229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 215.
#1651 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh year, one more item you will need that is not on your Dracula. Quicksilver uses one 3-place drop target assembly. It also uses a 4-place drop target assembly. AFAIK, QS is the only classic Stern to use a 4 -place drop assembly. I could be wrong, but I think you will have to get creative.

Seawitch has a 4-bank as does Galaxy. I think Nuge may be a 4 also. I'm sure there are more. 3 is the most common though.

#1652 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

After collecting Sterns for several years now, finally was able to acquire the one on the top of of my list.[quoted image]

Congrats!

I was chasing a DF for 8 years, and finally landed it back in Nov. Unfortunately, there's no space to set it up at the moment. :/ I'm anxious to play it though! When I first played it 8 years ago, I determined that it was the fastest classic Stern out there. I'm not certain if that still holds true.

#1653 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Seawitch has a 4-bank as does Galaxy. I think Nuge may be a 4 also. I'm sure there are more. 3 is the most common though.

Scrap Nuge, but insert Wild Fyre.

#1654 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

After collecting Sterns for several years now, finally was able to acquire the one on the top of of my list.[quoted image]

Looks mint!

#1655 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You will need a new lamp board and SDU (Alltek) . You will need a play field harness and displays/back box harness; I believe Third Coast pinball has tooled up for the QS play field harness. He does have the back box harness. Shawn's wire harnesses will be the best money you ever spend.
Weebly has a new sound board, I think.
16B-3 vs. 16B-6 flipper amps from rectifier board is 5 amps on the MPU-100 pins and 7 amps on the MPU-200 pins.

Thanks. Yes, the pf and backbox harness would be the wiring side of it. It could be done manually (maybe even modifying the ones from Dracula).

In reviewing the schematics, yes the fuse difference at F4 on the rectifier board is 5 amp vs 7 amp. I should be able to swap that out, right?

The only other difference (from the schematic) is J1-3 on the rectifier for the 16B-3 is listed as SPARE, while on 16B-6 it's listed as FEATURE LAMP BUS. That's an easy modification if needed.

#1656 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh year, one more item you will need that is not on your Dracula. Quicksilver uses one 3-place drop target assembly. It also uses a 4-place drop target assembly. AFAIK, QS is the only classic Stern to use a 4 -place drop assembly. I could be wrong, but I think you will have to get creative.

Dracula has a 3 bank drop target, and 4 bank drop target. So no issue there.

I've compared the features of the games side-by-side, and Dracula is just short some stand up targets (but has extra rollovers), so it all evens out.

I think the toughest item to get will be the ball guides. Anyone have those remade?

#1657 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

It's beautiful!

Thanks. Took a bit of a gamble as I never ever seen one let alone play one, but the gamble paid off.

#1658 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

That is a beautiful Dragonfist ! Is that the original back glass or a BG Resto repro?
===============================

EDIT: When I bought my Dragonfist 3 years ago I was number 13 on the pinside owners list. Now there are 22 Dragonfist owners listed. You have entered this list and I know of one other D-fist in a collection that is private. That makes 24 accounted for on Pinside.

Pinball Owners shows 9 D-fist owners but 2 owners are also listed on Pinside. That would add 7 to the count.

So, possibly 33 of these can be accounted for. That's 10% of the 302 units produced. There has to be some more out in the wild, I would think.

#1659 4 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

I think the toughest item to get will be the ball guides. Anyone have those remade?

I know Redketchup made his own guides for his Star Gazer project. So, it can be done. While I bought those guides that were being made for SG, for QS I am going to make my own. But it will take some sheet metal skills to make it happen.

#1660 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I know Redketchup made his own guides for his Star Gazer project. So, it can be done. While I bought those guides that were being made for SG, for QS I am going to make my own. But it will take some sheet metal skills to make it happen.

That may end up being the path I take. I'd much rather purchase a set, but I can make them if needed.

Well, once I finally get my stuff organized, I'll make sure to start a thread on the transformation.

#1661 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Galaxy is gone now. I didn't like the game. The bonus count is just stupid on it. Should increment by 1K not 10K or whatever it is.

I'm not a huge fan of Galaxy either, but I have to say the game is a lot of fun when you can't tear it up via bonus. When the game makes you work hard and a "good" score is 400K, that's when it's fun.

#1662 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I'm not a huge fan of Galaxy either, but I have to say the game is a lot of fun when you can't tear it up via bonus. When the game makes you work hard and a "good" score is 400K, that's when it's fun.

I wanted to like it, considering how much time I put into it, and really like the artwork. The spinner shot is cool too. But, I just couldn't get into it. Much like Wild Fyre. I can't get into that, but it's mainly because of the wretched sound! Layout is oddly familiar, wouldn't you say?

#1663 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

I wanted to like it, considering how much time I put into it, and really like the artwork. The spinner shot is cool too. But, I just couldn't get into it. Much like Wild Fyre. I can't get into that, but it's mainly because of the wretched sound! Layout is oddly familiar, wouldn't you say?

I'm hoping I don't run into the same problem with Freefall. I've never played the game before so I have no point of reference, but the reviews I've seen are mediocre. Cool game and I want to like it so I'm going to have to work hard to make it a great player.

Wild Fyre does have a very familiar layout.

#1664 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I'm hoping I don't run into the same problem with Freefall. I've never played the game before so I have no point of reference, but the reviews I've seen are mediocre. Cool game and I want to like it so I'm going to have to work hard to make it a great player.
Wild Fyre does have a very familiar layout.

Had Freefall briefly (repaired and top shopped it), and did not care for it. My two complaints were: 1) Not a direct shot to the skyway ball walker. This was tolerable, but 2 wasn't. 2) If a ball would jump off the ball walker, the game would completely lose its mind! It had no way to compensate for this happening, and would remain screwed up the rest of the game for a single or multiple players.

The guy who bought it, is into classic Sterns also, and loves it. So, take this for what it's worth. You may be able to get a better adjustment out of the ball walker to keep this from happening.

I just looked at the pic of the game on the IPDB. IIRC, the main problem with the ball walker was that there was only one switch at the entrance (top). A second and / or third switch on the walker would probably help out, or maybe you can get Mr. Charles to rework the code.

#1665 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That is a beautiful Dragonfist ! Is that the original back glass or a BG Resto repro?
===============================

That BG is a BG Repo, but I was able to source an original with only very minor imperfections (few scratches). I was struggling with whether to keep the repo in and store the original, or vice versa? What do you think?

#1666 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

That BG is a BG Repo, but I was able to source an original with only very minor imperfections (few scratches). I was struggling with whether to keep the repo in and store the original, or vice versa? What do you think?

I have a BG Resto in mine, as well. Lighting is an area that I have not yet tackled on mine. I was afraid it was going to be too dark but yours looks great in your pic. What kind of lighting are you using to light it up?

#1667 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I agree! Set mine up to be as difficult as I could and it is fun when you have to work to get around 400k.

#1668 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Had Freefall briefly (repaired and top shopped it), and did not care for it. My two complaints were: 1) Not a direct shot to the skyway ball walker. This was tolerable, but 2 wasn't. 2) If a ball would jump off the ball walker, the game would completely lose its mind! It had no way to compensate for this happening, and would remain screwed up the rest of the game for a single or multiple players.
The guy who bought it, is into classic Sterns also, and loves it. So, take this for what it's worth. You may be able to get a better adjustment out of the ball walker to keep this from happening.
I just looked at the pic of the game on the IPDB. IIRC, the main problem with the ball walker was that there was only one switch at the entrance (top). A second and / or third switch on the walker would probably help out, or maybe you can get Mr. Charles to rework the code.

I fixed the problem with a bent clear piece of plastic that covered the top walker switch...
It would stop the ball hop and break the speed of the ball at the same time.

#1669 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I fixed the problem with a bent clear piece of plastic that covered the top walker switch...

Any pics of this. I cant visualize this.

#1670 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Nice. I'll save that little tidbit for my restoration. Planning to bring it to TPF 2020.

#1671 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I cant visualize this.

Picture a straightened-up "Z". Two truss head wood screws to hold the flat base...
Then straight up and bent over at a right angle. It's about 2" wide.

#1672 4 years ago

Tractor Doc has been working up a selection of decals that will help when you want to spiff up one of your classic Sterns. We have been doing a little business together and Doc has sent me these decals for some of my projects. I have sent him my Big Game spinners and he is working up decals for those, too.

I also have used a set of his Number 1 thru 9 decals to do my Big Game drop targets. They are nice. The font was a perfect match.

This stuff is nice to have for the hobby.

IMG_1188 (resized).JPGIMG_1188 (resized).JPG

#1673 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Pinball Owners shows 9 D-fist owners but 2 owners are also listed on Pinside. That would add 7 to the count.

Just out of curiosity how do you know only 2 of 9 are also on Pinside?

#1674 4 years ago
Quoted from Pingball:

Just out of curiosity how do you know only 2 of 9 are also on Pinside?

Well, first off, I did not say there were only two. I said 2 of the 9 were also listed on pinside. You added the word "only".

Of the 9 on Pinball Owners only 2 owners show up in both places. So I can add only 7 to the pinside counts. I don't know about the other 7 other than Pinball Owners is the only place they show up. If any of them show up and fess up to being pinsiders then the numbers can be changed.

#1675 4 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Center post rubber is in because pulling a Kirk post is blasphemy.

That's funny, the exact reason I left mine in. My meteor is set to around 6.5 or 6.7... I don't remember. Like mentioned all the drops kill the side to side.
I'm just about finished with a rebuild of stars, so I can get it out and I think somewhere btwn. 5.5 and 6 would be better for that one. Kind of want to take the outlane posts out, but thinking the game is pretty tough as is.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1676 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Very good!

#1677 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Tractor Doc has been working up a selection of decals that will help when you want to spiff up one of your classic Sterns. We have been doing a little business together and Doc has sent me these decals for some of my projects. I have sent him my Big Game spinners and he is working up decals for those, too.
I also have used a set of his Number 1 thru 9 decals to do my Big Game drop targets. They are nice. The font was a perfect match.
[quoted image]

These are great!

I ordered a set of spinner decals from TractorDoc and they are very nice. Also his customer service is outstanding.

Highly recommended!

#1678 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Quoted from chubtoad13:

These are great!

I appreciate the feedback. I've had the decal number/letter drops in my Meteor along with decal spinners in Meteor and Nine Ball and after "significant" playing time they have held up very well. If you are reluctant to cover your original spinner art with a decal you can order a new, blank spinner from PBR -- you just have to paint the edges to your liking.

5J5A9793 (resized).JPG5J5A9793 (resized).JPG

5J5A9795 (resized).JPG5J5A9795 (resized).JPG

5J5A0064 (resized).JPG5J5A0064 (resized).JPG

IMG_7889 (resized).JPGIMG_7889 (resized).JPG

#1679 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, first off, I did not say there were only two. I said 2 of the 9 were also listed on pinside. You added the word "only".
Of the 9 on Pinball Owners only 2 owners show up in both places. So I can add only 7 to the pinside counts. I don't know about the other 7 other than Pinball Owners is the only place they show up. If any of them show up and fess up to being pinsiders then the numbers can be changed.

So based off user name and location? Not sure if I made your count.

#1680 4 years ago
Quoted from Pingball:

So based off user name and location? Not sure if I made your count.

Pinside shows there are 22 Dragonfist owners. You are listed as an owner. You are one of the 22 on pinside. You have been counted.

Here are the owners listed on Pinball Owners. There are 9 owners.

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 11.45.55 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-04 at 11.45.55 AM (resized).png

Here is the pinside owner list. There are 22 owners. Two of these owners are also listed at Pinball Owners. You can't count them twice.

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 11.46.28 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-04 at 11.46.28 AM (resized).png

Methos has not yet entered Dragonfist into his collection so he will be #23. And I know of another DF but the owner is set to private. He would be #24.

Add (9 + 24 = 33) - 2 =31. I forget to remove the 2 in my earlier calculation.

So 31 can be accounted for between pinside and pinball owners. Of this 31, Magic789 lives in Australia. Drano lives in Canada. And you live in Canada. I used to know of one that lived in Europe but don't know where it has gone to. One sold recently in Utah but I have no idea whee it went.

So far, not too many Dragonfists are showing up.

#1681 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

not too many Dragonfists are showing up

I believe that The Pinball Museum as a Stern Dragonfist on display.

#1682 4 years ago

I see 4 pinsiders on pinball owners:

chadtower
easyede
fanofpinball
gizmonic

#1683 4 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

I appreciate the feedback. I've had the decal number/letter drops in my Meteor along with decal spinners in Meteor and Nine Ball and after "significant" playing time they have held up very well.

Kind of wish I did the decals to begin with, I went the hot stamped repro route. I even coated it with poly, but somewhere around 2000ish plays the numbers are starting to wear off. Gonna try your decals on the next one, Wanted to get them for stars but you were out of the red star decals .

#1684 4 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Wanted to get them for stars but you were out of the red star decals

G--

We've done enough business back and forth pinball wise -- I'll try to get you a set of blue/red stars out this week.

Can talk via PM if there is anything else you need.

#1685 4 years ago

uh ohhhh ... I'm seein' Stars!?

Stern_Stars_20190603_123953 (resized).jpgStern_Stars_20190603_123953 (resized).jpg
#1687 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I see 4 pinsiders on pinball owners:
chadtower
easyede
fanofpinball
gizmonic

Crap. i'm going blind. Maybe I should chance my name to Tommy

New count =29 Add the unit Vec-tor pointed out = 30.

#1688 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Crap. i'm going blind. Maybe I should chance my name to Tommy
New count =29 Add the unit Vec-tor pointed out = 30.

I have one not listed anywhere. Too busy shopping and setting up games to keep my list up to date.

AD5EF0E7-D769-48DC-8F70-F9A87049FBF8 (resized).jpegAD5EF0E7-D769-48DC-8F70-F9A87049FBF8 (resized).jpeg
#1689 4 years ago

There is one on location at Add-A-Ball in Seattle...

#1690 4 years ago

Public Service request: Shawn at Third Coast Pinball is in need of a blown out Quicksilver play field that he can use as a template to make a wiring jig so he can make us some QS play field wire harnesses.

I provided him with a template for making Seawitch harnesses and that is what he has been doing.

I have a QS play field wire harness that he might have to use a pattern but a play field would be better.

If anybody can help him out then please let him know. Here is his website and how to contact him.

https://www.thirdcoastpinballandgraphics.com/

#1691 4 years ago

Anyone interested in some NOS Stern flipper plates? These are the 1st gen, flat ones. Price is $8 ea. plus S/H. Figure on about $7.50 S/H, as they should fit into a small flat rate box.

Jim

#1692 4 years ago

Folks - I have a problem. All I can think about are classic Sterns and they are the only games I want to play. I'm freaking out. What should I do?!

#1693 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

Folks - I have a problem. All I can think about are classic Sterns and they are the only games I want to play. I'm freaking out. What should I do?!

Out of sight, out of mind. I'll see you tomorrow; make sure the truck parking is available.

#1694 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

Make some offers I can’t refuse

#1695 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Make some offers I can’t refuse

PM sent!

#1696 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Anyone interested in some NOS Stern flipper plates? These are the 1st gen, flat ones. Price is $8 ea. plus S/H. Figure on about $7.50 S/H, as they should fit into a small flat rate box.
Jim

Flipper plates are all gone. Thanks for everyone's interest!

Jim

#1697 4 years ago

hello in the round.
I would like to introduce myself.
I founded a pinball club 5 years ago. Electric Friends in Lemgo, Germany.
This club is a nonprofit association. Everyone can come to play there.
There is a part of my collection available to the public.
For 2 years I try to paint my Dragonfist playing field.
However, I fail. The wood does not absorb the color. It seems to be a kind of oil in the wood. Has anyone of you members ever had a similar problem?
Or where can I be helped here in the forum.

Ergun

#1698 4 years ago

Who got the 1300 nine ball from FB?

5BAD995F-C5B3-428A-A4EC-C4EDAD8E70B1 (resized).png5BAD995F-C5B3-428A-A4EC-C4EDAD8E70B1 (resized).png
#1699 4 years ago
Quoted from EasyEde:

For 2 years I try to paint my Dragonfist playing field.
However, I fail. The wood does not absorb the color. It seems to be a kind of oil in the wood. Has anyone of you members ever had a similar problem?
Or where can I be helped here in the forum.

Try this topic:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#1700 4 years ago

Here’s my mini stern lineup.

I came home to my wife and daughter playing stingray by themselves yesterday. It blew me away because they only reluctantly play pinball.

They both said they like the older ones better. Their favorites are stingray, stars, and F2k. In that order.

E895ED4F-C6DA-4710-8129-C7CB807BDD73 (resized).jpegE895ED4F-C6DA-4710-8129-C7CB807BDD73 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
$ 169.00
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.