229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 215.
#1801 4 years ago

Ok... put back together my dracula.. changed all the fuses, connectors. Looked good. Upon powering on i keep blowing the f2 fuse on the rectifier board. Where would i go from here?

Thanks

#1802 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Getadam, I would classify you as a mover and a shaker.
Your next assignment is to go buy a Cheetah in need of plastics and make another call to CPR for a repeat performance

Second and thirded. These are needed.

#1803 4 years ago

Picked this baby up today. Back glass is near perfect. Had the deal worked out with a buddy for a while but finally got it today.

IMG_20190629_111926279 (resized).jpgIMG_20190629_111926279 (resized).jpgIMG_20190629_115614687 (resized).jpgIMG_20190629_115614687 (resized).jpg
#1804 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Picked this baby up today. Back glass is near perfect. Had the deal worked out with a buddy for a while but finally got it today.

Nice! The backglass is always the worst part. I'm waiting for a new one to arrive; I ordered a repro from Coos Hakvoort and it should arrive next week.

#1805 4 years ago

I can't grab it, but someone should.

SOLD!
Machine - For Sale
Stern Ali Archived
Used - shows wear, needs some work - “Stern Ali- Nice playfield, backglass is better the most, but does have some paint loss in the corner. Cabinet has checking, but solid. Game works and plays well, could use new con...”
2019-06-30
Gardner, MA
Archived after: 20 days
Viewed: 502 times
Contributed to Pinside

#1806 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Nice! The backglass is always the worst part. I'm waiting for a new one to arrive; I ordered a repro from Coos Hakvoort and it should arrive next week.

Interested to hear how Coos's backglasses look. He really has some interesting stuff on his site.
His bingo work is amazing...

#1807 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well at least they were direct with you. They told me the new process isn’t up yet, so they couldn’t do it.
Mirco says he’s too busy. I got a good used playfield I’m willing to donate to any maker. Just tell me where to send it.

I’ve actually got a NOS Big Game playfield that I’d be willing to trade for a NOS Cheetah playfield if that would work for anybody out there. I’ve seen Cheetah’s come up a couple times in the last few years so I know they are out there....

#1808 4 years ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I can't grab it, but someone should.

I was not aware that Ali was selling for $1,000.00 plus.

Sale Pending!

Stern Ali

New!

Used - shows wear, needs some work “Stern Ali-
Nice playfield, backglass is better the most, but does have some paint loss in the corner. Cabinet has checking, but solid. Game works and plays well, could use new con...”

13 hours ago

Gardner, MA

shacklersrevenge

#1809 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I was not aware that Ali was selling for $1,000.00 plus.

Pretty much any MPU 200 game is $1k+ these days. We won't discuss the other part of the equation, though.

#1810 4 years ago

I'd be happy to buy one for under $1000, but i've never seen one. I'm not sure that one is worth $1500 with the cabinet in such rough shape, but $150 for stencils and some paint, it could look much better.

#1811 4 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Interested to hear how Coos's backglasses look. He really has some interesting stuff on his site.
His bingo work is amazing...

It's beautiful! Nice mirroring and great colour rendering. Absolutely no registration lines from misaligned print heads, which is something that other reproducers inexplicably struggle with. Some dithering to be seen up close but that's impossible to avoid with the current process. Nice definition between colours and no mushiness/blending at the edges. There's a little smudging at the transition from mirror to black around the player numbers. It's not a perfect reproduction, but it's certainly a very good one, and captures the original better than any other reproduction currently available.

Unfortunately, FedEx managed to destroy it even through the massive packaging effort that Coos put into it, so I've sent a sad email and I'm waiting to see how he responds. This has not been a very good day.
asset (resized).jpgasset (resized).jpg

#1812 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

It's beautiful! Nice mirroring and great colour rendering. Absolutely no registration lines from misaligned print heads, which is something that other reproducers inexplicably struggle with. Some dithering to be seen up close but that's impossible to avoid with the current process. Nice definition between colours and no mushiness/blending at the edges. There's a little smudging at the transition from mirror to black around the player numbers. It's not a perfect reproduction, but it's certainly a very good one, and captures the original better than any other reproduction currently available.
Unfortunately, FedEx managed to destroy it even through the massive packaging effort that Coos put into it, so I've sent a sad email and I'm waiting to see how he responds. This has not been a very good day.
[quoted image]

Is that made of glass? I would assume so. But it sure is not tempered glass breaking into shards like that.

#1813 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Is that made of glass? I would assume so. But it sure is not tempered glass breaking into shards like that.

It is standard pane glass, the same as the original.

#1814 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yeah, that is not a good sign. I wouldn't want a plate glass backglass. Hopefully, you get that straightened out with insurance claim.

#1815 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

It is standard pane glass, the same as the original.

Are you sure the Stern originals were not made of tempered glass? That just not sound right.

I do have a blown out original Meteor back glass I could take a hammer to verify this.

#1816 4 years ago

Don't test it on my account! I'm just making an assumption. Either way, Coos is filing a claim and making me another... so now I'll just have to wait.

#1817 4 years ago

We need someone to make a quicksilver backglass!!!! I need one so bad.

#1818 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

We need someone to make a quicksilver backglass!!!! I need one so bad.

BG Resto. I got one. it looks nice.

#1819 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

BG Resto. I got one. it looks nice.

Ya I know might have to go that way

#1820 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

I'm just making an assumption.

As you wish. But I know for fact that John Greatwich uses tempered glass for his repro back glasses.

My guess, my assumption is that CPR uses tempered glass for its back glasses, as well.

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/meteor-green/

The one you bought looks nice but if it is not tempered glass, I'm out.

#1821 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

As you wish. But I know for fact that John Greatwich uses tempered glass for his repro back glasses.
My guess, my assumption is that CPR uses tempered glass for its back glasses, as well.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/meteor-green/
The one you bought looks nice but if it is not tempered glass, I'm out.

Most original backglass pre 1990 were not tempered that why sometimes you see some with a crack and taped together.

https://pinside.com/pinball/search?q=Cracked+backglass

#1822 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Most original backglass pre 1990 were not tempered that why sometimes you see some with a crack and taped together.
https://pinside.com/pinball/search?q=Cracked+backglass

Good point. I stand corrected.

#1823 4 years ago

Hey guys does anyone have a source/link for the roll over button assembly A-181 parts? maybe they're interchangeable with Williams 70s models?

Missing one from my Stars trying to get back going; thanks!

#1824 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey guys does anyone have a source/link for the roll over button assembly A-181 parts? maybe they're interchangeable with Williams 70s models?
Missing one from my Stars trying to get back going; thanks!

Which part do you need? The switch? The plastic star insert?

#1825 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Which part do you need? The switch? The plastic star insert?

Actually now that I get it all together...I picked what maybe a willimms button but it appears to be very similar other than the round/octagonal bottom shaft (?) ...so I think all I need is the name to this type of washer clip on the end holding the bottom on and I can see if this will work.

20190705_173704 (resized).jpg20190705_173704 (resized).jpg
#1826 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Actually now that I get it all together...I picked what maybe a willimms button but it appears to be very similar other than the round/octagonal bottom shaft (?) ...so I think all I need is the name to this type of washer clip on the end holding the bottom on and I can see if this will work.[quoted image]

You want some Starlock washers. If you have full service hardware store close by, you might be able to buy 1 or 2. But shop around on Amazon; Prices are all over the place.

https://www.amazon.com/s

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 7.00.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-07-05 at 7.00.27 PM (resized).png

#1827 4 years ago

Thanks...never have known the name at all...SHAME!

Quoted from dasvis:

Also known as push nuts

Ahhh makes sense thanks!

#1828 4 years ago

Also known as push nuts

#1829 4 years ago

So I’m in discussion with my tech guy trying to solve my issue, but thought I’d also ask the considerable brains trust on here, hoping it’ll speed things up.

I bought a Quicksilver a few weeks back, it didn’t boot up but was in overall decent condition. I sent all the boards off for a check over/repair and I replaced the rectifier board with a new one.

When I bought my QS, the LED on the MPU would stay on with no blinks, no sound, no game start, displays would partly work but not really and most GI and insert lighting was working.

I reinstalled the repaired and “tested ok” boards yesterday. Upon turning it back on for the first time, it shut down my Funhouse which was being played by my son at the time (it’s powered by the same power point). Fuse F6 on the rectifier board was cooked, luckily no damage done to FH. I replaced the fuse and turned QS on again with no success. The LED remained on with no blinks, the displays showed nothing and no sounds other than the occasional noise outburst when turning it on. The fuse went on to blow a couple more times before I gave up. The fuse (besides when I first turned it on) didn’t blow straight away, possibly after a minute or 2 or 5.

I double checked all the wiring and it appears to be good. The rectifier board was partly in kit form. I installed this first with the unrepaired boards and this didn’t blow any fuses.

Some basic research has me thinking the in-line filter may be stuffed, especially given Funhouse copped a mouthful.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

#1830 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

So I’m in discussion with my tech guy trying to solve my issue, but thought I’d also ask the considerable brains trust on here, hoping it’ll speed things up.

I suggest you open a tech support thread in the Early Solid State Tech sub-forum:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/tech-early-80s-solid-state

Post pictures of how your transformer is wired and the three connectors that are plugged onto the rectifier board clearly showing the wire colors/positions.

Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Some basic research has me thinking the in-line filter may be stuffed

The inline EMI filter is before fuse F6 so that fuse doesn't protect against a filter fault. A problem with that filter will hopefully trip a fuse in your house fuse box.

#1831 4 years ago

Back to working on the kinks on my Stingray. New flipper coil is firing well but after awhile it won't fire - aggressive flipping gets it going sometimes. Sanded the new EOS and played with the cabinet flipper switches a bit. My money is on the cabinet flipper switch.

While I play around I figure new cabinet flipper switches make sense... Does anyone happen to know what part(s) to order?

Thanks for the help!!

#1832 4 years ago

I've created these custom apron cards for Trident, and am making them available for $10 per set, including US postage. I print these on a photo printer using OEM ink (no cheap third party) and OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then cover in 3 mil clear gloss laminate, and razor cut to size.

Please PM me if interested.

Trident-1 (resized).jpgTrident-1 (resized).jpgTrident-2 (resized).jpgTrident-2 (resized).jpg
#1833 4 years ago

Question for the expert? Do you know if all the cab are the same...

I want to put a Catacomb in a dracula cab? Do i have to expect any problem?

#1834 4 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Other than the play field supports on the side of the cab there is no difference I can see.

You should have no problems.

#1835 4 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

You may have to swap transformers also. I'm pretty sure Dracula used the 3b version.

#1836 4 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

new project?

#1837 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidC:

new project?

Pas vraiment... un cab redone! I miss you buddy!

#1838 4 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

You may have to swap transformers also. I'm pretty sure Dracula used the 3b version.

Trident, Dracula, Memory Lane, and Hot Hand use the 16B-3 transformer. These are all MPU-100 games. From Ali to Dragonfist, all MPU-200 games the transformer is Stern's 16B-6.

The only difference that I can find is that the F-4 fuse on the rectifier board is rated at 5 amps for the 16B-3 and F-4 fuse is rated at 7 amps on the 16B-6. I don't know why Stern bumped the 16B-6 to 7 amp fuse.

The transformers will interchange. Well, at least you can use a 16B-3 in a MPU-200 pin. We know the rectifier boards are the same. But I don't if there are differences in the MPU and SDU boards that would that would either prevent you, or allow you, to use a 7 amp 16B-6 in an MPU-100 pin. And I also do not know if you could replace a 7 amp fuse on a 16B-6 with a 5 amp fuse.

A Bally 122-125 transformer is a direct crossover for the 16B-3 Stern transformer. They use the same fuses and have the same amperages on all 6 fuses.

#1839 4 years ago

It's my understanding that stern upgraded the transformers to be able to drive more than 2 flippers on the playfield. Maybe Quench or KenLayton may be able to chime in on the topic.

#1840 4 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

It's my understanding that stern upgraded the transformers to be able to drive more than 2 flippers on the playfield. Maybe quench or kenlayton may be able to chime in on the topic.

That is entirely possible and makes a lot of sense because Big Game and Seawitch (both 4 flipper games) were coming down the line. However, Dracula does have 3 flippers.

#1841 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The only difference that I can find is that the F-4 fuse on the rectifier board is rated at 5 amps for the 16B-3 and F-4 fuse is rated at 7 amps on the 16B-6. I don't know why Stern bumped the 16B-6 to 7 amp fuse.

Yeah, transformer upgraded for higher solenoid current. You might notice most if not all MPU200 games have stronger flippers compared to the MPU100 games.
Most MPU100 games had 25-500/34-5050 flipper coils while the MPU200 games used 25-475/34-4500. Galaxy even lists 25-450/34-4500
Plus a number of MPU200 games had 4 flippers.

Quoted from Redketchup:

I want to put a Catacomb in a dracula cab?

Is this a scratch build from a Catacomb playfield only? If yes, what are you doing for the head lightboard with the bagatelle artwork?

#1842 4 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Pas vraiment... un cab redone! I miss you buddy!

ok beau projet...je suis de jour cette sem, je te call...

#1843 4 years ago

Folks
I got a Meteor and a Quicksilver.

When I turn them on both of them boot up ok but hang with a sound playing. Press start starts the game and the sound goes away but I just wondered why this is happening and can I fix it?

#1844 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Folks
I got a Meteor and a Quicksilver.
When I turn them on both of them boot up ok but hang with a sound playing. Press start starts the game and the sound goes away but I just wondered why this is happening and can I fix it?

For Seawitch and Quicksilver there is a dip switch to turn off the background noise. Meteor probably has it as well. Check your manuals.

#1845 4 years ago

Anybody happen to have a working SB-100? The board in my Dracula seems to be shorting out and I can’t find where.

#1846 4 years ago

I ended up with a superfluous Wild Fyre translite and would be willing to let it go at my cost + shipping.

Images attached are one with back lighting to show masking affect, second is the back side showing masking layer. Third is what it would look like w/o back lights on.

PM for details.

WF (resized).jpgWF (resized).jpgWF 2 (resized).jpgWF 2 (resized).jpgwf 3 (resized).jpgwf 3 (resized).jpg
#1847 4 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

Anybody happen to have a working SB-100? The board in my Dracula seems to be shorting out and I can’t find where.

Are the ones that barakandl sells through his nvram-weebly business compatible with SB-100 or only SB-300? When you find a working/new board make sure to buy a new wiring harness from nvram-weebly as they are almost always a problem, and cheap to replace.

#1848 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Are the ones that barakandl sells through his nvram-weebly business compatible with SB-100 or only SB-300? When you find a working/new board make sure to buy a new wiring harness from nvram-weebly as they are almost always a problem, and cheap to replace.

Im not sure which ones it’s compatible with. I did already get the new harness, was hoping that was it.

#1849 4 years ago

After chasing gremlins all afternoon on a project Galaxy I finally got it up and playing correctly. The only issue I have is in attract the score displays don't show the high score to date, it alternates between the last game played score and then shows "2 5 7" instead. Is this normal like when Big Game flashes all 7's on the displays?

#1850 4 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

After chasing gremlins all afternoon on a project Galaxy I finally got it up and playing correctly. The only issue I have is in attract the score displays don't show the high score to date, it alternates between the last game played score and then shows "2 5 7" instead. Is this normal like when Big Game flashes all 7's on the displays?

Clear the memory of the high score location.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 169.00
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
Copenhagen
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/37 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.