Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240405-005315.png
EA70E31E-2F5E-4442-AD6A-52E3EE9F0EE4 (resized).png
D1AF8715-0F73-4521-B1DA-76DB9839041D (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,725 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 215.
#1201 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

All are now SOLD

Whoever bought the big game I may have a playfield for you. Feel free to reach out.

#1202 5 years ago

In 24 hours? Maybe I'm just used to the hyper-competitive Pittsburgh market but anything at a decent price in gone in minutes if not hours. A full day is unheard of!

TSS - What's the skinny on your Big Game PF?

#1203 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Whoever bought the big game I may have a playfield for you. Feel free to reach out.

Hey didn’t I talk to you about that playfield awhile ago?

#1204 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Any chance you might post some pics?
Seems to have garnered some interest.

#1205 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty much done with this thing. Turned out pretty nice.
I’m starting to see it chuckwart’s way. Game seems really easy. Just got 1.6 and two multiballs in one game.
Might be post-rippin’ time!!!
Anybody else find this one to be kind of easy? I have it on three ball and steep and I already opened up the outlanes as much as possible. I’m used to these old sterns being mean.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Adjust your flippers so they are inline with the inlanes. When they sag down like that, games are much easier from my experience. The ball nearly gets jai-alai'ed to where it needs to be. That left spinner shot to the ball walker is not easy, when set up properly. The right spinner and sweeping the targets is not easy either.

#1206 5 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Adjust your flippers so they are inline with the inlanes. When they sag down like that, games are much easier from my experience. The ball nearly gets jai-alai'ed to where it needs to be. That left spinner shot to the ball walker is not easy, when set up properly. The right spinner and sweeping the targets is not easy either.

Not a bad idea. They are currently set factory resting on the roll pins!

#1207 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not a bad idea. They are currently set factory resting on the roll pins!

Those pins are typically incorrect on most Sterns that I've seen / owned. Flippers shouldn't sag.

#1208 5 years ago

Got a nos stern pop bumper assembly today.

What games used a plastic ring and rod assembly.

20190306_173959 (resized).jpg20190306_173959 (resized).jpg20190306_174005 (resized).jpg20190306_174005 (resized).jpg
#1210 5 years ago

Nine ball, Quicksilver, stargazer, catacomb, viper, all have the fantastic plastics ring assembly

#1211 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

[quoted image][quoted image]

F2K and newer. It's actually a Wico part, much like a lot of the other parts Stern started to use as time went on.

#1212 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

All games post Seawitch, that was the last one with metal rings

#1213 5 years ago

Are the plastic rings avalible anywhere?

#1214 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Not for a long time. I think Bay Area had some but sold out a long time ago

#1215 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

If no longer available I have at least one of them new along with some other parts for those types of pop bumpers.

#1216 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

In 24 hours? Maybe I'm just used to the hyper-competitive Pittsburgh market but anything at a decent price in gone in minutes if not hours. A full day is unheard of!
TSS - What's the skinny on your Big Game PF?

Seriously? Someone in PA complaining about decent priced pins?
Look around the US & compare pricing & # of listings....

#1217 5 years ago

So cheetah doesnt use the plastic ones correct?

#1218 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

No, Cheetah also has plastic pops. I believe it was the first to have them.

#1219 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Quoted from kickabit:

Bummer. Haha

#1220 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Not for a long time. I think Bay Area had some but sold out a long time ago

Can you replace with the metal ones? As noted F2K uses these and I'd like to have a plan just in case.

#1221 5 years ago
Quoted from kickabit:

Can someone confirm this?

#1222 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Quoted from kickabit:

Agreed.

Cheetah was the first Stern to use the plastic pops.

Quoted from Winger03:

Can you replace with the metal ones? As noted F2K uses these and I'd like to have a plan just in case.

Yes. Can use metal rings. Not an issue.

Quoted from Mitch:

No. You can see the pics and the part numbers on PBR. But sold out alone time ago. The part numbers PBR has up are the Stern part numbers from the Stern parts manual. I don't know the Wico part number.

As Bluespin noted , Bay Area is sold out as, well.

#1223 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Can someone confirm this?

According to IPDB Seawitch was the game manufactured before Cheetah. I have never seen a Seawitch with plastic pops. Every Cheetah I’ve played has had plastic pops.

#1224 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Would you like to sell it

#1225 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Would you like to sell it

no way lol most of my sterns have broken or missing pop bumper pieces.

#1226 5 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Those pins are typically incorrect on most Sterns that I've seen / owned. Flippers shouldn't sag.

Well, hang on a minute. Those flippers on F2k aren't sagging, they sit lower for a reason. F2k is a widebody. You will find the same sort of flipper positioning on the classic Stern widebodies of that era. Players are supposed to be able to hit those outside shots. When you raise the flippers slightly, outside shots are harder and middle shots are easier and it is easier to catch the ball, too. Do what you want, raise the flippers or lower them, but those flippers sitting where they are isn't a mistake.

F2k is just an easy game, I blew mine up the first time I played it and sent it packing soon after.

#1227 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Well, hang on a minute. Those flippers on F2k aren't sagging, they sit lower for a reason. F2k is a widebody. You will find the same sort of flipper positioning on the classic Stern widebodies of that era. Players are supposed to be able to hit those outside shots. When you raise the flippers slightly, outside shots are harder and middle shots are easier and it is easier to catch the ball, too. Do what you want, raise the flippers or lower them, but those flippers sitting where they are isn't a mistake.
F2k is just an easy game, I blew mine up the first time I played it and sent it packing soon after.

This 100%. I set mine up level with the lane guides when I rebuilt them on freefall and it played terrible and you couldn't hit the left lane shot at all.

#1228 5 years ago
Quoted from kickabit:

According to IPDB Seawitch was the game manufactured before Cheetah. I have never seen a Seawitch with plastic pops. Every Cheetah I’ve played has had plastic pops.

My Big Game has metal and my Star Gazer has plastic, for what it’s worth.

#1229 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

See! Not always so cut and dry.

I’ll leave them as they are.

Also, I removed the rubber from outlane posts and the center post. Game is much better now. Scores down, but still a game of skill. Got a couple multiballs but certainly
Not every game.

If you are NEVER Getting multiball, I think your game is set too hard.

#1230 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If I played it regularly still, I’d say it was once every 30 games or so.

At the end of the day it’s almost blind luck getting the inner inlanes.

#1231 5 years ago

Split Second has plastic as does Dragonfist.

#1232 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

<consults the flyer for F2K> https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=887&picno=3671&zoom=1

You're right, Brian! However, I have mine set inline. The outside shots are much harder on mine, making F2K a hard frustrating game. Just achieving multiball on mine is a feat in itself. I just don't like sag. It looks wrong to me.

I apologize, Levi. Still, I would put them inline, and see if it's still easy for you.

#1233 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

See! Not always so cut and dry.
I’ll leave them as they are.
Also, I removed the rubber from outlane posts and the center post. Game is much better now. Scores down, but still a game of skill. Got a couple multiballs but certainly
Not every game.

Rarely getting multiball here. Outlane and center posts are stock. I'd rather multiball be difficult, because that was the crowning achievement of any early SS multiball game. The big goal was to get multiball. The only thing wrong with MB on F2K is what do you do when you have it?

#1234 5 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Rarely getting multiball here. Outlane and center posts are stock. I'd rather multiball be difficult, because that was the crowning achievement of any early SS multiball game. The big goal was to get multiball. The only thing wrong with MB on F2K is what do you do when you have it?

Profit. Left spinner all day and collect blastoff letters. The bonus x advance target also spots blast off letters. Goal is to be right back ready to start MB after your current MB drains.

#1235 5 years ago

Exactly - Start setting up the next MB and work those spinners. Like I noted earlier - if you're in MB - get that multiplier up and especially get that right spinner juiced to 2,500 and go crazy.

Also... I wasn't complaining about availability or prices in PA. I know we're lucky to have plenty of games come up within a few hour (or less) distance. But because of the groups and number of people here collecting - anything decently priced is literally gone in minutes. Case in point - a guy put up 3 System 3s for $800 - routed, but working and decent shape. Not bargain basement, but certainly a buyer friendly nice price similar to Brenna's. I called 22 minutes after posting and 2 of the 3 were already spoken for.

Hell, (and I say this as a proud owner) even the $1,000 Street Fighter was gone in under a day.

#1236 5 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

&lt;consults the flyer for F2K&gt; https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=887&amp;picno=3671&amp;zoom=1
You're right, Brian! However, I have mine set inline. The outside shots are much harder on mine, making F2K a hard frustrating game. Just achieving multiball on mine is a feat in itself. I just don't like sag. It looks wrong to me.
I apologize, Levi. Still, I would put them inline, and see if it's still easy for you.

Hey thanks, Jim! Those outside shots will definitely be harder on your game. Have you considered letting the flippers sit lower and stepping down your flipper coils instead? Stock F2k flipper coils take the 25-475/34-4500, maybe step it down to the 500?

#1237 5 years ago

Anyone know what part this is.

20190308_171612 (resized).jpg20190308_171612 (resized).jpg

#1238 5 years ago

Stolen from pinwiki:

3.19 Stern MAA-100 ROM Board
For the first Stern solid state game, Pinball, a ROM board was initially used. It was also used in Stingray, as Stingray has the same ROM set as Pinball.

This board was mounted to the backbox and a harness connected the board to the MPU board at the top connector J5.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

That is a cool piece of Stern history IMO. I'm sad my Stern Pinball didn't have that.

#1239 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

Stolen from pinwiki:
For the first Stern solid state game, Pinball, a ROM board was initially used. It was also used in Stingray, as Stingray has the same ROM set as Pinball.
This board was mounted to the backbox and a harness connected the board to the MPU board at the top connector J5.
That is a cool piece of Stern history IMO. I'm sad my Stern Pinball didn't have that.

Still have that board in mine but (before re-flowing the solder joints) it was the source of a lot of issues. Stern positioned this board just a couple inches above the knocker. I think they must have known vibration would be an issue because they added some redundancy (2 rows of pins when only one row would actually be used).

#1240 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just did that for Stars. Most were broken though.
F2K is a great game. Very rewarding multiball and hard as hell to get to.

I just wish there were actually more of a reward for getting multi-ball - would love someone to re-work the rule set.

#1241 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Hey thanks, Jim! Those outside shots will definitely be harder on your game. Have you considered letting the flippers sit lower and stepping down your flipper coils instead? Stock F2k flipper coils take the 25-475/34-4500, maybe step it down to the 500?

Hehe, this was a pile of parts assembled from different F2Ks all over the country (body came from COW, head from Troy North, PF from close to Erie, PA). The PF had the flippers missing, so I installed some pseudo (not Sterns, but made exactly like them) early Stern (flat flipper plate) and used 25-500 / 34-4500 Ballys in there.

#1242 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

I just wish there were actually more of a reward for getting multi-ball - would love someone to re-work the rule set.

Exactly! That is what I was saying. Get MB, and then what? Get more MB. I just wished it had a MB PF multiplier on the PF. 2x for 2 balls in play and 3x for 3 balls in play. It would give more incentive to keep all balls in play like a lot of early classic WMS games with MB.

#1243 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

Stolen from pinwiki:

Not stolen. Thanks for giving credit to PW. Most people don't. A lot of us have worked hard at making it what it is. It could be better. WMS 3-7 section and Classic Bally / Stern sections need revamped and organized much better, but it is a large undertaking.

#1244 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Like what? I think the rules are pretty great. Spinners are worth a ton, targets help you advance to next multiball when they didn’t before. Game doesn’t lock you out of progress to the next MB.

At least it does something. Most MBs from this era add multiple balls and that’s it. Nothing else is different. Haha

#1245 5 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Exactly! That is what I was saying. Get MB, and then what? Get more MB. I just wished it had a MB PF multiplier on the PF. 2x for 2 balls in play and 3x for 3 balls in play. It would give more incentive to keep all balls in play like a lot of early classic WMS games with MB.

Solid idea for playfield multiplier but you get that already essentially with the ridiculous left spinner value.

Those PF x rules didn’t come out until like sorcerer I don’t think.

#1246 5 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Nineball: Decent backglass and cabinet, playfield has typical wear in ball rack inserts, boards are missing. $1200 SOLD

It only took me a decade to find a nice all original Nine Ball & I thought I was splurging at $1900

#1247 5 years ago

Here are some 3D printed stern light baffles I made for Star Gazer. They might work on other machines too. If you have a 3D printer, you can use my files to print them. Both the large and small baffles used on SG.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2440510

Brian

#1248 5 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Here are some 3D printed stern light baffles I made for Star Gazer. They might work on other machines too. If you have a 3D printer, you can use my files to print them. Both the large and small baffles used on SG.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2440510
Brian

Not to take away from your work, but baffles, for us mere mortals, can be bought at Marco. Not cheap at $6 a pop so maybe there is some opportunity to make some coin with a 3-D printer.

#1249 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Not to take away from your work, but baffles, for us mere mortals, can be bought at Marco. Not cheap at $6 a pop so maybe there is some opportunity to make some coin with a 3-D printer.

Tis true, you can buy these, and pinball life is even selling 3D printed baffles themselves now. It's much cheaper then making a mold and injecting them. If you have the means, i wanted to provide the file for people to use. Most city libraries are getting 3D printers installed for persons to use also.
There are also print services that use local printer owners to print them for you. 3Dhubs I believe.
Once you have a source, you could print these in any color you want. Too match the color scheme of the back glass area.
Brian

#1250 5 years ago
Quoted from bpull:

Tis true, you can buy these, and pinball life is even selling 3D printed baffles themselves now. It's much cheaper then making a mold and injecting them. If you have the means, i wanted to provide the file for people to use. Most city libraries are getting 3D printers installed for persons to use also.
There are also print services that use local printer owners to print them for you. 3Dhubs I believe.
Once you have a source, you could print these in any color you want. Too match the color scheme of the back glass area.
Brian

Cool. I’ll have check my local library.

Is this 3-D skill hard to learn? The pin hobby has already overloaded my learning plate.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodstock, GA
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,725 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.