229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 215.
#5651 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

update the ROM to a bug fixed version or get the RAM clear software from my website MPU info, bottom of the page. the "divide by ten" version is probably built around the bugged meteor software. Back in 2018 did not fully understand the bug yet and was still stuffing bugged meteor ROM on boards.
The bugged meteor version does not sanitize a section of RAM used for the sound board at start up. A few other games like Ali and Nine Ball have similar RAM issues, but eventually those two games are able to fix themselves (9 ball after end of a ball, Ali end of game). Background sound in 9 ball is weird until one ball is finished. The "bell" noise in Ali gets odd sounding.

Thanks, so glad for your help - I will definitely do that.....may get the bug fixed ROM - I assume the chips are socketed in and can be easily removed?.......

I don't see the ROM offered on your site, are you selling these?

Thanks again, Nate

#5652 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

I am using the original skirt

Mine was new replacement so the age of the part is not 100% reason you are having problems.

#5653 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

"divide by ten" version is probably built around the bugged meteor software.

For the record, It is, yes.

#5654 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

the "divide by ten" version is probably built around the bugged meteor software.

Depends on which version. One thing for sure, all the Oliver ones have the endless countdown bug. The .6x/.7x branches do not, but neither of those are /10 versions. I could kick out a /10 version based on the .6x branch (6 digit displays) relatively easily. I will be going into my codebase for Meteor in the near future as finally thanks to CoreyStup I know enough to transplant sounds, so I'll finally have the sound effect I want for the additional sweep features. I will build a /10 version without all the features enabled so you can update it (since those versions also have the ram clear)

Also I want to update the spinner to record the high spins, and to work >100. Was playing this today and several people got close to 100, an average spin was 50-70. Most I've gotten was 94 IIRC so it's only a matter time until I really nail it.

A lot of the sb300 games seem to have issues with using leftover kruft in the ram - dragonfist does too, but you can't just clear it, you have to set it to the correct values. The game has a routine to do this after every ball... but doesn't do it at game start. Pretty stupid!

Coming soon..... lightning with spinner counter and no-ball relocking during multiball.

#5655 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

no-ball relocking during multiball.

I would make it part of an award during multi-ball...
1) no-ball relock multi-ball. = easy
2) complete "X" = "X" ball does not lock. = med to hard.

#5656 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I would make it part of an award during multi-ball...
1) no-ball relock multi-ball. = easy
2) complete "X" = "X" ball does not lock. = med to hard.

So start multiball, if (presumably) I can get enough dip switches/memory locations free, set to easy, balls that drop back into the saucers just eject (this is what it does now in testing, assuming it works once it goes in machine).

Otherwise, the ball will relock unless you complete a PF advance X? Or the bonus multiplier X? Or, "X" as in generic unknown?

If I get some more memory free I'm thinking of letting the end user change the valhalla bonus time from 30 seconds to anything from 00 (off) to 99 (very liberal....) Setting it to 00 would take care of freeing up a dip as well that I can use for something else (like the multiball relock).

So if balls are back in the lock and you do X do they then release? I guess it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

#5657 2 years ago

I had a pinsider ask me to do a custom nylon pop ring like the classic nylon rings but with altered dimensions (outer ring dia) to replace his metal pop rings that were deformed which are NLA. This new proto parts 2A-141 and 1A-234 is just one part now.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkscsbumper&sort=newest

Coupled with the stern plastic base and the whole mech can be dropped out as a complete assembly.

710x528_35693343_18714166_1630928039_1_0 (resized).png710x528_35693343_18714166_1630928039_1_0 (resized).pngEarly Stern Thumper Rod & Ring (resized).pngEarly Stern Thumper Rod & Ring (resized).pngearly stern pop assembly (resized).pngearly stern pop assembly (resized).png
#5658 2 years ago

slochar
"X" as in generic unknown?
Answer: yes...
Like complete a 3bank = 1 ball does not lock.
Or have an "X" set of targets flashing... "X" = 1 through 10? spot targets...
complete the set of flashing targets = 1 ball does not lock.
I know a lot has to do with what is available, ram/rom...
I have been there... squeezing the bites to free up bites.

#5659 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Coming soon..... lightning with spinner counter and no-ball relocking during multiball.

That no ball re-locking during multi-ball would be a nice upgrade for Catacomb.

#5660 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:Coming soon..... lightning with spinner counter and no-ball relocking during multiball.

Is it possible to have it eject any locked balls at game over?

#5661 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That no ball re-locking during multi-ball would be a nice upgrade for Catacomb.

I agree and will probably address that at some point. Hopefully as straightforward as Lightning and not as convoluted as flight 2000.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Is it possible to have it eject any locked balls at game over?

Yes but right now the game doesn't check for all balls before starting so that would have to be added.

#5662 2 years ago

On a side note:
What I find interesting is that Bally's early designing prototyping had three 6821 pia's.
What options one could have today; if the boards did use three, instead of two pia's.

#5663 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

On a side note:
What I find interesting is that Bally's early designing prototyping had three 6821 pia's.
What options one could have today; if the boards did use three, instead of two pia's.

I'd guess they weren't doing the PIA function sharing on the protos and someone hit on the idea that software costs nothing vs. increasing your PIA costs by 50%. (We all know that software development time is 'free', right? Like forcing Pfutz to code all that ball handling crap for flight 2000 instead of just putting 2 more switches in the walker, right??)

#5664 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

On a side note:

Bally's PIA are super busy. The multiplexing going on is really impressive compared to how WMS implemented (up to five PIAs). At U10 one PIA port may be doing three different things.

I am guessing the first prototype had each PIA port just doing one job instead of multiple. The engineering team figured out how to multiplex and cut the BOM down which is probably huge savings at the time once you start making games in the QTY bally was. So I would guess, not much extra could be done.

<3 Doug MacDonald and the Bally team that did the early SS hardware. They did such a good job Stern ripped it off and made their own awesome games with it.

#5665 2 years ago

Dumb question, but where do I purchase the "bug fixed" ROM for Meteor we have been discussing so I can see if my sound board is working ok? Barakandl was nice enough to ask and include the chip when I got the CPU board from him. It wouldn't have to be the "divide score by" type, I'm not that good to turn over the score yet...................

I have a six digit display..........

Thanks, Nate

#5666 2 years ago

Dumb question, but where do I purchase the "bug fixed" ROM for Meteor we have been discussing so I can see if my sound board is working ok? Barakandl was nice enough to ask and include the chip when I got the CPU board from him. It wouldn't have to be the "divide score by" type, I'm not that good to turn over the score yet...................
I have a six digit display..........
Thanks, Nate

I don't know of anyone selling them, but you can download it from the IPDB and burn it yourself if you have the equipment:

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=meteor&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1580

#5667 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I don't know of anyone selling them, but you can download it from the IPDB and burn it yourself if you have the equipment:
https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=meteor&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1580

Sound fix is not in that ROM that one is the bonus bug fix only.

#5668 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Sound fix is not in that ROM that one is the bonus bug fix only.

Thanx, that's good to know. Do you (or anyone) happen to know if that bonus-fixed ROM image on IPDB is the one required to allow the Pinitech NVRAM board work or do I need to join Pinball_Nate and figure out where to source the "sound fix" ROMs? I'm still in the cabinet repair phase of my Meteor restoration but I want to add the NVRAM board when I put this pin back together next month / early November.

NVRAM and Bug Fix ROMs (resized).jpgNVRAM and Bug Fix ROMs (resized).jpg
#5669 2 years ago

I am the source of the nvram fix for the rom that I provided to Andrew it's available here:
http://tsqmadness.com/slochar/ZIP/meteora2(1).zip

This is the nvram sound fix applied to stern's factory 6 digit fix for the endless bonus bug. It clears the sound registers on bootup that were leftover from previous games' bootup.

I don't sell roms though I have just enough to do my software playtesting so you'll have to get them burned somewhere else.

#5670 2 years ago

I'm looking for a classic Stern wide body apron (any) if anyone can part with one.

#5671 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I am the source of the nvram fix for the rom that I provided to Andrew it's available here:
This is the nvram sound fix applied to stern's factory 6 digit fix for the endless bonus bug. It clears the sound registers on bootup that were leftover from previous games' bootup.
I don't sell roms though I have just enough to do my software playtesting so you'll have to get them burned somewhere else.

Many thanks for providing the link!

#5672 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I remember when I had a Galaxy game, it had the same kind of problem on boot-up.
It would keep the same tone constanly on at booting untill you play/start a game.
The game however would just keep on blinking the led untill fully booted.
I never got to fix this problem, but suspect the same kind of sound reset problem.
I used the nvram board from Andrew in this game.

Peter

#5673 2 years ago

My Cheetah is being a jerk.

When either flipper button is pressed the game goes into solenoid test mode during gameplay. It doesn’t reset, it actually goes straight into each solenoid firing one by one, weird. During the test it doesn’t start over or reset when the flippers activate, which is also odd. I swapped in a new solenoid board and no change, MPU is a weebly.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

#5674 2 years ago

start game disconnect coin door harness hit flippers.... still goes in, some other issue, but if it doesn't.... check the coin door carefully for shorts.

#5675 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

start game disconnect coin door harness hit flippers.... still goes in, some other issue, but if it doesn't.... check the coin door carefully for shorts.

You are a legend, that totally worked. And I see a burn mark on the service menu button so looks like I should start there. Thank you so much!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5676 2 years ago

Okay, I will gladly pay someone to burn me a ROM, I do not have equipment to do so. PM me if you can help out.

Much appreciated in advance......

-Nate

#5677 2 years ago

Okay, I will gladly pay someone to burn me a ROM, I do not have equipment to do so.

You want https://www.hobbyroms.com/ - Steph is awesome.

#5678 2 years ago

Thanks, I will go with them!! Appreciate it.

-Nate

#5679 2 years ago

Ok, I contacted hobbyroms, they asked me the following question:

You need to replace 2 eproms.

Rom 1 and Rom 6 if you have the 4 eprom configuration ( 4 x 2716 eproms)

or Rom 2 and Rom 6 if you have the 2 eprom configuration ( 2 x 2732 eproms)

I have an older Barakandl MPU so what does that require (2017 approx)?

Thanks.

#5680 2 years ago

Let's summon barakandl himself!

As far as I know, many free play roms/etc are already in Andrew's board, so generally burning new ROMs is not something that you need to do.

He can provide burning instructions. It would likely go into the 27512 expansion slot, and I'm not familiar how that would need to be programmed.

#5681 2 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Let's summon barakandl himself!
As far as I know, many free play roms/etc are already in Andrew's board, so generally burning new ROMs is not something that you need to do.
He can provide burning instructions. It would likely go into the 27512 expansion slot, and I'm not familiar how that would need to be programmed.

His older boards still took roms like originals.

#5682 2 years ago

If it is an older version you probably need either a single 2764 or two 2732s. The people selling ROMs on 2732s for the original MPU should also work fine on the replacement boards without the combo ROM. Just note the silk screen printing on the board about the where pin 1 is on the 2732 ROM as it has four less legs than the IC socket.

#5683 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

If it is an older version you probably need either a single 2764 or two 2732s. The people selling ROMs on 2732s for the original MPU should also work fine on the replacement boards without the combo ROM. Just note the silk screen printing on the board about the where pin 1 is on the 2732 ROM as it has four less legs than the IC socket.

Thanks, I have your replacement MPU dated April 2017 in the right hand corner..... so I guess order either the single 2764 or two 2732's correct? Andrew, I take it you do not have these optional chips for sale to correct the sound board issue?

Nate

Screenshot 2021-09-16 211404 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2021-09-16 211404 (resized).jpg

#5684 2 years ago

You can use two 2732s like the normal games by changing the jumper pads to what is outlined on the silk screen.

For a single 2764. Download 2732 images and combine with command prompt line

copy /b U2.732 + U6.732 U2.764

Then you can drop in a 2764 to that older MPU without jumper change.

I don't want to be an EPROM reseller. I encourage anyone that wants to mess with home ROMs to get an eprom burner and learn how to use it. Since you are experiencing a sound bug using one of my boards though I will offer to reprogram the chip with an updated version. I will probably respond fastest to a contact form on the website.

I don't know of a divide by ten version that is bug fixed so I recommend the stock ROM. There is also a new six digit home ROM, but I have not personally used it besides booting on the test fixture. Recommend everyone consider home ROMs in the combo ROM as somewhat of a beta version as a bug here and there can pop up. When using home ROMs I can't guarantee the game will play proper or not have a situation a coil gets locked on. Basically at your own risk with home ROMs on the replacement MPU I make.

In the 6-12-21 COMBO ROM I added Big Game V8. If you are using that Big Game V8 ROM in my MPU do not use solenoid test or the fuse will blow. Switch to big game stock ROM first. Also Dip 8 = off for background sound on in that one. I am going to update Big Game home to V9 in MPUs shipping in the next week or so which will fix solenoid test.

#5685 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I don't want to be an EPROM reseller. I encourage anyone that wants to mess with home ROMs to get an eprom burner and learn how to use it. Since you are experiencing a sound bug using one of my boards though I will offer to reprogram the chip with an updated version. I will probably respond fastest to a contact form on the website.

Thanks, I'll drop you a note through the website.

-Nate

#5686 2 years ago

Anyone have an old Stern wide body lockdown bar and receiver?

#5687 2 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I have an OP friend who had a wide body lockdown bar ad placed on Mr. Pinball. I don't know if he has sold it or not. And he is high priced on his stuff.

#5688 2 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

isnt the receiver the same as standard size games? If it is, you can get a replacement from Mantis. Wide body lockdown bar are hard to find though, GL!

#5689 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

isnt the receiver the same as standard size games? If it is, you can get a replacement from Mantis. Wide body lockdown bar are hard to find though, GL!

I believe that is correct regarding the receiver.

#5690 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Quoted from Clytor:

I believe that is correct regarding the receiver.

The receiver is the same for all of the classic Sterns and Data East pins. But a Data East wide body lockdown bar is a different width than the Stern wide body.

#5691 2 years ago

Speaking of Kerry at Mantis, Kerry has advised me the parts that we are wanting are ready. But he will be away from his shop for a month, so we wait until he gets back.

#5692 2 years ago

It's time to thin the herd. I have to let 2 go. Here is what I have to choose from:

Big Game
Ali
Sea Witch
Catacomb
Nine Ball
Stars
Cheetah

I'm leaning towards Big Game for certain, and either Sea Witch or Catacomb. I have a Beatles, so having Sea Witch - I admit doesn't play exactly like Beatles, but close might be the best choice. I never really got into Catacomb too much. Stars is too damn much fun. I have a few others but they ain't leaving (QS DF, SG) although the only one I would let go is StarGazer but it would have to be a pretty hefty price tag. I'm not sure I would sell my QS or DF for even obscene amounts.....well you never know.

Any recommendations?

#5693 2 years ago

You sort of answer your own question.... Big Game and Catacomb.

My BG is bolted to the floor but Catacomb.... I 'liked' it but not enough to keep it. I keep track of my games played in a spreadsheet and year after year of owning it, I realized I played it <10 times a year, and that was usually before a party to make sure it worked. If you continuously walk past a game and never feel the need to play it, time to move it on.

Most of your games listed would sell for many would consider obscene amounts at this point - of course, I sold all of mine before that market got hot.

#5694 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

It's time to thin the herd. I have to let 2 go. Here is what I have to choose from:
Big Game
Ali
Sea Witch
Catacomb
Nine Ball
Stars
Cheetah
I'm leaning towards Big Game for certain, and either Sea Witch or Catacomb. I have a Beatles, so having Sea Witch - I admit doesn't play exactly like Beatles, but close might be the best choice. I never really got into Catacomb too much. Stars is too damn much fun. I have a few others but they ain't leaving (QS DF, SG) although the only one I would let go is StarGazer but it would have to be a pretty hefty price tag. I'm not sure I would sell my QS or DF for even obscene amounts.....well you never know.
Any recommendations?

I like Catacomb and since you have a Beatles, I say Seawitch.

#5695 2 years ago

Okay, I will gladly pay someone to burn me a ROM, I do not have equipment to do so. PM me if you can help out.
Much appreciated in advance......
-Nate

Matt's Basement

#5696 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You sort of answer your own question.... Big Game and Catacomb.
My BG is bolted to the floor but Catacomb.... I 'liked' it but not enough to keep it. I keep track of my games played in a spreadsheet and year after year of owning it, I realized I played it <10 times a year, and that was usually before a party to make sure it worked. If you continuously walk past a game and never feel the need to play it, time to move it on.
Most of your games listed would sell for many would consider obscene amounts at this point - of course, I sold all of mine before that market got hot.

I know exactly what you mean. If you don't turn it on or feel the need to - why keep it?

I like Catacomb and since you have a Beatles, I say Seawitch.

Love the Beatles - so I am questioning the need for both of them. I do love the art of SW though.

#5697 2 years ago

I vote Catacomb and Beatles. Keep the Seawitch.

#5698 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I vote Catacomb and Beatles. Keep the Seawitch.

Beatles ain't going nowhere - Best Stern game since Walking Dead.

#5699 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Beatles ain't going nowhere - Best Stern game since Walking Dead.

My friend has a Beatles. I'd like to have one.

#5700 2 years ago

I vote Seawitch and Stars.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 169.00
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 169.00
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/114 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.