229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 215.
#5451 2 years ago

I'm running into an issue with the relay controlled drop targets don't drop on My Trident.

I was having a problem where the the relays were doing nothing. I assumed it was the common ground they use (yellow wire), but those looked OK. When I did a continuity check against the ground pin in the molex connector going back to the board, I found that I had one wire was connected to the wrong pin on the SDB.

Once I corrected that, I can now hear a faint buzz in the coil tests coming from the relays, but they still don't drop. Any ideas what to check next?

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#5452 2 years ago

Anyone out there happen to have a 3d print file for a classic Stern start button? Working on bringing a Lectronamo that had some type of resto started on it by someone who has no business doing work on pins. I didn't see them at PBL or PBR, and just bought a printer I'm itching to try out on pin parts.

#5453 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Very rare. Only 438 produced. I have never seen one nor played one, but the talk is that is not that great of player. One Stern collector on Pinside had one, did some minor restoration work and sold it. Comparing it to the Sterns he kept, I figure he was not enamored with the play action.
It does not get glowing reviews.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/viper/ratings

Yes, I've played this briefly once before at a show and I'll definitely need more time on it before I can make a judgement. I couldn't turn it down due to the combination of art, rarity, and price. I'll post back here once I've had a chance to get some time on it and let you know what I think.

#5454 2 years ago

we used to have a viper years ago, it got sold bc it wasnt a great player but def was unique with the spinning target shit in the middle

#5455 2 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Anyone out there happen to have a 3d print file for a classic Stern start button? Working on bringing a Lectronamo that had some type of resto started on it by someone who has no business doing work on pins. I didn't see them at PBL or PBR, and just bought a printer I'm itching to try out on pin parts.

If you can't find a 3d print file or don't want to mess with making your own, Marco's has it in stock.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4A-146

#5456 2 years ago

Ugh... I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. They sent a defective start button last time I ordered from them, and instead of make a $10 part right on a good sized order; they blamed it on 'shipping issues' and sent me instructions on how to disassemble and flip their crappily printed insert around. That experience on top of their general mark up tends to keep me away unless required. This might be one of those cases though.

To the above - I played a Viper once. Not the best of games, but for rarity and artwork I'd snag one if given the chance. Then again I have like 4-5 classic Sterns on hand most days cause I'm addicted

#5457 2 years ago

Wrong thread.

#5458 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I'm running into an issue with the relay controlled drop targets don't drop on My Trident.
I was having a problem where the the relays were doing nothing. I assumed it was the common ground they use (yellow wire), but those looked OK. When I did a continuity check against the ground pin in the molex connector going back to the board, I found that I had one wire was connected to the wrong pin on the SDB.
Once I corrected that, I can now hear a faint buzz in the coil tests coming from the relays, but they still don't drop. Any ideas what to check next?
[quoted image]

What happens when you manually drop each drop target? Does each target make any game sounds? If not, then perhaps your switch contacts are dirty or not adjusted correctly.

Trident, I think is of the memory drop type, but not sure if the coils inside the drop assembly would cause you problems.

Make sure all of your switches are working. They can get whacky sometimes

#5459 2 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

Yes, I've played this briefly once before at a show and I'll definitely need more time on it before I can make a judgement. I couldn't turn it down due to the combination of art, rarity, and price. I'll post back here once I've had a chance to get some time on it and let you know what I think.

I don't blame you. If the price was right I would be tempted. It is a beautiful pin.

EDIT: This must be the Viper that was sold in Seattle. Yes. The price was right. I would have been all over it, too.

#5460 2 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

I know Viper isn't one of the more popular classic Stern's, but I think it's a cool game. I also have only tried it at a pinball show, but thought it was pretty fun and unique...not to mention the awesome artwork. Probably not a keeper in the long term based on others reviews, but I like weird games so who knows.

Congrats, that's an excellent find!

#5461 2 years ago

Thanks. And the kicker is that it was only 20 minutes from my house! I keep thinking that all these games in back rooms and garages have been sold off to collectors by now. They are still out there!

#5462 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What happens when you manually drop each drop target? Does each target make any game sounds? If not, then perhaps your switch contacts are dirty or not adjusted correctly.
Trident, I think is of the memory drop type, but not sure if the coils inside the drop assembly would cause you problems.
Make sure all of your switches are working. They can get whacky sometimes

The switches are all working. I've cleaned and tested those. The bank even resets if you knock it all down. I figured I would upload a quick video to help show what's happening. It gets power, but it's very weak.

#5463 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

The switches are all working. I've cleaned and tested those. The bank even resets if you knock it all down. I figured I would upload a quick video to help show what's happening. It gets power, but it's very weak.

I figured it out. Does anyone here with eagle eyes see what dumb mistake I made?

(solution here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trident-2020-restoration-/page/3#post-6423422)

IMG_2421 (resized).JPGIMG_2421 (resized).JPG
#5464 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I figured it out. Does anyone here with eagle eyes see what dumb mistake I made?
(solution here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trident-2020-restoration-/page/3#post-6423422)[quoted image]

The two rods are on backwards...The trip levers are magnetized to the rod bracket.

#5465 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The two rods are on backwards...The trip levers are magnetized to the rod bracket.

bingo

#5466 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

(solution here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trident-2020-restoration-/page/3#post-6423422)[quoted image]

Well, that was educational.

#5467 2 years ago

Magic - Could someone tell me where I can find the 3 pin connector from the playfield harness to the backbox harness on the schematics?

I've been staring at the manual for 15 minutes and I can't figure out where it is on the drawing.

#5468 2 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

Today's pick up! Looking forward to spending some time getting her back in shape and playing great.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I was wondering who'd pick this one up in the PacNW, good find.

#5469 2 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Magic - Could someone tell me where I can find the 3 pin connector from the playfield harness to the backbox harness on the schematics?
I've been staring at the manual for 15 minutes and I can't figure out where it is on the drawing.

AFAIK they never showed those cross connects.

#5470 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

AFAIK they never showed those cross connects.

Thanks for the info! Was driving me nuts. I'll have to trace the wires and see where they go, guessing that's the connection to the cabinet for the flipper switches.

#5471 2 years ago

I think it's for the backbox lamps though so maybe we're talking about different connectors? There are 2 though so yeah, it's possible that they're for the flippers/knocker.

I don't think Stern shows connectors that aren't on a board is the dividing line.

#5472 2 years ago

Seawitch is done. I put the playfield back in and fired her up. The only issue I had was reversed polarity on the power. I assumed the last guy that worked on it knew how to install a power cord. Obviously he didn't. I swapped the wires and everything checked out. I also reinstalled the 1 ohm resistors on the upper flippers. Actually doing that changed how the game plays. It isn't bad, just different. With less power going to the upper flippers you have more control hitting stuff in the upper playfield. At full power it felt more uncontrolled and super fast. The way I have it now is the way it was when it rolled off the faxtoy line.

20210804_180159 (resized).jpg20210804_180159 (resized).jpg20210804_063242 (resized).jpg20210804_063242 (resized).jpg20210804_191359 (resized).jpg20210804_191359 (resized).jpg20210804_191616 (resized).jpg20210804_191616 (resized).jpg20210804_191630 (resized).jpg20210804_191630 (resized).jpg20210805_060405 (resized).jpg20210805_060405 (resized).jpg20210805_060419 (resized).jpg20210805_060419 (resized).jpg
#5473 2 years ago

Nice Work!

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Seawitch is done. I put the playfield back in and fired her up. The only issue I had was reversed polarity on the power. I assumed the last guy that worked on it knew how to install a power cord. Obviously he didn't. I swapped the wires and everything checked out. I also reinstalled the 1 ohm resistors on the upper flippers. Actually doing that changed how the game plays. It isn't bad, just different. With less power going to the upper flippers you have more control hitting stuff in the upper playfield. At full power it felt more uncontrolled and super fast. The way I have it now is the way it was when it rolled off the faxtoy line.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#5474 2 years ago

I'm more than a bit flattered that you chose my adapters in such a well executed restoration.

That machine is gorgeous.

#5475 2 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Thanks for the info! Was driving me nuts. I'll have to trace the wires and see where they go, guessing that's the connection to the cabinet for the flipper switches.

Still don't know what those wires are for, but got the game flipping without them. Pops aren't working but everything else seems fine.

20210804_234053 (resized).jpg20210804_234053 (resized).jpg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5476 2 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It looks fantastic. And this is a Greatwich play field, correct?

#5477 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It looks fantastic. And this is a Greatwich play field, correct?

Thanks and yes it is. The playfield color totally works with cabinet colors in my opinion.

#5478 2 years ago

Does anyone have an extra apron decal they would like to sell Im needing one for stargazer and didnt order from pinball rescue in time.

#5479 2 years ago

Thanks and yes it is. The playfield color totally works with cabinet colors in my opinion.

I got your dark blue color from the chip you posted. I could used the light blue color, please.

#5480 2 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Does anyone have an extra apron decal they would like to sell Im needing one for stargazer and didnt order from pinball rescue in time.

I missed getting one for Star Gazer, too.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get the pin striping tape out and make like a motorcycle gas tank custom painter. It can all be done this way with a lilt effort. The only thing left is to figure out how to get all of the text on some clear plastic/mylar ?? and lay that over the top of the paint.

#5481 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get the pin striping tape out and make like a motorcycle gas tank custom painter. It can all be done this way with a lilt effort. The only thing left is to figure out how to get all of the text on some clear plastic/mylar ?? and lay that over the top of the paint.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=custom+paint+motorcycle+gas+tank

#5482 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'll be in the same boat for my Meteor apron. I was thinking of stripping my apron down to bare metal, laying down primer and the base coat of black, and then find a local airbrush artist who will do the striping, logo, and text layers based on pictures I'd provide him/her of the original. It would be unique and, if done well, look really cool I think.

#5483 2 years ago

Find a local blueprint shop, if you can ,and have your apron stripes scanned so you have a ready pattern for use. I imagine the text letters will be costly to reproduce.

I/we need to find a shop that can transfer the text to some clear mylar that can lay one the top. We would need the material that Pinball Rescue used to make its decals.

#5484 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I got your dark blue color from the chip you posted. I could used the light blue color, please.

This came from TractorDoc. The one on the left is the light blue. I had it converted to oil based. I didn’t use his dark blue and went with the one you already have from me. If you need the converted code I can get that also. Just let me know.

A3253943-58F3-498B-B3E3-60871020E688.jpegA3253943-58F3-498B-B3E3-60871020E688.jpeg
#5485 2 years ago

This came from TractorDoc. The one on the left is the light blue. I had it converted to oil based. I didn’t use his dark blue and went with the one you already have from me. If you need the converted code I can get that also. Just let me know.
[quoted image]

Thank you.

I plan to shoot automotive grade polyurethane. I will be using a brand called Omni. Omni is the brand of clear John used on his repro Seawitch play fields. I hope the Shemwin Williams people will be helpful with my desires for placing their color formulas into the hands of the car paint guys

#5486 2 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Look closely... It's not the snake which has a big pointy rack.
Very nice drawing by the way.
Looks a bit like a prequel to the Bride of Pinbot.

Looks like the snake is fucking her, or rubbing against her as it's between her legs.

Great backglass, one of the best. Too bad the game is meh, played a few before, one at Expo a few years ago and it was a dog.

#5487 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I must correct myself. There are 2 two styles of Stern back box lockdown straps. The one I thought was a Bally unit is a Stern unit. The one with the lugs must have come from the beater Dracula I bought.
[quoted image]
All 3 have mostly the same part number: The one without the lugs is STERN B-562 and the unit with the lugs is STERN IB-562. I had never bothered to look at the part numbers until now. Sometime back I installed the one with the lugs in one of my Sterns and it would not fit.
[quoted image]
This is the channel that sits on top of the back glass. I cannot find a part number anywhere on this channel.
[quoted image]
This channel also has two lugs spot welded on.
[quoted image]
When you twist the key to lock your back glass in the back box, the lock strap rolls forward and locks in with the lugs on the back glass channel
[quoted image]
But if you try to install the strap with the lugs into your back box you cannot get it into full lock position because the lugs on the strap interfere with the lugs on the channel.
[quoted image]
The Dracula I bought did not have a back glass and I do not know how the channel for the back glass on Dracula looked. Dracula is an MPU-100 pin. And so is Hot Hand. However, the Hot Hand(donor pin) I parted out has the later style of cabinet and also the later style of cabinet when compared to my CPU-200 pins ( Meteor is the 1st MPU-200 pin).
Stern's productions runs were Hot Hand, then Cosmic Princess, and then Magic. Magic is the last MPU-100 pin. I have never seen a Magic in the flesh and do not know the construction of the cabinet. But my guess is that Magic, like Hot Hand before it, is also an MPU-200 style of cabinet.
Enough of this for right now.
=================================
Kerry has responded to my query of whether he can make the back box strap ( with the square hole for the key lock mechanism ). He says this will be easy to do.
I want and need the lock straps with out the lugs. The STERN B-562.
Is there going to be any demand for an MPU-100 pin lock strap with the lugs?
SPEAK UP !!!!!! How you all answer will determine which strap I send to Kerry. I figure he can make both.
SIDEBAR: I do not know Kerry. Never met him. Our communication has always been via email. I do not have any special connections with Kerry. I just wanted to get that out.
SPEAK UP !!!!!! How you all answer will determine which strap I send to Kerry.
SPEAK UP !!!!!! How you all answer will determine which strap I send to Kerry.

Kerry is now in possession of my shooter lane ball stop and a back glass lock down bar. I sent him the early style with the lugs that are spot welded on. This way he can make both styles if needed.

The earlier Sterns have that pivot bracket on the end. The later of the classic Sterns just use a screw and a bushing to attach the one end of the back glass lockdown bar. I would like to have some of these pivot brackets---if they don't cost too much as the bushing/screw combo does the job quite well. We'll have to see what he says.

5f035ce74bbc2c8d7232f1612ab9fab93213a8f7 (resized).jpg5f035ce74bbc2c8d7232f1612ab9fab93213a8f7 (resized).jpg

6479002ba590f5b1e2e5dbe88a45f1f0ea44b0f1 (resized).jpg6479002ba590f5b1e2e5dbe88a45f1f0ea44b0f1 (resized).jpg

#5488 2 years ago

Great looking pin! Correct me if I wrong, but I think Stern used regular hex head bolts to attach the legs, not acorn head type.
I like the acorn head better, but if you are going for 100% factory....

#5489 2 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Great looking pin! Correct me if I wrong, but I think Stern used regular hex head bolts to attach the legs, not acorn head type.

Todd at Big Daddy has, or had, a stock of those flat top Stern leg bolts.

#5490 2 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I belive you are correct but they look unfinished to me. My legs are powered coated and i'm running with the new style Stern metal leg protectors with plastic washers. That alone makes the oem bolts a no go. They are a little on the short side.

#5491 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Todd at Big Daddy has, or had, a stock of those flat top Stern leg bolts.

On a side note, the shop I visit like to throw all that stuff away...
Bally & classic Stern leg bolts in the trash and new 5/8" acorn nuts in place.

#5492 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Kerry said $25.00 has moved the needle enough that will try to kick out a couple of prototypes for me to a look at.
Sling shot kicker arms is what we are talking.

Any word on this? I just had one snap tonight

D425B8D9-793C-4764-BF8F-3858C9D4ACBB (resized).jpegD425B8D9-793C-4764-BF8F-3858C9D4ACBB (resized).jpeg
#5493 2 years ago

Hi,
Can someone please advise what diode i need to replace some faulty ones on my Stars drop targets.
Thanks
Peter

#5494 2 years ago
Quoted from Alby:

Hi,
Can someone please advise what diode i need to replace some faulty ones on my Stars drop targets.
Thanks
Peter

Pretty sure 4004 diodes are used on all early Stern DT bank coils and switches.

DT Bank (resized).jpgDT Bank (resized).jpg
#5495 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Pretty sure 4004 diodes are used on all early Stern DT bank coils and switches.[quoted image]

Wow that was quick, thank you for the quick reply and the detailed schematics.

#5496 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Any word on this? I just had one snap tonight
[quoted image]

I can't help you. I am waiting just like everybody else.

Sorry for loss. You will just have to get a substitute for now.

#5497 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I can't help you. I am waiting just like everybody else.
Sorry for loss. You will just have to get a substitute for now.

No worries. I just ordered 4 Bally replacements from pinball life, so I’m going to swap all of mine out so they play the same. It just sucks that my new toy broke in the first week

#5498 2 years ago

Someone got a nice deal! Looked like it was in great shape.

SternViperInYankton (resized).jpgSternViperInYankton (resized).jpg
#5499 2 years ago

Dammit, that was close to me too!!!!

#5500 2 years ago

Must be Viper season. That's like 5 for sale in the last month.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
$ 169.00
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 959.00
$ 169.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
There are 10,741 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.