D732EBFE-6516-40D1-9527-FA14EEF9F876.jpeg
BBEC5DB5-5B92-4D58-A03C-88E7FF3E1F4B.jpeg
3E8C0DB1-D672-4633-A3F8-08C309266458.gif
20210831_185811 (resized).jpg
20210926_153927 (resized).jpg
20210929_202550 (resized).jpg
1632592970552336974950271113451 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5788 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 116.
#5701 25 days ago

Is Ali that good of a game that no one is suggesting dumping it? I've never played one.

#5702 25 days ago

What do you think in all original Stargazer would go for? Nice cab and great BG - with a Greatwhich pf to go with it?

#5703 25 days ago

Greatwich pfs are not so great

#5704 25 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Is Ali that good of a game that no one is suggesting dumping it? I've never played one.

I was wondering the same. Never played one.

#5705 25 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I like it better than Big Game.

#5706 24 days ago
Quoted from Methos:

I like it better than Big Game.

I like Cheetah better than Big Game, but I saw you don't think highly of Cheetah. In Big Game, the sequence of rip left spinner/saucer/B-I-G lanes to pop bumpers is what kills the buzz of fast game play in the lower part of the playfield. When ripping spinners in Cheetah, the game continues to something else useful. Even the spinner that leads to Cheetah's pop bumpers has the side goal of randomly hitting the bonus-building drops at the top.

#5707 24 days ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I like Cheetah better than Big Game, but I saw you don't think highly of Cheetah. In Big Game, the sequence of rip left spinner/saucer/B-I-G lanes to pop bumpers is what kills the buzz of fast game play in the lower part of the playfield. When ripping spinners in Cheetah, the game continues to something else useful. Even the spinner that leads to Cheetah's pop bumpers has the side goal of randomly hitting the bonus-building drops at the top.

I need to correct my statement. I like Cheetah better than Big Game but I don't believe Cheetah is worth a new build. They come up from time to time. I totally get why people want to build Quicksilvers and Stargazers; Cheetah - I think I would turn to build a Frontier or something like that instead.

#5708 24 days ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Greatwich pfs are not so great

Other than the colors/shades of blue that has been discussed, I am interested in why you say this.

I just finished with my Star Gazer build and I am happy with with how it turned out.

I look at my Seawitch play field and set it next to CPR's Catacomb repro and Mirco's Nine Ball and Quicksilver. They all look good to me.

What are you seeing that makes you say this? What are you comparing it to?

#5709 24 days ago

Link to my Stern Lightning video of lighting mods https://www.facebook.com/100010014877888/posts/1578055825871565/?d=n

6E5C7269-DE13-460F-86C9-8573E6FF4960 (resized).jpeg
#5710 23 days ago

Absolutely love it. Love this game too. I have to do some insert work on my playfield this winter. I may make some of those lighting mods you did. Looks really really good!

-jeff

#5711 23 days ago
Quoted from jwalrath:

Absolutely love it. Love this game too. I have to do some insert work on my playfield this winter. I may make some of those lighting mods you did. Looks really really good!
-jeff

Check out my other topics on replacing the 2 large blue triangle inserts Those are the new replacements in the video

F4D1837E-AD77-40C9-BBC9-913981D95956 (resized).jpeg
#5712 23 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Other than the colors/shades of blue that has been discussed, I am interested in why you say this.

Yeah, the shade of blue is not even close. When ordering we spoke on the phone, he made no mention of this.
This is unacceptable to me, and now I'm left with sourcing/creating new plastics to match. I didn't sign up for that.

1632510924405265748582589523667 (resized).jpg
#5713 23 days ago

There's new playfields on the way from Greatwich's successors with corrected colors, supposedly very soon. I'm sure you could resell that one pretty easy.

#5714 23 days ago

Notwithstanding, if you do come up with color matched plastics I would be interested in buying a set.

#5715 23 days ago

I'll post here when I have them, and can make as many as needed, once they are right.

#5716 23 days ago
Quoted from Methos:

It's time to thin the herd. I have to let 2 go. Here is what I have to choose from:
Big Game
Ali
Sea Witch
Catacomb
Nine Ball
Stars
Cheetah
I'm leaning towards Big Game for certain, and either Sea Witch or Catacomb. I have a Beatles, so having Sea Witch - I admit doesn't play exactly like Beatles, but close might be the best choice. I never really got into Catacomb too much. Stars is too damn much fun. I have a few others but they ain't leaving (QS DF, SG) although the only one I would let go is StarGazer but it would have to be a pretty hefty price tag. I'm not sure I would sell my QS or DF for even obscene amounts.....well you never know.
Any recommendations?

I would push Seawitch and Catacomb off a bridge and might even kill a baby turtle in order to save those other 5 Stern games.

#5717 22 days ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Yeah, the shade of blue is not even close. When ordering we spoke on the phone, he made no mention of this.
This is unacceptable to me, and now I'm left with sourcing/creating new plastics to match. I didn't sign up for that. [quoted image]

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I'll post here when I have them, and can make as many as needed, once they are right.

I understand. IIRC, I was one of the first to point out the colors mismatch between the Greatwich play field and the CPR plastics. I was not happy.

I had some a custom paint mixed for my apron so the apron would match the color of the play field. That took off some of the sting.

But now that I am together, the color differences soften under the play field glass and when turned on and the play field lights are burning, the color differences are barely noticeable. I realize I am rationalizing but the differences, once assembled, are so slight that I would not be compelled to spend any more money to match plastics to the play field.

Would I like to have the darker blue OG play field color? Sure would. If I could make it happen for free.

And I am interested to see what kind of color corrections the new company will come up with. I have everything I need to build Star Gazer #2 but I doubt anyone would want to buy the play field I have waiting in the wings just so I could buy another play field with corrected color---unless I discounted the price heavily.

Short version: I am not willing to spend any more money to overcome a color mismatch. Especially since none of my friends who have come to play Star Gazer have said anything about the different shades of blue.

IMG_7718 (resized).jpg

I would like to see what you come up with. Anybody who can tool up, create, and produce some custom plastics has my attention.

Before CPR started producing the Star Gazer plastics, another pinsider produced 10 sets of plastics. I hit him up about making plastics for me but had no luck. Fortunately, CPR stepped up and made SG plastics or I would be really hosed; But CPR's colors did not match.

This is Redketchup's Star Gazerwith a Greatwich play field using a set of those other plastics that are a little closer to the play field with colors.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 8.32.08 AM (resized).png

===========================

And here is an original with factory shades of blue.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 8.46.48 AM (resized).png

And then there are the Star Gazer with that butt-ugly apron with the light blue that matches the Zodiak star. I see this and wonder what drunk engineer's wife got involved with Stern's color choices. Ghastly !
Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 8.56.11 AM (resized).png

#5718 22 days ago

Yes, I've been told that "once you light them up, the difference isn't THAT bad".
But no way I am putting this much time and effort into something that I'm not happy with. And I sure wouldn't do that to a client's game.

#5719 22 days ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Yes, I've been told that "once you light them up, the difference isn't THAT bad".
But no way I am putting this much time and effort into something that I'm not happy with. And I sure wouldn't do that to a client's game.

I'm guessing you are going to build Cheetah. Don't have a heart attack when you set your CPR Cheetah plastics down on top of your repro CPR Cheetah play field. You won't be happy.

#5720 22 days ago

Nothing like Star Gazer, but there is a difference.

1632592970552336974950271113451 (resized).jpg
#5721 20 days ago

I've got a new issue going on with a Meteor that I figured I'd reach out about before I over-trounkeshoot it.

I have one single feature lamp (the 1000 on rocket 1) that stays constantly lit. It lights up with the GI at start up, and never turns off. The voltage for that lamp wire hold consistent at about 1.6v where as every other feature lamp is variable as it turns on and off from near zero to 2.5-3. I'm guessing I need to replace something on the lamp board, but not entirely sure what to test.

1) The V seems low in general, but that could be because I'm not using the multimeter right. In the least I know that lamp is acting differently than the others.

2) There is a wedge socket board installed at those lamps. Not sure that matters in this case, but more information is always better.

3) The problem follows that wire. If I take it and touch it to any other feature lamp, that one also stays lit.

Thanks!

#5722 20 days ago

Usually a lamp that stays on is a shorted transistor.

#5723 20 days ago

Agreed. Rocket 1 1K insert should be the Left Rocket, J3 Pin 12 on the lamp board. That would be transistor Q50. I'd start by changing that out.

#5724 20 days ago

Sounds like I had the right general idea. Is there anything i need to know about the transistors? Is there a specific type I need to use?

#5725 20 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I understand. IIRC, I was one of the first to point out the colors mismatch between the Greatwich play field and the CPR plastics. I was not happy.
I had some a custom paint mixed for my apron so the apron would match the color of the play field. That took off some of the sting.
But now that I am together, the color differences soften under the play field glass and when turned on and the play field lights are burning, the color differences are barely noticeable. I realize I am rationalizing but the differences, once assembled, are so slight that I would not be compelled to spend any more money to match plastics to the play field.
Would I like to have the darker blue OG play field color? Sure would. If I could make it happen for free.
And I am interested to see what kind of color corrections the new company will come up with. I have everything I need to build Star Gazer #2 but I doubt anyone would want to buy the play field I have waiting in the wings just so I could buy another play field with corrected color---unless I discounted the price heavily.
Short version: I am not willing to spend any more money to overcome a color mismatch. Especially since none of my friends who have come to play Star Gazer have said anything about the different shades of blue.
[quoted image]
I would like to see what you come up with. Anybody who can tool up, create, and produce some custom plastics has my attention.
Before CPR started producing the Star Gazer plastics, another pinsider produced 10 sets of plastics. I hit him up about making plastics for me but had no luck. Fortunately, CPR stepped up and made SG plastics or I would be really hosed; But CPR's colors did not match.
This is Redketchup's Star Gazerwith a Greatwich play field using a set of those other plastics that are a little closer to the play field with colors.
[quoted image]

===========================
And here is an original with factory shades of blue.
[quoted image]
And then there are the Star Gazer with that butt-ugly apron with the light blue that matches the Zodiak star. I see this and wonder what drunk engineer's wife got involved with Stern's color choices. Ghastly !
[quoted image]

Your first one isn't bad at all. So are the plastics too dark or John's isn't dark enough?

#5726 20 days ago
Quoted from BrotherSir:

Sounds like I had the right general idea. Is there anything i need to know about the transistors? Is there a specific type I need to use?

MCR 106-1 should be the one. That is what was used on Lightning and I assume Meteor is the same.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp

#5727 19 days ago
Quoted from BrotherSir:

A 2N5060, 2N5061, or 2N5064 will work.

#5728 19 days ago
Quoted from Methos:

Your first one isn't bad at all. So are the plastics too dark or John's isn't dark enough?

From the 2 Star Gazers I have touched and from the pics floating around online, John's play field needs to be darker.

The first pic is my Star Gazer. With the lights off, you can see the darker blue on the plastics compared to the play field. With the lights on and during game play the color difference is not noticeable, especially since it is a very fast pin that rivets your attention. And since I don't play with the lights off, the color difference is not a bother.

Would I like a darker blue play field? As noted earlier, I sure would. But not enough to buy another play field and redo the build. It is just not that big of deal. At least for me.

#5729 19 days ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Nothing like Star Gazer, but there is a difference.
[quoted image]

That's a good match. I can't find the pic I was looking for but the sling plastics and the inlane guides had some noticeable differences in the greens from what I saw.

#5730 17 days ago

Hello All,

I am current on the Seawitch S ball defectors again. I had a vendor laser cut me some plexiglass which added to my cost but lessened the labor needed at the same time. Because of that the price is still the same. $35 free sipping in the USA. PM me if you want one. I'm hoping this batch is the last batch.

20210831_185811 (resized).jpg20210926_153927 (resized).jpg20210929_202550 (resized).jpg
#5731 15 days ago

Almost got the kinks out of my Star Gazer scratch build. When the center-bank, center-drop target is dropped, the Virgo target goes nuts. I’ve swapped the diodes and caps on them and the other switches in the matrix seem ok. Anyone have a tip on what to look for?

#5732 14 days ago

Third diodes the charm, I guess. Swapped the virgo diode a second time and all seems golden there! Is it normal for the drop mechs to reset twice at the start of each ball? Seems odd.

#5733 14 days ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Is it normal for the drop mechs to reset twice at the start of each ball? Seems odd.

I don't think so. I have not seen this behavior.

#5734 14 days ago

I think I need to replace the trough switch with a stronger supported blade.

#5735 14 days ago

Well here it is!

3E8C0DB1-D672-4633-A3F8-08C309266458.gif449EC2B9-23E2-401C-95EC-6EE4D87B5042.jpegBBEC5DB5-5B92-4D58-A03C-88E7FF3E1F4B.jpegD732EBFE-6516-40D1-9527-FA14EEF9F876.jpeg
#5736 14 days ago

In the gif you can notice the HSTD is a little funky. Displaying 0_0_0_0. Not sure what to address there. I’ve got a Weebly board in there. I do need to track down cottonm4’s posts about the credit display and swapping the wires around too.

#5737 14 days ago

In the gif you can notice the HSTD is a little funky. Displaying 0_0_0_0. Not sure what to address there.

Play better? JK. It looks great.

#5738 14 days ago

Go into audits and zero out all the high score thresholds

#5739 14 days ago

Clear the audits with the NMI button on the cpu

#5740 14 days ago

Well here it is!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

the middle left spinner looks upside down showing the stars side instead of the Stern S? you put the decal on the wrong side?

#5741 14 days ago

Original spinners. I haven’t decided which way I want them to face, since it’s STAR Gazer after all

#5742 14 days ago

In the gif you can notice the HSTD is a little funky. Displaying 0_0_0_0. Not sure what to address there. I’ve got a Weebly board in there. I do need to track down cottonm4’s posts about the credit display and swapping the wires around too.

Here you go. Except where it says "grey wire mine was green. EZ job.

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 7.10.04 AM (resized).png

#5743 14 days ago

Well here it is!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your pops look well lit. What are you lighting them up with? Pinball Life EVO's?

#5744 14 days ago

Thanks, I bet mine is green too. Yours was also a new harness from Shawn at Third Coast, right?

Yes, EVO brite caps in cool white. Wish they had a closer to match to Comet Sunlights as they’re noticeably bluer than the rest of the lighting. I have warm white EVOs I could try but I don’t think they’d look better.

#5745 14 days ago

Thanks, I bet mine is green too. Yours was also a new harness from Shawn at Third Coast, right?
Yes, EVO brite caps in cool white. Wish they had a closer to match to Comet Sunlights as they’re noticeably bluer than the rest of the lighting. I have warm white EVOs I could try but I don’t think they’d look better.

Yes. This pin was all 3rd Coast Wiring.

#5746 11 days ago

Can someone confirm that the Weebly mpu has the correct clock speed compared to the Alltek mpu for sound output? My Galaxy seems to be missing sounds compared to the ROM I have for my virtual pinball. I will switch MPU if that is the issue.

#5747 11 days ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

Can someone confirm that the Weebly mpu has the correct clock speed compared to the Alltek mpu for sound output?

The Weebly MPU board has jumpers to configure the clock speed. How have you got them set?

#5748 11 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

The Weebly MPU board has jumpers to configure the clock speed. How have you got them set?

I don’t have a Weebly board yet. The jumpers are correct on my Alltek. I remember reading that there was a slight difference in clock speed between the two and the sound can be a little off.

#5749 11 days ago

The SB300 sound board has it's own timer chip. I can't confirm but would be surprised if the CPU board clock speed had any effect.

Have you run the memory erase on the Alltek? Corrupt data in the NVRAM has been noted to cause different sounds on Meteor.
Also are you sure the issue isn't the ribbon cable or the sound board itself?

#5750 11 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

The SB300 sound board has it's own timer chip. I can't confirm but would be surprised if the CPU board clock speed had any effect.
Have you run the memory erase on the Alltek? Corrupt data in the NVRAM has been noted to cause different sounds on Meteor.
Also are you sure the issue isn't the ribbon cable or the sound board itself?

Sound board was recapped. New ribbon cable. I’ll try reset again.

There are 5788 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 116.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside