229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 215.
#7051 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a receiver for the early style lock bars that use the round pins. Maybe we can work something up.

Sure I'll shoot you a pm.

#7052 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Low replay is even easier really.

I just fired up Meteor and was thinking about converting the coin reject to add-a-credit and guess what?! It added a credit! Someone already did it and I had no idea. Funny but I feel kind of stupid.

0809221749 (resized).jpg0809221749 (resized).jpg
#7053 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

What if you set the replay value in the menu to 10,000 points? That will award a free game every time that you play.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Low replay is even easier really.

OK, this works at TPF and other pin shows. But what if you want to coin up and play with 4 players?

#7054 1 year ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Funny but I feel kind of stupid.

There are 7000 posts in this thread. No need to feel stupid.

#7055 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

OK, this works at TPF and other pin shows. But what if you want to coin up and play with 4 players?

Wouldn't it also set off the knocker seconds after the start of every game? Not the hugest deal, but I'd prefer to reserve that sound for major in-game events

#7056 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

After you set the replay value at 10,000, use your finger to trigger the credit wire on the bottom of a coin mech until you reach 40 credits. Start a four player game and credits fall to 36, then as each player reaches 10,000 points it adds back a credit until it returns to 40 credits.

#7057 1 year ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

The closest looking ones to the originals are the Pinitech units!

These are the ones I went with (the original style). I want them to be blue but also look factory. Last time I bought displays they were pre-assembled. These are DIY. No big deal but I am wondering how long it is going to take me to assemble them. I guess I'll find out when they arrive.

#7058 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

These are the ones I went with (the original style). I want them to be blue but also look factory. Last time I bought displays they were pre-assembled. These are DIY. No big deal but I am wondering how long it is going to take me to assemble them. I guess I'll find out when they arrive.

They are not hard to assemble. But watch out with the instructions! I managed to install a resistor in incorrect position my first time out; Basically, I was working ahead of the instructions and hosed myself.

I was impressed with the fit and finish. Everything fell into place and fit like it was blueprint perfect.

I did not time myself when assembling them but 3-4 hours and loafing a bit , too.

#7059 1 year ago

A wizard followed me home today

Quicksilver, Cheetah & Nine Ballā€¦.. I think my Classic Stern collection is complete!

This one will be getting the full 5* restore someday, but boy Iā€™ve been away from this thread a long time. Gonna put the Cheetah in the shop & dive back in!

8CFB93CF-3BEB-40B6-94E0-5CE5E1FAA8BA (resized).jpeg8CFB93CF-3BEB-40B6-94E0-5CE5E1FAA8BA (resized).jpeg
#7060 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

A wizard followed me home today
Quicksilver, Cheetah & Nine Ballā€¦.. I think my Classic Stern collection is complete!
This one will be getting the full 5* restore someday, but boy Iā€™ve been away from this thread a long time. Gonna put the Cheetah in the shop & dive back in!
[quoted image]

i wish my list only had 3 in in add SG, Seawitch, BG and Meteor and then the one still missing DragonFist-

#7061 1 year ago

Question about Quicksilver...I recently moved one and from what I could tell it wasn't possible to completely remove the head without removing the display panel wiring from the display panel, as it was basically wired (in part) into the rest of the harness that goes down into the cabinet.

I'm debating adding a Molex connector to the harness (where my hand is in the below image) to make it a bit easier to remove the head. Has anyone else tried this? Perhaps I am missing something obvious. Thanks!

PXL_20220811_201140713-3 (resized).jpgPXL_20220811_201140713-3 (resized).jpg

#7062 1 year ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Question about Quicksilver...I recently moved one and from what I could tell it wasn't possible to completely remove the head without removing the display panel wiring from the display panel, as it was basically wired (in part) into the rest of the harness that goes down into the cabinet.
I'm debating adding a Molex connector to the harness (where my hand is in the below image) to make it a bit easier to remove the head. Has anyone else tried this? Perhaps I am missing something obvious. Thanks!
[quoted image]

You can remove the head but you do need to get into the cabinet to do so. You need to pull back a couple wires from the power rectifier board. No need to add an extra connector.

#7063 1 year ago
Quoted from rockwell:

[quoted image]

Sterns are different from Bally.

Remove the J-3 connector from the rectifier board. Roll this harness up into the back box. Also check that the harnesses have not been tie wrapped together

IMG_0953 (resized).JPGIMG_0953 (resized).JPG

#7064 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

You can remove head but you do need to get into the cabinet to do so. You need to pull back a couple wires from the power rectifier board. No need to add an extra connector.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Sterns are different from Bally.
Remove the J-3 connector from the rectifier board. Roll this harness up into the back box. Also check that the harnesses have not been tie wrapped together
[quoted image]

Thanks for clarifying that. I did trace that part of the harness back to the rectifier and assumed that was an option. I recently worked on a Big Game and I think that one had a Molex connector for the cab harness into the backbox...I'll have to go back and look at my images.

#7065 1 year ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Thanks for clarifying that. I did trace that part of the harness back to the rectifier and assumed that was an option. I recently worked on a Big Game and I think that one had a Molex connector for the cab harness into the backbox...I'll have to go back and look at my images.

You will run into some strange factory work on different Sterns. But my Big Game does not have what you mention. It could be some work someone else has done.

#7066 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You will run into some strange factory work on different Sterns. But my Big Game does not have what you mention. It could be some work someone else has done.

agreed with Cotton here, you can add a connector yourself else it is not factory on the games i have seen either?

#7067 1 year ago

Problem solved, just do what this previous owner did.

CA475DCC-A69B-4BA2-9DCF-9DD62199A278 (resized).jpegCA475DCC-A69B-4BA2-9DCF-9DD62199A278 (resized).jpeg
#7068 1 year ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Problem solved, just do what this previous owner did.
[quoted image]

Some test leads to the rescue.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#7069 1 year ago

Picked up a donor game and pf today! Now to figure out what to build out of them. Iā€™m doing a star gazer for sure but I have enough parts to probably build a 2nd game as well.

E43FD0BE-7086-4EF6-B553-3FA743D185D0 (resized).jpegE43FD0BE-7086-4EF6-B553-3FA743D185D0 (resized).jpeg
#7070 1 year ago

are you guys converting the meteor playfield harness to work with other titles, or are you building new ones out right.

#7071 1 year ago

I was actually curious to see if you can convert a meteor harness to work with a star gazer

#7072 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

are you guys converting the meteor playfield harness to work with other titles, or are you building new ones out right.

for my QS and SG scratch build i bought a new PF harness but converted backbox harness. Making new PF harness from scratch is a whole different ball game...

#7073 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

It may work to start with the each of the backbox connectors pre-populated with the appropriate crimped wires (say 10-foot flying leads), then you could route them from the backbox to the playfield, creating your playfield harness as you go?

#7074 1 year ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Picked up a donor game and pf today! Now to figure out what to build out of them. Iā€™m doing a star gazer for sure but I have enough parts to probably build a 2nd game as well. [quoted image]

Quoted from GoldenOreos:

Quoted from rockwell:

It may work to start with the each of the backbox connectors pre-populated with the appropriate crimped wires (say 10-foot flying leads), then you could route them from the backbox to the playfield, creating your playfield harness as you go?

You will be able to convert one Stern wire harness to a different Stern wire harness---with difficulty. I'm too busy to talk about it right now. Back later.

Here is these main thoughts: Measure the harness from the edge of the play field to the wire connectors that go to the boards. This is the length of harness you have to maintain when you start moving wires around.

#7075 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

for my QS and SG scratch build i bought a new PF harness but converted backbox harness. Making new PF harness from scratch is a whole different ball game...

I made a Seawitch harness from scratch using a Last Action Hero harness as a donor.

But I'm a lunatic.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7076 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You will be able to convert one Stern wire harness to a different Stern wire harness---with difficulty. I'm too busy to talk about it right now. Back later.
Here is these main thoughts: Measure the harness from the edge of the play field to the wire connectors that go to the boards. This is the length of harness you have to maintain when you start moving wires around.

Here is a pic of the feature light wiring on Star Gazer and Meteor. There are 3 connectors associated with the feature light wiring. All 3 connectors, J-1,J-2, and J-3 connect to the LDA, or lamp driver board.

I mapped three wires.

1) J-1, pin 18 ( highlighted in green on both pin drawings ), calls out for BRN-B wire on both connectors at J1-18.

2) J1-17 ( highlighted in blue ), calls out for a Purple PUR wire at pin 17 on both connectors.

3) J1-11 ( highlighted in pink), calls out for a Black-Orange B-O wire on pin 11 at both connectors.

Stern QS prints 4 (resized).jpegStern QS prints 4 (resized).jpeg

You will need to map every wire and assure the same color is called out for on both drawings. If there is a difference you will need to do some swapping around. But since you are going to be using a 40 year old wire harness you should consider replacing every pin, so swapping wire colors around to get the right color on the correct pin is not extra work.

What you will not know until you starting working it is if the wire is going to be long enough. Here is an exaggerated explanation: J1-11 on Meteor might be close to the flippers, while J1-11 on Star Gazer might be located near the back of the play field; In this instance, your wire will be long enough with some left over.

However, on Meteor J1-18 might be located close the the back box while on Star Gazer J1-18 is down by the flippers. NOw you have a problem; Your wire is now too short. So, you will need to buy some longer length of wire or start doing some splicing and shrink wrap ( which should be for repair purposes only ).

The switch wiring will be just like the feature wiring.

ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION to the length of the wire from the edge of the play field to the connectors. It takes a lot more wire than you think.

EDIT: 3-4 years ago I would have not been able to say all that I said above, but here is the wiring for the Quicksilver I am building. This is the original QS wire harness but I have rerouted all of the play field wiring. I am not going to lead you astray.

From this:

To this:

#7077 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I made a Seawitch harness from scratch using a Last Action Hero harness as a donor.
But I'm a lunatic.

This does sound like Lunacy.

#7078 1 year ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Like gdonovan said awhile back: One wire at a time. That is all it is.

Once you completely understand the switch matrix and solenoid matrix, it all falls into place. It took me awhile to get there but after a long time of study, one day it all fell into place.

#7079 1 year ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Came out great!

20211106_200446 (resized).jpg20211106_200446 (resized).jpg

89a01495e39b17888aa195b191ee0ebb38a924ba (resized).jpg89a01495e39b17888aa195b191ee0ebb38a924ba (resized).jpg6bb3038e98684942237d236ecf1d8268be830d54 (resized).jpg6bb3038e98684942237d236ecf1d8268be830d54 (resized).jpg
#7080 1 year ago

pretty cool man, when DF pfs eventually drop I'm going to donor up my meteor, so good to know it's been done from other harnesses for other games.

#7081 1 year ago

Its too bad So many meteors and galaxies are being
Frankensteined into stargazers,quicksilvers etc.

None of my business but I hate to see an original game from the past essentially erased.

Just my opinion and I'll take the arrows.

#7082 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

None of my business but I hate to see an original game from the past essentially erased.

I'm right behind you, lowbeau67 - I'll take what arrows don't hit you first. We have, and enjoy, a pretty old Flash. Talk about an underappreciated game!

#7083 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

My Seawitch was built from scratch from a playfield destined to be a wall hanger. No pins were deconstructed by my hand in its resurrection.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition

1d73b436f844e49dfd4c4bd8be92d52a34af663b (resized).jpg1d73b436f844e49dfd4c4bd8be92d52a34af663b (resized).jpg20211018_192425 (resized).jpg20211018_192425 (resized).jpg9980dcbc8364288414e64a3c86b454ef228f3721 (resized).jpg9980dcbc8364288414e64a3c86b454ef228f3721 (resized).jpga464eaefb4bf6e9241bf3c427e3e7a68236c0abc (resized).jpga464eaefb4bf6e9241bf3c427e3e7a68236c0abc (resized).jpg
#7084 1 year ago

How does one test a transformer to see if itā€™s good? Just installed a new rectifier board in a project Split Second I picked up a few weeks ago and J3 pins 5 & 6 lit up like a Christmas tree. I had checked continuity between these two. I also only had J2 hooked up to test the voltages.

Looks like the transformer is set up for 115v and my wall is putting out 122v.

28863E3C-208C-46EB-8527-4056DD65EAC2 (resized).jpeg28863E3C-208C-46EB-8527-4056DD65EAC2 (resized).jpeg3A66D170-B8C5-4BF6-89DF-5E714CE9EF11 (resized).jpeg3A66D170-B8C5-4BF6-89DF-5E714CE9EF11 (resized).jpeg5FC319D4-5328-4C1D-A1B6-7A2E22A0A44D (resized).jpeg5FC319D4-5328-4C1D-A1B6-7A2E22A0A44D (resized).jpeg86A0A893-E5A1-4017-8683-49D633D4B9B8 (resized).jpeg86A0A893-E5A1-4017-8683-49D633D4B9B8 (resized).jpeg
#7085 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Looks like the transformer is set up for 115v and my wall is putting out 122v.

Should not make a difference there in regards to the fireworks.

#7086 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

I understand your misgivings, but 5100 Galaxies were produced, and 8100 Meteors.

1200 Quicksilvers, 879 Star Gazers were produced.

So, one has been traded for another.

Some Meteors have been sacrificed and the remaining ones are going up in price. That will slow down the sacrifice.

#7087 1 year ago

If we manage to over do it, someday there will be meteor and galaxy rescue / deconversion threads

#7088 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I understand your misgivings, but 5100 Galaxies were produced, and 8100 Meteors.
1200 Quicksilvers, 879 Star Gazers were produced.
So, one has been traded for another.
Some Meteors have been sacrificed and the remaining ones are going up in price. That will slow down the sacrifice.

Funny, isn't it. The market is sort of self-leveling. When we restored our Bally Sea Ray, we used parts from a dead Circus. It donated its backglass to someone else and its cabinet to yet a third collector. It lives on, so to speak, in the form of a bunch of organ transplants.

#7089 1 year ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

If we manage to overdue it, someday there will be meteor and galaxy rescue / deconversion threads

Some people are building new pins from scratch which is exciting too.

#7090 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Funny, isn't it. The market is sort of self-leveling. When we restored our Bally Sea Ray, we used parts from a dead Circus. It donated its backglass to someone else and its cabinet to yet a third collector. It lives on, so to speak, in the form of a bunch of organ transplants.

I bought a Hot Hand for a sacrifice. The boards were were bad. The back glass was fair, the play field was very nice. The back glass went to a guy with no back glass. The play field went to another guy whoā€™s HH play field was blown out. The transformer went to Gdonovan for his scratch build Seawitch for his wall hanger play field.

#7091 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think BarankandL boards have a free play Stern option right?
https://nvram.weebly.com/

The game referenced, Meteor, is a special case. The free play version I have includes a bug where you can underflow the bonus X to 255 and it counts for seemingly ever so I normally set Meteor requested MPUs to the stock, but bug fixed version without free play. There is also a custom home ROM for meteor in the combo ROM that has the bug fixed and free play.

#7092 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

ts too bad So many meteors and galaxies are being

If more people start playing Meteor and Galaxy with the Dick Hamill code, they might take a greater interest in those games. I have them and Stars in the lineup and love them all; I play Galaxy and Meteor on the new code exclusively.

But it is true that the low production numbers are something to consider. I *love* Star Gazer based on the one time I got to play one, but with pricing being what it is these days, the only way I will own one is if I scratch build it. Iā€™ve already decided to go scratch built for Nine Ball - these old machines just arenā€™t *worth* paying $5k-$7k just to get a hold of one that then needs to be restored. Itā€™s a pity that the only model for reissuing an early solid state classic is that absurdly overpriced Bally Fathom a couple years back. A Classic Stern reissue line would be fantastic, but then of course it would be all the issues of having enough pre-orders to make it worth the effort, etc.

(Arrows presumably coming my way for dissing the Bally Fathom reissue price point. I have counter-arguments prepared, lol.)

#7093 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Iā€™ve already decided to go scratch built for Nine Ball

NB is the special case. You need the single target drop target and the 8 position memory drop target. You can sacrifice a Flight 2000 to get the needed 8 position target but no one had talked of another source. If you can come up with the answer for these 2 parts---and the special drop target---you can do it. Without these 3 items NB is a no-go. And don't forget the transformer.

#7094 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

NB is the special case. You need the single target drop target and the 8 position memory drop target. You can sacrifice a Flight 2000 to get the needed 8 position target but no one had talked of another source. If you can come up with the answer for these 2 parts---and the special drop target---you can do it. Without these 3 items NB is a no-go. And don't forget the transformer.

Almost like you are throwing me a challenge bro.

#7095 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Almost like you are throwing me a challenge bro.

Do it!

#7096 1 year ago

I seem to be missing a playfield.

#7097 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

I am pretty sure my Meteor identifies as a Star Gazer.

#7098 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If you can come up with the answer for these 2 parts---and the special drop target---you can do it. Without these 3 items NB is a no-go. And don't forget the transformer.

I have all of these things, plus two sets of 3-bank drops, light/score panel wiring harness, cabinet harness, apron, shooter cover, and the oddball outhole/ball trough setup. Been collecting parts for over a year. Will need to figure out something for the playfield harness, but many people have solved that in different ways so Iā€™m not
letting that discourage me.

Next phase is building new cabinets, which I want to start doing on most of the classic sterns I see. (All of my cabinets are real dogs.) I have a friend who works for a CNC company and his shop is at-home. Just waiting for him to get the newly upgraded machine installed.

#7099 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I seem to be missing a playfield.

Iā€™m sure someone in the group bought a new playfield from Mirco and could sell you their used playfield.

#7100 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Will need to figure out something for the playfield harness, but many people have solved that in different ways so Iā€™m not
letting that discourage me.

NB will use the same displays harness as Seawitch and Catacomb. Try to have Third Coast build you the displays harness and cabinet harness if you do not already have those. You can make a cab harness easily enough, but what is your time worth?

For the play field, all you need is the wiring; You needs lots of long pieces. Wiring up the play field can eat some time, but if you take your time it is very easy to figure out. I mean, gdonovan built a harness from scratch; How hard can it be .

Once I get this Quicksilver finished I am going to make a training aid to walk everybody through the mysteries of the switch harness.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 142 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/142 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.