason that back when these Stern machines were available they did not earn as well and were cheaper machines to purchase, compared with Bally and Williams.

I just recently played Fathom and Seawitch and I thought Seawitch was way more fun to play than Fathom.

And Seawitch is like number 6 on my Classic Stern list for players.

But, each to their own.

Is Quicksilver really head and shoulders the best player of the classic Sterns? I can't answer as haven't played one. Want one though

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I just recently played Fathom and Seawitch and I thought Seawitch was way more fun to play than Fathom.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I just can't get over how the shots in Seawitch are not properly lined up with the flippers. That right orbit area is a dumpster fire.

One reason I like classic Sterns is that you can set them up to be very difficult, while still remaining very fun. But it's harder to fix how the play field is designed.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

True the build quality nod goes to Bally of the day. But the think out of the box playfield design, drop targets that sweep instead of brick, smooth flow vs chunky/clunky...nod goes to Classic Stern. Prof in the pudding....My Fathom has been off legs for the past 2 years in favor of my Stars in its place.

EBD however is bolted to the floor as is Paragon

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I just can't get over how the shots in Seawitch are not properly lined up with the flippers. That right orbit area is a dumpster fire.

What impedes that right orbit shot is that thin flexible metal "gate". I've seen someone mod it to a curved metal rod gate with spring instead as the original was missing. I think it helped that shot a lot.

#199 5 years ago

I am a firm believer that your opinion of a game is in response to the exact tables that you have played over the years. The newer the machine (of the same title), the more similar one plays to to another.

So, these early solid state games have a MUCH wider gap of how one title of the same name plays to the next. I think that is one reason people seem to have such strong opinions of older machines. The older the machine, the wider the opinion gap.

Possibly it would only take one single experience on a Star Gazer or Quicksilver to change my mind. I have played two examples of each for a very extended time (many multiplayer games for hours) to learn to detailed rules of each table. I have decided that neither are worth owning. I suppose I could change my mind but that is probably just as likely as someone who does not like Fathom, playing a different example of it and changing their mind on the spot, erasing all the negative playing experiences in the past 15 years.

Truth be told, my favorite Bally game is my Mr/MS Pac-man. Every other single Mr/Ms I have ever played was absolute crap. Lamps/switches not working, flippers not aligned, ect. Yeah, I know. Flame away.

Back on topic, I don't think you could buy a decent Seawitch for less than 2500 these days. The other two are basically impossible to price since it's a sellers market on those 2 titles. Could you buy one for 3K... maybe a beater. 5K gives you a better chance at them but you can't buy one for 5K if you can't find one for sale. A few have been "built" from parts or populated PF's. That's seems to be the way to go if you are on a budget.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

So everyone who doesn't think as you is living a lie? Ok....

Actually I think two of the classic Sterns are better than any Bally, and I have several of the Bally games, and enjoy them as well.

Hope it doesn't keep you up at night.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Copenhagen
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 169.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.