6bb3038e98684942237d236ecf1d8268be830d54 (resized).jpg
89a01495e39b17888aa195b191ee0ebb38a924ba (resized).jpg
20211106_200446 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
Stern QS prints 4 (resized).jpeg
E43FD0BE-7086-4EF6-B553-3FA743D185D0 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 139 of 143.
#6901 57 days ago

Looks like the QS serial numbers are all even.

#6902 57 days ago

A few here with odd numbers https://ipsnd.net/view.aspx?id=1895

#6903 57 days ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Mine was front of the cab, left of the coin door near the bottom & the top left side of the head. I thought they were all stamped in these same two places?
Do you still have pics of you cab when you got it before repainting?

Looks like my Serial# is no more sadly My QS has moved and now jammed into the corner and access is limited, but cab serial is defo smoothed over, head box I can't get to, but assume the same :-/

I found some photos of when I bought my QS. Condition was a good starting point.

How's yours coming along??

14084B32-F727-4C22-86D6-890E1C006FD3_1_105_c (resized).jpeg625F8B37-7431-477E-82EC-40508A52A2C1_1_105_c (resized).jpeg7F76F822-4E4B-46F9-8466-CA4A8B65CD5A_1_105_c (resized).jpegB869D9C4-9680-460A-9A4D-A48DB91B5910_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

#6904 57 days ago

I know when I got my QS it was Covered in Green & Purple Fabric ,

once I unpicked all the Staples it looked like this

image (resized).jpeg

it is an Australian Delivered machine , But as you can see the Numbers have been sanded off

#6905 57 days ago

I found the the Fabric Pics

image1 (resized).jpeg

image2 (resized).jpeg

image3 (resized).jpeg

#6906 57 days ago
Quoted from Dicky:

I found the the Fabric Pics
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Gorgeous

#6907 57 days ago

Now its all restored Looks Stunning with a Special Pooled Mirco Playfield , plays great just don't look at my Pools

#6908 57 days ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Only 2 off my number! My game was ex Melbourne too.
Mine has the writing on the lockdown bar visible as well. Looks like 38/72 but may be 38/22? I can't tell.
I have read the total number indicated on a lockdown bar is not actually the quantity of that actual title allocated for that country, can't remember what it was a measure of.
I have seen lockdown bars with USA that have all different numbers for the total that are seen on the the same title's lockdown bar.
So close together off production & having the same Cheetah & Stargazer harness tags confirms what Vec-tor suggested, that whatever was available was used to keep the line running.
[quoted image]

I have a Stargazer that was Australian Delivered going by picture of the lockdown bar 10/10

pasted_image (resized).jpeg

Cabinet Stamping was a bit strange look at the Head box

image (resized).jpeg

#6909 57 days ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Now its all restored Looks Stunning with a Special Pooled Mirco Playfield , plays great just don't look at my Pools

I had my repro playfield re-cleared by Geoff up your way. Mirco clear sucks balls!! Please contact me if you decide to part ways with your Stargazer. Stars will likely be my next resto, desperate to find another Classic Stern

#6910 56 days ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Looks like my Serial# is no more sadly My QS has moved and now jammed into the corner and access is limited, but cab serial is defo smoothed over, head box I can't get to, but assume the same :-/

Looks like their was a serial number on the pic of the front of the cab, just left of the middle coin door carriage bolt but can't make out the digits. I think they normally do seem to get sanded off when repainted.

Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

How's yours coming along??

Slow! really just been slowly chipping away at it while I save up some cash for the big ticket items. Boards, mechs & apron done, coin door nearly done, other that have just enjoying it as it's at least playing great.

Will be ordering a film from Coos to make a new backglass next.

#6911 56 days ago
Quoted from Dicky:

I have a Stargazer that was Australian Delivered going by picture of the lockdown bar 10/10

10 really does seem like a probable number for allocation to Australia. I only know of 2 others here in oz, one guy in WA & one collector here in Adelaide who found his game about 15-20 years ago, probably locally - that was first time I had seen a Stargazer.

#6912 56 days ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Can you explain more about this? I didn't know anyone was selling film as a do it yourself for backglasses. What is the cost?

#6913 56 days ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

10 really does seem like a probable number for allocation to Australia. I only know of 2 others here in oz, one guy in WA & one collector here in Adelaide who found his game about 15-20 years ago, probably locally - that was first time I had seen a Stargazer.

I found out a little history on mine
It was operated in the early days , then was purchased for home use ,which was there only machine ,it had minimal plays at home ,then wasn’t played and put into storage for about 7 years
I then had donated the machine to Pinaball Masters here in Brisbane & had a guy come up to me said he was the Tech operator on this actual machine all them years ago & told me he had the original Manual for it , it has now been reunited with the machine

The Playfield also has the Hairy Knee version

#6914 56 days ago
Quoted from ita47:

Can you explain more about this? I didn't know anyone was selling film as a do it yourself for backglasses. What is the cost?

Bgresto prints on a film and adheres it to a backglass and ships to you. Coos prints on a film and ships only the film to you. You adhere the film to your backglass.

pinhead52 Ken has bought several films from Coos and he’s been very happy with his products. Price with shipping is cheaper than Bgresto and you can order several films to all fit in the same package. Also product ships 1-2 weeks after ordered vs. 8-12 weeks from Bgresto.

#6915 56 days ago
Quoted from ita47:

Gary has put up a nice instructional vid here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition/page/26#post-6854460

Details on cost:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition/page/26#post-6854598

#6916 56 days ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Looks like their was a serial number on the pic of the front of the cab, just left of the middle coin door carriage bolt but can't make out the digits. I think they normally do seem to get sanded off when repainted.

Slow! really just been slowly chipping away at it while I save up some cash for the big ticket items. Boards, mechs & apron done, coin door nearly done, other that have just enjoying it as it's at least playing great.

Well spotted. I've done my best detective work but can't decipher it... maybe 10542 ?

Taking your time for such a rare and sought after machine is the perfect restoration speed. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 11.54.01 am (resized).png
#6917 56 days ago

Mine had the SG harness

DSC00188 (resized).JPGIMG_20120304_120009 (resized).jpg
#6918 54 days ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Dude just order the modern stern/sega/data east pop bumper assemblies from pinball life. Time saver big time.
https://www.pinballlife.com/desega-pop-bumper-assembly.html

I bought these and installed them in a fairly simple swap out, but what about the old pop bumper cap? Big Game's pop bumper caps don't fit the new assembly as the old cap's mounting holes are further apart. Play-wise, these are quite an upgrade and really pepped up my game.

#6919 54 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I bought these and installed them in a fairly simple swap out, but what about the old pop bumper cap? Big Game's pop bumper caps don't fit the new assembly as the old cap's mounting holes are further apart. Play-wise, these are quite an upgrade and really pepped up my game.

Swap the Big Game parts over to the new assemblies. After you remove the pop bumper light they are attached with 2 screws.

#6920 54 days ago

Big Game uses the older tulip style pop bumper bodies.
https://www.pinballlife.com/pop-bumper-body-older-style.html

How did you manage to fit that new base onto your playfield thought? I converted my Big Game and had to shave the base rings to fit.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-club-the-safari-has-started/page/33#post-6861273

Ring shave (resized).jpeg
#6921 54 days ago

With the top cap removed, the entire assembly slid up through the hole and mounted into place. Fit wasn't a problem on my cabinet.

#6922 53 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

With the top cap removed, the entire assembly slid up through the hole and mounted into place. Fit wasn't a problem on my cabinet.

I have seen a lot of variations in hole size.

#6923 53 days ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

How did you manage to fit that new base onto your playfield thought? I converted my Big Game and had to shave the base rings to fit.

Oh man, great idea. I need to buy a Dremel. It was such a tight squeeze to fit in the pinball life ones and they sit so low that the action is severely compromised. Did you shave around the circle or the flat base as well?

#6924 53 days ago

GorillaBiscuits Just around the circle/ring that inserts into the pf, as shown in the pic. It makes a royal mess. I tried to use my router but found the dremel with the carving bit was just easier. Don't worry too much about the aesthetic smoothness of the shave because once it's in the pf, you can't see it.

If you want to spend some dough, swinks did design one that will fit without modification. Pricey in comparison though. https://www.shapeways.com/product/V444LZ2SY/classic-stern-gen-1-pop-bumper-brkt-conversion?optionId=227810695&li=marketplace

#6925 53 days ago

Thanks! Yeah, $75 a pop is a little too rich for me. Dremel it is, appreciate it! Mine sit so low after I jammed them in that it's impossible to get a proper hit to register a lot of times.

#6926 53 days ago

Big Game uses the older tulip style pop bumper bodies.
https://www.pinballlife.com/pop-bumper-body-older-style.html
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-game-club-the-safari-has-started/page/33#post-6861273
[quoted image]

Instead of shaving the base rings, I got the cheapo drum sanding kit from Harbor Freight and took a couple of thousandths of wood from the inside of the holes for a fit.

https://www.harborfreight.com/sanding-drum-kit-20-pc-60741.html

image (resized).jpeg

#6927 53 days ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Mine sit so low after I jammed them in that it's impossible to get a proper hit to register a lot of times.

My OG plastic pops measure .550" from the mounting base to the top of ring. My black plastic Pinball Life pops measure .520" from the mounting base to the top of the ring. I do not have any problems with them sitting low. I have no answer and no solution.

#6928 53 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My OG plastic pops measure .550" from the mounting base to the top of ring. My black plastic Pinball Life pops measure .520" from the mounting base to the top of the ring. I do not have any problems with them sitting low. I have no answer and no solution.

I bet once I shave down the circle part it should have clearance to move up a bit, thanks!

#6929 53 days ago

Speaking of Big Game, any news regarding repro playfields from any makers? This will be my first restoration attempt and lack of options are of course holding me up

#6930 53 days ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Speaking of Big Game, any news regarding repro playfields from any makers? This will be my first restoration attempt and lack of options are of course holding me up

I had sent Greatwich art before he folded up operations. I believe that all went to Greg at Fantastic. No idea if he is still pursuing it.

If history is any indicator Fantastic will offer Big Game at some point and CPR will immediately announce their version of Big Game with shittier artwork. That Seawitch maneuver was shameless.

#6931 53 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Instead of shaving the base rings, I got the cheapo drum sanding kit from Harbor Freight and took a couple of thousandths of wood from the inside of the holes for a fit.
https://www.harborfreight.com/sanding-drum-kit-20-pc-60741.html
[quoted image]

I used a router with a high speed metal bit for Seawitch, removed the wood in a very controlled manner. Nice and smooth.

#6932 53 days ago

GorillaBiscuits Just around the circle/ring that inserts into the pf, as shown in the pic. It makes a royal mess. I tried to use my router but found the dremel with the carving bit was just easier. Don't worry too much about the aesthetic smoothness of the shave because once it's in the pf, you can't see it.
If you want to spend some dough, swinks did design one that will fit without modification. Pricey in comparison though. https://www.shapeways.com/product/V444LZ2SY/classic-stern-gen-1-pop-bumper-brkt-conversion?optionId=227810695&li=marketplace

sorry about the price, it is shapeways prices and they just jumped up in the last 24hrs and I am not changing my small commission. They charge for the plastic used but also the volume the part takes up in their printer limiting other parts going in as well.

#6933 53 days ago
Quoted from swinks:

sorry about the price, it is shapeways prices and they just jumped up in the last 24hrs and I am not changing my small commission. They charge for the plastic used but also the volume the part takes up in their printer limiting other parts going in as well.

The price is the price. It is not like the costs to produce can be spread over 10,000 units. For some of this stuff, whoever steps up to make something will probably be lucky to sell 20-30 units.

I suck in my breath every time I order parts. And then I get a grip and realize pinball lives in the realm of small numbers and Walmart will never be selling pin parts.

#6934 53 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The price is the price. It is not like the costs to produce can be spread over 10,000 units. For some of this stuff, whoever steps up to make something will probably be lucky to sell 20-30 units.
I suck in my breath every time I order parts. And then I get a grip and realize pinball lives in the realm of small numbers and Walmart will never be selling pin parts.

Very True

If there was enough interest like the Classic Stern Tombstone Targets and Stern Coin Chute Plates I could get a batch done through Zelta3D in Singapore who are great on bulk part prices (still solid laser bound nylon) - cutting the price in half at times when I order 25-100 at a time. Through Shapeways the targets are $18AUD each for me just to buy before I add a small commission to on sell and when I get 100 through Zelta I can sell them to you for $10 AUD each and give an 11th for free for every 10 purchased.

4D631C93-E40E-494F-A87B-3A5257A85840_1_105_c (resized).jpegB7CB2F79-B488-445B-BFAF-B372C53EC7DD_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
#6935 47 days ago

Does anyone know if any other manufacturers used aprons identical to the classic Stern ones? It’s easy to spot the differences between Stern, Bally, and Gottlieb, but I was looking at pics of a late 70’s Gameplan apron, and I can’t spot a difference.

#6936 47 days ago
Quoted from pabrimmer:

Does anyone know if any other manufacturers used aprons identical to the classic Stern ones? It’s easy to spot the differences between Stern, Bally, and Gottlieb, but I was looking at pics of a late 70’s Gameplan apron, and I can’t spot a difference.

I don't have a Game Plan to compare but I agree. Comparing pics, they appear to be the same as a classic Stern.

#6937 47 days ago

I don't have a Game Plan to compare but I agree. Comparing pics, they appear to be the same as a classic Stern.

Good enough for me, thanks! I think I’ll go ahead and grab the one I have my eye on for my upcoming build

#6938 47 days ago
Quoted from pabrimmer:

I can check later tonight. I have a Game Plan Sharpshooter and several classic Sterns.

#6939 47 days ago

Anybody got a good blue paint code for Star Gazer they can share?

#6940 47 days ago

The Game Plan apron is the same as the classic Sterns with the exception of the location of the mounting holes and the size of the opening on the lower front side.A394E068-3683-4F53-AEFD-F25E108FCC90 (resized).jpeg

2BBD1F89-05A2-47E8-AFAD-DC8FF6C93DB7 (resized).jpeg7D1B6EA6-F8CF-449C-8ABA-3FE4C5CCBC63 (resized).jpeg806F9A6D-FB78-4784-8D0B-4734B4C44422 (resized).jpeg83628250-9DD6-4A19-8C59-46E6BD68A82C (resized).jpeg
#6941 47 days ago
Quoted from ita47:

The Game Plan apron is the same as the classic Sterns with the exception of the location of the mounting holes and the size of the opening on the lower front side.

This is exactly what I needed to know, thanks so much!

#6942 47 days ago
Quoted from ita47:

The Game Plan apron is the same as the classic Sterns with the exception of the location of the mounting holes and the size of the opening on the lower front side.[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I demand my apron back

#6943 47 days ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I demand my apron back

Indian giver, hey.... You should have seen the mouse nest that was under it LOL!!!!

#6944 45 days ago

Just got done reading this whole thread. What a great source of information.

In the spring I picked up a Meteor. This is my second Meteor that I've owned. Traded my last one a few years ago and missed it ever since. Also had a Big Game that I should've kept. Well anyway...the classic sterns started falling from the sky for me. Picked up a F2K, then a Galaxy, a Trident, a Wild Fyre, and last a Lightning. All with in a few months. I've collected 6 classic sterns in a row and I'm thinking about turning my Wild Fyre into a Quicksilver. I can't explain it and really don't need to as the love for these classics is strong with everyone here. But they are just a blast to play.

Here's a few pictures. I've shopped Meteor and Galaxy and I'm currently working F2K. Next will be Trident and I'll order the new code that Mr Hamil put together for both Trident and Galaxy. I have his code in Meteor and it's amazing. Highly recommended.
20220327_104059 (resized).jpg
20220425_165616 (resized).jpg
20220606_103307 (resized).jpg

#6945 45 days ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Just got done reading this whole thread. What a great source of information.
In the spring I picked up a Meteor. This is my second Meteor that I've owned. Traded my last one a few years ago and missed it ever since. Also had a Big Game that I should've kept. Well anyway...the classic sterns started falling from the sky for me. Picked up a F2K, then a Galaxy, a Trident, a Wild Fyre, and last a Lightning. All with in a few months. I've collected 6 classic sterns in a row and I'm thinking about turning my Wild Fyre into a Quicksilver. I can't explain it and really don't need to as the love for these classics is strong with everyone here. But they are just a blast to play.
Here's a few pictures. I've shopped Meteor and Galaxy and I'm currently working F2K. Next will be Trident and I'll order the new code that Mr Hamil put together for both Trident and Galaxy. I have his code in Meteor and it's amazing. Highly recommended.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nice Lineup!

#6948 39 days ago

Star Gazer ball guides are back in stock at Mantis Pinball. I had to twist Kerry’s arm a little for him to do another run. He said this was a “small” run so get them while you can. I would snag a set ASAP if you are planning to do a Star Gazer scratch build.

C1577F5D-F455-4FE4-BE12-897B487C2600 (resized).jpeg
#6949 38 days ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

I had sent Greatwich art before he folded up operations. I believe that all went to Greg at Fantastic. No idea if he is still pursuing it.
If history is any indicator Fantastic will offer Big Game at some point and CPR will immediately announce their version of Big Game with shittier artwork. That Seawitch maneuver was shameless.

There was a local guy that was working on the art, but other things seemed to have taken up his time. Greg at Fantastic, along with CPR, & Mirco. You can bet 1 or more will do it sometime in the future. Thanks to all the guys who bought my stuff over the years. Glad to see Greg move along with improvements, & I got to enjoy a year of my retirement not making stuff. If anyone is visiting Halifax, let me know.

#6950 35 days ago

Hey gang,

So the trough eject on my Ali seems to have stopped working. When you start a game it makes the reset sound and the coils on the drops activate repeatedly as if stuck in a loop, but the coil doesn’t fire and the ball stays put at the top of the trough by the flippers.

Any advice on how to chase down the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 7,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 139 of 143.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!