229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 215.
#7651 1 year ago

Did you blow the fuse on the bottom of the playfield? The one between the flippers?

#7652 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

OK boys and girls: HELP !!
Seawitch. I have been playing the snot out of it for the last 2-3 weeks. Making some mods, etc.
So, I am playing a wild, fast and furious game. The ball drains. But does not launch back onto the play field. And then I see that I have lost all solenoids and some of my switches are acting strange. The flippers work but that is about all.
Here is what I have tried:
1) I replaced the SDU with a known good unit. No change. I have flippers only. Plus GI and Feature lights. No solenoids.
2) I swap my Alltek MPU with the Allek MPU from my Catacomb. No change. Flippers and lights only.
and
3) I swapped my transformer and rectifier assembly with a known good assembly. No change. Flippers and lights only.
The only parts I have not swapped are the sound board and LDA.
I can turn the pin on. Check.
I can credit a game. Check.
I can flip the flippers. Check.
I can watch the lights. Check.
The sounds work. Check.
Replaced MPU. Check.
Replaced SDU. Check.
Replaced rectifier. Check.
What I cannot do is get anything, other than the flippers to work.
If it is not the MPU, if it is not the SDU, and if if it is not the rectifier, what the hell else can it be?
What do I do next ? I don't know where else to look.
Maa
[quoted image]

Are your connectors cooked? Unplug the game from the wall and flip the connector plugs over to check for burning. New boards connected with bad connectors will never work. Also pull the fuses and check with a meter.

PXL_20221220_190441074.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20221220_190441074.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20221220_190522961.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20221220_190522961.MP (resized).jpg
#7653 1 year ago

What happens in solenoid test? If nothing but the relay clicks, check for +43v bus voltage at a non working coil lug. If missing check the fuse near the flippers on the playfield.

If the sol bus V is good, then check MPU J4 to driver J4 as all the solenoid signals go through there and so very frequently a cause of solenoid issues.

#7654 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

When you adjust the HV output really low the regulator circuit is more stressed by basically burning off the Vs. The HV transistors are known to blow out from time to time. Just something to consider, but i guess its easier to fix the circuit board. There is probably a good compromise like 175vdc.
For what its worth my test fixture runs almost 24/7 and the same displays have been in there for years. They don't look any worse than when they started, and I used some pretty molted ones.

I noticed the HV transistors fail pretty quickly if the output is set very low. And when they fail, you usually don't know and 240v becomes the output to the displays.

#7655 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Did you blow the fuse on the bottom of the playfield? The one between the flippers?

And we have a winner. I need to get away from pinball for awhile.

Replaced a blown 1 amp fuse and the 2nd one blew, too. Now I get a loud hum like I have a solenoid that fried. Back into troubleshooting mode---again.

Ahh, it is too cold to do anything outside, anyway

#7656 1 year ago

Time to break out the multimeter and start looking for a short to ground. We've all been there.

#7657 1 year ago

You probably have a shorted coil. Either a cracked wire on one, broken diode, etc. Most common type that has popped that fuse on my games -- drop target reset coil. Ohm them all out.

#7658 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

You probably have a shorted coil.

And we have another winner. Shorted sling shot coil. I feel like an idiot for not even thinking of a blown fuse when the solenoids went dead. What is the first thing you check when the solenoids go dead? I'll give everybody 3 guesses. As Forest Gump said, " Stupid is as stupid does".

#7659 1 year ago

Sauteed Fuse, Fuse Scampi, Fried Fuse....

#7660 1 year ago

MOVIE TIME. I finally got the little off-brand mini-camera I got from Aldi a fews ago figured out and running.

This is my first pinball video, so don't make fun At least I have the camera mounted to a tripod and I can work both flippers

This is two videos on Seawitch.

The first video using the MPU-100 16B-3 small transformer:

*This Seawitch has been modded. The factory J26-1700 sling coils have been replaced with J26-1200 MPU -100 sling coils. *These coils are the same as pop bumper coils.
*GI lights have been disabled.
*The play field glass is on.
*The lighting could be improved.
*The video is unedited. House balls and all.
* My Loop switch at the top decided it was time to stop working.
*And I am trying to get used to playing with a camera stuck in front of me.

This is me playing Seawitch with the small Stern 16B-3 transformer. You can see how it plays. I did get some good scores with this setup. The pin does play with the -3 transformer, as you will see.

The 2nd video:

* Now I am playing with the larger -6 transformer.
* The play field glass is off.
* There are no other changes.

There are 2 other mods on this Seawitch.

*I replaced the flap gate with a launch ramp that comes from Stern's Beatles pin. I have a couple of small discrepancies that I need to adjust so I get better launches more consistently. I have enjoyed this setup for 3-4 years now. I will never go back to the flap gate.

I am working on the left side at the 3-place drop targets. Beatles set an area up behind those 3 drops to make some extra scores. I pretty much have the mechanical bugs worked out, but still have some small tweaks to make. I am head aching the rules out but I figure this is going to be Extra Ball territory. And just like Beatles, the ball can come down and slide right into the inlane for continued play. And it can stick it to you by draining down the outlane; You will see both actions in the 7.00-8.00 minute area. Wit the mod, you have to manage it and nudge it to get the ball down the inlane.

I hope this helps anybody who is interested in seeing the difference in play with the two transformers. With Seawitch having four flippers you can get by. But when I get some more time I will do the same thing with Catacomb and its two flippers so you can have a different viewpoint.

If you like the video let me know. If there is something I can do to improve things for the next video, let me know.

Thanks.

EDIT: One other mod I made was to remove the resistor from the upper right flipper. It hits just a little better. Does not feel like it is hitting late.

BTW:

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all pinballers the world around.

#7661 1 year ago

Wasn’t someone looking for one of these big F2K plastics a few months back?

254AF4DD-B226-4B08-B292-EC6E85DA8816 (resized).jpeg254AF4DD-B226-4B08-B292-EC6E85DA8816 (resized).jpeg
#7662 1 year ago

i never cared too much but i am curious, is the miss aligned credit window on my repro BG a one off issue? Is it the repro lamp panel? or a factory issue?

20221221_142636- (resized).jpg20221221_142636- (resized).jpg
#7663 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I noticed there might be some chip brand compatibility issues on the SB300 around the 4070 and 4562. Some legit TI CD4070 i have tried either make the white noise (rockets, explosions) sound extremely digitized or missing. Every HCF4070, HEF4070 and MC14070 ive tried seem ok. TI's CD4070B was hit or miss depending on production lot, the newest ones I bought with the E4 stamp seem fine, but some new old stock genuine ones did not work right depending on what 4562 it was paired with. Every single HGSemi's 4070 tried did not work right. I haven't poked around enough to be sure where its going wrong, but I think 4070 gate D to 4562's data is the issue.
The 4070 probably almost never fails, but if you replace it, I would stick to nexperia/onsemi/STMicro ones. And if you hear the white noise sounding like a 1990s modem connecting, its probably around that area.
I got the same results on an original Stern board too. Next time I update the replacement SB300 I might try and figure out exactly what is going on, the rest of the 4070 gates seem to be working ok with a TI CD4070, could be a simple tweak like a small cap.

Adding 150pf across u5 p11 and ground seems to fix the problem with some 4070 and / or 4562 chips. Data and clock timing issue. Bunch of 4000 series gates stacked together having propagation delay issues is what is probably going on.

My oscilloscope does not want to draw two lines at once for some reason or i would take a picture of it. Need to fix or replace it, can use any channel solo but goes wonky with two on at once... Grr

First few rocket noises are before i hold the cap in place.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#7664 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

i never cared too much but i am curious, is the miss aligned credit window on my repro BG a one off issue? Is it the repro lamp panel? or a factory issue?
[quoted image]

The 3 bottom displays should be lined up on the backglass and light board. Don’t you have enough room in your light board cutout to fix the issue? Looks like the credit display needs moved up 1/4 of an inch.

#7665 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

[quoted image]

There are 2 wires on your connector that you have to swap. I'll have to look around and try to find those 2 wires for you.

#7666 1 year ago

Anyone know what length/size of bolts (2) hold the apron to the play field? I’m missing mine on my big game

#7667 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The 3 bottom displays should be lined up on the backglass and light board. Don’t you have enough room in your light board cutout to fix the issue? Looks like the credit display needs moved up 1/4 of an inch.

the height isn't perfect but the credit display misalignment is the biggest problem. it usually 2-1 empty-2, from the left side, for ball count and credit count

Quoted from cottonm4:

There are 2 wires on your connector that you have to swap. I'll have to look around and try to find those 2 wires for you.

that's a good idea, physicaly moving 10k->1k and 1k->100 segments of the display then, i could look that up

#7668 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Adding 150pf across u5 p11 and ground seems to fix the problem with some 4070 and / or 4562 chips. Data and clock timing issue.

Boy o' boy, who designed that circuit.. It relies on propagation delays within the 4070/4013 chips.
How about using the spare gate in U5 as a buffer to delay the output? might save a few cents on that capacitor.

[EDIT] Actually it probably would be better if the buffer was between the 4013 pin 13 output to U5 pin 13 input.

Stern_SB-300_U5_Mod.pngStern_SB-300_U5_Mod.png

#7669 1 year ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Anyone know what length/size of bolts (2) hold the apron to the play field? I’m missing mine on my big game

looks about 3-3/4"
20221221_182730- (resized).jpg20221221_182730- (resized).jpg

#7670 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

looks about 3-3/4"
[quoted image]

Any way to determine the fine thread size?Thanks for the response hisokajp

#7671 1 year ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

See post 3161.
#10 x 32 x 3” slotted screw, plus finishing washers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tq=Apron+bolt&tu=

#7672 1 year ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

oh yes ignore, i read that wrong, these are the bolts for the backbox ^^;

#7673 1 year ago

Anybody got a complete Ali manual? I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to turn off the crashing/explosion sound it makes every few minutes in attract mode.

#7674 1 year ago

Thanks for that bluespin, I truly appreciate it!

#7675 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

Anybody got a complete Ali manual? I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to turn off the crashing/explosion sound it makes every few minutes in attract mode.

first page of the manual on ipdb it looks like:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/43/ali_stern_pinball.pdf

dip 17

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7676 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

[quoted image]

I found my Star Gazer notes for getting the credit display and ball number display lined up.

Go to the credit display connector.

* Take the yellow wire from pin #6 ( mine was a green wire )

* Move the gray wire from pin #7 to pin #6 ( white wire on mine )

* move white wire from pin #8 to pin #7. ( yellow wire on mine)

* Put yellow ( green ) wire at pin #8 for safekeeping.

#7677 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

[quoted image]

Got the exact same thing on my game. Must be a factory issue.

#7678 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I found my Star Gazer notes for getting the credit display and ball number display lined up.
Go to the credit display connector.
* Take the yellow wire from pin #6 ( mine was a green wire )
* Move the gray wire from pin #7 to pin #6 ( white wire on mine )
* move white wire from pin #8 to pin #7. ( yellow wire on mine)
* Put yellow ( green ) wire at pin #8 for safekeeping.

I thought he was talking about how the display was too low in the window (or the window was too high on the glass). If so I don't see why you couldn't just lengthen the four holes at the front of the metal frame where it screws into the front of the light board so you can raise the display. Also make sure you don't have any pieces of crud in the bottom channel that could be raising the glass a bit. From the pic it appears the display itself is mounted is too low compared to the player display to the right of it.

#7679 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I thought he was talking about how the display was too low in the window (or the window was too high on the glass). If so I don't see why you couldn't just lengthen the four holes at the front of the metal frame where it screws into the front of the light board so you can raise the display. Also make sure you don't have any pieces of crud in the bottom channel that could be raising the glass a bit. From the pic it appears the display itself is mounted is too low compared to the player display to the right of it.

Maybe he is. But some Star Gazer builders have experienced the credit displays misalignment issue. And that is what I was keying off of. And it helps getting this info. out to any new builders out there.

#7680 1 year ago

In other news, Greg, at Fantastic Pinball contacted me with one of his new Star Gazer play fields ready for sale. He is shipping it out today. I should have it in 10 days or so.

#7681 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

[quoted image]

I put a 7 digit in the credit display and voila! perfectly aligned

stargazer_BG (resized).jpgstargazer_BG (resized).jpg
#7682 1 year ago

6 digit displays work fine too but you do need to move a few wires around.

20221130_184149 (resized).jpg20221130_184149 (resized).jpg
#7683 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Boy o' boy, who designed that circuit.. It relies on propagation delays within the 4070/4013 chips.
How about using the spare gate in U5 as a buffer to delay the output? might save a few cents on that capacitor.
[EDIT] Actually it probably would be better if the buffer was between the 4013 pin 13 output to U5 pin 13 input.
[quoted image]

Thanks Quench. This CD4070 by TI and HGSemi must be too fast. The 150pF trick doesnt even work on the HGSemi part yet the chip tester still calls it a 4070 and the other gates are working OK. The propagation delay for this "medium speed" chip is only really give a max and typical, I guess it could be much faster and they don' have to update the datasheet.

I am guessing then HC86 would work even worse since its faster. I will screw around with it some more by moding a board adding that extra gate in line and try put the cap at U5 P13.

I think I will buy another better scope for a Christmas present to myself. This one is kaput unless a software reset fixes it. It acts like the ground on the 2nd probe floats when you use two channels at once. I guess I can still use it for one channel stuff.

This is interesting about CD4030 vs CD4070 (same part?)
"There was an issue with the original cd4030 (back in the mid- to late-70s?) - input capacitance was high so it would glitch with short pulses so a "corrected" cd4070 was launched by RCA and Motorola. When the 40XXB series was launched, they used the same chip for cd4030B and cd4070B.

The list of logic chips was already well established so it would cause confusion if the 4030 was missing and many lists didn't contain a 4070 - designers would be confused if they couldn't get a 4030 from the distributor. I had one of the old RCA posters of 4000 series parts in my basement for years until I had some water damage. I doubt it listed the 4070."

#7685 1 year ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

I put a 7 digit in the credit display and voila! perfectly aligned
[quoted image]

interesting's idea, i'll see what i have, moving a wire around maybe easier

#7686 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

first page of the manual on ipdb it looks like:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/43/ali_stern_pinball.pdf
dip 17

Thanks a million!

#7687 1 year ago

I im need to rebuild my molex connectors both 0.100 & 0.156” im already bought one tool that did not work, should this one work on both sizes?

https://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/63811-1000?qs=u6Gr9%2FNt%252B%2F9oql%252Bd80isUQ%3D%3D

#7688 1 year ago
Quoted from Magadovski:

I im need to rebuild my molex connectors both 0.100 & 0.156” im already bought one tool that did not work, should this one work on both sizes?
https://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/63811-1000?qs=u6Gr9%2FNt%252B%2F9oql%252Bd80isUQ%3D%3D

You're going to need these two:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3135-CT
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3136-CT

You may be able to find them used on eBay. Don't ask how I know this.

#7689 1 year ago

These are not as intricate as those linked on Great Plains. But the price is friendlier. For the casual user, these work quite well and make good "B" crimps.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1026-CT

They are available from Mouser.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sargent-Tools/1026CT?qs=uRnagMugFMe6rx4pEiBNZQ%3D%3D&mgh=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaWdBhAvEiwAGAQltnc-51KYhEinMQcjxZ8qtu--19q1L1vL9AsoJjG1DE8T91nFOsLwVRoClp0QAvD_BwE

They are also available on Amazon but Amazon is not price friendly at $58.00.

https://www.amazon.com/SARGENT-Tools-1026-CT-Contact/dp/B00CIRFUMQ

I also have a pair of these IWISS locking units that some people like. I prefer the Sargent style at Mouser.

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-SN-28B-Crimping-AWG28-18-Dupont/dp/B00OMM4YUY/ref=pd_lpo_2

#7690 1 year ago

Wire Bot is an excellent source and run by pinsider rockwell

https://wirebot.xyz/collections/connectors-crimps

#7691 1 year ago

Wire Bot is an excellent source and run by pinsider rockwell
https://wirebot.xyz/collections/connectors-crimps

And you can also buy header pins, plastic connectors and crimp pins from him.

#7692 1 year ago

Thank you all above, for feedback about the crimp tool!

#7693 1 year ago

Are these Classic Stern drop targets?
If so, which games does this style belong on? Thanks

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7694 1 year ago

Never seen ones with that style of latching rib on the front side.

#7695 1 year ago

I think they're an aftermarket replacement from who knows how many years ago, maybe all the way back. Made in Rotterdam Holland, if I remember the stamping correctly. I have found them on a couple of my classic sterns.

#7696 1 year ago

I think they're an aftermarket replacement from who knows how many years ago, maybe all the way back. Made in Rotterdam Holland, if I remember the stamping correctly. I have found them on a couple of my classic sterns.

Yes the stamping says- S.T.C. Rotterdam Made in Holland

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7697 1 year ago
Quoted from jk:

Are these Classic Stern drop targets?
If so, which games does this style belong on? Thanks
[quoted image]

Those drop targets are Wico replacement targets for the then defunct Stern pinball
back in 1982/1983. They where made in Holland.

#7698 1 year ago

Those baggies they're in look pretty vintage.

#7699 1 year ago

I cant get the molex in to the connector, do i use the right molex? Or is suppose to be hard to push it in?

04F3396F-6AFA-44F7-A0AC-106857EEF6DA (resized).jpeg04F3396F-6AFA-44F7-A0AC-106857EEF6DA (resized).jpeg1BCE4410-5085-4A42-A339-B1E8FABF41C0 (resized).jpeg1BCE4410-5085-4A42-A339-B1E8FABF41C0 (resized).jpeg29E1A1D4-D98A-4DC8-890C-7C0F724EEE43 (resized).jpeg29E1A1D4-D98A-4DC8-890C-7C0F724EEE43 (resized).jpeg66478DF0-7798-474A-8B61-76F1A612BA11 (resized).jpeg66478DF0-7798-474A-8B61-76F1A612BA11 (resized).jpegA50D9875-6F02-4503-AF7B-A1799A2E6C47 (resized).jpegA50D9875-6F02-4503-AF7B-A1799A2E6C47 (resized).jpeg
#7700 1 year ago

Maybe the most common learning curve to overcome with repinning connectors is putting the wire back in the correct orientation. This little notch is what locks into the little “window” on the housing. So when you install it, holding the “window” facing up, you slide this in also facing up.

You’re also using a non-ratcheting crimping tool, which can result in messier crimps that can make them harder to push into the housing. I need to get to work and can’t find the correct cheap ratcheting type for you but maybe someone else can.

AD8C3DD9-52D3-4CDC-B1A9-54DBD40AFD63 (resized).jpegAD8C3DD9-52D3-4CDC-B1A9-54DBD40AFD63 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 12.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 959.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
$ 169.00
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Buffalo, NY
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/154 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.