20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

1,811 posts in this topic match your search for posts by cottonm4. You are on page 2 of 8.
#1899 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah these are the coin door trim pieces. You can see what I started with here, a real mess. So it looks likeit's peeling off like a paint layer, but it literally is stuck on and pulls like tape; Weird! The color looks more like a bally Flat iron than the hammered silver.
It's looking like a full wire brush and then repaint to me?
EDIT: This is after a 24 hour evaparust soak
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Someone could have repainted them in another life.

I have a power oscillating tool and sanded all of my door parts down to bare metal and hit them immediately with the hammertone paint. You could probably use paint stripper and then hand sand. THe hammertone paint is very forgiving so you don't have to be too fussy with your sandpaper. 60 grit sandpaper will cut the paint good and leave a good paintable surface.

https://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multi-tool-62279.html?cid=paid_google|*PLA+-+All+Products|All+Products|62279&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=sKE0GgBvZ|pcrid|327822404853|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|slid||product|62279|&pgrid=71439424048&ptaid=pla-296227499965&pcid=1688396772&intent=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-5yVqNfS4wIVBNbACh0zTgdJEAQYAyABEgLApPD_BwE

https://www.harborfreight.com/60-grit-multi-tool-triangle-sandpaper-6-pc-for-wood-61315.html

(You can get some of these tile sanding tools at HF, as well. But Amazon has better pics.).

https://www.amazon.com/XXGO-Universal-Semicircle-Triangular-Oscillating/dp/B06XW84KW1/ref=sr_1_4

#1904 4 years ago
Quoted from mappy_mouse:

Is there a possibility the back glass is a repro of some sort or has been restored at some stage in its life and they overlooked it in the process, Just a stab in the dark thought, but a really nice backglass you have there.

This back glass looks original as some other originals I have seen here.

AFAIK, BG Resto is the only shop making repro QS back glasses. And BG Resto has a different process and look.

#1909 4 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

Picked up a Dracula in pretty rough condition recently. Looks like i'll need to replace the lockdown bar receiver.
What's the best way to source this part?

Stern made two styles of lockdown bar receiver assemblies. The early ones, like Dracula, may or may not have the ball and socket type of receiver. The later Sterns replaced the ball and socket with a slotted type of receiver.

If you have a slotted type of lockdown bar, you may be in luck.

Stern/Data East used the same style of lockdown bars as found on the classic Sterns form Ali and on. My DE Robocop lockdown bar will fit on all of my Sterns.

If you have the slotted style of lockdown bar this receiver should work OK.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6881-00

This is a DE lock bar that works with that receiver. I don't know if this is wide body or not. Pay attention.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-5757-00

Pinball Life also has the slotted receiver.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-front-molding-lockdown-bar-receiver-assembly.html

If you do have the ball and socket type of lockdown bar and do not wish to change and if you really want a ball and socket receiver, your best way to source this part is put up WTB ads, or watch Ebay. Be caeful with Ebay; Lots of sellers will not know the difference.

Or in general, just get ready to beg.

#1914 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Wow this is an awesome help, I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to find a Stern widebody lockdown bar and receiver. Orbitor was their last game so you’re saying a Data East one may work?

All Sterns from Ali and on used either the narrow body or wide body lockdown bar. Both styles of bars have the same part number for the part that is spot welded to the underside of the lock down bar. So, if you want to get nutty you can lock any Stern wide body bar you have onto a narrow body cab since they both have the common receiver part spotted on.

Both Stern style bars lock onto to my Data East Robocop. And my Robo bar fits all of my narrow body Sterns.

It makes sense. Chicago Coin morphed into Stern Electronics which morphed into Data East.

Gary Stern wisely kept his Stern tooling and passed it to his new DE company.

So I’m guessing real strongly that the DE wide body lock bar will lock down onto your Orbitor.

But is a guess. So if it does not work you are on your own.

#1917 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:I’m talking about the actual piece that accepts the lockdown bar. The metal part of the cab with the latch is the receiver, yes? The lockdown bar with the tabs beneath it go into the slots on the lockdown bar receiver and you secure that with the lever, or whatever Stern’s had. I need both the bar and the metal receiver that attaches inside the cab above the coindoor

I understand. You are wanting the lockdown receiver. It is in the back in this pic. The two Stern bars for narrow and wide both have the same part number for the copper colored bar receiver. The black lockdown bar is the very same as the Stern narrow body with different part numbers.

All 3 of these bars are interchangeable. Other than you are not going to place a narrow body bar on wide body cab.

IMG_1628 (resized).JPGIMG_1628 (resized).JPG

Call Pinball Life and ask if the 500-5757-00 wide body lockdown bar will fit into the 500-6881-00 receiver. If they say it will fit then your search is over.

https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsega-widebody-front-molding-black.html

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 5.44.09 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-01 at 5.44.09 PM (resized).png

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-front-molding-lockdown-bar-receiver-assembly.html

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 5.30.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-01 at 5.30.47 PM (resized).png

#1920 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Craig are you saying that the receiver is the same for both wide and standard cabinets
If that lockdown bar will fit he should buy the receiver from pinball life, and buy the lockdown bar for $70 from jt amuse instead of paying pinball life $99.
http://jtamusements.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4_23&products_id=17

Yes, the receiver is the same on all Sterns from Ali and all that follow.

My Hot Hand had the slotted bar and receiver, as well. But my Dracula had the ball and socket setup. I don't know when Stern made the change.

The copper bar receiver/locker (I don't know what it is called) has the same Stern 1C-707 for both Stern narrow bodies and wide bodies. Stern did not have the tooling to make a wide body lockdown bar; Instead, two narrow body bars were cut in half (well, not exactly half) and the left and right halves were spot welded to 1C-707 copper unit.

And the JT bar for $30.00 less is same part number as PL unit. Good call.

#1921 4 years ago

Okay, I appreciate the clarification, and I hope it didn’t seem like I was coming off as condescending! I was trying to be as concise as possible since I wasn’t terribly sure myself if that’s what everyone else calls it. I appreciate the help very very much and I will buy that lockdown receiver from PBL if they verify it fits.

Don't worry about it. Even sitting across the bench from someone and showing all of the above is confusing when you see it for the first time. I didn't fall of off the turnip truck knowing this stuff. It was a slow process. Some things are just confusing to try and describe accurately and not leave the reader crossed eyes trying to figure out what was being said.

I figured out the receiver part 3 years ago when Game Room Collectables was selling a Data East receiver on Ebay. It looked like it might work so I called GRC and asked if it would fit on a classic Stern. GRC happened to have a Stern on the floor so the guy who answered the phone grabbed the Stern lock down bar and confirmed that there was a match.

And then when I got my DE Robocop I started mixing and matching to see what worked.

What I don't know is if the DE lockdown bar, which is painted black, can be stripped of the black paint and polished to a high shine like the unpainted lockdown bars. I don't know, since the bars are painted, if a cheaper metal was used. I just don't know. You may forever be stuck with black or you will have to spend the big bucks and go for some chrome plating.

#1926 4 years ago

Did this get sorted out?? I have a Stern M-100 rectifier and transformer and I’m trying to figure out how to wire a new line cord into it and I don’t know how nor do I see anything on pinwiki about it.
I’ve been told they’re interchangeable between M-100 and M-200 so any help would be appreciated. If they are truly not interchangeable I’d swap my M-100 for anyone’s M-200.
Thanks!
Also do I need to use the EMI filter?

I don't know about the rectifier boards. The MPU-100 pins used the 16B-3 transformer. The MPU-200 pins used the 16B-6 Transformer. The Weebly rectifier boards will work with both 100s and 200s.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1055-nvramweeblycom/01123--new-bally-stern-rectifier-board-as-2518-18-ta-100

The line/power cord wires into a varistor located in the cab under the back box. And then the varistor wiring travels to the tllt board on the left side below the left flipper and feeds power to the onboard plug in receptacle. From there, the wiring travels across to the multi-pole on-off switch and then back to the J-2 connector on the rectifier board.

I may have that cabinet wiring harness with the varistor and on-off switch attached. Not sure. I'd have to look around.

#1935 4 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Fat solid wire and thinner striped per the instructions, that's what I did. If yours is working with LEDs do you mind snapping a pic? Maybe I have a bad board?

I’ll be back home couple of days. Can get you a pic then.

#1938 4 years ago

Ali pin now for sale on EBay. One hour left on the auction.

Seller has zero feedback and says it will ship via USPS for $11.20.

If you are the bidder then be careful before you send any money.

I sent this seller an EBay contact telling him he has zero feedback and that his ship terms are ridiculous just so there is a trail for EBay to follow.

#1944 4 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

I put leds in my inserts on my nine ball, hooked up the altek led driver board and attached the wire from the led board to a control lamp but I still am getting flicker? Compared it to my lightning with leds and I don’t think I I did anything wrong. Anyone have a similar issue? If someone had one that is working with leds can you advise as to where you hooked up the wire from the led board. Thank you

Question: What MPU are you using? Are you using the original Stern MPU? Or are using an Alltek MPU along with your Alltek Lamp board?

If you are using the Alltek MPU you must move the 2 pin jumpers to two left pins. The boards ship with the Bally configuration of jumpering the 2 right hand pins.

If you are still in Bally configuration you will have flickering issues.

It is an easy item to overlook; ask me how I know.

Better yet, ask the retailer I bought one of my Sterns from how they managed to send me this pinball machine with a new Alltek MPU still up up to Bally settings.

#1945 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Doesn’t the Alltek board have a switch to choose led or incandescent? Do you have incandescent in some sockets and less in others? Could that be an issue?

The Alltek lamp board comes with a jumper post and some jumper wire to connect to the controlled lighting the back box.

It is a good question. That jump wire has to be connected to the correct side of the controlled lighting.

The MPU has the two jumpers that control pinball machine behavior. And a side effect of incorrect jumpering can/will cause LED flickering.

#1951 4 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Understood, but it is only one row of lamps, the others are fine. Any other suggestions?

Ok, you did not say that you installed the 555 lamp boards from pinball replacement parts so I assume you still have original factory metal plates with the #44 bulb sockets in your Nine Ball.

Those metal plates get to be a pain with lousy connections. Could some of your sockets be corroding at those metal plates and be the problem?

If you have not installed a set of these I highly recommend you consider them.

https://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/stern-nine-ball-complete-set-of-boards-to-replace-metal-panel-sockets

#1954 4 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Wow! Thanks will try the above mentioned resistors first and if that does not work than I will buy this. Thank you and all others who have chimed in.

If you do buy these boards you will also need to buy the black twist in sockets.

1 week later
#1996 4 years ago
Quoted from Deltron:

Anyone know how many Meteors were made with countersunk coin doors vs not or which one is more common? I have five Meteors now, three countersunk and two not. I also noticed the corners of the cabs are cut different based on coin door.[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from vec-tor:

Check serial numbers... I believe that the counter sink games should be the earlier design.
( leftover cabinets from the E.M. games ) Chicago Coin Dynamics.

My Dracula cabinet, my Hot Hand cabinet, and my Meteor cabinet all have the the sunken doors. I don't know about Magic which was the last MPU-100 Stern produced.

I agree with vec-tor that this was a carry over from Chicago Coin cabinets. Eliminating the the sunken door design was about cutting unnecessary production costs. A sunken door will not make a pin play any better and nobody at the bar would notice, anyway

#2004 4 years ago

Bad news, Mike confirmed that the Data East/Sega lockdown does NOT fit, and that the new Stern Receiver will NOT accommodate the old Stern lockdown.
However he just happened to have an Orbitor 1 Lockdown Bar! So it’s a win, just gotta locate a Classic Stern receiver still, none of the usual suspects, I’ve been suggested by helpful Pinsiders, have them. They’re extremely elusive.

I do not completely understand. Pinball Life sells DE lockdown bars. And they don't have any receivers to fit the DE bars they sell? I'm glad you scored yourself a Big Game--Orbitor 1 lockdown bar. And none of the receivers they had will fit?

On the left is my Nine Ball bar receiver. One the right in my Data East Robocop bar receiver. They are the same.

BTW, From Ali and on, Stern produced two lockdown bars. One bar is for the narrow body pins such as Seawitch, Quicksilver, etc. And there is the wide body lockdown bar for Big Game, Cheetah, Freefall, and I feel safe in saying Orbitor 1 will use the same lockdown bar.

Pinball Life is selling DE widebody lock bars and narrow body bars. I would think that one of the receivers Pinball Life sells would fit the DE bars that are selling. But who knows?

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 4.19.40 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-13 at 4.19.40 PM (resized).png IMG_1726 (resized).JPGIMG_1726 (resized).JPG

This is my Nine Ball lockdown bar mounted to DE Robocop.

IMG_1728 (resized).JPGIMG_1728 (resized).JPG

This is my DE Robocop lockdown bar mounted to Nine Ball.
IMG_1729 (resized).JPGIMG_1729 (resized).JPG

This is my Big Game lockdown bar mounted to Robocop.

IMG_1731 (resized).JPGIMG_1731 (resized).JPGIMG_1732 (resized).JPGIMG_1732 (resized).JPG

These all cross fit.

#2039 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Mirco and quality dont exactly go together. They have major issues with clear coat chipping. Most jjp potc are rippling and chipping around posts and now Wonka is doing the same thing.
Mirco is crap hope someone else makes them.

I have been reading those threads related to play fields rippling along with the paint pulling away from the play field.

My unqualified opinion is the rippling is caused by rushing the play fields into production before the clear has had enough time to fully cure.

The play field i cleared needed several months to obtain a complete cure.

I don’t know about the chipping that was being discussed in those threads but some pictures showed clear that was very thick with too many coats applied.

My thoughts are if you buy a Quicksilver play field and let it cure for a few months you probably will not have any issues.

I could be wrong, but if you can not make indent in the clear with your fingernail you should be OK.

#2042 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I also have an older screen printed Funhouse from Mirco. Besides the typical dimples it looks fantastic. I have little confidence that my new Quicksilver will age the same. Scratches with light finger touch is very disappointing

Polyurethane is scratch resistant. Not scratch proof. It is still a fairly new play field. Let it cure for a few months, if you can. Plus, all of that dark green is going to make it a little difficult to hide everything.

#2047 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Anyone out there have a lockdown bar they can sell that will fit a Seawitch?

You will have to live with black but it will fit.

https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-black-front-molding-lockdown-bar-no-tournament-button-hole.html

#2056 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Where is everyone buying flipper rebuild kits from? It seems the kits i bought from pinball life for my Seawitch 4-5 years ago are already starting to wear out. I began noticing at some point the flippers weren't moving back to their resting position sometimes. After trying a bunch of stuff, i swapped over the flipper mechs from my Nine Ball and that fixed the problem. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience with pinball life flipper rebuilds for these games, but it seems like a fairly short life span for the parts. Maybe that's par for the course these days, though.

Coil Stops and plungers are about the only items that can wear out. Plungers take a lot of impact; They are going to mushroom at the tip and my opinion is that the shaft diameter can get larger by teeny tiny amounts, too. They are not the hardest of metals. Coil stops also take a lot of impact. You can file them down but it changes flipper travel.

It sounds like you have been playing your Seawitch a lot.

#2059 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Oh, it's not for sale. It's on my personal Seawitch.[quoted image]

That blue does not look bad. I am a bling type guy but that blue ain't looking bad at all.

#2077 4 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

ahh yes. i was simplifying my description but i was thinking of using the 1" faceted posts with a washer (1-1/16" total) across the board and using whatever shorter spacer height is needed so the other posts sit under the plastics.
From what i can tell there is clearance enough with the non-negotiable top-of-playfield stuff like the slingshots, drop targets, and stand-up targets.
Or maybe I'm just being silly and I should go original. In general i like the plastics lower because then there are less "bare bulb in eye" moments.

I went with the shorter posts on one of my Sterns. I have not had any issues at all.

#2094 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I have a Nugent in storage that is missing the lockdown bar receiver. There is a local collector offering a free receiver, and thinks it’s for early classic Sterns but isn’t sure. Before I do the three hour round trip can someone confirm that the receiver in the picture will work in my Nugent? Thanks[quoted image]

That is not a Stern receiver. The locking lever looks like Gottlieb wedge head to me.

#2098 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Still battling airballs from my seawitch center drop bank. I put it new drops and a new rubber and it still occasionally flies up. Looking at this is the rubber at about the appropriate level? Just higher than the center of the ball? Should I try mounting the drops farther back so there's less space between them and the rubber? There isn't a lot of play in the mechs or the posts but I can try to justify them together as much as the screw holes allow. The drops are about exactly level with the PF.[quoted image][quoted image]

Don't move your drops. You don't have that much room; Too far back and they might not drop at all.

Get 4 of the shorter posts ( there is room for the shorter posts) ; get a piece of .020 poly/Lexan and make a deflector plate that kicks out about 1.5 to 2 inches.

It is almost like your flipper is too strong.

#2101 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You get airballs from the lower flippers or the upper left one? The upper left one is supposed to have a resistor to drop its strength way down - and cause a nice burn mark under the playfield. Much better way to reduce its power is to have the end of stroke switch open up WAY earlier.
I don't get the crazy airballs on mine that people see to get necessitating the protector on the plastic behind the flipper. I think ONCE a ball went up there in over 15 years of ownership??

I don’t get air balls in my Seawitch. I get/got air balls on my Robocop and made a deflector as I described for you.

And then I got an aftermarket flipper board for Robo and it has less flipper power and the air balls went away.

So, which flipper is giving you air balls?

#2105 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

It seems about 50/50 with some seawitches airballing and some not. Mine has landed on top of the upper left flipper but it always rolls off. I think I have the taller posts under that plastic right behind.

Mine has the short posts and the plastic rests directly on the orbit guide to keep light leaks from happening. The top of the plastic at the upper left flipper measures 7/8" below the edge of the cabinet and 1 1/4" below the top of the stainless cabinet rail. The taller posts are probably why you don't have the ball landing on top of the plastic. Do you have light leaks around your plastic?

Quoted from slochar:

The other thing that might be a factor is my game has the angle aluminum playfield stiffeners on it - pretty sure not all stern games got those. This causes the PF to sit a hair higher in the cabinet (assuming the rails in the cab are the same between all games) - so maybe that's JUST enough that the ball just doesn't fit on top of the plastic.

The stiffener will have no effect on how the play field sits in the cabinet. It sits inside the play field support "Z" brackets.

#2111 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Mine has the short posts and the plastic rests directly on the orbit guide to keep light leaks from happening. The top of the plastic at the upper left flipper measures 7/8" below the edge of the cabinet and 1 1/4" below the top of the stainless cabinet rail. The taller posts are probably why you don't have the ball landing on top of the plastic. Do you have light leaks around your plastic?

Quoted from slochar:

I never really thought about light leaks I'm tall so the angle is going to be different anyway. There's no blinding going on if that's what you mean.

No. When the short posts are used, the plastic sits down right on top of the orbit guide. Both the left upper flipper plastic and the arch plastic sit at the same level and block most light from leaking through. With this setup you are going to have issues with the ball climbing over the top of the upper leff flipper. Long posts would solved the ball problem but your plastics will not be on the same level.

IMG_1822 (resized).JPGIMG_1822 (resized).JPG

Quoted from cottonm4:

The stiffener will have no effect on how the play field sits in the cabinet. It sits inside the play field support "Z" brackets.

Quoted from slochar:

Sure it does - there's rails on the side that the sides of the PF normally sit directly on. Add a piece of metal to that junction and it's going to raise the PF up that much. The Playfield hanger brackets will still be the same profile either way, assuming you mean the ones in the front. Does your game not have the full length wood rails on the cabinet? If it had some kind of metal offset bracket I could see the stiffener not mattering, but that's not the case in mine.

Let's make sure we are not talking past each other.

You are talking about this support rail, correct?

IMG_1821 (resized).JPGIMG_1821 (resized).JPG

If I am correct and we are talking about the same stiffener rail, it sits inside of the the "Z" brackets/play field support brackets and will not alter how the play field sits inside the cab.

If you have something different than this, what is your setup?

IMG_1816 (resized).JPGIMG_1816 (resized).JPG

IMG_1819 (resized).JPGIMG_1819 (resized).JPG

#2113 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Chalkey was the one getting airballs, not me. I'm just describing to him what might be different between the games.
The tall posts make the plastic sit up a hair above the metal guide; so what? Light leakage is minimal. Doesn't matter anyway because the profile of the guide doesn't match the plastic anyway.

So what? Relax. I was not trying to turn this into a competition. Just offering my opinion, which agrees with yours, that the taller posts probably prevent the ball from rolling on top of the plastic.

Quoted from slochar:

The part that sits higher with a stiffener vs. not is the wood rail part in the back, not the bracket in the front.

I do not understand what you are speaking of? What wood rail in the back? Which Stern cabinet are you looking at?

#2116 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You don't have wood rails at the side back of your seawitch so you can slide the playfield up and rest it up against the head?

Yes, I have those wood rails to prop the play field up against the back box. But those wood rails have no determination with how the play field sits in the the cab in playing position.

From Meteor and all classic Sterns that followed, the play fields are all supported with four "Z" brackets. One Z bracket in each corner. Those brackets are all at the same height. You can shove a Meteor play field into a Dragonfist cabinet and it is going to sit the same (unless the factory made a screw up---which would not surprise me).

This is Nine Ball. Left hand side. Two Z brackets support the play field. The right hand side is a mirror image.

But you got me to checking some things. My Nine Ball and Dragonfist both sit 1/8" lower from the top edge of the cabinet than my Seawitch does. So, I'm thinking I could lower the "Z" brackets in my Seawitch by 1/8" and any balls that fly up on top of the plastic would now have enough clearance to just roll off. The Beatles pin, with its higher, more slanted play field glass has balls that fly backwards over that flipper but with the glass so much higher than Seawitch, the ball just rolls off.

It does not help Chalky's air ball problems but I'm thinking I may lower my Witch play field 1/8" to counter the ball wedging between the plastic and the glass.

IMG_1838 (resized).JPGIMG_1838 (resized).JPG

#2124 4 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Are Bally electronic lock bar same fit for Seawitch?

The Bally will not fit the Stern receiver.

#2130 4 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Any classic Stern guys know the tab depth & width.

The tabs measure 17 inches fr0m 0utside edge t0 0utside edge,

They are 1 inch wide,

They are 1 5/16" deep

The smaii cut is ,070 deep and measures ,180 wide and is ,40 i0ng

[My keyb0ard has g0ne 0n the fritz, S0 Ihave s0me crappy puntuati0n and iettering, ),

Repiacment keyb0ard has been b0ught and has shipped

IMG_1839 (resized).JPGIMG_1839 (resized).JPG

IMG_1841 (resized).JPGIMG_1841 (resized).JPGIMG_1857 (resized).JPGIMG_1857 (resized).JPG

#2135 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Thanks
Shipping to Australia adds so much cost! And our exchange rate is totally stuffed. Its about $300 AUD delivered. So if I can save $200 of that then Im looking into it. I will post some pics when its done.
Its all good, someone said they will help me so I think im good if he follows through

What I can't figure 0ut is why it c0sts s0 much t0 ship between the US and Australia and Canada but yet when I buy s0me cheap item fr0m Ebay and it ships in fr0m China the shipping is super cheap,

#2139 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Someone get this poor soul a keyboard.

Replacement keyboard has been ordered last week. Supposed to ship tomorrow.

#2151 4 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

What’s the agreed upon number of classic sterns? Disregarding prototypes

Quoted from TheLaw:

Huh, good question.
26 by my count? That's not including 3 EMs.

From Meteor to Orbitor = 18
(Cue is not counted)

From Pinball to Magic = 12

(Cosmic Princess is counted)

Total = 30.

So, 27 (without counting the 3 EMs.)

#2153 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh never seen that

I believe Cosmic Princess is in Australia only for a few more than 100 units.

#2159 4 years ago

This is a site I stumbled onto 3-4 years ago. I assumed it has every Stern Electronics pin from 1977 to 1982 listed with a small play field pic.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~lantra9jp1_nbn/gurudumps/Pinball_Manuals/stern.html

#2162 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

The inlane ball guide on both my Stars and Stingray pop out at the top on occasion. Does anyone have a good fix for this? It only happens on the left. Both right guides seem like they are solid.

Find the ball guide hole on the bottom side of the play field. Seal it with some tape--any kind of tape.

Get the ball guide out of your way.

Protect your play field from glue drips.

Get some thin bodied medium setting super glue.

Start filling the guide hole with super glue. Fill to almost the top. Let it sit for 24 hours.

Get the proper size drill bit and drill out the excess glue.

Reinstall your guide.

#2183 4 years ago

Dead Dragonfist:

I have been having some spirited sessions with Dragonfist for the last few days. This morning, the good times ended. During mid-ball, the pin just froze up. I can turn it off and then turn it back on and it is still frozen. It does not reset. It does nothing but light back up with the same play field lights frozen and a blank back box.

I have not started trouble shooting this yet. I thought I would plumb for ideas before I start looking around.

Is it something simple? I don't know yet.

Have I blown a fuse? I don't know.

Has a connector pin gone bad and folded up? I don't know.

Has something gone bad on a board? I don't know.

The pin is equipped with an Alltek MPU, a Bally SDU, and a Bally lamp board. It also has a new Weebly rectifier board.

As I said, it just quit cold. And is frozen.

Any thoughts on where to start looking are appreciated.

I have to leave and spend the day running errands.

This is it. I have GI and a few feature lights. Nothing more.

IMG_1877 (resized).JPGIMG_1877 (resized).JPG

#2187 4 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Check the mpu for the flashes first. Solid light/no light or x number of flashes starts the diagnostic path.
It honestly could be as simple as a blown 5 amp solenoid fuse not getting past the 6th flash

Thanks, but I get no flashes. The pin is frozen as shown in the pics.

I’m still running errands. It will be later before I am back home

#2190 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Start by checking the voltages on the rectifier board, specifically 12V unregulated.
Then check TP1 and TP3 on the SDB. Both should be 5V.
Check MPU TP2 (12V) and TP5 (5V). That should be all you need to boot the CPU with flashes.
I would also disconnect the cables from the top of the MPU in case a sound board fault is locking up the MPU.

Thanks. This will be tomorrow's new project.

#2196 4 years ago

Yes mpu 200’s are hit and miss. On ali all greatest letters on left shot flicker still. On dragon fist it’s a few around the blue bonus inserts.
I probably have 30 of your adapter sets in my games at this point. Love them.

Quoted from Quench:

The "greatest" inserts on Ali are the very first lamps to be refreshed during the zero crossing routine. If on Dragon Fist you're talking about the 1000-8000 blue bonus inserts then same story. The SCRs driving those LEDs will find it most difficult to latch since the DC voltage is at the lowest point in the lamp refresh cycle and the current isn't yet at the right level for the SCR to latch in certain conditions. The types of LEDs used will probably be a factor but lower value resistors may likely be needed on those first lamp outputs.

I currently have some other problems going on with my Dragonfist at the moment, but when it was working, there were no flickering LEDs. I am using a Bally LDA and a set of Hans's adaptor sets are mounted. For the blue and green bonus inserts, I am using 4-SMD units/bulbs from Comet. I am 100% LED in this pin with the exception of 18 yellow feature lights which are still incandescent.

I have done nothing special. How/why did I get lucky and miss this flickering issue?

#2198 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

As mentioned in my previous post, the blue bonus lamps are the first lamps to be refreshed during the zero crossing service routine - they are the ones most likely to suffer from flickering. Your using 4-SMD LEDs which draw more current than the single/twin SMD LEDs others are using. This results in more current through the SCRs allowing them to better reach latch current hold threshold.
Once you get the game working again it might be interesting to swap some of those blue 4-SMD LEDs particularly at 1k - 4k bonus to low cost non SMDs or single SMD and see what happens.
Your feature lamp voltage maybe a bit higher than others possibly due to the way your transformer is tapped resulting in slightly increased current draw.
You might be lucky that the batch/manufacturer of SCRs on your lamp driver board have lower than normal hold latch current characteristics. Spec for the 2N5060 and MCR106 SCRS state that holding current is 5ma "Max" meaning the worst case SCRs need to see at least 5ma before latching. In other words you might have SCRs capable of latching at lower currents. This is why when some people swap SCRs it fixes their issue.

Thanks Quench. Electronics is my weak point; My last frontier. I learn something new in all of your posts. When I get Dragonfist up and running I'll swap some LEDs and see what happens.

#2200 4 years ago

Yeah I only use 1snd warm white comets across the board in all my pins GI and inserts.
4 smd inserts seems blinding.

When I got my Dragonfist, it was loaded up with #47 bulbs. I could barely see the blue and green bonus lights. I use 2-SMDs in my other pins, but the Dragonfist inserts seemed so dark that I went with 4-SMD. They are not too bright at all. I not saying a 2-SMD will not work, but I am very happy with the way the 4-SMDs lit things up.

#2216 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Dead Dragonfist:
I have been having some spirited sessions with Dragonfist for the last few days. This morning, the good times ended. During mid-ball, the pin just froze up. I can turn it off and then turn it back on and it is still frozen. It does not reset. It does nothing but light back up with the same play field lights frozen and a blank back box.
I have not started trouble shooting this yet. I thought I would plumb for ideas before I start looking around.
Is it something simple? I don't know yet.
Have I blown a fuse? I don't know.
Has a connector pin gone bad and folded up? I don't know.
Has something gone bad on a board? I don't know.
The pin is equipped with an Alltek MPU, a Bally SDU, and a Bally lamp board. It also has a new Weebly rectifier board.
As I said, it just quit cold. And is frozen.
Any thoughts on where to start looking are appreciated.
I have to leave and spend the day running errands.
This is it. I have GI and a few feature lights. Nothing more.
[quoted image]

Finally got to Dragonfist this morning.

It was a blown fuse on the rectifier baord. A 4amp fuse on F3. It is working fine now. But my big question is why did the fuse blow in the first place?

Is there something I need to be worrying about? Just what caused the fuse to blow? Or does this get filed in the "shit happens" file and I move on along like nothing happened?

Thanks all for offering suggestions.

#2222 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Did the old fuse blow violently or was it just open circuit? Got a picture?
Do you have LED displays?

I would say it blew violently. There is quite a gap between blown electrode?/wire.

I have the original Stern displays installed.

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 1.26.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-13 at 1.26.23 PM (resized).png

#2224 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

It looks like it was a new fuse that blew so it had already been recently replaced?
Suspect it will probably happen again till the cause is found.

It was a fuse that was supplied with the Weebly rectifier board.

I had played quite a few games over several weeks before it blew.

At least it did blow. So I will keep playing. I’ll start studying the prints and track the circuits and try to figure it out.

#2227 4 years ago

Someone is selling a Lightning back glass on CL.

dayton.craigslist.org link

#2241 4 years ago

cottonm4 you were right sir! I finally received my Data East lockdown off a Pinsider parting out a WWE and it fit the Orbitor 1 bar perfectly. No idea why Terry thought they didn’t fit.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Glad it all worked out for you.

Please do us all a favor and contact Terry with the non-debatable information you now have.

1 week later
#2258 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

I don't think the widebody DE bars fit classic Stern games. The bar is a different length and the "tangs" are placed in different positions.

Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

I don't think the widebody DE bars fit classic Stern games. The bar is a different length and the "tangs" are placed in different positions.

Pinball Life shows both the narrow and wide body lock down bars. Only one receiver is shown.

Since Data East just Gary Stern riding with a new name I’m betting the same economic manufacturing practices that drove Stern carried over to DE.

What worked for Stern was still good. Why reinvent the wheel?

I’m betting the wide DE bar will fit. It just will be painted black and not shiny stainless.

#2262 4 years ago

We went over this before. I bought the Data East receiver off a WWE and I had a classic Stern widebody lockdown bar for Orbitor 1 and my data East bars were interchangeable. Literally scroll up just a few posts.
They are identical and they will fit. Cotton made a HUGE post about how they are all interchangeable. I even emailed Pinball Life and explained it fits perfectly, I guess Terry either doesn’t believe me or hasn’t updated the site since then. They DO work. Trust me because I literally just bought them and they’re all interchangeable

It is strange. All Terry has to do is walk out to his inventory, pull one wide body lock bar, one narrow body lock bar, and the one style of receiver that he has in stock and verify the info you passed back to him.

I have reread the Pinball Life link and the DE wide body lock bar is/was made by cutting up 2 standard lock bars and spot welding then to the part that mates to the receiver. This is the exact same way the Stern wide body bars were made. There is no way DE went to expense to conjure up some new fangled way to attach a wide body lock bar.

If Terry won't make a move after you showed him the way, then there is no point in me contacting him.

https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsega-widebody-front-molding-black.html

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 8.57.42 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-09-23 at 8.57.42 PM (resized).png

What his site does say is that there are LIMITED QUANTITIES of both the primo wide body bar and the 2nd rate wide body bar. So, if you have a Stern wide body pin and need a lockdown bar you might want to add to your inventory. You can always get it chrome plated or powder coated in Silver. You might wait around and get lucky and find an old original Stern wide body lockdown bar but that string has been getting pulled pretty hard of late. They are getting hard to find and the prices are going up.

#2264 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

You are correct that the latching assys. are the same, but the DE widebody bar is shorter. There was a difference, I just couldn't remember what it was. https://photos.app.goo.gl/aMc5AhM5DFPsiQ2R9

I stand corrected. So, if I have this right, you can take a Stern Flight 2000 wide body lock bar and latch it down to a DE wide body. It will be a little long on the ends but can be attached?

But to try and latch a DE wide body bar to a Flight 2000 can not work because the DE wide body is narrower?

So, if you wish to have a new play field glass custom cut for your Stern wide body you cannot use the same play field glass on the DE wide body; The DE will also have to have a glass custom cut to yet another different size.

I assumed that Stern and DE wide body cabinets were the same size. Talk about mistaken assumptions.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

#2266 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Odd note but I tried switching lockdown bars between my seawitch and my dragonfist and they don't work. Dragon fist works okay on seawitch, but the seawitch one is too narrow for dragonfist by just a hair...it is really weird.

That is just vagaries between cabinets. They were not built with a high degree of precision. Same for lock down bars. You can probably get a small hammer and do some tapping on the ends of the Seawitch bar and knock them out just a little bit to fit the Dragonfist cab.

#2271 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well well well [quoted image]

There has to be a story on this. It does not look like a beater. Speak!

#2275 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My friend picked it up... And then I bought it from him!
So really not much of a story. I didn't even ask him anything I just needed it in my
Hands.
Gonna need some work, but hey it's got a real bagatelle gate so that's something

So that's it? It sort of fell into your lap? No endless miles of highway hypnosis? No thrill of the chase? No getting bent over on the price?

I have one so I do not covet yours But I am jealous with the way some can just rub the Genie bottle and like magic a desired pin just sort of appears

#2279 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

That sounds like my MO for how I have acquired most of my classic Sterns.

If I could only be like that. I blew up the environment and tore up several highways chasing all of mine.

1 week later
#2314 4 years ago

Last week it was a Nine Ball cabinet. Today, it is a Quicksilver cabinet.

Stern threw these cabs together using a lot of staple guns. The first order of business was to buttress the landing for the throat and back box ( on one of my cabs, this landing rocks back and forth and the only thing keeping the back box from falling over is the stainless rails.

IMG_2031 (resized).JPGIMG_2031 (resized).JPG

Attachment blocks were anchored to the cab.

IMG_2035 (resized).JPGIMG_2035 (resized).JPG

And the entire landing assembly is screwed down to the anchor blocks. It will go nowhere unless I decide to unscrew it sometime in the future. All of the screws (that I did not show) will be hidden underneath the throat. Unseen. ( Another added benefit with this setup is when you have one of those large T-nuts fall out like what happened on my Seawitch. I have it held with a piece of tape right now. But I am going to do this cabinet mod to the Witch cab and fix that T-nut properly.

IMG_2038 (resized).JPGIMG_2038 (resized).JPG

We got a new floor.

IMG_2037 (resized).JPGIMG_2037 (resized).JPG

IMG_2040 (resized).JPGIMG_2040 (resized).JPG

IMG_2063 (resized).JPGIMG_2063 (resized).JPG

Two extra wedge braces were added to the back side of each cross-board. These are there to keep the floor from sagging and opening hiding spaces for dropped nuts and bolts.

IMG_2069 (resized).JPGIMG_2069 (resized).JPG

The cradle strips for the coin door were removed and lots of sanding with a vibrator sander cleaned away 35 years worth of spilled drinks. The corner wedge braces were cracked and coming unglued so replacements were made and installed. The factory used staples: I use screws. Not original but I don't care. The screws can always be removed and staples added if someone is so inclined.

IMG_2064 (resized).JPGIMG_2064 (resized).JPG

First coat of silver has been applied.

IMG_2070 (resized).JPGIMG_2070 (resized).JPG

IMG_2072 (resized).JPGIMG_2072 (resized).JPG

I'm going to grab a phrase from Jesse Pinkman (Breaking Bad). Pinball Pimps stencils are The Bomb !

IMG_2079 (resized).JPGIMG_2079 (resized).JPG
IMG_2081 (resized).JPGIMG_2081 (resized).JPG

IMG_2087 (resized).JPGIMG_2087 (resized).JPG

IMG_2089 (resized).JPGIMG_2089 (resized).JPG
IMG_2093 (resized).JPGIMG_2093 (resized).JPG
===========================
The paint may be a little over the top, but I went with automotive paint. The silver is a color from a Subaru. The black is a Honda metallic black.

I laid down several coats of clear this afternoon. It will need to cure for a couple of weeks, then I'll color sand it and buff it out. In these pics you can also see the outriggers I added for the slider buttons. This way if a slider button gets trashed, the cab is not destroyed from being slid on the floor.

IMG_2097 (resized).JPGIMG_2097 (resized).JPG
IMG_2098 (resized).JPGIMG_2098 (resized).JPG

IMG_2100 (resized).JPGIMG_2100 (resized).JPG
IMG_2099 (resized).JPGIMG_2099 (resized).JPG

#2317 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Can't wait to see it in person!

I'll have to sign you to secrecy. Up close and personal you will se all of the flaws and boo boos

There is a small chance I can have both Star Gazer and Quicksilver done in time for TPF 2020. But if I have to choose, which one should I try to complete first ? I can only transport one pin.

#2318 4 years ago

EDIT: Wrong post.

#2320 4 years ago
Quoted from grandy:

Getting to the finish line with my Dracula. Couple of questions:
1. I'm having a hell of a time setting up these thumpers to be super responsive. I've got the skirts centered on the spoons and the switches adjusted really close, but the ball seems to not be triggering the switch (like the skirt isn't high enough?) pretty often. The contacts are good, and the thumpers were working great before i rebuilt them... so i'm clearly missing some trick or consideration with this setup. I've rebuilt tons of pops before and never had this kind of trouble. I'm considering starting over with this plastic base: https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-sterndata-eastsegacapcomalvin-gspookyheighway-thumper-bumper-housingbase.html - thoughts?
2. I've got an issue with sound that is a little elusive - if i leave the machine on, but not "in game" for awhile, after about 5 minutes (haven't timed it), the machine starts making garbled sounds and when i turn it off and on again it stops. I've got the alltek board if that makes a difference, but i'm assuming the problem is some bad/weak component on the sound board. Any obvious thing I should look/test for?
Thanks! And here's a shot of the playfield looking purty:
[quoted image]

I love those plastic bases. You can wire up with a Molex connector, remove the pop assembly and make perfect adjustments at the kitchen table and then reinstall.

#2322 4 years ago

Which Molex connectors do you recommend? I want to do this to all my Stern/DE games

I think I will direct you to asking Ed at G-P-E. I have been using the small molex connectors and pins without issues. But I have not given any consideration to how they are rated ampere wise.

#2325 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

As usually happens when working on these things, I've run into a snag. Right flipper pawl has one of the 2 allen screws snapped off below the hole, so I can't get a tool on it. Flipper bat not budging with only removing the other screw.

Major bummer.

You might be able to drill into the screw and use an EZ out, but I think those screws are pretty hard. I would not waste my time trying.

You are probably going to need a Dremel Tool with a cutoff wheel and slice into the flipper shaft above the pawl. Or you might be able to use the cutoff wheel to whittle the flipper bat off. Either way you are looking at buying a new bat and possibly/probably a new pawl from Pinball Life.

1 week later
#2361 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Can it be attached with a nut / bolt if the receiver is removed?

Actually, the small rivet piece you are holding in your hand looks like one of the rivets to hold the receiver and the slider bar together. Your lockdown bar handle comes fastened with a machine screw and nut from the factory.

IMG_2232 (resized).JPGIMG_2232 (resized).JPG

You will need a couple of washer spacers.

IMG_2231 (resized).JPGIMG_2231 (resized).JPG

IMG_2234 (resized).JPGIMG_2234 (resized).JPG

Since it looks like you don't have the proper spacer washer with a shoulder, I would suggest drilling the hole in the receiver to a larger size to match the hole in the handle. Get a machine screw, some washers and a nylon locking nut so you can adjust tension and it all should work fine.

IMG_2230 (resized).JPGIMG_2230 (resized).JPG

#2363 4 years ago

You have a nice looking Seawitch. I would like to offer a correction. Your back glass was reproduced by John Greatwich and not CPR as your ad states. CPR makes Seawitch plastics, but not the back glass, as far as I can tell.

#2365 4 years ago

What is this nail for? What purpose for this?

IMG_2264 (resized).JPGIMG_2264 (resized).JPG

I just noticed that all of my Stern cabs have this short nail hammered into the cab just to the left of the coin door.

Catacomb

IMG_2266 (resized).JPGIMG_2266 (resized).JPG

Nine Ball...and the NB cab I have converted to a Quicksilver had one as well.

IMG_2267 (resized).JPGIMG_2267 (resized).JPG

Seawitch

IMG_2268 (resized).JPGIMG_2268 (resized).JPG

Dragonfist. The nail is gone but the hole is still there.

IMG_2269 (resized).JPGIMG_2269 (resized).JPG

Meteor has a nail as well. Not pictured

#2372 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Is there any way to adjust the kickout direction from the hole in Dracula? Mine is shooting the ball into the pop bumper cap adjacent to it and then into the glass. I tried bending the tip a bit, and bending the wire post sticking up, neither seemed to have much of a effect, when the ball comes to rest in the hole it is all the way to the right side and gets kicked that way no matter what. I can see where it used to hit the playfield by the wear marks, but it not longer shoots there. ideas?[quoted image]

You will need to remove the screws that are currently holding the saucer into position. Make new marks carefully on where you want the kicker to shoot to and drill new holes. You should consider and may even have to fill the old holes with dowel rod and clean them up.

#2382 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I'll take a look, thanks.

screws? they be nails, but yes I had considered this but thinking I may need to move the whole mech as well.

OK. I guess the plastic piece that is there is nailed in. But I was talking in terms of the entire mech assembly, which I would think is screwed in, needs to be rotated at little bit. And you would have have to pulls the nails and rotate the plastic pice to match.

#2385 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

got a altek board in my Quicksilver but can't get high scores to work all I see is this: tried changing the dip switches to no avail...
any ideas?
[quoted image]

There are 2 jumpers in the upper left hand corner of the Alltek MPU. There are 3 jumper pins for each jumper connector. For Bally, the jumper needs to be on the 2 right most pins. For Sterns, the jumper needs to be on the two left most pins. It is in the instructions. This is for all MPU-200 pins.

I won't say this is your problem or even if it will cure your problem if you need to swap your jumpers, but they do need to be on the left hand pair of pins

The one classic Stern I bought from a retailer was supposed to have been play tested before it was shipped to me. When I received that pin it played like pure shit. I don't know how any same person could have said it was playing well. It had an Alltek MPU installed. I looked and the retailer missed swapping those two jumpers over to the left, but he still shipped me something he said played well. So, if you missed the jumpers, you are not the only one who has---even the "pros" missed it.

#2391 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

I have a beehive over cupped inserts on a Flight 2000. Completely flat now.

What is a beehive?

#2403 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Want to sample a 3D printed one?

I'd sample a 3D printed one. It is just a button and a dual diameter shaft. Sort of off-white bone color. Do you need a specimen for modeling purpose?

1 week later
#2420 4 years ago

How did this happen? Short story: I added credits on my Big Game. The upper limit for credits is supposed to be 40. When I had zero credits, I hit the credit button and wound up with 99 credits on the display.

I'm not complaining but this is not supposed to happen.

Any ideas?

I am using the Stern MPU-200 board.

IMG_2346 (resized).JPGIMG_2346 (resized).JPG

#2423 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

What version of the software do you have running? It went from 00 to 99 when you went to start a game or it went to 99 from 00 when you hit a coin switch?

I don't know what version of software are loaded on the ROMs. I don't know how to check. I was having board problems and installed an Alltek MPU. This is the first time I have played this pin with the Stern MPU.

The longer story: I installed my Big Game ROMs into an MPU-200 board that had been to the repair shop. With all of the dip switches set, I credited up 14 games and played them. At zero credits, I dropped a quarter and only 9 credits loaded and the credit microswitch locked up and would not let me add more credits. I burned all 9 credits and went to zero credits but still could not add more credits.

I turned the pin off and back on. And when I attempted to add credits, I was blessed with 99 credits showing. Everything is working fine.

I'll try and clear the audits but I am enjoying the warp to 99 credits instead of just 40 credits.

#2425 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

If they're originals (you tell from the label, post picture)

They are not the originals. I sent some boards to a guy who said he could work on boards, only he couldn't. But he did add some new Big Game ROMs to my MPU-200. This was in 2016.

#2429 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ain't that the truth! In the same boat as you. [quoted image]

I have a tip for you.

On the back plate of the assembly there is a screw plate that the 3 target switches attach to with 2 screws. While apart, screw that plate into position and tape it down with couple of strips of duct tape. Make sure the tape will not interfere with any other parts. This will make things a whole lot easier to attach the target switches that screw plate taped into position.

The above is for if you still have the switches soldered onto the wiring.

#2430 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

do you recall if one of the credit digits when it was at zero was blank? Either would have caused this behavior.

I am not ignoring you. It is just that I have to work off 99 credits down to 00 to see what happens.

I am down to 43 credits showing

#2432 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Thanks for the tip!
I was thinking of leaving that switch plate off completely, and attaching the switches to it first, and then the plate (with the switches) on to the already attached drop housing?
I'm aboot to look at my pics to see if it's possible and which one goes where as the switch plates are not all the same...possibly for no reason whom knows.
Edit : of course the switch plated have to be screwed from the inside of the housing... Oh tricky stern

Tricky Stern is right.

I am in the slow process ( I just love spending money) of installing molex connectors for the switches and coils for the drop targets. That way, you just unplug the DT assembly at the molex and undo the four screws that hold the DTs to the play field.

#2438 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Thats the bueaty of a tumbler.

You should consider spraying on some clear Krylon or Rustoleum. The shiny will start dulling out and looking white if you don't. It does not take much paint. You are not painting a custom car. You can slop it on.

#2442 4 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

I'll bet that once all that stuff is put back together you may never have to disconnect them again. After replacing original targets on over a couple of dozen games I only had one game, Galaxy, ever suffer a broken drop target. Just sayin, unless you like doing connector work, might not need to do this step.

Good point. You have given me something to think on.

#2443 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The logical explanation for the 99 credit ringup is the one I posted, do you recall if one of the credit digits when it was at zero was blank? Either would have caused this behavior. While the routines that increment and decrement audits (credits are just an audit location) correct for non-hex digits, they don't check if the source IS hex before adding/subtracting.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I am not ignoring you. It is just that I have to work off 99 credits down to 00 to see what happens.
I am down to 43 credits showing

I worked off the last of the credits and here is what I see.

The credit digit(s) shows double zero when in attract mode. I also have zeros running across the displays while in attract mode.

I also turned the pin off and then back on after these pics were taken. And all is back to normal with 40 credits being the maximum number of credits allowed.

IMG_2429 (resized).JPGIMG_2429 (resized).JPGIMG_2433 (resized).JPGIMG_2433 (resized).JPG
#2446 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Is that your HSTD with the blanks in the zeros? If so you need to reset it.
We'll chalk this up to a strange anomaly.

What is HSTD? They are factory displays. And how do I reset?

Thanks.

#2448 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Can someone with an ALI assist me? My top left connector only has 8 pins, but the headers have 9. My Quicksilver had the red wire on the 1st pin from the left, but I don't know if that is accurate. Any help is appreciated. thanks.
[quoted image]

On Ali, pin 1 is connector red wire. You should have a blocking key in pin location #4 from the left; Jam a toothpick in there if you don't have a key.

That is an aftermarket rectifier board.

#2455 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Did you step through and clear all the audits? That looks like garbage in RAM to me.

Quoted from slochar:

high score to date. There shouldn't be blanks in it.
go into test mode and get to audit #04, then hit the clear button in the coin door or on the mpu board to zero it out. When you reboot, the high score should show 00, and as you play you will get it at the end of the game.
Definitely an incentive to beat!

Thank you both. I finally learned how to do this stuff with the white buttons on the coin door. I cleared everything and the displays are showing what they need to show.

#2456 4 years ago

How big is your tumbler??

Quoted from TheLaw:

Mines not big, but if I could go back I would get the biggest one possible.

Same here. I wish I had bought the larger tumbler. It cost more but the convenience of larger capacity and flexibility would have been worth the extra money.

EDIT: I should have kept my mouth shut. Right after I wrote the above, I turned on my tumbler for another round and 10 minutes later it died. I can turn it on and hear the motor humming. It sounds like a shorted armature. (sigh). It is a Berryman tumbler I got from Steve at PBR about 3 years ago. I have used it a lot, but still...

Now I get to go buy that larger tumbler.

#2458 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

this might help a few people - as completed some reproduced Classic Stern Parts
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkscs&sort=newest
also here along with a heap of other parts
https://swinks.com.au/ss-parts
hope it helps
ps - I apologise for the part price but limited by Shapeways manufacturing costs[quoted image][quoted image]

These are nice. Eventually, I am going to need some of these.

The originals are a light gray color. Will your gray ones match the original gray? And why is the gray color much pricier than the other colors? You have different types of plastic being used. Can we know why?

#2461 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Shapeways have 2 types of plastic processes:
1 - is the Versatile plastic and there are more to dye a particular colour and then the higher quality white and black has a extra polishing process which cost more. The Versatile Plastic is plastic powder joined together with a laser sintering process
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/versatile-plastic
2. - the MJF plastic is very similar plastic particles but use a glue process to join each dust particle. It is a little better for detail and finish but the use of hitting the ball is unknown but from what I have made with it is strong and can tap a thread etc and appears to have good impact resistance. The cost is higher due to the process. The grey is the natural look and black is the dyed finish.
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/multi-jet-fusion-pa12
The originals are light grey and made via a injection molded process so the finish is smooth and glossy / shiny. Shapeways does not have these finishes due to the manufacturing process but you can dye the white material yourself to achieve a similar grey. These parts are to help those that prefer the quieter pops but are not a perfect reproduction.
in regards to the price I only earn a small commission but the price is dictated by there processes and hence why I did a 3 piece set to try and lower the overall price which if people only want the bumper ring & rod I could do 2 linked together with some mini posts making just those more affordable.
hope that helps explain

Thank you. You say they are not a perfect reproduction. Considering that so little of the rod and ring are visible, I think as long as they are durable and do the job that absolute perfection is not needed.

I think it is fantastic that they can be produced.

#2475 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Does anyone know if there are any decals available for the shooter lane guages? I'd like to redo my Stars one if possible.[quoted image]

Yes.

http://pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Stern.html

#2487 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yeah, I don't know if that is the right switch etc. But the cover you made HHaase, was on the list as that is kind of scary to think of touching when its on.
OH so that giant heat sink and BR are addon? ok cool. I have the manual and schematics from marco, but I didn't see too much on that relay or rectifier board. I have a new rectifier board, but need to repin and connector all those as you see. I didn't realize until reading up on that board, last night that the solder on the rear off the transformer was normal.
I've only played a Stern Stars, and it was enjoyable. I've missed on a stars and a few meteors so I saw this and couldn't pass up a Stern Electronics game. Not sure how fun it is, but hoping to find out soon.

Galaxy is not high up on the "want to have" list, but I have read on pinside that with some mods that Galaxy can be a fun player. I don't know what the mods are, though. I have played it at TPF. It can be fun to play.

#2502 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You can but you shouldn't - QS uses the newer plastic style. They def. have a different feel and performance.

The newer plastic style pop rings might be a confusing statement to many Stern owners or those who are building a Star Gazer or Quicksilver from scratch. These rings are obsolete.

But now, due to the 3-D print capabilities, a pinsider by the name swinks, is reproducing these plastic rings once again. They are rather pricy but I consider us lucky they can even be bought.

See post #2457 thru #2462.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/50

https://www.shapeways.com/product/59LRBQ7L5/b-695-3-rod-ring-classic-stern?optionId=133483915&li=marketplace

They are available in several different colors. The basic white ring and rod assembly costs $22.00. But the same steel parts from the other pin suppliers are going to come in at around $15.00 so there is not that much of premium if you want to return to plastic. Of course, no new parts can compare to used inventory if you have a stash used parts to pick from.

#2511 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Along with the Shapeways parts above, order these and drill out the rod holes to work with the plastic ring/rod parts.
https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-sterndata-eastsegacapcomalvin-gspookyheighway-thumper-bumper-housingbase.html

This is a good suggestion.

I love these plastic pop bases. I add molex connectors and remove the complete pop assembly when I need to adjust the pop spoon and switch.

The only problem with ordering just the bare housing from Pinball Life is that 3 parts are not included that you will need. You need part #9 and #12. The drawing calls these two parts tension plates. You also need item #24 which is called a coil mounting plate. If you have the right tools you can make your own plates but if you don't have the right tools it can be a PIA. You will also need the screws and related hardware.

3a7f7a51f7a58af3983dde1bc6cd8c14acf8e592 (resized).jpg3a7f7a51f7a58af3983dde1bc6cd8c14acf8e592 (resized).jpg

Pinball Life sells the complete pop bumper assembly and those 3 needed plates are part of the package, but PL does not sell just the plates. If you order the complete assembly, for the Sterns you need to you need to order the AE-26-1200 coil. The coil is not equipped with a diode so you have to add a diode.

https://www.pinballlife.com/desega-pop-bumper-assembly.html

1 week later
#2542 4 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

Looks nice. No fading or flaking in the reds on the backglass and minimal playfield wear that I can see. Cabinet looks decent too. Assuming additional pics don’t show any major flaws I’d say $1500 - 2000 in this market.

Knowing how much I had to spend to get my Big Game looking that good, I agree.

#2545 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Could anyone tell me what type of bolts I'll need for attaching the head to the cabinet on a Stars? I think i have the pitch/diameter, just need to know the length.
Thanks!

4 1/2" minimum length.

Non-threaded portion of the bolt shank cannot be any longer that 2 1/4" long. If the non-threaded portion of the shank is longer than 2 1/4" then the the bolt will not fasten tightly.

Double check your install after you have installed the bolts. What you are looking for is for the bolt to protrude all the way through the nut plate. You want to feel the threaded end after you have tightened the bolt to make sure it is long enough to go all the way thru.

#2546 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Take one out of seawitch to the hardware store and buy a bunch of them. They should work in most every game.

Perfect. Why didn't I think of an answer like that.

#2559 4 years ago

Current resto...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How is your play field? Is the clear cured and hard?

#2562 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Anyone need/want a Stern Seawitch reproduction playfied?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Maybe. That's one of John's white arrow play fields. You just got it. Is is clear or unclear?

Don't you like it?

#2567 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah sold Seawitch. New owner didn’t want to do the swap, I don’t have need for it and stranger things coming I’m going for a newer stern.

Is it clear coated or not clear coated?

#2569 4 years ago

Pinball Pimp Stencils tip:

For any of you that are restoring or building one of these classic Sterns I have an observation to share on how to index/locate your stencils onto your cabinet. For some of the pins, you get some slack. For some others, it all depends how much of a perfectionist you are and how anal you want to be about.

For pins like Catacomb you get some slack. For the others, realizing that Stern was not the practitioner of precision manufacturing, it all depends on how you feel.

Here is Catacomb to start. For the most part, on Catacomb, you will be indexing the stencil from the bottom of the cab. You will understand more of what I mean as I continue.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 6.44.56 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 6.44.56 PM (resized).png

Seawitch is about like Catacomb, but the stenciled wave at the back of the cab needs to match up with the lower edge of the stainless side rail.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 6.50.41 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 6.50.41 PM (resized).png

Here is a Big Game. Notice how the ram's horn at the back of the cabinet matches to the edge of the stainless rail.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 6.41.32 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 6.41.32 PM (resized).png

And here is my Big Game. When I placed my stencils, I indexed to the bottom of the cabinet, but in doing so, i missed getting the correct match with the horns and the side rail. There is a gap between the horns and the side rail that should not be there. Is it a big deal? It all depends on how you feel. Someday, perhaps, I will get around to correcting this.

BTW: I did not purchase Pinball Pimp stencils for Big Game. They are simple enough that I traced and made my own. I did not throw them away.

IMG_2601 (resized).jpgIMG_2601 (resized).jpg

Here is my Star Gazer. SG was a fairly easy stencil to apply.

Here is a pic of my SG with the stainless rail in position. Notice the two pieces of blue tape for reference.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.12.28 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.12.28 PM (resized).png

Now, with the rail removed. With this pic it is evident how much of the stencil white lies above the match line on the rail. I was not aware of what I am currently speaking about when I applied the SG stencil and just got lucky that the stencil had a lot of meat on it.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.07.40 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.07.40 PM (resized).png

Here is a Nine Ball. Notice how there is no orange gap between the stainless rail and the blue of the stencil. I have seen one NB where there is an orange gap between the blue stencil and the rail.

1150-1 (resized).jpg1150-1 (resized).jpg

Here is a FLight 2000. My F2K looks just like this one. There is a gap between the rail and the yellow points of the explosion graphic. I don't think the gap is supposed to be there but Stern was producing fast and loose. So who knows. If I ever decide to restore my F2K I will probably correct this, but I am in no hurry.

1132 (resized).jpg1132 (resized).jpg

And there is Quicksilver. Notice how the black stencil almost makes it to the rail. There is a small gap but it is not bad.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.20.07 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 7.20.07 PM (resized).png

Here is a pic of my QS cab. I did not get the stencil indexed to the cab rail correctly and when I was finished I had a 1/2' to 5/8" gap between the rail and the stencil. I did not want a gap so I had do to some masking and touchup work so I could be gap free. It was a PIA but was not too hard to correct.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 6.32.54 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 6.32.54 PM (resized).png

If something in here got your attention and you want to index your stencils so there is no gap, you have to lay your rail on the side of your cab and on top of the stencil and start moving the stencil underneath the rail and when it lines up then tape the stencil down.

I hope this helps you all restorers out in the future.

#2573 4 years ago

Love you passion cottonm4.
What’s your guess on how accurate mine will be? I won’t see it in person for another month or so, but you’ve got me intrigued as to how it’ll look with siderails on.[quoted image][quoted image]

If you look at the black stencil "line" down low at the back you can see it is positioned just above the lower bolt hole for the leg, I am going to guess that your painter got your stencil positioned so you will have no gap. I was off around 1/2" and my stencil went straight to that leg attachment hole.

I'll interested in what you discover.

You could give your painter the measurement of your rail so he can check it out and make any alterations you might want.

#2574 4 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

I had to be careful with my Nineball. Look how my original cab was made[quoted image]
With the pimball pimp stencil, the blue is going all the way to the top And there is enough under the side rail to be ok[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I realize that you do not have your red accents painted on your Pinball Pimp pic (that I have shamelessly reversed) but the PP stencil looks different.

The Wizard looks like he has been moved closer to the front of the cab. If you look closely, the PP pic has a small star and a small ball behind the Wizard's head while the factory job only has the small star and the small ball is missing.

My NB looks like your factory pic with only the small star behind the Wizard's head.

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 11.25.52 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-12-19 at 11.25.52 AM (resized).png

#2577 4 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

it was there![quoted image]

I see it now. But all mine has is the small star behind the Wizard's head.

I guess this sort of supports my position that Stern did not work with a high degree of precision where stenciling occurred.

IMG_2606 (resized).jpgIMG_2606 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#2601 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:Repin of the harness in the head is done and most plugs in the cab now. The rectifier board plugs I just repinned tonight but was curious, does anyone make or know where to get the bracket that holds the relay? I think it’s the relay for GI? Next to the transformer and the rectifier.[quoted image][quoted image]

Get some Velcro strips. Make a small wooden pad. Velcro the pad to your transformer board. Apple some Velcro to the plastic side of the relay and attach it to the wood pad you made. Sort of a jury rig but it will hold the relay in one place.

#2602 4 years ago

Nine Ball problems: I have never got NB to work properly since I brought it home 4 years ago. My hands have been full with working on my other pins. I am now seeing daylight so I have been working on NB.

One of the problems I am dealing with is that damnable ball lock saucer in the left hand side. When I am about to describe does not happen all of the time but when it does happen it really fouls up the game.

When the first ball drops in the saucer lock all is well. But then ball 2 drops into the lock and holds down the switch wire, the pin seems to think that I have just drained the ball and it moves the ball in play from 1 ball played to 2 balls played. And then when I shoot the third ball the pin considers it ball 3 but with 2 balls locked some switch will make contact and think ball 3 has drained and then shut down the game. When in reality, I am still on ball 1.

My thinking is that when 2 balls are locked they should not be sending signals to advance the ball in play number.

I am at a loss for this behavior.

Any thoughts appreciated.

IMG_2722 (resized).jpgIMG_2722 (resized).jpg

#2608 4 years ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

Anyone have a stripped out Cabinet they are willing to part with? trying to save a Classic stern. Standard cabinet, not a widebody.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-standard-classic-stern-cabinet

A Bally cabinet will work if one of those comes available for you.

#2609 4 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Do you have ceramic caps on the ball trough switches?

I’ll have to look when I get home tomorrow evening

#2611 4 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Do you have ceramic caps on the ball trough switches?

I'm home and just checked. There are no caps on any of the 3 left hand ball lock switches. The game plays famously if I don't get 2 balls locked on the left side.

Ball 1 locks: Game plays great.

Ball 2 locks: Not immediately but a few seconds after ball 2 locks the ball-in-play advances to Ball 2.

Ball 3 comes to the play field and play action is very good, however, I can hear the shooter coil activating and it is shooting blanks since all balls are on the play field (but the shooter should be dead because the shooter switch is not closed). It will let me play on Ball 3 for a few seconds while the shooter is firing blanks and then Ball 3 is signaled as drained and the game is over.

Currently, I have the pin setup with a newly reconditioned Stern MPU-200 board, an Alltek SDU, and a Bally LDA board.

I'll triple check my switch adjustments and see what happens.

Quoted from slochar:

Some of the issue can be resolved with careful adjustment of the switches.
There's been a larger issue with nine ball forever though which is why we're working on changing the software to compensate for errors like this. The code is really a mess; super hacky. They don't count the ball locations correctly, and they don't double check anything, either. Likely they were under pressure to get some kind of code released with the game back then.
Part of the discussion is in the thread referenced and the new thread is here as a clearinghouse of errors that can't be explained solely by hardware:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/9-ball-software-rewrite

Thank you for all of the work your are doing on these early Sterns. I have my hands full ATM but I want otto get an EPROM burner and add that to my list of skills.

Thank you Bluespin. I was following that article and printed it out.

All I can really say right now is that this is the 1st time I have owned NB that I have it really playing well. It is a blast to play.

#2615 4 years ago

First, I need to correct what I said earlier. I have both an Alltek MPU and Alltek SDU powering this pin. I have to assume that both of these relatively young boards are working correctly.
===========================================

Quoted from Barakawins1:

CottonM4 I meant were there any ceramic capacitors on the ball trough microswitches. If so, remove them. They are not needed.

There are none.

Quoted from Barakawins1:

Next, ensure your shooter lane switch is clean and gapped properly.

Check. It is gapped properly. It is not binding. All looks good.

Quoted from Barakawins1:

Third, remove the apron and roll each ball one at a time in the trough to ensure the switches are triggering properly

I have had the apron off more games than I can count. Manually manipulating all of the switches. I have triple-checked all my gaps. All are opening and closing correctly. All 4 micro switches are opening and closing correctly.

Here is what I have:

The 3 switches colored in green represent the 3 switches on the left side of the play field. The 2 switches highlighted in pink are the left saucer( Kick out hole) and the the micro switch that sits closest to the kick out hole.

switch (resized).jpgswitch (resized).jpg

With this pic below , the switches highlighted in blue represent the two micro switches and the outhole switch. If I have a ball loaded in to the kick out hole and manually push the first micro switch in the outhole lane I get the same behavior in that the pin thinks I have drained and it kicks out the next ball and bumps ball in play to #2.

switch_2 (resized).jpgswitch_2 (resized).jpg

Without turning this explanation into a confusing morass, basically, when the kick out hole is activated, either one of the two other switches highlighted in pink act just the same and advance ball in play

All of the switches in question have the common yellow/red power wire. It may not be relevant but the Left Midlane switch connects to MPU A4-J2-13. And the Left outhole switch connects to MPU A4-J2-12. None of the other switches in the Y/R array behave like the 3 switches I have highlighted in pink. The ball shooter lane switch causes some funky action but will not advance me to the next ball in play. And I can press Advance Spinner To End switch and all it will do is keep scoring 7000 points; It will not cause a ball in play advance.

The short answer to all of this is that the Left Midlane switch acts like the Left outhole switch and makes the pin think a ball has drained.

This is my last hurdle to having this pin play like a million bucks.

At this point in time I am still scratching my head.

#2619 4 years ago

I had replaced every diode on this play field and thought I had that fixed. I guess not. It is not a solenoid which I hace disabled by pulling the 1 amp fuse. So either a switch or---the remote possibility that a diode I replaced is bad from the start.

I have to move to some other things for awhile. NB is getting shoved back in the corner to be conquered on another day.

Thanks for your thoughts.

#2624 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Anybody know the part number for these, so I can get the up on the website for sale?[quoted image]

They are called back box light baffles.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=baffles

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=baffles

I have not seen them referenced in any of my Stern manuals. I cannot offer a part number.

1 week later
#2671 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Has anyone made replacement coind door inserts that reference "Tokens" instead of Quarters, Dimes, SBA Dollars?

I don't know if what you are looking for is here but there are many to choose from.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=coin%20plate&VIEW_SIZE=60&VIEW_INDEX=2&view=card&sortOrder=SortKeywordRelevancy

#2679 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Favor time. Could somebody scan me a picture of the following PAA Tournament decal? I've seen some on a few machines here.
I'd like to redraw it in Illustrator and have it printed on die-cut metallic foil... but the PAA logo would be better as a retouched bitmap hence the scan request. I'll probably get a bunch made as the price between one vs. twenty is negligible. Will follow up here when I get them made if anybody would like one.
In my case, I have a perfect apron on my Quicksilver aside from some minor wear on the upper right side. The game itself is restored and it's making me itchy knowing it's there
Rather than decaling the other-wise gorgeous screen print it I'd prefer to cover it with this, which I happen to think looks pretty dang cool.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

I have one I can scan for you. But you will have to wait for 2-4 days as I get my schedule caught up.

#2686 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

I'm officially on the hunt:

Liking your classic Sterns, I see.

There is a lot to like.

1 week later
#2705 4 years ago
Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

Seawitch blue wave spinner decals?? Can't find these for sale anywhere.... one of last parts I need to finish a resto I'm doing. Anyone know of a source?[quoted image]

There was a pinsider who made some Seawitch blue wave decals. I bought one and it is excellent. But I do not remember the guy's name and don't know if he is still around. And I cannot find the PMs we traded. Sorry.

You might try starting a fresh post for this. You might scare something up.

#2707 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

its a class game though
here in the UK we have someone selling an ali for £18,000 !

Is he selling for the (that symbol) 18,000 or is asking the 18K price?

#2712 4 years ago
Quoted from topwif:

I'm the one that has the Seawitch spinner decals and I just saw this ball gate post, this was my solution. Works flawlessly.[quoted image][quoted image]

What kind of return spring do you have on that gate? Looks interesting.

#2714 4 years ago
Quoted from topwif:

Not sure what spring I used on thàt gate. I think it was something I picked up at Lowe's or it came off a drop target assembly or a flipper assembly.

Anyway you could post a better picture of it? It looks interesting.

2 weeks later
#2731 4 years ago

Just placed an order for some prototypes today. Went for pure reflective silver foil as well as holographic foil. Not sure which would work better so had to try both. Should have samples back in a few weeks![quoted image]

That scan turned out nice. Sharp and crisp lettering.

#2734 4 years ago

I’m trying to figure out if possible the Data East Secret Service transformer 010-5002-00 could possibly be subbed into a Quicksilver for a 16b-6

I was looking a little bit but having a difficult time locating the volts and amps for each circuit.

#2745 4 years ago

I am not sure. Check these pictures out. All references provided to me look like plain metallic silver, but the type itself shifts from yellow to a bright yellow green which I am not sure will happen on the silver. I have a local friend that has one on his aprons... I want a dead match so will compare both and see which works best![quoted image]

It is just plain metallic silver. Those are my fingers you see in the reflection.

I don't know how Hollywood does it but trying to get good light on the reflective was impossible. And it was worse on my see-thru scanner; The scans were useless as that burner lamp passed across the mirroring.

#2747 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I own a printing company. Send me specs and artwork and I will quote. Appears to just be a silver BOPP material with 2 color print. Do you have a spec sheet?
3 week turn seems long for something like this

A printing company, huh ? Do you do silk screen printing, too ?

1 week later
#2765 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Coil stops pulled out of a 1981 Dragonfist yesterday...[quoted image]

The button for the copper one has enough meat on it that you can cinch it back down with some hammer taps. I'm not sure about the silver ones.

#2771 4 years ago

You can remove the “classic” part of that statement. All brand new sterns so this too. They fail like that immediately.

I guess I must be living right. My Munsters is still rolling right along.

My friend who has Beatles, Spiderman, Batman 66, AC-DC, Aerosmith, Deadpool. Jurassic Park, and Stranger Things is flailing away without issue. DP, JP, and ST just came off route and are working great.

I cannot agree with your statement that all brand new Sterns do this, too. Maybe me and my friend are on a lonely island, but I don't think so.

I'm guessing that a bad batch was bought and not discovered until in the marketplace seeing action.

#2773 4 years ago
Quoted from Lilpro66:

Just to keep the facts straight.
I did replace 1 coil stop on my Beatles around 3000 plays and 1 in Mettalica around 2000 plays.
Other than that the only issues I am having are flickering or lights going out in the GI on BM66 (swapped nodes didn't fix)
My pins get a lot of play as I have friends over frequently!
I am definitely living right!

you Lurker, you. I want to have another go at your DP. Tonite is pool tournament night. If I go in there and a bunch of people are coughing and sneezing, I'll back out the door and come by

#2775 4 years ago

Attention fellow Classic Stern Nerds: YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED!
Got the tournament decal tests in. I think they both look great, I'm actually going with the holo version on my personal machines.
These are macro shots, so that texture you see in the blacks does not show from a few inches away and looks solid black in person. Yellow text is nice and shiny, again hard to capture.
If you'd like some of your own, please PM me with how many you'd like and which version you prefer along with your shipping information.
Feel free to mix and match.
I will not take any money until these are ready to ship, I'll give it a couple weeks to collect a tally/order and then should be another couple to receive and drop in the mail.
These will be mailed in 6X8 cardboard photo mailers.
Cost? 3 U.S. dollars a piece plus 5 dollars shipping to continental US or 7 to Canada.
PayPal Friends/Family (just your username in comments) or venmo works for payment.
Cheers![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great. I like the foil unit. For $3.00 each, I might fantasize and put one on all my Sterns, whether Papa recognized them or not.

#2777 4 years ago

I'm doing the same. I've always been enthralled with the way these look. First four are on the house, thanks for taking the time to get me those reference shots!

Thank you. And you are welcome. You did a great job.

#2778 4 years ago

Like everybody else I mosey around my collection and play a little of this and a little of that. Big Game is back on rotation. It never fails to satisfy.

#2799 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Working on first classic stern restore, Seawitch.
Rebuilding pop bumpers can’t remember where brass washer go? Is it correct in picture?[quoted image]

Not sure where your brass washer goes. I don't have any on my pops.

IMG_3193 (resized).JPGIMG_3193 (resized).JPG

IMG_3194 (resized).JPGIMG_3194 (resized).JPG

But you are missing two spacers that go between the metal plate and the bottom side of the light socket cup.

IMG_3196 (resized).JPGIMG_3196 (resized).JPGIMG_3195 (resized).JPGIMG_3195 (resized).JPG

#2805 4 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Finally spending some quality time on my Star Gazer while I'm on medical leave. 1 drop target assembly done, 2 more to go!
Oh my fingers and elbows from scrubbing! LOL
Brian[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You might consider putting a light coat of rattle can clear on your shiny parts. They will dull and start looking a little white after some time.

They look nice.

#2814 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

[quoted image]

It is beautiful.

#2827 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I used 4 or 5 grits of sandpaper from 600 to 3000 on the flat pieces.

You need a buffing machine $50..00 at Harbor Freight plus cloth polishing wheels, and 2 kinds of buffing compound. And a workbench to mount it. But time is money

#2833 4 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

I use corn media, I use to use walnut shells but my youngest was born and has a nut allergy. So that ended that stuff!
Brian

I was using the corn media and decided to give walnut shells a try. I cannot tell any difference performance wise, but the walnut media gets dusty enough that I empty my tumbler outdoors. I'll probably go back to corn when it is time to buy again.

#2843 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Yea... I tried to do one in wood... it did not go very well... ( hacked up mess )
I did not have the skills nor a cnc machine. ( back in the 1980's )
The spacer would be like the base unit on Bally's EBD style thumper bumper.

Are you talking about that plastic wafer that attaches to the under side of the play field?

Like this? Sort of like a shortened version of Stern and Data East pop bumper bodies?

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 2.12.49 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-06 at 2.12.49 PM (resized).png

#2845 4 years ago

Just buy new coil sleeves. Don’t be tumbling those old ass aluminum ones fool!

Those are drop target sleeves. I keep them in mine. They don't hurt anything.

#2848 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

I think you mean drop target reset coil sleeves.

Thank you. Corrected.

#2849 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The whole point of owning a tumbler is not to buy replacement parts

That's my man in action

2 weeks later
#2884 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Hey guys! Just bought my second solid state, Harlem Globetrotters. Is this the right club to ask questions about stuff with it? Flippers kits, wiring, drop targets mechs that need tweaking?!?
Only asking as this game hasn't been linked is all!

Well, this is a classic Stern thread. But the innards are all almost the same and they use the same boards. A drop target assembly is a drop target assembly with minor differences. The flipper assemblies are different. GI lights and feature lights are all the same. Replacement score displays are the same. Both use the same coils.

Harlem Globetrotters is a righteous pin. Beyond that..........You could lie about and say you have a Meteor and few would know the difference.

#2886 4 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Looking for a 4, 5, or even 6 drop target centering plate as shown in the photo below. I have a 4-bank that is missing it, but could trim down a 5 or 6 if necessary. Hit me up!
[quoted image]
Here's what it looks like on a 3-bank:[quoted image][quoted image]

You have 3 options.

1) Get a piece of thin-wall angle iron. With a cutoff wheel and a drill you can make your own.

2) Got a local sheet metal shop and have them bend you and angle that they, or you, can cut and drill.

3) make 3 small U-shaped brackets and tap in some threads. In a pinch, you could probably make three u-shaped brackets from a soup can and bolt them in with some machine screws.

4) You could even use a piece of hardwood. If you have some wood left over from the rails you made, you could cut 3 pieces to size and lock them in with wood screws or sheet metal screws.

Lots of ways to skin this cat until you manage to find the right part. It is not a high stress point.

#2888 4 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Rad! Thanks for the help cottonm4. Looks like the piece I need is IB-616-4, but probably impossible to find. Any chance you have a pic or 2 of how to make something out of option #3? Sounds like the easiest route.
gott_lieb, you don't have a 5 or 6 bank one do you? That 4-bank one that too-many-pins was looking for was probably for me! ;P

I made a 5-bank into a 4-bank to show someone else how to do it. I am left one five-bank left and cannot let it go.

For option #3, do this:

1) Remove your drop targets and put some masking tape on the surface where the bracket you do not have would go. Reinstall your targets. Get a good quality fine point pen and trace some nice tight lines down each side of target shanks. Remove the drop targets, again. Measure between those lines you marked. This is going to be close to the width you need to make your parts.

All you are doing is making something to set between the targets so they do not fall out of line when they drop. if you have some double back tape that would be great. Remove two drop targets leaving one installed. Take some of your oak strip you have left over, put on some double back tape and place that strip of wood up next to the drop target shank. Leave your self about .004 of clearance. Some automotive feelers gauges would be nice. Press on the double back tape. Take your drill and drill a hole from the other side and screw the wood down snug. Match up the the other line you drew; make a mark; remove your piece of wood and trim the other side to allow the 2nd drop target to be installed. You need to take your time here; this is close tolerance work. If you leave that wood too loose between the drop targets then the will fall to the side when they drop and will not line up and then will not be able to raise. if you like the way the wood performs, then drill a 2nd hole and install a 2nd screw so there is no chance the wood will pivot on you.

It does not have to be wood but wood is so easy to work with without needing a lot of tools.

If you need to talk a little more, send me a PM.

#2894 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Working on Seawitch installing new flipper kit everything is new.
Where does plastic washer in picture go?
It came in kit from pinballlife.
Guessing it goes on flipper shaft???
This is my first classic stern[quoted image]

Damn ! Who countersunk that hole? It looks a little deep.

13118500c1f07ab85a879f952c34211350108185.jpeg (resized).jpg13118500c1f07ab85a879f952c34211350108185.jpeg (resized).jpg
#2896 4 years ago

Adding post to this thread (from Quicksilver members thread) for more potential eyes.
I’m half way through my full restoration and need to order my last (hopefully) batch of spare parts. I’m struggling to find the part numbers however. Can anyone help?
Flipper Cabinet Switches
Flipper Bats
Flipper bushings
Coil Sleeves - How do you determine? (no listing online anywhere for these)
Correct plunger spring (internal and external)
The long thin (carriage) bolt at the front of the side rails (pretty sure used for earthing)
Is there a better resource than the manual for parts as it’s pretty light on. Thanks

Look thru these.

Since you are in Australia, I am trying to keep it to one suppler for you. But Marko is out of stock on some flipper bats and some of the cab flipper switches.

Here is what they have

1)coil sleeves. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7066

2) flipper bushings. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4A-111-W-2

3) Barrel spring. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/266-5010-00. (This is the barrel spring you want. Trust me)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some flipper bats to choose from. Some are out of stock. If you need some help figuring these out we will all help you.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=flipper+bat
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interanal shooter springs are here. They have all sorts of different tensions. Questions? Ask.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=spring
--------------------------------------------------------------

Best I can do for you right now. Pinball Life and PBR will probably have some of what you need, but not all of what you need.

#2899 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Which is the correct shooter rod for these? I didn't know they made a shorter barrel spring, thanks for that one.

I cannot answer the shooter rod question (I guess I'll need to measure them ), but I had bought some barrel springs form PBR. They were a little longer, about 1.10 inches long and I was having trouble making the shot on one of my pins. So, I found these barrel springs that measure .90 inch long and put them on all my Sterns.

#2906 4 years ago

Hey folks, anyone have a couple used Stern flipper buttons? The white ones (off white or cream at this point in their old age). I have a game that came with one correct and one replacement gottlieb button, so I wanna replace the gottlieb with the correct button.
Thanks,
RC

I have some, but new ones are not all that much. And you still have to pay shipping.

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=flipper%20button

#2908 4 years ago

I'm the weirdo that would prefer an aged original over a new set. Shoot me a pm and I'll happily buy a used original or a few from you.
Thanks,
RC

Let me dig them out. Standby. Could be couple of days.

#2912 4 years ago

Several months ago I made a post of how you could swap Bally drop targets into a Stern drop target assembly. I did that today and here are the pics.

Dragonfist is supposed to have red drop targets. You cannot buy red drop targets to fit a Stern. But you can buy red drop targets to fit a Bally. The pics that follow show this swap in action.

Here is Stern drop assembly.

IMG_3273 (resized).JPGIMG_3273 (resized).JPG

Here are 3 red Bally drops and one white Stern drop. The first thing you will notice is that the Bally drops are rather square up top. They do not have the small side curve as the Stern's do. This is cosmetics. I could make the sides curve like the Stern but I would have to destroy another drop target to make one drop look like a Stern. These are only $3 each. It would cost $27.00 to do this.

IMG_3274 (resized).JPGIMG_3274 (resized).JPG

Here is close up of the two styles of drops.

1) Bally has a half-moon land just below the target's lower edge. Also, if you look down you will see the boss where the spring attaches is little different.

2) Stern made its lands a little different than Bally. You can see the long skinny piece of plastic extend about 5/8" below the lower edge of the target. And the boss where the spring attaches has less meat around the hole for the spring,.

Keep these two different styles of target lands in mind. Operationally, both styles of lands operate the same. But Sten's style does it better. I'll get to that in a minute.

IMG_3275 (resized).JPGIMG_3275 (resized).JPG
===============================
The teardown.

This is where I remove a white drop target and swap with a red one.

IMG_3278 (resized).JPGIMG_3278 (resized).JPG

============================================
The Stern target has a piece of angle bracket that holds the targets in proper position.

IMG_3273 (resized).JPGIMG_3273 (resized).JPG

From the top and looking down, you can see the land of the targets landed on the angle bracket. This is Stern's way of doing it.
IMG_3279 (resized).JPGIMG_3279 (resized).JPG

For Bally, with the half-moon land at the bottom of the target, the bracket that holds the target place needs to be reversed.

IMG_3280 (resized).JPGIMG_3280 (resized).JPG

This is all you need to do to use Bally drops in a Stern assembly. The reverse also holds true. You can install Stern drops in a Bally assembly. And you reverse the bracket where the lands sit.

=======================================
Here is the drop installed with red drops. As mentioned, the profile on the Bally Style drops are different than Stern; That could be fixed with a little bit of work. And while they are red, I don't know how close this red is to the original red.

IMG_3281 (resized).JPGIMG_3281 (resized).JPG
==========================

This is where the rubber meets the road. How do they work? The answer is: Not worth a shit. NWAS for another new acronym plagued world.

They can be knocked down---with difficulty.

So, as I fairly much thought, I will have to modify the lands. There is just too much plastic contact for the drops to release quickly. For the next time through, I will trim back the half-moon land and make a smaller land area. Perhaps with less material on the land the drops will release a little easier. If that does not work satisfactorily, then I will trash an extra drop target for material to extend the Bally land down lower like the Stern drops are.

So, they work but need improvement. Making the improvement will not be hard to accomplish. I'll be back when I make that mod.

My question is why do the Bally targets so hard to drop? I have noticed any Bally I have played to have lousy working drop targets.

#2922 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

There are two types:
Pins through Hot Hand had a button to insert in the receiver.
Pins Meteor forward used slots to fit in the receiver. I can post a picture of what you’re looking for when I get home.
gott_lieb Usually has some for sale on his site but it looks like he’s out. Pm him and too-many-pins to see if they can locate one for you. https://www.jtamusements.com/store/

My Hot Hand had a slotted receiver and lockdown bar. I have no explanation for it. The pin was not beat up so I assume the lockdown/receiver assembly were original. I was thinking HH was the last MPU-100 game and the slotted lock assembly was a transition to the MPU-200 games but Magic came after Hot Hand, however, I don't know what Magic was outfitted with.

#2923 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Back in the day, I had to fix one of these games. I used red spray paint to make the white targets red.

I bet those painted targets, after a few hits, would start looking like some girl's fingernails that needed some new fingernail polish

You worked on a Dragonfist when it was in an arcade? Not too many can make that claim. I wonder how this pin did on location.

#2935 4 years ago

What is a "finned" lockdown bar? I have not heard of this term. All of my Lock bars look the same.

#2937 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Finned is the regular type. There is also a type that has pegs instead.

Ok. I see. I call them slotted and ball and socket.

#2938 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Several months ago I made a post of how you could swap Bally drop targets into a Stern drop target assembly. I did that today and here are the pics.
Dragonfist is supposed to have red drop targets. You cannot buy red drop targets to fit a Stern. But you can buy red drop targets to fit a Bally. The pics that follow show this swap in action.
Here is Stern drop assembly.
[quoted image]
Here are 3 red Bally drops and one white Stern drop. The first thing you will notice is that the Bally drops are rather square up top. They do not have the small side curve as the Stern's do. This is cosmetics. I could make the sides curve like the Stern but I would have to destroy another drop target to make one drop look like a Stern. These are only $3 each. It would cost $27.00 to do this.
[quoted image]
Here is close up of the two styles of drops.
1) Bally has a half-moon land just below the target's lower edge. Also, if you look down you will see the boss where the spring attaches is little different.
2) Stern made its lands a little different than Bally. You can see the long skinny piece of plastic extend about 5/8" below the lower edge of the target. And the boss where the spring attaches has less meat around the hole for the spring,.
Keep these two different styles of target lands in mind. Operationally, both styles of lands operate the same. But Sten's style does it better. I'll get to that in a minute.
[quoted image]
===============================
The teardown.
This is where I remove a white drop target and swap with a red one.
[quoted image]
============================================
The Stern target has a piece of angle bracket that holds the targets in proper position.
[quoted image]
From the top and looking down, you can see the land of the targets landed on the angle bracket. This is Stern's way of doing it.
[quoted image]
For Bally, with the half-moon land at the bottom of the target, the bracket that holds the target place needs to be reversed.
[quoted image]
This is all you need to do to use Bally drops in a Stern assembly. The reverse also holds true. You can install Stern drops in a Bally assembly. And you reverse the bracket where the lands sit.
=======================================
Here is the drop installed with red drops. As mentioned, the profile on the Bally Style drops are different than Stern; That could be fixed with a little bit of work. And while they are red, I don't know how close this red is to the original red.
[quoted image]
This is where the rubber meets the road. How do they work? The answer is: Not worth a shit. NWAS for another new acronym plagued world.
They can be knocked down---with difficulty.
So, as I fairly much thought, I will have to modify the lands. There is just too much plastic contact for the drops to release quickly. For the next time through, I will trim back the half-moon land and make a smaller land area. Perhaps with less material on the land the drops will release a little easier. If that does not work satisfactorily, then I will trash an extra drop target for material to extend the Bally land down lower like the Stern drops are.
So, they work but need improvement. Making the improvement will not be hard to accomplish. I'll be back when I make that mod.
My question is why do the Bally targets so hard to drop? I have noticed any Bally I have played to have lousy working drop targets.

After this first post and my first try with modding Bally drop targets to work with a Stern drop target cage, I found out they just would not drop easily.

So I tried modding the land on the Bally targets by taking some material away from the sides of the land. This was also a bust. They would not drop, either.
Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 10.13.50 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-28 at 10.13.50 PM (resized).png

So, I used the nuclear option. An old drop target was sacrificed to make land extensions. And success ! I can almost make them drop by blowing on them.

IMG_3288 (resized).JPGIMG_3288 (resized).JPG

And the red does look fabulous.

f2ca4529bc63e8d40decd7fc5eb4a78082554b59 (resized).jpgf2ca4529bc63e8d40decd7fc5eb4a78082554b59 (resized).jpg

#2947 4 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I can't believe no one has remade the correct Stern drop targets

I have been very happy with the play action I get with my PBR drop targets.

What do you mean when you say "correct"? What is the difference between a "correct" drop target and the one that Steve at PBR sells?

#2952 4 years ago

For one the height is wrong. They are shorter and don’t sit flush with the playfield when they are in the down position. I have to lay target foam across the bottom of the bank and it is about right for the height and then adjust the switches accordingly for new drop location.

Yes, I know that are shorter and that can be compensated for. Do they not play well for you. I have 6 Sterns set up with these drop targets. They all play great for me. You make me feel like I am missing something. What kinds of sub-standard playing experiences are you having with them?

#2963 4 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Use awl to slightly inlarge hole... put tape on playfield to help prevent chip.
tap in gently.

All of mine unscrew. And then screw back in.

But like some others, I go with the T-nuts as a replacement. However, I do wish those Data East style machine threaded bolts were just a little longer. I would prefer it if the threads extended all the way through the T-nut. It has me thinking I may make some of my own with some threaded rod, a nut, and some thread locker.

#2967 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

On my last restore I had several carriage bolts where the square holes in the wood were rounded out.
I drilled the bottom side out a little larger (not all the way through), installed 6-32 t-nuts and 2-1/2” machine screws screwed in from the bottom with a lock washer against the base of the t-nut. The excess length can be cut off, posts and plastics are still secured with a nut and washer, and the original look is retained.[quoted image]

That looks like the way to go. machine screws are cheap. Those Data East post screws are something like $2.75 each.

#2968 4 years ago

I'm the weirdo that would prefer an aged original over a new set. Shoot me a pm and I'll happily buy a used original or a few from you.
Thanks,
RC

I found my old flipper buttons and housings.

I have sent you a PM.

Thanks

#2979 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Working on classic stern.
Looking where to purchase ball return brackets.
Have they been remade or does anyone have one kicking around.[quoted image][quoted image]

If you don't have any luck finding one of those, yours can be repaired easy enough. All you need is pair of tin snips, a drill, and some JB Weld. If you can't find a piece of sheet metal to make an angle with, go to Home Depot and get an angle bracket used in building wood fences. Or go buy a can of dog food or cat food. Or a can of green beans. Some sheet metal from a can will work for that bracket.

#2981 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

A heads up for the people in this group.....
I've added Tech Charts for ALL Stern Electronics games to my website http://www.inkochnito.nl
Look in the Stern Electronics section or the Tech Chart section.
If you find any errors on these charts, please let me know and I will correct them.
I could still need some help getting the lamp wires for Viper correct.
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

I am looking at the one for Big Game. It looks nice, however, when I print it out, both ends of the print are cut off. To get the entire page to print, I have to scale it down to 60% on my printer and then int is too small to read. You got lots of good info. packed in. Maybe it is just something with my printer that I do not know how to compensate for.

#2983 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Organizing today. Here is a peak of part of my classic stern hoard[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Mitch, are you just bragging or are you selling Dibs on the plastic pops

#3020 4 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

I’m pretty thrilled with the end result of the touch up. Not exactly a high-end restore but it no longer draws the eye to it.[quoted image]

Nice work.

#3027 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

What does everybody do for targets that just brick over and over? Is there a secret on how to correct this?

Which pin are you having brick problems with? Which set of drop targets?

#3038 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Most of us are not HEP

Depends on the look you want. Screw old time factory quality.

I want shiny. I clear

#3039 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Big Game, the top left and bottom right each have one target that is sticking. Maybe I just need to clean them a bit and try that.

Take them out an clean them. Then waX the lands.

#3053 4 years ago
Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

I pulled 200 off of the stock J26-1200's last night & definitely helped...... I can live with where they are at now. I did notice that the total plunger travel on these Stern Pops is about 1/8"-3/16" less than the travel of a Bally pop assembly of the same era..... I may play around with increasing travel tonight just to see what it does.

To keep the thrill going, take a couple of J26-1200 pop coils and replace the 1500s in the sling shots with the 1200s.

1 week later
#3075 3 years ago

I might have a chance at a Stars pinball machine. I have not seen it yet, but I'm told it is in nice condition with a nice back glass.

What is a Stars worth? Or what was one worth before this virus came along?

Thanks

#3085 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Stern 7-digit driver boards were longer than Bally 7-digit boards, and Stern 6-digit boards.
So, anything that is 7 digits, needed to be screwed in from the backside.
One of the reasons why I used Bally 7-digits in my Meteor instead of Stern 7-digits.

Meteor is/was a 6-digit pin. How are you incorporating 7-digits and making them work?

#3128 3 years ago

No post on mine.[quoted image]

The blue print shows 2 standard red posts at the left spinner.

There is no post at the drop targets.

There is one mini-post at the right spinner. However, the drawing shows the post on the outboard side of the spinner. I'm calling an engineering drawing error on this. The mini-post is to protect the spinner actuating wire. Your mini-post at the right spinner is correct when I match it to my Seawatch and Dragonfist.

Yours is the correct setup.

cd74faa4aaf1a51a2022111fff045ee9deeb34d3.jpeg (resized).jpgcd74faa4aaf1a51a2022111fff045ee9deeb34d3.jpeg (resized).jpg
24fae41e66838105f762f60199fa743f66d0caae.jpeg (resized).jpg24fae41e66838105f762f60199fa743f66d0caae.jpeg (resized).jpg

#3129 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

It's more difficult but doable. The playfield is really worn so I've been debating sending it out to be restored and not playing it for a year, or buy a Mirco keep playing mine and installing the Mirco after the clear hardens (maybe three months?).

It would have cost me around $600.00-$700.00 to have my beater QS play field restored. I talked to my restore guy; He said buy Mirco as it will be better than anything he could do. And this guy is good.

For $100.00-$200.00 extra, I got a brand new Mirco. It was no contest.

I think I bought mine around 6 months ago. I just checked. The clear is as hard as a rock. It done cooking.

#3134 3 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Good advice. I never get a good sense of what can be done to keep the sanded/polished metal from corroding again. Is wax enough?

A light coat of rattle can clear will help.

#3140 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Those look terrific.
Would love to see what you could do
with a set for Big Game.

Me ,too.

#3142 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Positive:

Hey all. Does anyone have any potential doner cabinets available for purchase? Looking to build up a StarGazer.

Just to help you out. A Bally cabinet of the era will also work for you. And if Williams play fields are the same size, you could probably use Williams cabinet as well. They are just made out of wood.

#3148 3 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

A Bally cabinet is not the same. The hole spacing to secure the head between a Bally and a classic Stern is different.

It is wood. That would be an easy problem to overcome. But nice to know.

But you do make me question this: Are the back glass size for Bally and Stern the same?

#3149 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Anyone know a source for the long screws and cupped washers that secure the apron to the playfield?

I have a local hardware store that carries a lot of, well, hardware. I think saw some of those in one of the bins. If you don't have any luck send me a PM and I can look for you.

#3156 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

cosmokramer diligently looked into offering cab's, not necessarily early Stern, sadly shipping was a major headache:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-replacement-cabinetsstandard-and-widebody-vp-ready

I talked to Paul at Virtua Pins about building a cab for my Seawitch. He would pay for me to ship my old cab and back box to him. His crew would break it down, reverse engineer it and send me back a new cab for $750.00. I never acted on that.

If someone were to send him a cab he would at least be in a position to make flat packs. His Williams cab flat packs cost around $300.00. So, by the time you put it all together, your sweat equity will be around another $300.00.

#3159 3 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

What did you do in order to get him to respond? I've tried e-mailing a few times about making Williams System 3-7 backboxes, but never heard any response at all. I kinda gave up.
-Hans

Before I bought a real pinball and joined pinside, I had built a visual pinball and donated for a lifetime membership at VP Forums. I had also set up a Linked In "membership" and he reached out to me on LI. Other than that, I don't know. I think I contacted him via his website and the next thing I know he is calling me while on his drive to work.

But I am thinking he probably would not consider a new item unless you had a donor that you could send to him.

But I really have no clue.

#3165 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, from seeing some of my other cards, an owner asked if I could come up with something for Seawitch. Here are the results, and the price is the same as my other sets at $10 including US postage. Please PM me if interested in purchasing.
[quoted image]

I have a Seawitch. I just sent you a PM.

I also have a Big Game, a Nine Ball, Catacomb and a Dragonfist that could use some card love.

#3172 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Positive:

Where does one find replacement drop target assemblies? In my dreams only?

Ask around. This thread is a good place to start.

#3186 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

do you know where I can get all the parts for that? Pretty much think I need the entire mechs for both flippers?
Neil

The cheapest way to get all the parts for a flipper assembly is the complete assembly from Pinball Life.

This is the style that was installed on Big Game. They used to have the style for Ali but I cannot find it.

There is a left side and a right side. You have 5 coils to choose from. Research which coil you want.

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

#3196 3 years ago

They are not correct. Sad. They are the only game in town.

The problem: Between the two card holders it is supposed to say: Stern Electronics Inc.

All they say is: Stern Electronic

#3201 3 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Why don't you contact them, so they can fix their error?

I communicated with them a couple of years ago about an error. The one for Seawitch was the wrong color of blue. I advised them, so they made a replacement and it was the wrong color of blue, too. And there will never be one with the correct Seawitch blue.

These guys are hobbyists. I don't see them throwing away all of their inventory and starting over.

Want one for your Seawitch? Here are your color choices. 1 is too light; 1 is too dark. It won't get any better.

IMG_3535 (resized).JPGIMG_3535 (resized).JPG

Here is the error. Somebody did not proof read before printing. To be honest, I did not even see this mistake. Someone else pointed it out to me.
I scratch my head and wonder how this happened.

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 10.52.46 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-09 at 10.52.46 AM (resized).png

#3208 3 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Or is that printed on a clear sticker you need to install over the full apron ?

Yes. Clear sticker that covers the top of the apron. It looks nice installed, but no comparison to a silk screened apron.

#3216 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Well, from seeing some of my other cards, an owner asked if I could come up with something for Seawitch. Here are the results, and the price is the same as my other sets at $10 including US postage. Please PM me if interested in purchasing.
[quoted image]

The apron cards you made up for me arrived today. They look very nice. They really accent how beat up my apron is.

IMG_3608 (resized).JPGIMG_3608 (resized).JPG
IMG_3607 (resized).JPGIMG_3607 (resized).JPG

IMG_3609 (resized).JPGIMG_3609 (resized).JPG

IMG_3612 (resized).JPGIMG_3612 (resized).JPG

IMG_3611 (resized).JPGIMG_3611 (resized).JPG

IMG_3613 (resized).JPGIMG_3613 (resized).JPG

Now, we just have to get set up for the other Sterns.

#3217 3 years ago

I finally got tired of working under the play field and drop a screw, a nut , or a washer, only to see it hit the floor of the cabinet and proceed to bounce under or roll under the transformer mounting board.

Me and Gorilla Glue did something about it. I closed it off to stop the bounce-and-roll action.

IMG_3625 (resized).JPGIMG_3625 (resized).JPG
IMG_3630 (resized).JPGIMG_3630 (resized).JPG
IMG_3632 (resized).JPGIMG_3632 (resized).JPG

#3221 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Does anyone know where to get the upper backglass trim for Stars? I can't lock the backbox properly without it.

Are you talking about this part with the locking tabs on?

IMG_3633 (resized).JPGIMG_3633 (resized).JPG

#3230 3 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Does anyone sell these backbox lockbars? I have a game that is missing one. I would like some of the early style for some of my later games too.

I wish. They are something that Mantis could probably make but I doubt any of us would be happy the cost.

#3234 3 years ago

tsskinne a few deadbeats who reserved some have ignored my payment request so I have a few more up for grabs!
I have 15 left in standard foil and 10 with a holographic BG. $3 a pop plus $5 to ship in a nice cardboard mailer.
Aiming to hit the post office with everything Thursday morning, so PM me with what you want and I’ll be happy to accommodate you or anybody else cheers!

Deadbeats on Pinside? Surely not !

You got stuck on the side of the road with 25 of them ?

#3248 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Tombstone dont have the wide top.[quoted image][quoted image]

I know I have mentioned this somewhere before, but time to say it again.

You can take a hooded target and get your sanding and filing equipment out and make a tombstone target from a hooded target. The job will look at good as your skillset.

IMG_3674 (resized).JPGIMG_3674 (resized).JPG

IMG_3675 (resized).JPGIMG_3675 (resized).JPG

#3249 3 years ago

Replaced most parts but left the drops original for obvious reasons on the latest to get brought back from the dead pile.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

When you load your pictures, pinside gives you the tools to rotate them into upright position. Those small curves arrows make it possible.

This sideways business is fairly new to me. It used to be I could load my pics and not think about it. But now every pic I load needs to be rotated. It is a PIA but doable.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.28.55 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.28.55 PM (resized).png

#3251 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I know I have mentioned this somewhere before, but time to say it again.
You can take a hooded target and get your sanding and filing equipment out and make a tombstone target from a hooded target. The job will look at good as your skillset.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Here is a quickie job. Seeing is believing.

IMG_3676 (resized).JPGIMG_3676 (resized).JPG
#3266 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

What are you guys doing to replace bottom panels cleats on a Stern cabinet?
I changed the bottom panel with a nice Baltic Birch replacement but I am not sure the best way to get the cleats as well as the cabinet corners for the leg holes.

I know what a cleat is when repairing the neck of a guitar. I don't know what a cleat is on pinball cabinet.

Define "cleat" and maybe I can help you.

What problems are you having with the cab corners?

#3269 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

A 2x4 is typically pine. Is that what the cleats are or a hard wood for better strength?

Pine. A 2 X 4 is good material.

Quoted from hisokajp:

I was reading that from another thread on replacing cabinet bottom, it is the triangle wood pieces glued between the cabinet side and bottom for additional support (12 of them total).
Similar for the tringle piece for the cabinet cornders, they were in such crappy shape that I took them off and I am going to make clean ones.
I assume a table saw at 45 degree through saw 2x4 with the cut width align to the original part size is the way to go?

A table saw set at 45 degrees is what you are after.

For your cleats:

1) Along the sides, it is not all that critical. I put one above and below each of cross ties that the transformer board sits on. Then I put one more about halfway between the upper cross tie and the back of the cab. Do this on both sides.

2) I like to put two of them on the lower side of the tie. This divides the play field into thirds and gives good support for the floor. These will help keep the floor from sagging as the years go by.

Place on the lower side/player side of the tie. Reason for the lower side? If you place them on the upper side of the tie away from the player you have made a parts trap. If you drop a screw and it rolls under the transformer board it could roll onto the other side of the cleat and the only way you can access it is to remove the transformer board.

I might wind up installing some that the factory did not. I have the luxury that the factory did not have. I don't have to worry about the cost.

Unless you are entering some sort of restoration contest where the inspectors looking at every little detail a couple of extra cleats are not going to hurt anything.

#3273 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My big game has these carriage bolts that are used as posts for certain areas (slings, GA targets, etc). Can we buy these anywhere? And any suggestions for getting the old ones out? The nuts holding the Star posts in are corroded to the threaded carriage bolt post and it just spins with the nut.
Thanks!

You can’t buy them anywhere.

I had a couple locked so hard that I had to destroy the post with a Dremel Tool to get the nut off.

Don’t hammer them out. They unscrew. And sometimes to get them started to unscrew I have had to jam two nuts to get them out.

The best you can do is get some 6/32 Phillips head machine screws and screw them back in.

#3275 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I can’t get the nut on the top side that is above the star post to budge at all the carriage bolt just spins with it. I don’t care to keep it or replace, but I can’t get this old one out to replace with something else. There’s only two of them so I just didn’t replace those two star posts for now.
I replaced all the red star posts with green. Loving the way it looks. Replaced all the green rubber I had everywhere with translucent too. Looking nice.

You might try putting two nuts on top of post, jam them together hard and maybe you can get the other nut to release.

But I have had some that whoever had the pin years ago over torqued the nut and messed up the threads.

Or get some Power Blaster at the auto parts store and dob a little bit on the nut. But PB is not cheap.

If you have a Dremel with a cut off wheel that would easiest.

Where did you get the green posts? I want to see.

#3285 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

if possible, i would hammer them out then put a 6-32 Tnut under the PF and use Machine Post/Stud 530-5012-02

I like this idea all but for the price at $2.15 each.

I like Dothedoo's thoughts of going with the T-nut and installing a 6-32 Phillips head screw from underneath. You get the benefits of the T-nut and you have a good solid post. And the screws can be bought at most hardware stores for around 25 cents each. But you will have to cut them to length.

#3286 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Titan pinball.
[quoted image]
Just realized my one spinner looks like he’s winking at ya. Haha

I like that green. I have been looking at it for 4 years. I just don't like the style. I know it is minor. But I like the Stern style because wax won't get caught in the flutes.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I replaced all the red star posts with green. Loving the way it looks. Replaced all the green rubber I had everywhere with translucent too. Looking nice.

I like the frosted rubber rings. I'll go that direction when I need to restock.

#3291 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

actually $1.10 for the post, and it makes it the wa7 all other manufacturer believe it should be Just following djblouw recommendation on his QS from scratch

I missed djblouw's post about these. Best I can find is $1.59 for a quantity of 10. I might be tempted at a $1.10. Who has them for $1.10, please?

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 11.32.55 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-23 at 11.32.55 PM (resized).png

#3298 3 years ago

I do not recommend using a 2" stud for 1 3/16" post.

Here is why:

I was an aircraft inspector. We have specifications that must be followed. If you like to fly you will appreciate the attention to detail and building the plane to blueprint. Some specs allow you to work with tolerances. Some specs are hard callouts that allow no deviation.

One of those specs is that any screw or bolt had to have a minimum of two threads showing beyond the nut. Since we are talking pinball and not aircraft you can make your own leeways.
==============================================

This would not be allowed on an airplane because the 2 thread minimum has not been met. But it is good enough to a pinball machine.

IMG_3718 (resized).JPGIMG_3718 (resized).JPG
================================================

This is a #6 screw that I cut to size. Its has a full 2" of threads. The piece of wood is cut to 1/2" thick, the same thickness as the new CPR Catacomb play field I bought.

IMG_3711 (resized).JPGIMG_3711 (resized).JPG

By installing this 2" screw from the bottom, I have enough threads left over to lock down a nut and also place a nylon cap on.

IMG_3716 (resized).JPGIMG_3716 (resized).JPG

IMG_3721 (resized).JPGIMG_3721 (resized).JPG
---------------------------------------------------------------------
In this pic the nylon cap is removed and the cap portion of a 2" post stud is matched for comparison. You can see the difference in the thread lengths. The extra threads on the post stud are going to cause you problems.

IMG_3723 (resized).JPGIMG_3723 (resized).JPG

====================================================================================

Use a 2" stud and you are left with this. How many threads did you manage to get screwed down into the T-nut? Guess. Just guess. Can you figure it out?

Lets say you are going to look at a pin to buy and as you look it over you see an empty hole in the T-nut. Hold this thought.

IMG_3722 (resized).JPGIMG_3722 (resized).JPG

The rest of the story:

This small gap between the nut on the stud and the red post is how much thread you are going to have when you tighten the stud down.

IMG_3727 (resized).JPGIMG_3727 (resized).JPG
IMG_3726 (resized).JPGIMG_3726 (resized).JPG

You only have about two threads locking the post to the play field. You can do what you want. It is your pin. If you think two threads are enough, go for it.

I am going to build my play fields up using a 2" Phillips head screw and the T-nut. This is the way Dothedoo suggested and it looks good to me.

About holding that thought from above. Let's say you went to look at a pin to buy that someone has built from the ground up. What are you going to think if you lift the play field and see a load of empty T-nut holes. Are you going trust that builder's construction methods?

#3303 3 years ago

Continuing with my proclivity to make molehills into mountains, I dug a little deeper.

1) Since I own a DE Robocop I thought I would check out the source. That was a big fat raspberry. DE used the shorter posts which allow for the studs to come all the way through to the bottom.

2) Next method is called destructive testing where you have to destroy the part in question to see what is really happening. A trip to the belt sander was employed.

You might not be able to see it clearly in the pic but there are 3 three threads biting. The 6-32 nut I have added only has 3 threads biting so this set up will probably be fine for pinball machine. It is not the end of the world if one comes loose. You will not fall out of the sky. I will add that loose posts wobbling around will cut into your play field paint.

There is this caveat:

1) You can't really know how many threads are biting if you cannot see them. 3 threads are probably OK but if you only have 2 threads biting in, I think you are pushing your luck. And unless you are going to do a destructive test you cannot know with confidence, which is the reason aircraft specs that two threads are showing.

I now know that I will be using the screw coming up from the bottom on all tall posts and T-nutting anything that uses a stud. This saves the hassle of stripping a screw hole in the wood. Stripped holes are easy to fix, but I am going onto more positive ways to lock down a post.

As I say this, I understand that I have invested money for tools to take some of this kind of action i.e. making longer screws shorter. If you don't have the tools for making screws shorter you will just have to give it your best shot.

IMG_3753 (resized).JPGIMG_3753 (resized).JPG

Quoted from slochar:

I don't know what pinball resource carries

I got the longest studs I could from PBR. You are looking at one of them.

Quoted from slochar:

In related trivia, everyone thinks split washers, star washer, or nylock nuts don't back off in high vibration environments is encouraged to search youtube for fascinating engineering videos of why this isn't true. I was surprised as well - this is apparently why aviation nuts that MUST NOT MOVE use some kind of wire or pins to hold the nuts in place - cotton would know more about that.

It is called safety wire. Safety wire is used when you have a bolt screwed into a blind hole. Lock washers are not used. On any assembly where a nut is used, the nut will be a special locking nut but no Nylocks, or it will be a castle nut where a cotter pin can be used for positive locking.

Caution: While we are talking about posts, which are not a big deal in the great scheme of things, one of the pins I bought had the back box bolted down with 4 too-short bolts that did not have the protruding threads. There was no way to tell how many threads were holding my back box on. Taking no chances, those bolts went to the trash.

If you are unsure with how your back box is attached to your cab, It is cheap insurance to pull your back glass and reach down inside and feel for protruding threads on those 4 bolts. If you cannot feel the tip of the bolt, if all you are feeling is what seems to be an empty hole, you know what you gotta do.

#3307 3 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Why not just use all thread rod, cut it to length, nut it on the top like Stern did, and if so desired, nut the bottom below the t-nut?
Seems like a simple solution, and you won't have to rely on post length anymore. Just cut to length as needed.

I have thought about doing that way. There is no reason why that would not work. But doing this exercise I did with the parts yesterday gave me a good feeling with using the screw from the bottom. I can't swear to this but I think the machine screw would be of a harder material just due to the fact that you can take small threaded rod and bend it around a pipe to make a U-bend.

Quoted from slochar:

How would you hold the threaded rod in place to tighten it? (Or, more specifically, to loosen it, since it might just thread out of the Tnut if the top nut was being stubborn). At least with a machine screw you could depend on the head from allowing the nut to pull it out of the tnut.
The new bolt cut to length seems the easiest to me if you want the original look.... 6-32 bolts gotta be cheaper than threaded rod?
I think it's more disturbing that the threaded studs into Tnuts aren't available except vintage.... I don't think I changed too many of PF's over just Meteor and F2k (and various posts on Big Game that were snapped at a tournament). I know I also saved all the carriage bolts I removed as I'm a packrat.

To go with the threaded rod you would have to get some Loktite permanent style thread locker, cut your rod to length, and lock the nut on i.e. make your own post studs. The advantage, as I see it, is the threaded rod would always be able to be removed.

With the screw-from- bottom-method, you are always at risk of a nut getting rusted on and having to cut the post with a Dermel the same as with the carriage bolt that started this entire conversation.

A lot of my carriages bolts were trashed just because someone over torqued the nut on top of the post. Over-torquing blew out the threads on the nut and the bolt and there were no threads to unscrew with .

#3314 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Would a spot welder get a nut welded on a threaded rod solid enough or is it too thick? If one had a spot welder they'd be quick to produce.

Just get some of the red Loctite. It is cheap and will lock a nut onto a screw or bolt forever. Make your own studs.

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 6.46.54 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-25 at 6.46.54 PM (resized).png

#3336 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

HA, I JUST saw those yesterday and thought....weird are those new? nice! hope they work!
What nails are used on the side rails? like 1/2" twisted ones?

Here is a tip. Forget the nails. Get some #4 1/2" long stainless sheet metal screws. They look nice. It is long shot that you would ever need to remove the rail, but if you ever need to remove the rail you will be glad you used screws instead of nails.

I got the idea from HEP.

#3345 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

pan head, or flat head? I think the pop cap ones are flat head.. I have a few nails on my galaxy backing out and bent. figured I could pull those and tap or screw in replacements.

Semi-round head. About same size as a nail head. Screw several into a piece of wood and have ago with the buffer machine. They shine up nice.

IMG_3792 (resized).JPGIMG_3792 (resized).JPG

#3347 3 years ago

This probably would not have happened if I had not modified my pop caps, but still....

IMG_3800 (resized).JPGIMG_3800 (resized).JPG

IMG_3804 (resized).JPGIMG_3804 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#3354 3 years ago

I just had flipper coil start fluttering. One minute it was playing fine and the next minute it started fluttering. All the external wires are intact. Everything looks in order. I am going to replace the coil because I don't know what else can be the cause.

Question: Can flipper coils just go bad? If so, what would cause this to happen? Am I experiencing a break in the wiring on the hold coil wiring? Or could a diode have gone bad?

Thanks.

#3356 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yes, likely a break in the hold coil to the lug, most common, usually where it attaches, and it usually looks like it's still attached. Repairable but you have to sand the enamel coating off the wire and sometimes unwind it from the coil one wind to get some slack.

Thank you.

The replacement solved the problem. The hold wires do look like they are still attached. When I get some time, I'll desolder the lugs and have a better look.

#3360 3 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Need some advise.
We’ve been playing this Magic non-stop.
Give me your favorite playing classic Stern cause I think I’m hooked and I’ll be in the market for another very soon

Big Game if you get a chance to buy one. My favorite followed by Catacomb.

There are some Flight 2000s around.

Here are all your choices.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~lantra9jp1_nbn/gurudumps/Pinball_Manuals/stern.html

#3373 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I wanted to share mantisamusements latest achievement! After talking to Kerry and sending him a sample he has remade very nice reproduction of the Classic Stern lockdown bar receiver!
Just tried in on my Seawitch and it fits like a glove, great workmanship available in limited quantity on his store!
Too bad making reproduction lockdown bar isn't feasible!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That is cool. Solves half the problem. Pinball Life sells the Data East lockdown bar which is a prefect fit. It is just not stainless steel. You would have to powder coat it if you did not want black.

#3374 3 years ago

Another lock down bar option is this:

Pinball Life sells the Spooky Stainless lockdown bar. A couple of days ago I was told the Spooky lockdown bar is constructed to use a Williams style receiver. Pinball Life also sells the Williams, Bally, Jersey Jack Pinball lockdown receiver. I assume these two parts will fit each other but you would have to verify with Pinball Life.

#3377 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

You mean this one and this receiver?
https://www.pinballlife.com/spooky-lockdown-bar.html & https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-lockdown-bar-lever-guide-receiver-assembly-wpcwpc-95.html
I have always wondered the difference with the WMS/Bally one?
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-standard-size-stainless-steel-lockdown-bar-with-epoxied-under-carriage-circa-1990-1998.html
If I had to go non-standard, I assume I would go with Mantis Classic received with Pinball life Classic Bally bar

Classic Ballys and classic Sterns are different. It is the exact same bar but the locking part that is bonded on or spot welded on is different. Classic Sterns and Data East use the same locking mechanism.

So, I am thinking you could get this receiver and go with either the Williams bar, the Spooky bar, or the Bally bar. The Spooky bar has some round corners so the Bally bar would look most like the classic Stern bar. PBL would have to confirm my thoughts. Several months back this discussion came up and we were all made aware the Stern wide body bar would not interchange with a DE wide body bar due to different dimensions.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-lockdown-bar-lever-guide-receiver-assembly-wpcwpc-95.html

What I am saying is with this Williams hybrid bar looks like it might be the only option for anyone who cannot find a stainless classic Stern bar.

And what all this signifies is that the days of finding a lockdown bar for your classic Stern is not going to be a $30.00 affair anymore unless you find another of those Ebay auctions.

And since we are getting to the point where money is no object, you could buy 2 each of any of these bars, cut them in half and make a wide body bar just like Stern did for Big Game, F2K et al.

There are options. But there are no cheap options.

#3379 3 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

So on the subject of parts being interchangeable between manufacturers, can a Bally backglass locking mechanism be used in place of the Stern one? I assume that you’d have to change out the top trim piece on the backglass as well.
And secondly, are the backglasses the exact size dimensions, aside from thickness of some Bally back glasses? Nine Ball versus Paragon, for instance.
Edit... I found one of my answers here. Apparently they are the same size backglass.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-glass-sizes-backglass-sizes-request-for-measurements#post-4334512

That's strange. A while back someone said the Bally and Stern back glasses were not the same size.

The locking mechanisms are completely different and not interchangeable. But lately I have been thinking that Bally glass locker might be able to be modified to work on a Stern. Trouble is I do not have a Bally locker to try out.

#3386 3 years ago

A pinsider, HHaase, is making parts with his parts printer. He makes the coin door bezels. I bought 3 white ones for one of my pins and like the white so well that I am going to do all of my Sterns this way.

White is probably not the correct color, but all of mine original bezels are nicotine stained and look sort of ugly.

Here is before and after. The white really pops.

IMG_3908 (resized).JPGIMG_3908 (resized).JPG

IMG_3909 (resized).JPGIMG_3909 (resized).JPG

IMG_3910 (resized).JPGIMG_3910 (resized).JPG

IMG_3911 (resized).JPGIMG_3911 (resized).JPG

IMG_3913 (resized).JPGIMG_3913 (resized).JPG

#3391 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Right, the color copper plating has a layer a rust on it. Not really visible on the picture unfortunately but when comparing side by side with another lockdown bar it is pretty visible.
i wasn't sure if dipping everything in rust remover could react badly with the stainless steel. Looks like Evaporust is ok then? Time to find the right recipient and buy 1 Gal of the thing then

Go get yourself a pice of 4" PVC pipe and an end cap. You will also need the PVC glue. Glue the end cap on the pipe. This allows to to soak parts in a minimal amount of Evaporust.

Nothing much can hurt stainless steel.

EDIT: By using 4" PVC pipe, with one gallon of Evaporust, you can de-rust all of your crappy rusty legs.

#3395 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Should I protect the derusted copper finish with a satin clear?

Your choice.

#3404 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Transformer is 16B-3 not 16B-6, so it’s underpowered. Coin door is different and as mentioned above lockdown bar and receiver are different. You’ll spend a lot of time, effort and about $400 to find these three correct parts.
I’d suggest finding a rough Meteor or Galaxy to convert as these three components are correct in these two titles

I am of the opinion that the MPU-100 Sterns have the better lockdown bar and receiver assembly.

The MPU-100 bar has two ball sockets and two jam nuts. These ball sockets are adjustable so if your lockdown bar is a little loose you are able to adjust the position of the ball sockets to make them tighter or looser as needed.

The MPU-200 lockdown bar and receiver are of a slotted affair. No adjustment is possible. If your lockdown bar comes loose the only way you would be able to tighten is to remove the play field, plug some screw holes in the cabinet where the receiver is attached and then drill new holes to reset the receiver.

The only reason Stern made the move to the slotted bar/receiver assembly is cost reduction, IMO. The 2 ball sockets for the MPU-100 assembly are machined parts with machined threads. And the 2 jam nuts are a special design; You will not be buying any of these in the hardware store. In addition to this, the receiver plate on the bottom of the lock down bar has to also be tapped/threaded.

The slotted units saved a lot of work. On any production line of any size at all, looking for cost savings ( or pinching pennies ) is paramount.

If anybody has the ball and socket MPU-100 type and would like a slotted MPU-200 assembly, let me know I'll trade you straight across as long as you pay for the shipping.

The coin door is different and perhaps not as desirable, but all it takes is a re-wire job for about 8 wires. Not a slam dunk, but not too much effort is needed to make that conversion.

If you are going for a Star Gazer or a Quicksilver, you will get your play field wiring and backbox/displays harnesses from Shawn at Third Coast Pinball. And Shawn can probably easily make you a new cabinet wiring harness, as well. The speaker can be moved to the floor of the cabinet. Get a saber saw and cut a hole in the floor of the cab.

You probably need to replace and old crapped out, sagging floor anyway. Installing a new floor is not all that hard; You can locate the transformer anywhere you want.

Now, the only item you have left to find is the larger more powerful 16B-6 transformer. This will be your challenge. This fits in with bluespin saying to find a Meteor or Galaxy. My least liked MPU-200 Stern is Lightning.

Are you going to spend some money? Yes. You are. Get your checkbook out. If that bothers you, sell your pins and start collecting stamps as a hobby.

Galaxy = 5,130 produced

Meteor = 8,362 produced

Lighting = 2,350 produced.

Meteor is starting to climb in price a little bit.

#3407 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Did you use Bondo to fix the flaking corner of the black section on the side? This seems to be made from crappy MDF as well and I was thinking of replacing them but I am not sure how I would make a repro since they are not straight...

You can peel that substandard ( It is not MDF. It is more like fiberboard) material off with an oscillating cutter. Use one that you peeled off as a pattern to make replacements from wood planks you can buy from Home Depot or Lowes. It helps if you have some basic wood working tools like a clamping devise and a plane. Or maybe you could locate a millwright in your area that could cut you a pair for a reasonable price.

https://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-oscillating-multi-tool-63113.html

#3412 3 years ago
Quoted from China_Grove:

Going back to one of my previous post on plastic pop rings. When using the shapeway reproduction plastic rings with the data east pop bumper plastic bracket has anyone done this with the data east plastic thumper base? and if so, what diameter of hole or drill bit was used to widen the hole in the bracket(thumper base) so that the plastic rings can slide through the hole freely?
I would like to use plastic rings but also know drilling the hole out may weaken the hole for stability?? Or I can just use metal rings that fit through the hole.

I assume you are talking about this pop cap base mount? If so, the originals measure .320" dia. or 5/16" dia.

I also have some repros; They have enough meat that you can use the 5/16" drill to open them up without issue.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#3415 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

any advice on how best to restore real rusty plungers?
[quoted image]

If you don't have a buffing wheel, then sandpaper with 400 grit sandpaper. And maybe some 600 grit, too.

#3424 3 years ago

Obviously I know what the short and talls do!! But I’ve never seen the ribbed ones before and noticed most seawitches don’t seem to have them.
Were they more common on a different Stern game, or was this something an operator could get from Wico for a quick swap?
I truly don’t think this whole game was swapped by an operator so I think maybe at some point at the factory they used the ripped posted briefly

They are Williams posts, I think. I don't know which pins. They are tough to wax around.

https://www.pinballlife.com/pbl-300-0050-00-xx.html

PBL-300-0050-00-xx_300x300 (resized).jpgPBL-300-0050-00-xx_300x300 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3438 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

You can always shim it higher in the cab.

Quoted from hisokajp:

interesting, i'll have a close look and compare with the original one from another game.

vec-tor knows his stuff. Adjusting the nuts will probably work for what you need.

But if not, Go get a paint stir stick from the paint store. Stir stick wood makes good shims.

#3450 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFanatic:

Recently aquired a Stern Galaxy.
I would like to join as I'm going to do a restoration.
How and whom should I speak with?
[quoted image]

You are at the right place.

1 week later
#3459 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Thanks, for some reason, my looong text was deleted!!! Added another post below with helpful explanations.
Nate

Help us out. Tw of your pics are showing upside down. Click on your pic and you will see these blue dots. One let's you add you pic. Another one let's you delete your pic. And the dot in the middle let's you rotate your pin into proper rotation.

Robin is aware of this sideways pic action. No solution AFAIK.

#3463 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Started to tear the top side of the pf down....this kicker is broke. Is this a generic part I can use or is this a stern specific?
Pictures show my left one and broken right one

That style kicker is Stern specific. I you can get different style replacements. But you may have to adjust the placement of the new unit and drill some new holes

#3466 3 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

cotton
Do you happen to know if one from a Big Game is compatible?

AFAIK, all of the classic Sterns used the same sling kicker. I don’t know about Chicago Coin

#3472 3 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

I have a spare populated F2K playfield i can rob one off of. Pretty sure the kickers are identical.

From Meteor to Dragonfist, all of the sling kickers are the same.

#3473 3 years ago

This is one I did not see before. It could almost be direct replacement for the classic Sterns. But it is out of stock.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5818-00

#3474 3 years ago

As a close 2nd to the classic Stern kickers that are available to buy, I would probably go with this:

1) https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-bumper-crank-assembly.html

A-12664 V-Pad Assembly_300x160 (resized).jpgA-12664 V-Pad Assembly_300x160 (resized).jpg

2 ) https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-kicker-mounting-bracket.html.

a-17810 kicker bracket (resized).jpga-17810 kicker bracket (resized).jpg

The above bracket is almost like the bracket for the classic Sterns. The hole patten for one of the holes does not match the hole pattern of the Stern. So you have to fill a hole with some dowel rod and redial a new hole.

You also need some spring clips to hold the two pieces together

https://www.pinballlife.com/e-clips.html

20-8712-xx_300x64 (resized).jpg20-8712-xx_300x64 (resized).jpg

These E-clips are not the best choice. You would need to call Pinball Life and ask if they have any of the hairpin style clips.

The thing you want to keep in mind is that there is not too much difference between the kickers. On any pinball machine, the sling shots all use the same posts and the same rubbers. You can pretty much swap in any sling kicker set up you want.

There is a way to set the kicker assembly on a new play field for maximum action. If you are interested, ask.

#3478 3 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Interested! Doing a Flight 2000 playfield swap now. Thanks

There is not much, if anything, to it. Since you are doing a swap, all the better because you can have your play field laying flat with good access. All you need to do is set the kicker assembly into the slotted hole and then pivot the arm forward all the way and get it as close to the slotted hole without the arm touching the edge of the hole. Then mark your holes that you need to screw into. This will give you max travel when pivoting. Pay attention to make sure you are installing it into the hole on a straight plane; You don't want it sitting in the hole all cockeyed.

If you locate the kicker arm too far forward then it is going to crash into the edge of the play field/ slotted hole. If you set the assembly too far back it is not going to give you a good solid hit.

#3479 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You can, but they (subtlety) play differently, especially if you decide to swap a Bally linear sling mech (although who would do that? Most slots wouldn't accomodate that anyway).
I was lucky in outbidding marcospec about a decade ago on ebay for several NOS stern ones, which live happily in my playfield swaps and play great. The sling arms tend to wear in the holes with long use and you don't realize how sloppy it makes the sling action until you replace them with new - glad that Bally/Williams ones are still available new and wish the stern ones were as well.

You made a good buy.

Most of my wear has been on the pivot bracket. I was thrilled when I found this other bracket at Pinball Life. It is not quite like the Stern bracket so it needs a small mod to work with an original Stern kicker arm. I don't have time today, but its a couple of days I can put up a pic showing how it needs to be modded.

be43427f159fee1f32f4693ac884ced4a037d2b6 (resized).jpgbe43427f159fee1f32f4693ac884ced4a037d2b6 (resized).jpg
=========================
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5818-00

Last night, at first glance, I thought this out of stock unit work work for the classic Sterns. I found it for sale in Germany at $15.00 a pop. But it won't work because instead of pivot hole on the arm, this one has the pivot pin located on the arm which is backwards of what is needed.

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg
=============================

Now I am thinking that maybe Kerry at Mantis could tool up and make some of the classic Stern kicker arms to sell. I'll haver to ask him. Technically, I think he could do it but I don't know if there would be enough demand.

#3483 3 years ago

Looks like you already did a while back cottonm4! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/18#post-4798194
That said, I'd maybe be interested in some reproductions from Kerry depending on the price. I had to shoehorn a Bally arm into my Trident after one of my sling arms literally shattered in 3 places at once. It wasn't an easy fit nor ideal -- works though.

Thanks for finding that. I forgot all about it.

Price, as always, depends on how many people are interested buying.

Can we see a show of hands?

how many people want some replacement kickers? And how many do you want?

#3485 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

i would definitely be up for a few

how many is "a few"?

#3490 3 years ago

I’d probably be in for at least 4, maybe a couple more depending on the price. Would it make sense to have them remade to fit the existing brackets without having to do modifications (aside from the pf holes)?

Now you are talking about taking the time and money to do an engineering redesign. I’m not knocking you but that would take time and money. And there is already that bracket that works with a minor mod.

#3496 3 years ago

I have communicated with Kerry at Mantis. This morning I sent him a sample sling lever. Now we wait and see what he says he can do and for how much.

#3498 3 years ago

Thanks.

If we could get an economical fix for the transformers, with the classic Stern play fields being produced, and the back glasses, too, it is amazing to think of how many of these classic Sterns could be built up new.

#3502 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yup, I'd be down for a few to keep around.

Would it be feasible to swap in pf's of other sterns that use the same board sets? I wouldn't mind having another PF of a game to swap in and change things up. I do have all the alltek boards in now.

I don't see why you could not do that. But now you will have a Nine Ball with a Seawitch back glass.

#3504 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

did they place the displays in different locations for each game?

Yes. And Catacomb is a completely different animal.

#3513 3 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

I believe the nomenclature is “supposed” to be black (hot) to brown, blue (neutral) to white. But whats really important here is the orientation the line cord wires on the top side of the filter. Meaning if the blue is connected to the black wires in the cabinet harness, then the hot from the line cord needs to be connected to that side. Think black to black. White to white. The brown and blue wires coming off the filter are just bridging the gap so to speak.
I just did this when i replaced the line cord on my seawitch. I read vids guide and was confused as to why my wires were reversed to his. What i found was the wire with the ribbed insulation (which is how you identify which is which since original cords do not have black or white insulation) was connected to the opposite side as his, which meant they had to hook up the blue to the black wires, instead of the white. Someone had posted a comment in his thread with the exact same thing and it was suggested it was wired wrong at the factory (according to the color scheme). But my seawitch and F2K are like that so maybe Stern didnt agree with the standard wire color standards, but they are hooked up correctly regardless lol.
Here is the pic from Vid’s Guide[quoted image]

Can you please share Vid's link? I am having a little trouble locating it. Thanks.

#3543 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

anyone ever convert a flight 2000 over to big game? I have a fully populated BG playfield and access to a project flight. Just wanting to pick your brain for a second.

Go down and dirty, swap the F2K play field out and the Big Game play field in. Change out the MPU, and you are up and running.

The cab is the same.
The back box is the same.
The cab wiring is the same.
The coin door/wiring is the same.
The transformer should be the same.

Go for it.

#3546 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

The displays are in different locations so he’ll have to make a light board and he might have to lengthen the display wiring harness.
Do they both use the two sound board set up?

Quoted from woody76:

yea the credit and ball displays are for sure in different spots. I might could just cut a new light board. I think all the boards are the same.

What I was trying to say is that you can drop the BG play field in, get the MPU with the correct ROMs and play it with the F2K back box still on.

Also, Shawn at Third Coast Pinball makes the displays harness. But F2K and Big game are close enough that you can use the F2K displays harness in behind a Big Game back glass. Actually, you can use a Seawitch or Nine Ball harness in a Big Game; There is enough wire and slop in the wiring that you can do this. Will it look right if you open the back box up. No. But it will work.

I think F2K is speech enabled and uses the VSU-100 speech board,( not to be confused with the SB-300 sound board). Big Game does not have speech so Woody scores a VSU-100 speech board if it is still in the project machine. The VSU-100 uses a couple of jumper cables for hooking up to the lamp board. Disconnect the jumper cables and now you have a regular harness that connects to the LDA.

#3549 3 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

You will just be sans knocker.

Why is that?

#3551 3 years ago

Kerry at Mantis has received the Stern sling shot lever that I sent him. He is aware. We wait.

#3555 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Are there other/more parts we can try to get repro'd as well? They may not sell thousands, but with the popularity increase, now is a good time to ask and try!

Sure. The trick is getting enough people on board to make it worthwhile. I was working on possibly getting some brackets for Catacomb. At most, there were”commitments” for 10. This COVID hit and it all went up in smoke.

#3556 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

The displays are in different locations so he’ll have to make a light board and he might have to lengthen the display wiring harness.
Do they both use the two sound board set up?

Quoted from woody76:

yea the credit and ball displays are for sure in different spots. I might could just cut a new light board. I think all the boards are the same.

The displays position between Big Game and F2K are similar. BG has the credit display up top while Fk2 is down low.

IMG_4172 (resized).JPGIMG_4172 (resized).JPGIMG_4171 (resized).JPGIMG_4171 (resized).JPG

But there is enough extra wire in the F2K harness that it will work on BG without issue.

This is the F2K back rack harness at the credit display.

IMG_4166 (resized).JPGIMG_4166 (resized).JPG

Here is the same credit display wiring lifted up. There is enough wire there that the F2K back rack harness will sub for a BG harness with out issue.

IMG_4169 (resized).JPGIMG_4169 (resized).JPG

There is also enough wire for displays #2 and #4 that they can be moved around and also work on a Catacomb. I will assume the F2K harness will also work for Nine Ball and Seawitch but I have those 2 pins folded up right now and cannot verify.

IMG_4170 (resized).JPGIMG_4170 (resized).JPG

#3562 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yeah, I think you're right, the back side looks broke.
PBR sells the material in a strip to cut your own:
p/n: MAT-LINK @ http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html
PBL sells plunger w/links but is it the same as a stern flipper or williams one?
https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-plunger-link-assembly.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=plunger%20and%20link

Just buy a pair. Make sure you get the right length.

https://www.pinballlife.com/slingshotballshooter-plunger-and-link-2-18-plunger.html

https://www.pinballlife.com/slingshotballshooter-plunger-and-link-2-plunger.html

#3563 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

A fellow pinsider got me a replacement kicker arm for my galaxy, but after installing I realized the fiber joint section was odd and it wasn’t moving nicely.... are there ways to cut/template or replacement parts?
Right side with issue
[quoted image]
Left side without issue
[quoted image]
Edit: not sure what “stock” should be but the right side looks like the fiber was installed backward...and now it is kind of messed up

Your fiber is not installed backwards. The lever was not installed at optimum position at the factory. The lever and bracket have been install too bar inboard. The pivot point for the lever/fiber is way beyond the the axis of the plunger.

1) Reposition the lever bracket so the pivot point is directly under the plunger axis. You will get mush smoother plunger action

2) And get rid of that silly spring washer. It does not work like it is supposed to. You don't need it.

2f660c2f982f74a4c8efdb21d0c92ab05f186c66.jpeg (resized).jpg2f660c2f982f74a4c8efdb21d0c92ab05f186c66.jpeg (resized).jpg

#3574 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I'll order those for both kickers as the left one that is not broke

And now the ordering parts process begins. Lemme see, I don't want to pay $9.00 shipping for two $3.00 parts. So I will order some more stuff to spread the shipping cost. Oops. I just placed my order and I forgot to order this other part, too. I'll need to make another order. Lemme see, what else do I need....

Quoted from northvibe:

I'll back off the pivot and then align it straight! Thank you

Do it this way: Have your sling shot parts up to snuff with all working smoothly. Then move that kicker bracket around and manually operate the kicker and plunger. You will find a sweet spot where the kicker, plunger and link work smoothly at full travel. That's where you want to be. Do all of this with out that washer. Then put the washer back on if you wish.

#3579 3 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

I get the S plastic. And the in-lane plastics stop the ball from bouncing over. Does anyone have the drawings for these mods? What is MPU 200 flipper style?

This is the MPU 200 style flipper assembly. I cannot find a link to the MPU-100 style flipper assembly.

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

stn_assembly_300x256 (resized).jpgstn_assembly_300x256 (resized).jpg

#3585 3 years ago

Should I do it?

6,301 Flight 2000's were produced.

1,223 Cheetahs were produced.

All I need to do is get this Cheetah play field restored, buy a BG Resto Cheetah back glass, and build a Cheetah lamp board. Lamp boards can be made easy to swap.

1) Swap lamp boards

2) Swap MPUs

3) Put the Cheetah back glass in

4) Restore the play field

And BOOM. An F2K turns into a Cheetah---with a blue cabinet.

IMG_4184 (resized).JPGIMG_4184 (resized).JPG

IMG_4186 (resized).JPGIMG_4186 (resized).JPG

#3588 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Anyone else got big game In lanes that look like this
[quoted image]

I did not see what you were talking about at first. This BG has those little brackets in the sides that someone talked a couple of weeks ago about those brackets showing up on a sales flyer.

Can you give us some close up shots, please?

#3591 3 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Yes, Turn it. There's ton's of F2k's. I've parted a bunch before parts were available to restore.
[quoted image]

Well, it looks I am going to plan to bring Keith a Cheetah play field shortly. It was populated play field when I bought it. I have the wiring and everything to put this play field back together.

#3596 3 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Hey, Make sure you plan on heading this way and stop by if you go to Keiths.

Thank you. You saved me from inviting myself . I'm waiting to hear back to see when is a good time to bring the play field down.

#3597 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFanatic:

Cottonm4
What do you plan to do with the F2k playfield. I bought one and the field is somewhat beat.

I have not thought that far ahead. Send me a PM and so we can shake hands. You can have 1st dibs if I do this.

#3600 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Anyone else got big game In lanes that look like this
[quoted image]

One other thing I would like to hear about with this pin. When I bought my BG Resto repro Big Game back glass he sent me one made of 3/16" thick glass and claimed this is what his Big Game had.

I have owned 2 Big Games and I have several other classic Sterns and I have talked to pinside BG owners but no one has a 3/16" back glass. So I am curious what the glass on this one is like.

#3607 3 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Aside from a more finished look with what I believe is a different jet bumper housing, should I expect any jet bumper responsiveness difference between these two assemblies if the leaf switches are set to the same gap, new spoons, etc?

I would not think so.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 959.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ali
Poolville, TX
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
1,811 posts in this topic match your search for posts by cottonm4. You are on page 2 of 8.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/2?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.