20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 215.
#851 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Was a bad capacitor, thanks for all those who answered.

Many thanks for posting the solution. Every little bit helps.

#852 5 years ago

Congrats on the new addition to the family. You have about 50 children now according to my calculation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#853 5 years ago

Looking to buy original classic stern Manuals for my games if anyone has any for sale.

#854 5 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I have a flawless magic glass and a flatbed scanner if needed for the art.

Ask John if he can work with a scan. Hopefully he can make them.

#855 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Many thanks for posting the solution. Every little bit helps.

I bought 100 caps and I usually just replace them all. Super cheap and easy to do. Gives all the switches a fresh new start!

#856 5 years ago

Still looking for original stern spinners also, even my stargazer came with a wrong one on it.

#857 5 years ago

We are talking. Will see if scan & art files can be done. For anyone who can help out 200 dpi or better. Color file, white file (use a non used color, easy one since it is everything except bare glass, & can be color file as template), & gray blocking file. I compensate for art coming my way that goes into production!

#858 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Well here it is. One of the few remaining games on my wanted list.
Did a 11 hour round trip today and 1000 km (600 miles) but she is home with me.
Needs a playfeild and backglass both rough.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice pickup Mitch! Very jealous.

#859 5 years ago

Anyone know the part number for the L-bracket that holds the ball guides to the playfield on Trident (and I'm sure many other games)? Image for reference.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 4.38.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-14 at 4.38.51 PM (resized).png
#863 5 years ago

I guess Mitch is going to Montreal for a road trip

#864 5 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

I guess mitch is going to Montreal for a road trip

I wish I'm broke right now.

#865 5 years ago

Looking for the spinning bumper assemblies on Orbitor 1, or any parts and pieces, I'd even rebuild a broken one.

Any and all help appreciated!

Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “Looking for complete OR partial spinning bumper assemblies. Doesn’t have to work, I am willing to completely rebuild a broken one. Finding TWO of these is impossible. My Orbit...”
2019-06-23
Saratoga Springs, NY
Wanted
Archived after: 67 days
Viewed: 325 times

#866 5 years ago

How fast do these bumper assemblies spin. What RPM? Would it be possible to buy a couple of high RPM motors, machine some brackets and machine the bumper part from hard rubber?

What about a motor from a Skil Saw. They are high speed with fast start up. They are continuous duty motors. And they have a threaded shaft.

#867 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Looking for the spinning bumper assemblies on Orbitor 1, or any parts and pieces, I'd even rebuild a broken one.
Any and all help appreciated!

Parts - Wanted
Orbitor 1 Spinning BumpersNew!Wanted! “Looking for complete OR partial spinning bumper assemblies. Doesn’t have to work, I am willing to completely rebuild a broken one.
Finding TWO of these is impossible.

My Orbit...”
12 hours ago Saratoga Springs, NY
Wanted
Isochronic_Frost

I pm'd you with some collector (hoarder) leads and some Facebook groups to try. Good luck.

#868 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How fast do these bumper assemblies spin. What RPM? Would it be possible to buy a couple of high RPM motors, machine some brackets and machine the bumper part from hard rubber?
What about a motor from a Skil Saw. They are high speed with fast start up. They are continuous duty motors. And they have a threaded shaft.

there is some kind of PCB attached to them for the switch matrix.

#869 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

They have an optic assembly on the underside that senses when the ball impacts the bumper and slows it down. I'd have to double check the RPM, it's a bit complicated, unfortunately

#870 5 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I pm'd you with some collector (hoarder) leads and some Facebook groups to try. Good luck.

I saw this and my PM must not have gone through, thanks!

#871 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That kind of velocity might put the ball into actual, uh, orbit!

#872 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

They have an optic assembly on the underside that senses when the ball impacts the bumper and slows it down. I'd have to double check the RPM, it's a bit complicated, unfortunately

This is a R-E-A-L long shot. Steve, at PBR told me one time that he knows the old timers from the industry. So when he needs some springs made up he calls the guy that used to make the springs. Stuff like that.

When I first did biz with him for my Big Game he commented negatively on the quality of Stern Electronics products. As I gained experience had some closer looks at some Gottlieb pins I could see what he was talking about.

He knows people. He might know who made those Orbitor motors.

You might try putting on your best ass kissing voice you can muster and give him a call---perhaps after you bought a few dollars worth of parts from him. The active phrase in that sentence is "ass kissing voice". Sort of like somebody approaching the Godfather and asking for a favor

#873 5 years ago

Looking for the Classic Stern part number for yellow arrow insert used in Seawitch & other pins. Need it to try to get Foremost Plastics to produce.

#874 5 years ago

Was playing some Meteor tonight and had a thought. I wonder if it would somehow be possible to save 4 high scores instead of just one. Anyone ever seen the code edited to do something like that? One score for each of the 4 displays.....

#875 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Was playing some Meteor tonight and had a thought. I wonder if it would somehow be possible to save 4 high scores instead of just one. Anyone ever seen the code edited to do something like that? One score for each of the 4 displays.....

I haven't seen it, but it would be possible. You'd have to give up some audits to make room in the CMOS for additional high scores and you'd have to remove all associated routines from the code that reference the audits you just 86'd. May not be as big a deal for Stern vs. Bally since the MPU-200 has double the amount of CMOS RAM, but I don't know.

#876 5 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for the "Stern" coin door decal?

#878 5 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Anyone know the part number for the L-bracket that holds the ball guides to the playfield on Trident (and I'm sure many other games)? Image for reference.
[quoted image]

THere is no part number for the L-bracket. The manual will give you a part number for the ball guide assembly.

Pinball Resource has several old Stern ball guides you can buy and salvage the angle brackets if you want to.

This link: Scroll down about 35 items from the top.

http://www.pbresource.com/special.html

#880 5 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Both game are sold and gone!

Same person buy both?

#881 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Same person buy both?

Yes

#882 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

You can make ANY classic Stern/Bally/Williams/Gottlieb/etc.. play this way (SS or EM) if you really take the time to shop everything properly, crank the levelers up, omit a few posts and wax it up to a mirror finish.
Even the supposed “pedestrian” Galaxy can become an unrollable tourney killer if the above is done.
This is why the classics are called “classics”, and why owners of said classics (in this case Stern) are reluctant to sell.
Pure Pinball bliss.

hell yes

#883 5 years ago

Hate to say this, but after playing these classic Sterns, when I go back to the Ballys from the same era...I'm getting disappointed with them. Centaur and Fathom are still great, but getting bored with my Viking, Medusa, and Supersonic.

Hmm....

#884 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Hate to say this, but after playing these classic Sterns, when I go back to the Ballys from the same era...I'm getting disappointed with them. Centaur and Fathom are still great, but getting bored with my Viking, Medusa, and Supersonic.
Hmm....

Mind getting a little more specific?
What do you like about the Sterns?
What is disappointing about the Bally's?
Inquiring minds want to know.

#885 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Hmm....

Eh, Medusa is amazing. I will buy it if you are selling.

#886 5 years ago

I picked up a f2k in August and just grabbed a sbm last week.
I find myself playing those 2 a lot more than my Gotg pro
I got in june. Really liking my classic ss pins. Spinners galore

#887 5 years ago

Can someone please verify if this wiring is correct into my line filter??? I need to replace the power cord, and I'm not sure the wiring is correct.

I saw Pinsider Vid's posts about replacing power cords, and using his diagram for classic Bally machines, mine looks like the colored wires coming out of the bottom are reversed, and the two (hot and neutral) lines soldered to the right and left tabs look to be reversed also???

powerin (resized).jpgpowerin (resized).jpg
#888 5 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

I picked up a f2k in August and just grabbed a sbm last week.
I find myself playing those 2 a lot more than my Gotg pro
I got in june. Really liking my classic ss pins. Spinners galore

I know what F2K is but you got me with “sbm”. I’ll probably feel stupid but what is sbm?

#889 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I know what F2K is but you got me with “sbm”. I’ll probably feel stupid but what is sbm?

Silverball Mania

#890 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

but what is sbm?

Silverball Mania

#891 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Eh, Medusa is amazing. I will buy it if you are selling.

Interested in moving your Defender? I have a nice Medusa.....

#892 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Can someone please verify if this wiring is correct into my line filter??? I need to replace the power cord, and I'm not sure the wiring is correct.
I saw Pinsider Vid's posts about replacing power cords, and using his diagram for classic Bally machines, mine looks like the colored wires coming out of the bottom are reversed, and the two (hot and neutral) lines soldered to the right and left tabs look to be reversed also???
[quoted image]

In the "international" wire code brown is the "Line" and blue is the neutral. In the USA black is the Line and white is the neutral. Looks like in the picture brown is connected to white so it's been reversed. However, I believe those line filters are symetrical so in the end it really doesn't matter - electrically. Best to make it right since you are replacing the power cord anyway.

#893 5 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. If I switch the brown and blue wires I should also switch the plug wires also correct?

#894 5 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

Interested in moving your Defender? I have a nice Medusa.....

Yeah, I don’t think so. That’s not an even trade.

#895 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Thanks for the clarification. If I switch the brown and blue wires I should also switch the plug wires also correct?

I haven't read Vid's power cord thread but the narrow blade on the plug, which is the Line side) should connect to the filter on the same side as the brown wire.

#896 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Yeah, I don’t think so. That’s not an even trade.

Well wouldn't have to be straight up and depends how nice the games are in comparison really anyway. The Medusa I have is super nice, great backglass and the playfield just has insignificant wear showing in a couple really small spots. Tha cab is the worst part of it and shows some rub wear, nothing a stencil/paint redo wouldn’t fix to make it really CQ. I was kinda just joking about it, but if you have interest, pm me....

#897 5 years ago

Classic Stern slingshot hardware...

The pivot for your sling shot arms is probably worn out. It is not causing you any real problems. Your sling arm is still going to kick the ball across the play field, but when you get jumpy about replacing worn parts you do have an option.

Your sling arms:

IMG_9419 (resized).JPGIMG_9419 (resized).JPG

And the pivot>

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 12.05.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-21 at 12.05.47 PM (resized).png

Here is what the assembly looks like when the pivot is worn out. Years of playing has taken its toll on the pivot shaft and lots of metal has disappeared .

IMG_9392 (resized).JPGIMG_9392 (resized).JPG

The fix is to replace the pivot bracket assembly. And you have options.

The pivot I pictured is not an original Stern unit. It is a replacement from Pinball Life.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-kicker-mounting-bracket.html

Here is what you do. My worn out Stern pivot is on the left. When you compare the two pivots side by side, you will see the replacement pivot is shorter than the original. The holes are in different positions. The hole with the arrow drawn next to it is the only hole that matches the original pivot.

Because the replacement is shorter it causes interference with the kicker arm. To correct this problem you have to grind material from the pivot as you can see in my comparison pic.

IMG_9414 (resized).JPGIMG_9414 (resized).JPG

Next, using some dowel rod you will need to fill in two holes in your play field where the original pivot mounted. Then you screw the replacement pivot to your play field with the one screw hole that matches. Make double sure you have the pivot line up correctly. Then drill two new replacement holes and screw the pivot down to make sure you did everything right.

Your sling arms are fastened to the pivot with a spring clip. I don't know if you can tell in the pic but the shaft the arm attaches to is shorter than the original. To compensate, you will need to file material from your sling arm so it can be clipped on the new pivot shaft.

I could not get the lighting right but I think you can see how one pivot point is shorter than the other. You have to take your time. You don't want to file off more material then you need to but you also need to file enough off that you can replace the spring clip so it does not bind the arm to the pivot.

IMG_9398 (resized).JPGIMG_9398 (resized).JPG

When you are finished you will have a sling arm assembly this is a lot more solid with better alignment.

IMG_9394 (resized).JPGIMG_9394 (resized).JPG

#898 5 years ago

my old stern had worn pivots also, the pin was worn more than the sleeve. I took a different approach and my mod allowed me to do fine adjustments with the nut to not allow the arm to rock on the new pin (bolt).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lectronamo-rebuild/page/7#post-4602455

#899 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Classic Stern slingshot hardware...
The pivot for your sling shot arms is probably worn out. It is not causing you any real problems. Your sling arm is still going to kick the ball across the play field, but when you get jumpy about replacing worn parts you do have an option.
Your sling arms:
[quoted image]
And the pivot>
[quoted image]
Here is what the assembly looks like when the pivot is worn out. Years of playing has taken its toll on the pivot shaft and lots of metal has disappeared .
[quoted image]
The fix is to replace the pivot bracket assembly. And you have options.
The pivot I pictured is not an original Stern unit. It is a replacement from Pinball Life.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-kicker-mounting-bracket.html
Here is what you do. My worn out Stern pivot is on the left. When you compare the two pivots side by side, you will see the replacement pivot is shorter than the original. The holes are in different positions. The hole with the arrow drawn next to it is the only hole that matches the original pivot.
Because the replacement is shorter it causes interference with the kicker arm. To correct this problem you have to grind material from the pivot as you can see in my comparison pic.
[quoted image]
Next, using some dowel rod you will need to fill in two holes in your play field where the original pivot mounted. Then you screw the replacement pivot to your play field with the one screw hole that matches. Make double sure you have the pivot line up correctly. Then drill two new replacement holes and screw the pivot down to make sure you did everything right.
Your sling arms are fastened to the pivot with a spring clip. I don't know if you can tell in the pic but the shaft the arm attaches to is shorter than the original. To compensate, you will need to file material from your sling arm so it can be clipped on the new pivot shaft.
I could not get the lighting right but I think you can see how one pivot point is shorter than the other. You have to take your time. You don't want to file off more material then you need to but you also need to file enough off that you can replace the spring clip so it does not bind the arm to the pivot.
[quoted image]
When you are finished you will have a sling arm assembly this is a lot more solid with better alignment.
[quoted image]

Nice write up, thanks

#900 5 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

my old stern had worn pivots also, the pin was worn more than the sleeve. I took a different approach and my mod allowed me to do fine adjustments with the nut to not allow the arm to rock on the new pin (bolt).
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lectronamo-rebuild/page/7#post-4602455

That's a nice solution to this problem. Trouble for me is I read that post you started and even mades some comments and I somehow blew right past your fix.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 959.00
Machine - For Sale
Crystal Lake, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.