Topic Stats

• 2,419 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by hisokajp
  • Topic is favorited by 102 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 727 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6154 (resized).JPG
IMG_20191027_184835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2269 (resized).JPG
IMG_2268 (resized).JPG
IMG_2267 (resized).JPG
IMG_2266 (resized).JPG
IMG_2264 (resized).JPG
IMG_2230 (resized).JPG
IMG_2234 (resized).JPG
IMG_2231 (resized).JPG
IMG_2232 (resized).JPG
20191021_162604.jpg
IMG_20191019_134829986 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
IMG_20191020_174420 (resized).jpg
Stern_Galaxy_solenoids.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2419 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 49.
#801 10 months ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Send me a message next time your in the area. I’m always willing to open up if I’m around.

Thanks! We were just down for a couple of days: 500 mile road trip to pick up a smartball table in East Haven, and to get our fix we stopped in at Barcade in New Haven. Our big mistake was staying at the Red Lion in Cromwell. What a disaster. Maybe my favourite CT moment: Ate my first hot buttered lobster roll ever at Sam the Clam - now that was something! I might come back just for that.

#802 10 months ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Thanks! We were just down for a couple of days: 500 mile road trip to pick up a smartball table in East Haven, and to get our fix we stopped in at Barcade in New Haven. Our big mistake was staying at the Red Lion in Cromwell. What a disaster. Maybe my favourite CT moment: Ate my first hot buttered lobster roll ever at Sam the Clam - now that was something! I might come back just for that.

I work in Branford. Right next to east haven. Bummer we didn’t cross paths.

#803 10 months ago

My Sterns are loaded up with these obsolete .05 M 100v capacitors. What is a good substitute? What is a good substitute that does not cost an arm and a leg?

And where do you buy them?

IMG_9245 (resized).JPG

#805 10 months ago

listed 50v

#806 10 months ago

I learned something today that I thought I would share. I imagine some of you know this already but if you are using on altek board in a Stern 200 game you must change the clock setting jumpers over to the left side or else the machine does not play right. everything is slow. That was new to me and fixed my problem perfectly!

#807 10 months ago
Quoted from atariaction:

I learned something today that I thought I would share. I imagine some of you know this already but if you are using on altek board in a Stern 200 game you must change the clock setting jumpers over to the left side or else the machine does not play right. everything is slow. That was new to me and fixed my problem perfectly!

Ive switched over to using the weebly boards...

#808 10 months ago

I ran into that trouble shooting an original MPU-200 with Split Second... Was switching the Altek in from a strikes n spares to test some functionality.

Also made the move to Weebly. Great product, better price, and great support. I had some weird sound issues with his MPU that he helped me shoot through

tl;dr - I originally ordered it for a Big Game, but ended up testing it in F2K... there was a trace that wasn't populated that is needed for voice on MPU-200 games, and he offered me full shipping costs to return the board for a new one or to help me do the trace. I said board work was no issue and he returned with detailed pictures/instructions anyone could have followed. Highly recommended, solid dude.

#809 10 months ago

Hey guys. I actually also have switched over to Weebly boards but I like to have on altek on hand so that I can troubleshoot it in any old Bally or Stern but I like the Weebly board action as well.

#810 10 months ago
Quoted from statictrance:

I ran into that trouble shooting an original MPU-200 with Split Second... Was switching the Altek in from a strikes n spares to test some functionality.
Also made the move to Weebly. Great product, better price, and great support. I had some weird sound issues with his MPU that he helped me shoot through
tl;dr - I originally ordered it for a Big Game, but ended up testing it in F2K... there was a trace that wasn't populated that is needed for voice on MPU-200 games, and he offered me full shipping costs to return the board for a new one or to help me do the trace. I said board work was no issue and he returned with detailed pictures/instructions anyone could have followed. Highly recommended, solid dude.

Is that trace only populated if you tell him it’s for a game with speech? Or was that something in the last that has changed?

#811 10 months ago
Quoted from atariaction:

One of my Stern 200s was bought from a retailer and shipped in. The shop owner said he had to play test it before before I could buy. He finally gave a thumb's up and I had it shipped across the country.

I set up and plugged in. That pin was dog slow. I'm thinking about what kind of mess I had got myself into. The flippers were weak. The pops could barely push the ball. All of the feature lights were flickering. I had forgot about those Alltek jumper pins. I spent quite a while trouble shooting the problem and then remembered about moving those jumpers. Sure enough, the retailer and his mechanics overlooked the jumpers. When I repositioned them the pin sprung to life.

That was a close call. The retailer knowingly sent something substandard out the door for primo price. It if had been something more serious. I would have never gotten my money back.

#812 10 months ago

For me, there are even more reasons to use Weebly boards. For Bally rom hacks and rom testing, it is a great tool as well.

#813 10 months ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

For me, there are even more reasons to use Weebly boards. For Bally rom hacks and rom testing, it is a great tool as well.

A big benefit these days is the ability to use custom roms as well.

#814 10 months ago

If you guys haven't seen Weebly now has an all in one board similar to Altek and cheaper. A friend just informed me yesterday, check it out!
https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html
https://nvram.weebly.com/uploads/5/4/2/5/54255141/mpu_combo_info-12.01.18.pdf

#815 10 months ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I just purchased and installed the https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1055-nvramweeblycom/01281-new-universal-bally-stern-replacement-mpu- in my Stars.

Another reason I went with nvram.weebly is because of the use of through-hole components allowing me to easly repair later if needed. I can also set for free-play and use it to test with in many other machines.

Couldn't be happier, works great!

#816 10 months ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Another reason I went with nvram.weebly is because of the use of through-hole components allowing me to easly repair later if needed.

Does Altek not offer this?

#817 10 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

If you guys haven't seen Weebly now has an all in one board similar to Altek and cheaper. A friend just informed me yesterday, check it out!
https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html
https://nvram.weebly.com/uploads/5/4/2/5/54255141/mpu_combo_info-12.01.18.pdf

That is awesome! I think I should buy a few!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#818 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Altek is more expensive. Other than that Altek is good to go as well.

#819 10 months ago

I'm going to be needing some boards in near future.

The Weebly products look interesting and pricing is more friendly. And I know barakandi is a pinsider.

Alltek boards have the lifetime guarantee. Does that lifetime guarantee make the Alltek products worth the extra money?

What kind of warranty do the Weebly products have?

#820 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm going to be needing some boards in near future.
The Weebly products look interesting and pricing is more friendly. And I know barakandi is a pinsider.
Alltek boards have the lifetime guarantee. Does that lifetime guarantee make the Alltek products worth the extra money?

Don't know about guarantee but weebly has been incredibly helpful with support via PM or email any time I have used his products. Faster response than any other pinball product or company I have dealt with.

#821 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I've NEVER had anything made by Andrew fail. Having said that, I have known him to stand behind his products. I would PM him or email him directly regarding warranty questions.

#822 10 months ago
Quoted from atariaction:

Altek is more expensive. Other than that Altek is good to go as well.

I understand that, I just don't want something inferred if it ins't true.

#823 10 months ago

Is that trace only populated if you tell him it’s for a game with speech? Or was that something in the last that has changed?

From talking to him, it was an older revision MPU board. I guess someone else had the same issue and he had already fixed it in his latest revisions. When he designed the board, he looked at the schematic and didn't see any use for the trace, so it was left off the original design. Since I was getting it for a Big Game that didn't have speech, he sent one of the older boards.

I didn't save the Email off hand and it was a few months ago, so I don't remember which trace it is - but if anyone ever runs into the issue and needs, I can pull my board and look at my trace.

#824 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They offer multiple game selection as well, but they also use surface mount components.

Quoted from cottonm4:

In my communication with him, barakandi said he stands behind his products pretty much for life, as long as they haven't been hacked up or poorly resoldered.

#825 10 months ago

I fixed this missing trace around June 2018, all boards past version eight or so will have this track and will work with Stern Speech. If you are unsure look by the J4 plug. If there is a pin silk screened labeled LAMP INT then it is ready for Stern games with speech. If the silk screen print LAMP INT is not by J4 then a jumper will need to be made for Stern Speech games.

When I originally did the board I saw "LAMP INTERRUPT" on the mpu200 schematic and though "huh, no reason the lamp board interrupts the MPU so I can leave this out". That was a mistake and the lamp interrupt is what triggers the speech card to read the lamp address/data to play speech. Only effected the few Stern games with speech.

#826 10 months ago

I had a minor issue with an Alltek board and it was replaced immediately with the latest revision. I've purchased a ton of his boards for MPU, SDU, and lamp driver and only had that one minor issue that was immediately resolved. Weebly gs Ben my go-to for rectifier boards as it saves me a few bucks with the roll-your-own option. You can't go wrong with either company as far as I'm concerned.

#827 10 months ago

Does anybody have classic stern lockdown hardware looking for a home? My Stars has the lockdown bar with the round pegs but no locking hardware. PM me with your monetary demands!

#828 10 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I fixed this missing trace around June 2018, all boards past version eight or so will have this track and will work with Stern Speech. If you are unsure look by the J4 plug. If there is a pin silk screened labeled LAMP INT then it is ready for Stern games with speech. If the silk screen print LAMP INT is not by J4 then a jumper will need to be made for Stern Speech games.
When I originally did the board I saw "LAMP INTERRUPT" on the mpu200 schematic and though "huh, no reason the lamp board interrupts the MPU so I can leave this out". That was a mistake and the lamp interrupt is what triggers the speech card to read the lamp address/data to play speech. Only effected the few Stern games with speech.

Great to know. I think I’m around 16 classic sterns right now. Gotta be rocking 8-10 of these boards at this point. Keep 47 games going at The Sanctum too I’ve started keeping some of these on hand for quick swap outs

-Jim

#829 10 months ago

Do the weebly boards support free play for sterns?

#830 10 months ago

Nice! They do have free play. I may have to get one.

#831 10 months ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

Nice! They do have free play. I may have to get one.

All the MPU100 (and Bally)games have free play which you can turn on/off by a dip switch setting.

The MPU200 games have an alternate ROM that is always free play.

#832 10 months ago

I am having a problem with the right sling on my lightning pinball. It works in test but does not work during game play. Sometimes it may ghost work and activate when not struck by the ball. I am not a repair person and any information will be conveyed to my pinball repairman, so forgive me if I cant answer any questions as to what has been tried already but we believe that it may be a faulty cap.

#833 10 months ago
Quoted from jkashani:

I am having a problem with the right sling on my lightning pinball. It works in test but does not work during game play. Sometimes it may ghost work and activate when not struck by the ball. I am not a repair person and any information will be conveyed to my pinball repairman, so forgive me if I cant answer any questions as to what has been tried already but we believe that it may be a faulty cap.

Sounds like sling switch is gapped too close. Possibly touching. If a vibration happens(flipper etc) it causes the switch to open momentarily and fire again. Check that first. Check the switch edges in switch test.

#834 10 months ago

barakandl Any chance of making SB-100 sound boards too? Always a pain.

#835 10 months ago
Quoted from jkashani:

The thin metal bars just inside the slingshot rubbber should be close to the rubber but not touching. It sounds like they are touching, or they are so close that when the cabinet is touched lightly it makes the rubber touch the metal bar and fires the slingshot coil. Bend the metal bars a little bit away from the rubber. This should solve the problem.

#836 10 months ago

barakandl Any chance of making SB-100 sound boards too? Always a pain.

Chances are good. Right now time to work on new projects is limited. I am hand assembling everything still and I can hardly keep up with what I am currently doing.

For the SB100 I finished the schematic about a year ago and did the board layout over 3-6 months back. It is a rough layout that needs tweaking for sure. Also pretty sure there is going to be some surprises and revisions needed. There was so many schematic errors in the original SB100 drawings I am not sure I have found them all.

For those taking notes... here at the errors on the SB100 schematic identified so far (some of these discovered by others and I thank them).

- Q1 emitter (top of C18) is connected to +5V VDD (schematic does not show any 5V connection)
- U6 Q output is pin 3, not pin 13 (the flip flop in the sound effect section)
- Pin 25 on the J1 connector (reset line) is not connected to anything (rev C-1)
- U19 (LM556) power pin is not connected to VCC, it's connected to +5V VDD (from the 78L05)
- R11 power is connected to +5V VDD
-inconsistent 5v labeling
-4013 U9A P6 "channel one set" not drawn anywhere. Probably gnd (yes?)
-U6 is connected to +VDD, not +VCC
-R3 and R7 are connected to +VDD

Rough board layout rendering attached...

sb100 top render (resized).png
#837 10 months ago

Forgot to post but over the last couple of weeks i bought my first two classic stern machines Nugent and Dracula.

20181226_171234 (resized).jpg20190106_114312 (resized).jpg
#838 10 months ago

Those games are both a lot of fun. Underated for certain.

#839 10 months ago

Weebly boards are awesome.

#840 10 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Chances are good. Right now time to work on new projects is limited. I am hand assembling everything still and I can hardly keep up with what I am currently doing.
For the SB100 I finished the schematic about a year ago and did the board layout over 3-6 months back. It is a rough layout that needs tweaking for sure. Also pretty sure there is going to be some surprises and revisions needed. There was so many schematic errors in the original SB100 drawings I am not sure I have found them all.
For those taking notes... here at the errors on the SB100 schematic identified so far (some of these discovered by others and I thank them).
- Q1 emitter (top of C18) is connected to +5V VDD (schematic does not show any 5V connection)
- U6 Q output is pin 3, not pin 13 (the flip flop in the sound effect section)
- Pin 25 on the J1 connector (reset line) is not connected to anything (rev C-1)
- U19 (LM556) power pin is not connected to VCC, it's connected to +5V VDD (from the 78L05)
- R11 power is connected to +5V VDD
-inconsistent 5v labeling
-4013 U9A P6 "channel one set" not drawn anywhere. Probably gnd (yes?)
-U6 is connected to +VDD, not +VCC
-R3 and R7 are connected to +VDD
Rough board layout rendering attached...[quoted image]

This is great news to hear. If I can be of any help let me know. Plenty of test games here for that one.

#841 10 months ago

Great Pinball Limited, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Classic Stern Glass 2019 Sales each glass title: Price on Ebay is $300 US + $50 US shipping USA. Private sales are $250 US + $50 US shipping.

If you are a previous customer of backglass (Star Gazer, Seawitch, Nineball, Catacomb, Lightning, & Iron Maiden)  or playfield (Star Gazer & Seawitch). $225  US + $50 US shipping. On the honor system of backglass made by Great Pinball. Can be purchased in the past from me (Great Pinball), Ebay, Marco Specialties, or with a private seller (can be with a pinball machine sale, or part sale).

If you order 2 or 3 Stern backglass in the same box. You can get a further $25 US off the cost of all backglass. Shipping total will remain at $50 US per box, & I will absorb the rest. 

Paypal: johngreatwich@outlook.com
Please include your phone number & email with paypal. Along with the glass title. If this info is missing I will contact you, as it is needed for UPS Standard ground shipping. 

Glass is shipped in custom manufactured double cardboard walled box. Has honeycomb cardboard spacers. Glass is wrapped in in paper for protection! Edge strap guards are taped to corners of outside box. Glass damage by UPS is around 3%, & I self insure my glass. Any problems contact me: johngreatwich@outlook.com or phone 902-402-7188 cell. If I need to contact you by phone: 902-457-1399 home

Glass is tempered with **NO LOGO**. Manufactured by Canadian Glass Manufacturer. 3mm x 25.5" x 28.5" 
http://www.vitroglazings.com/en-US/Glass/Architectural-Glasses.aspx

Glass has been printed (hundreds) by Atlantic Digital Reproductions. They also do my playfields. Glass is hit double pass for color & white, Single hit (pass) for gray blocking. Example ink head prints & uv cures: color, color, white, white, & gray. Commercial UV inkjet production on flatbed printer (OCE).
 http://www.atlanticdigital.ca/

Thanks for your purchase! 

#842 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sterns are loaded up with these obsolete .05 M 100v capacitors. What is a good substitute? What is a good substitute that does not cost an arm and a leg?

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/ceramic-disc-capacitors/10-x-0-047uf-50v-ceramic-disc-capacitor-pkg-of-10.html

#843 10 months ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Great Pinball Limited, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Classic Stern Glass 2019 Sales each glass title: Price on Ebay is $300 US + $50 US shipping USA. Private sales are $250 US + $50 US shipping.
If you are a previous customer of backglass (Star Gazer, Seawitch, Nineball, Catacomb, Lightning, & Iron Maiden)  or playfield (Star Gazer & Seawitch). $225  US + $50 US shipping. On the honor system of backglass made by Great Pinball. Can be purchased in the past from me (Great Pinball), Ebay, Marco Specialties, or with a private seller (can be with a pinball machine sale, or part sale).
If you order 2 or 3 Stern backglass in the same box. You can get a further $25 US off the cost of all backglass. Shipping total will remain at $50 US per box, & I will absorb the rest. 
Paypal: johngreatwich@outlook.com
Please include your phone number & email with paypal. Along with the glass title. If this info is missing I will contact you, as it is needed for UPS Standard ground shipping. 
Glass is shipped in custom manufactured double cardboard walled box. Has honeycomb cardboard spacers. Glass is wrapped in in paper for protection! Edge strap guards are taped to corners of outside box. Glass damage by UPS is around 3%, & I self insure my glass. Any problems contact me: johngreatwich@outlook.com or phone 902-402-7188 cell. If I need to contact you by phone: 902-457-1399 home
Glass is tempered with **NO LOGO**. Manufactured by Canadian Glass Manufacturer. 3mm x 25.5" x 28.5" 
http://www.vitroglazings.com/en-US/Glass/Architectural-Glasses.aspx
Glass has been printed (hundreds) by Atlantic Digital Reproductions. They also do my playfields. Glass is hit double pass for color & white, Single hit (pass) for gray blocking. Example ink head prints & uv cures: color, color, white, white, & gray. Commercial UV inkjet production on flatbed printer (OCE).
 http://www.atlanticdigital.ca/
Thanks for your purchase! 

John please make Magic Backglasses. There are so many of us that desperately need them.

#844 10 months ago

Well here it is. One of the few remaining games on my wanted list.
Did a 11 hour round trip today and 1000 km (600 miles) but she is home with me.
Needs a playfeild and backglass both rough.
20190112_113115 (resized).jpg

20190112_200208 (resized).jpg
#845 10 months ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

John please make Magic Backglasses. There are so many of us that desperately need them.

I have a flawless magic glass and a flatbed scanner if needed for the art.

#846 10 months ago

I'm hoping he can make quicksilver backglasses someday.

#847 10 months ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Well here it is. One of the few remaining games on my wanted list.
Did a 11 hour round trip today and 1000 km (600 miles) but she is home with me.
Needs a playfeild and backglass both rough.
[quoted image][quoted image]

How do you find this all of this stuff? In less than 4 months you have accumulated almost all of the classic Stern heavy hitters.

#848 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How do you find this all of this stuff? In less than 4 months you have accumulated almost all of the classic Stern heavy hitters.

Well, he did start this thread...

#849 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The stargazer was on kijiji (kinda like craigslist) owner got it with their house when they bought it a year ago.
Was taking offers over 3k. I paid 4200cad (about 3k usd) for it which might be a little high with the playfeild and backglass really bad, coin door and legs repainted poorly but boards were clean and it was working 100%.

#850 10 months ago

Was a bad capacitor, thanks for all those who answered.

Quoted from jkashani:

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 2419 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 49.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside