Topic Stats

• 1,460 posts
  • 152 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by canoncitypb
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 445 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A3EBE144-7FFC-4CCB-88B4-51175E50EBEC (resized).jpeg
B81A5FE4-2A48-4D4A-9008-F8F904A5CC06 (resized).jpeg
9CA09EFA-386F-4065-9BFA-D9A5409D4609 (resized).jpeg
DDD6C231-267E-47D3-99D2-7E68024B6E1F (resized).jpeg
7FBEAFC1-1D84-4BF8-B8CC-F0F2C471C45E (resized).jpeg
9C0D65DE-7B69-4DE3-96E1-3AC582A583AB (resized).jpeg
8D41B1D2-B141-40A2-B185-C6F038F39433 (resized).jpeg
3724A60E-C924-4828-92B1-64D6160E4B78 (resized).jpeg
bce4ffdf045ea1d381f693ed848bdf230f2df34b (resized).jpg
Flipper plates (resized).jpg
20190414_151731 (resized).jpg
20190414_120317 (resized).jpg
20190414_120904 (resized).jpg
20190414_120307 (resized).jpg
20190414_120934 (resized).jpg
20190414_120954 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1460 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 30.
#701 4 months ago
Quoted from atariaction:

Looking good Jim! You know you want a Tiger Rag!!!
P.S. Good recent interview on Slam Tilt (I think it was slam tilt, I listen to so many podcasts and interviews I lose track)
Good luck collecting all classic Sterns!

Thanks

#702 4 months ago

+1 to everyone who pointed me in the direction for board replacements in Big Game. These we're pretty easy to install and light years easier than trying to rejigger the original metal brackets with new sockets. Plus, easy access going forward

20181207_143834 (resized).jpg
#703 4 months ago
Quoted from statictrance:

+1 to everyone who pointed me in the direction for board replacements in Big Game. These we're pretty easy to install and light years easier than trying to rejigger the original metal brackets with new sockets. Plus, easy access going forward
[quoted image]

Good decision.

My big game last night needed some love

A485950F-47C8-4E82-BE19-32767D4B72FD (resized).jpegEB27CE66-B4B0-4E8B-AB2B-D751D5197FCE (resized).jpeg
#704 4 months ago

Just replaced my rectifier board in Dragonfist last night too haha.

#705 4 months ago

Not usually a fan of replacing things to Classics but goddamn those OG metal light boards are the worst design ever. Got some ready to install in my Meteor and nine ball.

Tommy I think after putting in a shit ton of games my standing count of hitting Dragon fist spinner on the fly is still at zero.

#706 4 months ago

Haha I've got the shot down pretty well on mine, gets a nice 40-50 spins most shots. I mean I certainly don't hit it every time, but definitely every game, the hard part is getting that spinner value raised to really make it worth it.

#707 4 months ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Good decision.
My big game last night needed some love[quoted image][quoted image]

That board is something else. Pretty sure my power board on my big game is just at toasty but I have a replacement board if needed when I bust out that project!

#708 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not usually a fan of replacing things to Classics but goddamn those OG metal light boards are the worst design ever. Got some ready to install in my Meteor and nine ball.

My meteor metal light board is frustrating with a lamp going out here and there .....but you just touch them and the light comes back only to go out again after a few games. I getting desperate enough to install 27 sockets in its place. Are there replacements for these?

#709 4 months ago
Quoted from atariaction:

That board is something else. Pretty sure my power board on my big game is just at toasty but I have a replacement board if needed when I bust out that project!

Yup. Put a new one in from Steve young last night. That was easy. Rewiring all those connectors was a nightmare.

#710 4 months ago

Good decision.
My big game last night needed some love[quoted image][quoted image]

Yup. Put a new one in from Steve young last night. That was easy. Rewiring all those connectors was a nightmare.

Haha, I haven't done one of these boards yet but confident I can!

#711 4 months ago

The guy that makes them is a friend of mine and his direct website is below. it was funny - I posted here for a solution, someone said "hey go here" and as soon as I saw the site I had a real "hey, I know that guy" moment.

Anyway... there are a number of boards to help alleviate the old and failing stern bulb holders. He mentioned he may do Split Second if the demand is there (and since I have one he can do the measurements and prototyping on). Not sure it makes sense since they are just individual sockets and can easily be replaced.

https://pinballreplacementparts.com/collections/all?page=3

#712 4 months ago

The guy that makes them is a friend of mine and his direct website is below. it was funny - I posted here for a solution, someone said "hey go here" and as soon as I saw the site I had a real "hey, I know that guy" moment.
Anyway... there are a number of boards to help alleviate the old and failing stern bulb holders. He mentioned he may do Split Second if the demand is there (and since I have one he can do the measurements and prototyping on). Not sure it makes sense since they are just individual sockets and can easily be replaced.

I'm getting a split second and would buy one.

I also need one for dragonfist to be made, it is a straight piece should be pretty easy but man my bulbs/sockets are annoying me on that part.

#713 4 months ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

My meteor metal light board is frustrating with a lamp going out here and there .....but you just touch them and the light comes back only to go out again after a few games. I getting desperate enough to install 27 sockets in its place. Are there replacements for these?

Yes. The same guy who makes the Big Game boards makes them for Meteor.

https://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/stern-meteor-set-of-lamp-boards-to-replace-the-old-metal-ones

EDIT: I now see this was already addressed.

#714 4 months ago

I asked Christopher if he would make some for Catacomb with it's 16 lights in play field center. But all lights are individual sockets and my request has gone nowhere.

#715 4 months ago

cottonm4 Next time I talk to him, I'll mention it. He's a pretty busy guy and does this in his spare time, I'm not sure what he has next in his tinkering queue. I would have guessed finding a Catacomb to measure, fit, test, and futz with would be an issue - but PAPA has one and I'm assuming their Cheetah and Nine Ball were measured for those boards. (not like these titles are like an F2K or a WMS Flash, right?).

tsskinne - I'll let him know there's at least one person that wants a split second board. I haven't gotten too much time to dig under mine due to time constraints and it's about 95% on the money as purchases (just a few lamps and 2-3 dirty switches), but I'm guessing it would be two boards, 1 for 'Split Second' and 1 for the bonus area.

#716 4 months ago

cottonm4 Next time I talk to him, I'll mention it. He's a pretty busy guy and does this in his spare time, I'm not sure what he has next in his tinkering queue. I would have guessed finding a Catacomb to measure, fit, test, and futz with would be an issue - but PAPA has one and I'm assuming their Cheetah and Nine Ball were measured for those boards. (not like these titles are like an F2K or a WMS Flash, right?).
tsskinne - I'll let him know there's at least one person that wants a split second board. I haven't gotten too much time to dig under mine due to time constraints and it's about 95% on the money as purchases (just a few lamps and 2-3 dirty switches), but I'm guessing it would be two boards, 1 for 'Split Second' and 1 for the bonus area.

Thank you !!

#717 4 months ago

Update... I just got home, fired up a game, and ball one my middle drop target snapped. Guessing I'm digging into the playfield sooner than I thought

#718 4 months ago

Anyone happen to know the spring length (at rest) of the longer drop target springs (unobtanium part 5A-171) used on most early Stern drop target banks. Wanting to grab the correct Bally replacement. I *think* they are 1.5" long, but have nothing but Internet material to base that off of.

#719 4 months ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Anyone happen to know the spring length (at rest) of the longer drop target springs (unobtanium part 5A-171) used on most early Stern drop target banks. Wanting to grab the correct Bally replacement. I *think* they are 1.5" long, but have nothing but Internet material to base that off of.

I bought some springs from Action Pinball for my Meteor, works good.

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=5A-171

#720 4 months ago

Would there be any interest in Tech Charts for these Stern Electronics game?
Just like the Bally AS-2518 games.
See the example of Bally - Black Jack.
A nice list with all the fuses, lamps with their SCR named, coils with their transistor named.
I think I would need your help too.
I've heard there are a lot of errors in the schematics.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

Bally_Black_Jack_Tech_Chart.pdf
#721 4 months ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Would there be any interest in Tech Charts for these Stern Electronics game?

Yes please!!
Several of the schematics are barely readable

#722 4 months ago

It would be handy to have. I would have a request with the controlled lamps chart. In your Black Jack example, all of the controlled lamps are listed alphabetically. A cross reference chart that listed the lamps as wire pair groups grouped by the first wire color would also be nice.

For example (from Blackjack) :

1st player.....................red-blue
credit indicator..............red-yel
Player 17......................red-blue
Player 21......................red-yel
Saucer 3X.....................red-white
Spinner 1000.................red-grn
2nd player ....................blu-yel
Bonus 2K......................blu-wht
Shoot again...................blu-yel
Saucer 5X......................blu-wht

#723 4 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It would be handy to have. I would have a request with the controlled lamps chart. In your Black Jack example, all of the controlled lamps are listed alphabetically. A cross reference chart that listed the lamps as wire pair groups grouped by the first wire color would also be nice.
For example (from Blackjack) :
1st player.....................red-blue
credit indicator..............red-yel
Player 17......................red-blue
Player 21......................red-yel
Saucer 3X.....................red-white
Spinner 1000.................red-grn
2nd player ....................blu-yel
Bonus 2K......................blu-wht
Shoot again...................blu-yel
Saucer 5X......................blu-wht

When all the Tech Charts are done, I will upload this info the www.pinwiki.com too.
I've already done this for the Bally 6803 games.
In this listing you can sort on wire color just like you asked.
For example Strange Science: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Strange_Science
Just click on the wire color column...
It's hard to do this with a paper document.
The files I put on my website are intended to be printed and kept with the machine.

#724 4 months ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

When all the Tech Charts are done, I will upload this info the www.pinwiki.com too.
I've already done this for the Bally 6803 games.
In this listing you can sort on wire color just like you asked.
For example Strange Science: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Strange_Science
Just click on the wire color column...
It's hard to do this with a paper document.
The files I put on my website are intended to be printed and kept with the machine.

nice link. You rock !!

#725 4 months ago

Can any Stingray owners confirm that this 10,000 pt light is supposed to be tied to the GI?
Or better yet, point me in the direction of a schematic? IPDB doesn’t seem to have it for this game.
DFA4EE2A-91D9-41E9-A3A5-EAF81BD3304C (resized).jpeg

#726 4 months ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Can any Stingray owners confirm that this 10,000 pt light is supposed to be tied to the GI?
Or better yet, point me in the direction of a schematic? IPDB doesn’t seem to have it for this game.
[quoted image]

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2377/Stern_1977_Stingray_Manual.pdf

#727 4 months ago

Thanks! I don’t know what pdf I was looking at earlier. It was on ipdb but didn’t have the schematics in the back.

#728 4 months ago

Yes. Pinball and stingray both always have the 10k lamp on. Same rom

#729 4 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If you decide to make some poly guides they will not be a half-measure. Once you put these on you will be made whole and can play your heart out.

These lexan guides are great. Put about 100 games on it with them in and no chipped paint from the CPR plastics. I don’t expect them to break like the old lane guides either. Thanks for the tip.

Note: the scratches on the pic are from the ancient glass over the play field.
1B0437C9-F3C8-4381-B8BD-87D434464AF8 (resized).jpeg

#730 4 months ago

anyone got a viper playfield in the parts bin? or a turret mech?

mate here just found one with the turret motor mech missing. going to be quite a challenge to find it seems

#731 4 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

anyone got a viper playfield in the parts bin? or a turret mech?
mate here just found one with the turret motor mech missing. going to be quite a challenge to find it seems

Good luck on that! I have a pretty immaculate viper and keeping that much operational is a chore.

#732 4 months ago

Good luck on that! I have a pretty immaculate viper and keeping that much operational is a chore.

yeah it will be a challenge .. next time you have it open can you see if the motor is a multi products one? the stern part number doesnt mean anything now but hopefully i can find what it really is and scratch build the rest

#733 4 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

yeah it will be a challenge .. next time you have it open can you see if the motor is a multi products one? the stern part number doesnt mean anything now but hopefully i can find what it really is and scratch build the rest

I’ll be there tonight throwing a big Christmas party. If I get a chance I’ll snap some pictures tonight. It’s a crazy mech with big sweeper arms. Almost like an EM stepper unit. A real pain to adjust.

#734 4 months ago

I am still interested to do more classic Stern playfields spring/summer 2019. If you have art available please contact me. More Star Gazer playfields, & huge Seawitch playfield run starting in January. I am on vacation to my brother in Austin, Texas Dec. 18 - Jan. 2 so I will not respond until my return. Same with glass projects, always looking for more.

#735 4 months ago

Does anyone have an extra locking mech for the Backglass and/or the metal trim that goes on the top of the glass?

They are missing on a Stingray I recently purchased.

#736 4 months ago

Any of these help at all?

757A565A-8A70-41BE-9289-B5FC50A26DD7.jpeg58349DF1-C554-4DC4-8057-E95A0FBC979B.jpeg07E8F02D-5558-45B0-BC1B-411AB7B16649.jpeg4A8A9388-ED81-4D66-AC9E-08A7C54578BA.jpegBC460B7C-214C-47E2-9AFD-9A5334690795 (resized).jpeg81AD2DE4-C644-4BD1-88BA-D76B110CBB07.jpeg61FDEDE2-EFCB-4580-87AC-B7460885B400 (resized).jpeg44570FD2-DE6A-4AD6-A72B-63D2CC6EF14A (resized).jpegBDB36859-C25B-46EF-AE24-D6307157A9C3 (resized).jpeg9394E8E2-41B2-42B3-98E3-CF0AB7003896 (resized).jpeg58C9ECED-F204-473A-9732-EE2FA1AEB74D (resized).jpeg
#737 4 months ago

I would like in the future to try reengineering this turret... pain in the ass to have it working correctly

#738 4 months ago

Any of these help at all?

perfect exactly what i needed thankyou

#739 3 months ago

B6164B0A-23F8-4BA3-99D0-514BE7DE9C89.jpeg
#740 3 months ago

Christmas eve meteor repinning.

20181224_163442 (resized).jpg20181224_163651 (resized).jpg20181224_163850 (resized).jpg20181224_164559 (resized).jpg20181224_170251 (resized).jpg

#741 3 months ago

Haha. I’ve done many a repin over the holidays. Love the use of the games!

#742 3 months ago

I know it's more efficient to do it that way but it still makes me nervous to not do them one at a time to be absolutely sure I dont mix any up.

#743 3 months ago

I take a very good pic first with flash and make sure I can identify each wire in the picture before I remove them.

#744 3 months ago
Quoted from Mitch:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I thought I was the only one who sat on games like that!

#745 3 months ago
Quoted from Mitch:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Haha awesome! I should try that. I am a one pin at a time guy as well but this way seems more efficient for sure!

#746 3 months ago

Well added 2 more to my collection
Picked up a wild fyre and galaxy.

#747 3 months ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Where did you score the Galaxy? Not that project from Woodbridge I hope.

#748 3 months ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Where on earth do you
Canadians find all those Classic Sterns?
Is there a depot up there or something?

#749 3 months ago

Can anyone tell me the color match for the coin door color early sterns? I believe that the legs are painted the same color. The pic is of mine repainted with what I believe to be a close color match.

Thank You

IMG_2665 (resized).JPG
#750 3 months ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Can anyone tell me the color match for the coin door color early sterns? I believe that the legs are painted the same color. The pic is of mine repainted with what I believe to be a close color match.
Thank You
[quoted image]

Rustoleum Hammertone Gray

Jim

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Philadelphia, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Indianapolis, IN
$ 19.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 157.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boiling Springs, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1460 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 30.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside