IMG_20221114_060415510 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_20221114_060457035 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221027_020156741 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221027_020235781 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221027_020134082 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221027_013949303 (resized).jpg
9ED22E53-3672-4314-BACA-BA70B15BC617 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,620 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 153.
#7551 15 days ago

Update. Got it all sorted.

Ended up being a cold solder joint on one of the flipper coil legs. Discovered following confirming power at the coil, and @dotheedo's suggestion of "start a game, hold in the flipper button and lift the lower flipper by hand (assuming that’s the one with the double EOS switch). If that triggers the upper flipper, then your problem is with the double EOS switch or the lower flipper coil."

That worked... and isolated the issue to the coil with the double EOS switch. After wiggling some wires with the flipper button depressed, it became evident there was a solder problem. After some flux, a little reflow... she's back and firing on all cylinders.

Thank you, all, for all of the tech help! Despite being in the hobby for 10 years, it's awesome to get community support.

#7552 15 days ago

So, next question.

I have Big Game and Meteor. REALLY really like both of these games.

What's next???

#7553 15 days ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So, next question.
What's next???

I love my Big Game.

And Seawitch.

And Nine Ball.

And if you are adventuresome and want your pinball skills challenged, get a Catacomb.

Big Game has two spinners. If you like spinners, start looking to build a Star Gazer with 3 spinners.

#7554 15 days ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

and @dotheedo's suggestion of "start a game, hold in the flipper button and lift the lower flipper by hand

I have learned a lot from dothedo. A lot. And i'm still learning.

#7555 15 days ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So, next question.
What's next???

The best bang for your buck would be Stars.

#7556 15 days ago
Quoted from La4s:

The best bang for your buck would be Stars.

And chimes rule!

#7557 14 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have learned a lot from dothedo. A lot. And i'm still learning.

And I'm learning from you as well.

#7558 14 days ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Thought I would share this rare bird…
I was able to play my buddy’s Iron Maiden for the first time tonight Gameplay might be a bit lacking, but you sure have to admire the unique mechanical ball lock feature, the Heavy Metal inspired artwork, pulsing layered backglass, and the odd ruleset. I did manage to start multiball, which was rather difficult, so that was pretty satisfying. Cool game for sure, but way too rich for my blood.

Those are my exact feelings of Iron Maiden as well. I do love that ball lock mech, though.

#7559 14 days ago

Playfield swap in progress... Going 'rat rod' with keeping the cabinet original even though banged up, but everything else with be like new.

Before:

IMG_20221027_013949303 (resized).jpg

IMG_20221027_020134082 (resized).jpg

IMG_20221027_020156741 (resized).jpg

IMG_20221027_020235781 (resized).jpg

After:

IMG_20221114_060334875 (1) (resized).jpg

IMG_20221114_060350859 (1) (resized).jpg

IMG_20221114_060415510 (1) (resized).jpg

IMG_20221114_060457035 (resized).jpg

IMG_20221118_051619957 (resized).jpg

#7560 14 days ago

looking for s Quicksilver or Stargazer playfield Harness if anyone has one they aren't going to get to. trying to build something lol

#7561 13 days ago

I have a new Weebly mpu in my Lightning and just noticed the slam switch doesn't do anything. Is this normal? Can't remember if the switch caused a reset when I had the original mpu-200 in there but I've already modded that board for something else. Was wondering if the Weebly is supposed to ignore the slam switch, perhaps because it has a built in 'reset' switch. No other issues with the game. Thanks!

#7562 13 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I have a new Weebly mpu in my Lightning and just noticed the slam switch doesn't do anything. Is this normal? Can't remember if the switch caused a reset when I had the original mpu-200 in there but I've already modded that board for something else. Was wondering if the Weebly is supposed to ignore the slam switch, perhaps because it has a built in 'reset' switch. No other issues with the game. Thanks!

They didn't have room for the slam in the switch matrix.

#7563 13 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

They didn't have room for the slam in the switch matrix.

You mean Stern, or Weebly? The slam is shown in the original schematics connected to J4 pin 13. Looks like it's external to the matrix, like the diagnostic button in the coin door.
I'm getting continuity from pin 13 to one end of the slam, and the other end goes right to a shared lug on the diagnostic button so they both look good.

#7564 13 days ago

I believe on the Weebly it wasn't traced to otherwise reduce the support calls for intermittent reboots due to suspect cabinet slam switches.
I don't think it was a good idea to have the MPU reset signal run into the cabinet harness where it might pick up noise and trigger.

#7565 13 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

I believe on the Weebly it wasn't traced to otherwise reduce the support calls for intermittent reboots due to suspect cabinet slam switches.
I don't think it was a good idea to have the MPU reset signal run into the cabinet harness where it might pick up noise and trigger.

Ah okay thanks, makes sense. I don't care if the slam works or not but was odd since all the connections between the switch and the mpu & ground checked out a-ok.

#7566 13 days ago

Well that makes me feel less crazy about the slam switch on my Star Gazer build. I spent a good while and couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t work. Ultimately gave up because I didn’t care if it worked lol.

#7567 13 days ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Well that makes me feel less crazy about the slam switch on my Star Gazer build.

Well, you better get crazy again because Star Gazer has the slam switch as part of the switch matrix - unrelated to this discussion where later games wired the slam switch directly to the MPU-200 boards reset circuitry.

#7569 13 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

You mean Stern, or Weebly? The slam is shown in the original schematics connected to J4 pin 13. Looks like it's external to the matrix, like the diagnostic button in the coin door.

I mean software wise there's just no code for it. The matrix is full. Now if there's a hardware thing on weebly that's different.

I'm considering adding inhibit slam to other games for tournaments... I have my slams all adjusted to not slam but some/most do not.

#7570 13 days ago

I suppose one good thing about the dedicated slam circuit was you didn't have to worry about a problem somewhere with the switch matrix switches/wiring/diodes etc. causing a false slam reset especially on location, or likewise disabling the slam. Anyway the Weebly's additional reset button seems to do the same thing as a slam, in case that ever came in handy in certain tests vs. powering off/on.

#7571 13 days ago

The slam isn't even read as slam most of the time when it is in the matrix during adjustments on stern games. I took advantage of this in various rom hacks where you can hold the slam in while pressing the credit button to go backwards in replay/hstd levels... I don't think I did that in lightning though.

#7572 13 days ago

I was thinking in terms of a switch matrix problem causing slam to always be falsely read as closed, and you power it up. Would you even be able to get into the adjustments, or would it just repeatedly reset every time it finished booting? Or would games like this power up okay and only reset when you started a game?

#7573 13 days ago

All switches in the matrix are marked as 'closed' when you bootup. This is so any switch that is actually stuck closed (regardless of reason, be it physical or shorted matrix) will NOT activate. It's counter-intuitive that it works this way, but the reasoning is (I believe) that you would not want a game giving a free credit if the coin door switch was stuck (or some other combination of switches was causing it to read closed).

Next time I'm in the basement I'll try a machine's slam on bootup pinched shut and see what it does.

Being in or out of a game shouldn't matter - the switch matrix is read and reacted to just the same. Only in diagnostics/adjustments is most of the matrix ignored. It's still populating the various registers, etc. but the interpreter does nothing with it. It's in a different loop running there.

#7574 13 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I suppose one good thing about the dedicated slam circuit was you didn't have to worry about a problem somewhere with the switch matrix switches/wiring/diodes etc. causing a false slam reset especially on location, or likewise disabling the slam. Anyway the Weebly's additional reset button seems to do the same thing as a slam, in case that ever came in handy in certain tests vs. powering off/on.

Stern literally routed the cpu !RESET signal out to the coin door with a low ohm resistor between it. The thought of the CPU !RESET at the coin door really bothers me. What a great easy way to zap the processor with ESD or short it out to ac volts, the grounded coin door or whatever. The few stern games that slam by resetting the cpu will not work on my replacement MPU. I think it is only a handful of the later mpu200 games do this.

#7575 13 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Next time I'm in the basement I'll try a machine's slam on bootup pinched shut and see what it does.

Well shows what I know on what I thought would happen. Galaxy merrily booted up and rebooted constantly with the slam closed. So after it marks them as all closed it must mark them as all open.... Next time I'll repeat this experiment with a coin switch closed and see if I get a credit.

#7576 12 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Stern literally routed the cpu !RESET signal out to the coin door with a low ohm resistor between it. The thought of the CPU !RESET at the coin door really bothers me. What a great easy way to zap the processor with ESD or short it out to ac volts, the grounded coin door or whatever. The few stern games that slam by resetting the cpu will not work on my replacement MPU. I think it is only a handful of the later mpu200 games do this.

At least if it only got shorted to ground at the door it would simply reset the game, right? On the schems it looked like the slam switch and the other two buttons in the coin door just connect to a common ground from the sol. board when those switches are closed.

#7577 12 days ago

So if you hold a coin switch shut it gives you a credit.... So my theory on why the init is like it is needs work...

#7578 12 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

At least if it only got shorted to ground at the door it would simply reset the game, right? On the schems it looked like the slam switch and the other two buttons in the coin door just connect to a common ground from the sol. board when those switches are closed.

Against the grounded door wouldn't cause any damage but leave you in a "why is the MPU locked up" situation.

#7579 12 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

At least if it only got shorted to ground at the door it would simply reset the game, right?

Yep it would be in *permanent* reset, i.e. MPU board would be locked with the LED stuck on as barakandl mentioned.

#7580 12 days ago

So there's one plus for the matrixed slam switch - if nothing else, if it's stuck on by whatever cause you'll know the game can boot, vs. a solid LED and that's it.

#7581 11 days ago

Can somebody with a Quicksilver help me out by getting me the measurements of the four wood rails? Quicksilver will be my next conversion project and I want to get a head start on the rails this long weekend.

#7582 11 days ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Can somebody with a Quicksilver help me out by getting me the measurements of the four wood rails? Quicksilver will be my next conversion project and I want to get a head start on the rails this long weekend.

Left side - 36 1/4"
Back - 20 1/4"
Right side - 29"
Inner - 17 3/8"

#7583 11 days ago
Quoted from msarac:

Left side - 36 1/4"
Back - 20 1/4"
Right side - 29"
Inner - 17 3/8"

Perfect! Are they all straight cuts?

#7584 11 days ago

A bit overpriced, especially with the wildly overpriced $60 shipping settings (at least to my location) on the listing, but another Chicago Coin door WITH TRIM(!) popped up on eBay a week or so ago. Unlike the last one I linked in this thread, the start buttons on the door just like a Stern door! I have ZERO connection to this listing and do not know the seller.
ebay.com link: itm

#7585 11 days ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Perfect! Are they all straight cuts?

Mine are all square cuts. You could probably bullnose or bevel the end of the short one, but it’s not visible from the player’s perspective.

#7586 11 days ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

A bit overpriced, especially with the wildly overpriced $60 shipping settings (at least to my location) on the listing, but another Chicago Coin door WITH TRIM(!) popped up on eBay a week or so ago. Unlike the last one I linked in this thread, the start buttons on the door just like a Stern door! I have ZERO connection to this listing and do not know the seller.
ebay.com link: itm

He does have the "make an offer" up. Shipping seems a bit high, though. Dracula and some of the MPU-100s use this style of door with coin return in the middle.

All those black doors you see with no start button are all Stern video games. I have 2 of those that I will have to drill the holes to add the Start button to.

#7587 8 days ago

Apologies if this has been answered before - I did a thread search for "swinks" and read every post, and didn't find my answer. Maybe this post will come up for the next person searching

If I am using new DE/Sega bumpers (https://www.pinballlife.com/desega-pop-bumper-assembly.html) in my QS build, and I want to use Swinks replica plastic rings in place of the metal ones, do I just need to buy the rings themselves? https://www.shapeways.com/product/9JVZLJGAY/b-695-3u-rod-ring-classic-stern?optionId=133490573&li=marketplace Or do I need the 3 piece kits - https://www.shapeways.com/product/LFF3VSN2N/b-695-3u-classic-stern-bumper-parts-3-piece-kit?optionId=133643666&li=marketplace

Cheers, and thanks!

#7588 8 days ago

You will need the corresponding yokes. You cannot use the traditional metal/fiber yokes with the plastic pop rings.

#7589 8 days ago
Quoted from pabrimmer:

Apologies if this has been answered before - I did a thread search for "swinks" and read every post, and didn't find my answer. Maybe this post will come up for the next person searching
If I am using new DE/Sega bumpers (https://www.pinballlife.com/desega-pop-bumper-assembly.html) in my QS build, and I want to use Swinks replica plastic rings in place of the metal ones, do I just need to buy the rings themselves? https://www.shapeways.com/product/9JVZLJGAY/b-695-3u-rod-ring-classic-stern?optionId=133490573&li=marketplace Or do I need the 3 piece kits - https://www.shapeways.com/product/LFF3VSN2N/b-695-3u-classic-stern-bumper-parts-3-piece-kit?optionId=133643666&li=marketplace
Cheers, and thanks!

you need all 3 pieces in the kit

#7590 8 days ago

do I just need to buy the rings themselves? https://www.shapeways.com/product/9JVZLJGAY/b-695-3u-rod-ring-classic-stern?optionId=133490573&li=marketplace Or do I need the 3 piece kits - https://www.shapeways.com/product/LFF3VSN2N/b-695-3u-classic-stern-bumper-parts-3-piece-kit?optionId=133643666&li=marketplace

Cheers, and thanks!
--------------------------------------
I concur with play_pinball & cottonm4 for the 3 piece kits.

#7591 8 days ago

Thanks, all

#7592 6 days ago

Just picked up a Galaxy and I'm new to the club. I've been wanting to start an early Stern collection and this is my 1st Stern solid state. I also have a "Pinball" em version. Anyway, I'm currently taking stock of all the issues I need to correct and one in particular is bugging me because I was so excited to see it. I know Galaxy is supposed to use a flasher relay to flash the lights in attract mode and in-game. Mine is not working. It makes the explosion sound during attract but there's no flash. I've compared the wiring on my flasher to pics I found here and it looks correct. Dont see any loose wires or cracked solder. Could I have a bad flasher? Any way to test it? Anywhere else in that circuit I can check?

20221126_183643 (resized).jpg
#7593 5 days ago

The relay in galaxy blinks the GI. LY2NJ with a 48v coil is a good part number and has a nifty led inside it. If you don't want to solder wires to the relay like originally done, get one of the relay base you can use fork or ring terminals on.

#7594 5 days ago

Picked up my 3rd Classic Stern today, a Flight 2000. I wasn't looking for a pin as I seriously have zero space, but how do you knock back a well priced Classic Stern which comes up for sale not far from home. Needs a chunk of work, but it's all in tact and playable.

IMG_3348 (resized).jpg
#7595 5 days ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:Picked up my 3rd Classic Stern today, a Flight 2000. I wasn't looking for a pin as I seriously have zero space, but how do you knock back a well priced Classic Stern which comes up for sale not far from home. Needs a chunk of work, but it's all in tact and playable.

I saw that for sale on fb, glad to hear you scored it Chris, yep, you couldn't not buy it, what a bargain!

#7596 5 days ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

I saw that for sale on fb, glad to hear you scored it Chris, yep, you couldn't not buy it, what a bargain!

Hey Richard, thanks mate, very kind of you. It defo ain't perfect, but for 42 years old, you gotta expect a few knocks and bumps hey!!?! You'll have to send me an update at some stage

#7597 5 days ago
Quoted from pabrimmer:

Cheers, and thanks!

if you are switching from metal to plastic it would be best to get the 3 piece plastic kit.

https://swinks.com.au/ss-parts
to find the part you need and then it will take you to Shapeways

Shapeways have a sale on Cyber Monday only 10-20% off.

Shapeways (resized).png
#7598 5 days ago

I restored a pair of Lightning pins this past year, just got around to doing a brief rundown of the process, if folks are interested:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-tale-of-two-lightnings

IMG_8615 (resized).jpeg

#7599 5 days ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Picked up my 3rd Classic Stern today, a Flight 2000. I wasn't looking for a pin as I seriously have zero space, but how do you knock back a well priced Classic Stern which comes up for sale not far from home. Needs a chunk of work, but it's all in tact and playable.
[quoted image]

Nice score there Chris ,I didn’t see it come up you must have been quick
Wouldn’t mind getting one of these one day to add to the old stern line up

#7600 4 days ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Nice score there Chris ,I didn’t see it come up you must have been quick
Wouldn’t mind getting one of these one day to add to the old stern line up

Thanks Grant. It was more dumb luck that being quick haha. Wife was less than enthusiastic about it, as it's literally blocking the shed/garage door from opening properly haha... ahh dear

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 7,620 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!