229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 215.
#6701 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

OK, boys and girls, I traded emails with Kerry at Mantis; inquiring about the Stern slingshots, coin door flaps, coin door skins, and the 3 beauty angles that surround the coin door.
He said he made coin door skins at one time and they did not sell.
Basically, we are dealing with the law of small numbers with these parts. Unless he gets back to me with some surprise action, I don't see any of these items happening.

Odd as you think that the skins would sell better than the guide sets for "x"

Skins you can use on any title, the guide set only on one. I'll assume the guide sets are made as needed and some of the skins might need a third party involved and thus a minimum order number.

#6702 1 year ago

Would really love a couple sets of slingshots. Is there anyone else that does this kind of thing that we could approach?

#6703 1 year ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Would really love a couple sets of slingshots. Is there anyone else that does this kind of thing that we could approach?

Maybe pinballlife can be convinced to remake these like he did with the flipper mechs.

#6704 1 year ago

I'm projecting here, but I worry Kerry is hung up on old experiences when these scratch builds and restorations were not as in demand as they were even 2-3 years ago. He told just a couple weeks ago it's unlikely he'll do another batch of Star Gazer ball guides. Or maybe he's just burnt out? I hope not!

#6705 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I'm projecting here, but I worry Kerry is hung up on old experiences when these scratch builds and restorations were not as in demand as they were even 2-3 years ago. He told just a couple weeks ago it's unlikely he'll do another batch of Star Gazer ball guides. Or maybe he's just burnt out? I hope not!

How many scratch builders need a coin door?

#6706 1 year ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

With prices of everything shooting to the moon, how much would you pay for a pair of sling levers?

The last time I canvassed people about price, I think &25.00 each was about what anyone would pay.

Maybe Pinball Life would be who to call as PL said he would not step on Kerry’s toes.

#6707 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

With prices of everything shooting to the moon, how much would you pay for a pair of slims levers?
The last time I canvassed people about price, I think &25.00 each was about what anyone would pay.
Maybe Pinball Life would be who to call as PL said he would not step on Kerry’s toes.

Yeah, I'd say $25 is my limit. I could commit to two, possibly three additional if my next project comes through soon.

#6708 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How many scratch builders need a coin door?

Bally coin doors skins seem to be good sellers.

#6709 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Bally coin doors skins seem to be good sellers.

And Marcos used to stock classic Stern coin door skins.

#6710 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

And Marcos used to stock classic Stern coin door skins.

We’re they just working off of NOS stuff until sold out?

#6711 1 year ago

I imagine the Stern coin door skins Marco used to stock were the ones Mantis made?
One thing worth noting, I have discovered their are actually 4 different versions of the Stern coin door skins.

First version - All prior to Magic. Coin reject button around the centre position.
Second version- Magic, Trident, maybe others, Coin reject on the left side.
Third version- Meteor (some but not all) coin reject hole & mech mounting holes all about 10 mm to the left compared to the previous version. Double switch bracket.
Forth version- Later Meteor & all from then on. 3 holes for mounting replacing the 2 on all previous doors, no cutout on the top right edge of the inner skin (unknown purpose) no extra hole above credit button hole in inner skin (unknown purpose)

The only two versions that can be easily altered to be interchangeable skins are the MPU 200 versions 3 & 4 as it's essentially only the 2 or 3 mounting holes the difference. The MPU 200 mechs won’t line up on the earlier doors as they are actually slightly different design mechs as well as positioning so won't line up with the coin reject button & coin chutes.

The demand would mainly be for the last MPU 200 version I would assume.

#6712 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

We’re they just working off of NOS stuff until sold out?

They weren’t nos, and neither are the Bally skins they sell. They either bought from another vendor and marked them up, or sourced from a manufacturer. They probably did the later.

#6713 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Fourth version- Later Meteor & all from then on. 3 holes for mounting replacing the 2 on all previous doors, no cutout on the top right edge of the inner skin (unknown purpose) no extra hole above credit button hole in inner skin (unknown purpose)

The demand would mainly be for the last MPU 200 version I would assume.

Most if not all of the people that converted mpu100 pins will want to buy the fourth version skin to make their coin door look factory correct.

#6714 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Most if not all of the people that converted mpu100 pins will want to buy the fourth version skin to make their coin door look factory correct.

Yes, that's true, but they will also still need to find a complete MPU 200 donor door to get the mechs to fit the latest version correct style skin if they were available, as the "guts" of their MPU 100 is not suitable to change over, unless you drill & tap new hole positions to mount the earlier hardware.

#6715 1 year ago

anyone know where I can purchase a link/plunger for the drop target mech? ours melted along with the coil and I'm not having any luck finding one. maybe a bally version will work? part number is #A-398-STN

#6716 1 year ago

I believe most metal stuff with Marco Specialties is sourced out locally in their area. Not interested in making stuff if others are going to do the same. I was interested in trying to do classic Stern target banks, but waiting to see if multiple parties do anything. Risky business with everyone doing the same thing.

#6717 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

anyone know where I can purchase a link/plunger for the drop target mech? ours melted along with the coil and I'm not having any luck finding one. maybe a bally version will work? part number is #A-398-STN

PBR sells link material (fiber board) in their tools / supplies section. There are pretty easy to make with common hand tools and a Dremel.

#6719 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Maybe pinballlife can be convinced to remake these like he did with the flipper mechs.

I really hope someone like Pinballlife will make these. Mine have so much wear they nearly hit the nail! I think if some people checked their slingshots for wear & realised how worn they were & how much better it must play with tight ones they would have to sell quite a few sets. I would pay $25.00 or more.

38FD84C8-87EC-42E1-BF68-E7F438BFCE66 (resized).jpeg38FD84C8-87EC-42E1-BF68-E7F438BFCE66 (resized).jpegD71FDC62-A774-41CD-B446-72E1759914BA (resized).jpegD71FDC62-A774-41CD-B446-72E1759914BA (resized).jpeg

#6720 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

I really hope someone like Pinballlife will make these. Mine have so much wear they nearly hit the nail! I think is some people checked their slingshots for wear & realised how worn they were & how much better it must play with tight ones they would have to sell quite a few sets. I would pay $25.00 or more.
[quoted image][quoted image]

The point I’m trying to make is that I don’t think $25.00 is enough of incentive for anyone to take these on.

#6721 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The point I’m trying to make is that I don’t think $25.00 is enough of incentive for anyone to take these on.

Tough sale for sure. You have the base fabrication (laser or water jet) and then have to bend and rivet/press the pieces together. I'd wager minimum a $100 a pair with no coils or plunger and thats a WAG.

New DE/Stern style units are $50 fully loaded each from Pinball life but only fit a narrow range of classic titles. Dumb luck the DE units I had fit Seawitch so I went ahead and ordered new ones for Quicksilver... and the switch holes are not in the same locations =(

All classic Bally the DE ones won't fit either, every one I have checked so far Bally had lamps right behind the switches and it doesn't work.

I have a feeling I'm going to be sitting on the new DE units for a long time unless I cannibalize them for parts.

#6722 1 year ago

yea the plunger part is good the plastic link is melted so I need that. figured easier to find the whole thing.

#6723 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

I really hope someone like Pinballlife will make these. Mine have so much wear they nearly hit the nail! I think if some people checked their slingshots for wear & realised how worn they were & how much better it must play with tight ones they would have to sell quite a few sets. I would pay $25.00 or more.

Have you tried replacing the plunger and adding a brass washer to the connection?
https://www.pinballlife.com/slingshotballshooter-plunger-and-link-2-18-plunger.html

#6724 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

I think if some people checked their slingshots for wear & realised how worn they were & how much better it must play with tight ones they would have to sell quite a few sets.

They do play great. I got some NOS ones several years ago from ebay and they ended up in my Meteor and Flight 2000 games. Huge difference.... so much so I checked my other bally/wms games and ended up replacing several there as well. If it rocks laterally at all, it gets replaced.

I always put new switches in as well. The old mangled ones don't adjust very well since the blades aren't flat.

#6725 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Have you tried replacing the plunger and adding a brass washer to the connection?
https://www.pinballlife.com/slingshotballshooter-plunger-and-link-2-18-plunger.html

No, I haven't replaced the plunger or added a washer, will look at that. The excessive lateral movement appears to be due to all the wear to the pivot pin & the arm socket.

Quoted from slochar:

They do play great. I got some NOS ones several years ago from ebay and they ended up in my Meteor and Flight 2000 games. Huge difference.... so much so I checked my other bally/wms games and ended up replacing several there as well. If it rocks laterally at all, it gets replaced.
I always put new switches in as well. The old mangled ones don't adjust very well since the blades aren't flat.

That's good to hear that it does make a huge difference.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6726 1 year ago

You could even just try adding washers to your current plungers. I’ve found a lot of lateral movement eliminated by what I posted above though. The new plunger links are marginally thicker than original fiber ones, which also often have worn out link holes from years of rotations.

#6727 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Another issue us the pivot point which is riveted in some cases breaks loose and causes slop.

A quick spot or two with a welder fixes that problem.

#6728 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

yea the plunger part is good the plastic link is melted so I need that. figured easier to find the whole thing.

Here is the plunger and link. I think this I the assembly for the drop target coil. But not 100% sure. It could be for Stern flippers.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-197

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#6729 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

you can eliminate some of the slop by replacing the bracket with one from PL. You have to make a mod by notching out the inside hole under the base of the pivot pin. And you will have to drill one new hole for screw placement.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-kicker-mounting-bracket.html

Another inisider came up with a way to replace the worn pin with a bolt that worked out for him. but I can't find the thread.

#6730 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here is the plunger and link. I think this I the assembly for the drop target coil. But not 100% sure. It could be for Stern flippers.
[quoted image]

I think that is the flipper one.

#6731 1 year ago

Recently picked up a Quicksilver. It’s missing the metal trim with tabs that go on top of the backglass. Is this piece available anywhere or unobtainium? Would like to be able to lock the backbox. Thanks

36D7875F-FB17-4138-88DE-C86853B16036 (resized).jpeg36D7875F-FB17-4138-88DE-C86853B16036 (resized).jpeg
#6732 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I think that is the flipper one.

I'll have to root through my parts bin and check.

#6733 1 year ago
Quoted from jk:

Recently picked up a Quicksilver. It’s missing the metal trim with tabs that go on top of the backglass. Is this piece available anywhere or unobtainium? Would like to be able to lock the backbox. Thanks
[quoted image]

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/P-6229-27

#6734 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

New DE/Stern style units are $50 fully loaded each from Pinball life but only fit a narrow range of classic titles. Dumb luck the DE units I had fit Seawitch so I went ahead and ordered new ones for Quicksilver... and the switch holes are not in the same locations =(

Are you saying I cannot rob a sling assembly from my Robocop and move it to my classic Sterns? Was looking at the self-contained sling units. What are my options?

#6736 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

you can eliminate some of the slop by replacing the bracket with one from PL. You have to make a mod by notching out the inside hole under the base of the pivot pin. And you will have to drill one new hole for screw placement.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-kicker-mounting-bracket.html
[quoted image]
Another inisider came up with a way to replace the worn pin with a bolt that worked out for him. but I can't find the thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lectronamo-rebuild/page/7#post-4602455

#6737 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Are you saying I cannot rob a sling assembly from my Robocop and move it to my classic Sterns? Was looking at the self-contained sling units. What are my options?

It depends if it has even holes or not.

#6738 1 year ago

I will pull my slingshots out & have a good look at what to replace & see how they can be improved with all the above suggestions.

I came across an old thread on the Aussiearcade forum last night regarding slingshot repairs done by a local guy I know. The repair is mentioned near the bottom of the page in the thread in link below.

I asked him about the repairs & he said he was able to machine new pins at his work to fit the sleeves, then the pins were peened on. Appears to be a great result. Assuming that if a sleeve has been bored out fairly evenly from all the movement, a slightly larger diameter pin should create a nice firm coupling again. Probably not viable to get done at a machine shop for most people but good to see excellent quality repairs carried out on original slingshots.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/63962-stern-galaxy-restoration/page/3/

#6739 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]

yea that's a flipper link/shaft. I'm pretty sure the drop target link is larger than the flipper one tho. looking like I'll have to remove one from a working drop and attempt to make/3d print it

#6741 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Probably not viable to get done at a machine shop for most people but good to see excellent quality repairs carried out on original slingshots.

That's the problem. A custom oversize pin can be turned, the pivot sleeve can be bored oversized for clean up, but machine shop time is not cheap.

Maybe someone with good rapport with Terry at Pinball Life can get some sort of ball rolling ( no pun intended).

#6742 1 year ago

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/547262640355568/

Dracula project east of Indy. Retailer Doc Pinball.

#6743 1 year ago

Maybe Swinks can make the arm. If the ring and rod assemblies they make can take the stress maybe the slingshot arms could also. Just a guess.

#6744 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

Maybe Swinks can make the arm. If the ring and rod assemblies they make can take the stress maybe the slingshot arms could also. Just a guess.

I don't think 3D printed plastic would hold up the the rigors. But it is something think about. Maybe you could ask Swinks. He can 3D print in metal but I don't know the impact resistance.

#6745 1 year ago

I dropped the new Meteor 2021 code into my Meteor pin and I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised. The new code and stereo sound make it seem like a completely different game. The shots are all still there but my go to Meteor strategy won’t get me very far in the new code. The game is really task oriented now (like a more modern pin). I took the lazy route and just bought the plug and play kit off the Pinside market. Well worth the $169 in my opinion.

#6746 1 year ago

Anyone have a set of Star Gazer ball guides they are willing to part with? Mantis is out. Please hit me up with a PM.

#6747 1 year ago

Can someone with a Stars or MPU-100 game send a few closeups of the MPU connectors? Having a lot of trouble tracing down some gremlins on mine. One coil not firing at all. Some coils misfiring intermittently. Checked schematics but none seem to have wiring colors for the MPU connectors specifically.

#6748 1 year ago
Quoted from dddanielll:

Can someone with a Stars or MPU-100 game send a few closeups of the MPU connectors? Having a lot of trouble tracing down some gremlins on mine. One coil not firing at all. Some coils misfiring intermittently. Checked schematics but none seem to have wiring colors for the MPU connectors specifically.

[edit]

Oh sorry, just saw you specifically meant MPU.
------
Just be aware, there may be some errors in the original schematics.. I know mine had a wire mismatched. I think it was related to the bumper coil from the driver board.

#6749 1 year ago

How is the one and only stand-up target on Meteor wired up. I think mine had a diode and cap at one time but those were removed. Meteor 2021 uses that target a lot and I need it more responsive. This is what I did. Is it correct?

20220521_162715 (resized).jpg20220521_162715 (resized).jpg20220521_163735 (resized).jpg20220521_163735 (resized).jpg
#6750 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

How is the one and only stand-up target on Meteor wired up. I think mine had a diode and cap at one time but those were removed. Meteor 2021 uses that target a lot and I need it more responsive. This is what I did. Is it correct?

NOPE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 169.00
$ 169.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
$ 169.00
$ 169.00
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

2,182 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Myers, FL
$ 959.00
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/135 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.