Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,739 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 215.
#5351 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunfisch:

As you can see, Alltek uses SMD parts, but supplies you with holes so you can repair it with old-fashioned parts. You can use the original type that was on the original Stern board. By the way, it's not a transistor but a SCR (silicone controlled rectifier, or "Thyristor")

Thank you. I was looking right past the repair holes.

The thing of it is I just got finished building one of those Pinitech UNO displays kits. Each display board has one of the surface mount units to install. They were a snap to install with just a solder iron. So, if Alltek would send me some of these surface mount SCRs I would apply the heat and R & R it.

Quoted from Thunfisch:

I guess it is this one
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/2N5064
Can somebody else please confirm?
I guess 2N5060 might do the job as well?

I'll call Alltek in the morning and confirm what we should be using.

#5352 2 years ago

Ha ha, it's printed right there on the board. 2N5060 I think. I did this a long time ago on a Harlem Globetrotters and it worked just fine.

#5353 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Ha ha, it's printed right there on the board. 2N5060 I think. I did this a long time ago on a Harlem Globetrotters and it worked just fine.

same here, quick repair with a spare one i had at home.

#5354 2 years ago

Anyone need a f2k big drop bank? Not mine. Some dude on facebook has one.

#5355 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Ha ha, it's printed right there on the board. 2N5060

You are right. I repaired mine with a 2N5064 SCN and it worked as well. (See photo some posts above)

#5356 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Quoted from hisokajp:

same here, quick repair with a spare one i had at home.

Thanks for sharing this info. I could replace as I have those part numbers in my inventory. But my board has trace damage, as well. I'm guessing the traces will still work but I am going to try for a replacement board.

IMG_7017 (resized).JPGIMG_7017 (resized).JPG

Alltek has sent me an email this morning with a return authorization so I am sending it in and will ask for a replacement board.

#5357 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The linked post is where I talk about how I fixed a set of bricking drop targets. This thread is where I talk about the drop targets falling down prematurely.
The 3 drops in this left hand drop target would not stay up when lifted. One of them, and it could be any of the 3, would always fall down when they were raised back up.
The cause of the problem was that the drops would be pushed up and they would be pushing against the play field and this play field contact would make them fall prematurely. There is no room to push this drop assembly back farther in its slotted hole so I had to get out my rasp and some 80 grit sandpaper and keep sanding the play field away in this slotted hole. I have frontal clearance with the drops and one of them is still making contact, but getting some empty space in front of the drops and adding new return springs stopped the falling down.
[quoted image]

So, my experience suggests if your drops are bricking, you need to make sure the drop is not slamming into the rubber ring and you may have to move the drop assembly forward a couple of millimeters. This means you have to fill the holes your drop assembly screws into and move the holes forward just that little bit.
And if your targets keep dropping down then you probably need to make some clearance between the drops and the play field slotted hole.

I had the same issue on my Meteor where the slot for one of the 3 drops was too small for the new style drop targets to work properly. In my conversations with CPR they said they would expand the cut out in future runs. Maybe someone should reach out for Star Gazer too.

drop1 (resized).jpgdrop1 (resized).jpgdrop2 (resized).jpgdrop2 (resized).jpgdrop3 (resized).jpgdrop3 (resized).jpg
#5358 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I had the same issue on my Meteor where the slot for one of the 3 drops was too small for the new style drop targets to work properly. In my conversations with CPR they said they would expand the cut out in future runs. Maybe someone should reach out for Star Gazer too.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Does this mean CPR is the one that took over the Greatwich stuff or was CPR planning to do Star Gazer anyway?

#5359 2 years ago

CPR are acknowledged to not the buyer of John’s setup. No offense to bigguybbr (follow his Trident resto thread!) but I wouldn’t take any weight on his comment. That said, I don’t have any inside knowledge of CPR’s plans.

#5360 2 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Does this mean CPR is the one that took over the Greatwich stuff or was CPR planning to do Star Gazer anyway?

He’s just saying maybe reach out to the guy making Star Gazer (John). On a side note, CPR said 2-3 years ago in one of their bulletins that they will make Star Gazer, Seawitch and Nine Ball playfields.

#5361 2 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

Sorry didn’t know Stargazer wasn’t a CPR title or anything about it really.

I was just sharing my experiences with drop targets, and that CPR had said they would change their CAD file for future runs for Meteor, and to maybe reach out to whoever is producing the playfield and see if they can change theirs in the future.

The statement holds true about the slot being too small however. It causes a bunch of problems with the larger top targets.

#5362 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

No offense to bigguybbr (follow his Trident resto thread!)…

No offense taken

#5363 2 years ago

Would any of you expect the following voltage differences on a new power supply board to cause the mpu not to boot?

TP1 Actual 6.3vdc Spec 5.4vdc
TP2 Actual 256vdc Spec 230vdc
TP3 Actual 15.5vdc Spec 11.9vdc
TP4 Actual 6.93vac Spec 7.3vac
TP5 Actual 47vdc Spec 43vdc
8D36F4F5-E097-498A-BCB4-D255935B9E6E (resized).jpeg8D36F4F5-E097-498A-BCB4-D255935B9E6E (resized).jpeg

#5364 2 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

Could the following voltage differences on a new power supply board cause the mpu not to boot?

No.
Those voltages are in range.

#5365 2 years ago

I just traded emails with Kerry at Mantis Pinball about reproducing some new sling shot arms for the classic Sterns. He was trying to get them to where he could sell them for $15.00 each. And he cannot make them at that price.

It is an example of something that can be made, but not at a price anyone would want to pay.

Maybe someone can ask Terry at Pinball Life if he wants to look into possibly making these.

#5366 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I just traded emails with Kerry at Mantis Pinball about reproducing some new sling shot arms for the classic Sterns. He was trying to get them to where he could sell them for $15.00 each. And he cannot make them at that price.
It is an example of something that can be made, but not at a price anyone would want to pay.
Maybe someone can ask Terry at Pinball Life if he wants to look into possibly making these.

I need new slingshot mechanisms for my Flight 2000. I would buy 3.

#5367 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Did he try at $25.00 a piece ?

#5368 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

He was trying to get them to where he could sell them for $15.00 each

A pair of Stern sling shot mechs sold for $55.00 recently (incl US shipping) on ebay. So essentially $27.50 each for a worn sling shot arm.

$25.00 each as Vec-tor suggested would seem a reasonable price to pay especially as buying a used one will most likely be worn crap & expensive.

#5369 2 years ago

Not having the slings egged out makes a HUGE difference in the slings. I was lucky enough to get 8-9 NOS ones years ago and used them on my flight 2k and it was night and day.

#5370 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I need new slingshot mechanisms for my Flight 2000. I would buy 3.

Quoted from vec-tor:

Did he try at $25.00 a piece ?

Quoted from Joydivision:

A pair of Stern sling shot mechs sold for $55.00 recently (incl US shipping) on ebay. So essentially $27.50 each for a worn sling shot arm.
$25.00 each as Vec-tor suggested would seem a reasonable price to pay especially as buying a used one will most likely be worn crap & expensive.

Quoted from slochar:

Not having the slings egged out makes a HUGE difference in the slings. I was lucky enough to get 8-9 NOS ones years ago and used them on my flight 2k and it was night and day.

When I ran with this quite a while back, everyone was saying $15.00 each was the most they would pay. And now $25.00 each is not a problem?

So................how many of you are going to step and lay down $50.00 for a pair of sling kickers? If just 5 or 10 of you pop up and say " I would pay that much" I wouldn't insult Kerry by asking.

Stand up and make your self counted.

I'd buy a pair at $50.00/pair. Maybe two pair.

Count up.

#5371 2 years ago

I need at least 4 if I want to get rid of the slop in my Trident, 6 if I want spares to swap out my Meteor if it makes that big of a difference. $25 a pop isn’t too steep if they are well made. My Mantis lockdown bar was fantastic, so I would expect similar.

#5372 2 years ago

I would buy 3 of them.

#5374 2 years ago

I’d pickup up at least one pair.

Is Kerry capable of producing a pivot bracket (A-143) to accompany these?

Thank you for your efforts, Cotton, to move this forward.

FFEE99CB-3255-46E3-8B41-F604CA72E133 (resized).jpegFFEE99CB-3255-46E3-8B41-F604CA72E133 (resized).jpeg
#5375 2 years ago

I would be in for a set at as well.

#5376 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I need at least 4 if I want to get rid of the slop in my Trident, 6 if I want spares to swap out my Meteor if it makes that big of a difference. $25 a pop isn’t too steep of they are well made. My Mantis lockdown bad was fantastic, so I would expect similar.

On top of my pair, you are either going for 6 or 8.

#5377 2 years ago

Any of the Classic Stern folks bringing any games to Pinfest? I will have a Stars there to play.

#5378 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

On top of my pair, you are either going for 6 or 8.

Quoted from DanMarino:

I would buy 3 of them.

That's makes you 9 or 11 depending.

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I'm down for a set.

This makes you set #12 for a pair.

Next guy up, count your self in so I don't have to keep looking back to keep track.

Thanks.

#5379 2 years ago
Quoted from ant_:

I’d pickup up at least one pair.
Is Kerry capable of producing a pivot bracket (A-143) to accompany these?
Thank you for your efforts, Cotton, to move this forward.
[quoted image]

Kerry does not need to repro the bracket.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-kicker-mounting-bracket.html

a-17810 kicker bracket (resized).jpga-17810 kicker bracket (resized).jpg

Just installing one of these will get rid of a lot of your sloppy action. It is not an exact copy. You have to file out the side of one holes to allow clearance for the kicker arm. You should also fill one hole in the play field with some dowel and drill one new hole.

You will also have to file away about 1/16" of the pivot cylinder as this unit has a little bit shorter pivot. It is EZ to mod this part and your kicker so it all works.

Thanks for your kind words. It is appreciated.

#5380 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I would be in for a set at as well.

Thank you # 14/pair.

Where is # 15?

Next.

#5381 2 years ago

I'm in for a set.

#5382 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I'm in for a set.

Number 15 is the last set I have. And you are.....# ??

#5383 2 years ago

I'm #17 for one pair.

#5384 2 years ago

I could use two to three sets.
I have a few that have snapped and are missing the head.

#5385 2 years ago

Shit, FOMO, what am I agreeing to purchase two sets of?

#5386 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Shit, FOMO, what am I agreeing to purchase two sets of?

Slingshot kicker arms at $25 each, or $50 for a set.

#5387 2 years ago

Kerry said $25.00 has moved the needle enough that will try to kick out a couple of prototypes for me to a look at.

Sling shot kicker arms is what we are talking.

#5388 2 years ago

Are these arms universal between earlier games like Stars and later such as Seawitch and Nine Ball?

#5389 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Are these arms universal between earlier games like Stars and later such as Seawitch and Nine Ball?

I hope so, they should be compatible with CDI Chicago Coin.

#5390 2 years ago

I’m familiar with this substitute because you shared it in this thread a few years ago. Thanks again!

It’s not that I’m opposed to solutions like yours, but I have sling mechs with substitute arms and brackets that I’m trying to bring back to original, as well as a dwindling supply of NOS sling arms that would pair nicely with repro pivot brackets.

I’ve never spoken to Kerry, so I’m not familiar with his capabilities, which is why I asked if he could reproduce the bracket; I am aware of his reputation for quality parts. Whether he’s interested in being the go-to vendor for repro SEI sling shot mechs, and whether it’s economically feasible to do so, are logical follow up questions.

Bringing back any of these parts, that have not been available for a long time, will help all of us get our games closer to how they were designed and keep them there. Thanks to all who have stepped up and raised their hands. Hobbyists like you, Cotton, that push these conversations forward, and manufacturers like Mantis, that cater to our common interests, are what make this community special.

#5391 2 years ago

I would buy a pair as well. Would be good to get repro brackets as well - in an ideal world.

Is the arm the main part that badly wears? or is it both the arm & bracket? I don't have a Classic Stern ATM to determine.

#5392 2 years ago

Looking at my Flight 2000 tonight, I realize I need 4 of these, not 3. So I need 2 pairs or 2.

#5393 2 years ago

I believe these arms are prone to breaking at the top as well as wearing out - so their may be quite a few people in need of them.

#5394 2 years ago

I’d buy 4 sets at least.

#5395 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I’d buy 4 sets at least.

No need to keep counting. Kerry has been having good fortunes in selling his parts. For the $25.00 price he thinks he can risk some time trying to make them.

#5396 2 years ago
Quoted from ant_:

I’m familiar with this substitute because you shared it in this thread a few years ago. Thanks again!
It’s not that I’m opposed to solutions like yours, but I have sling mechs with substitute arms and brackets that I’m trying to bring back to original, as well as a dwindling supply of NOS sling arms that would pair nicely with repro pivot brackets.
I’ve never spoken to Kerry, so I’m not familiar with his capabilities, which is why I asked if he could reproduce the bracket; I am aware of his reputation for quality parts. Whether he’s interested in being the go-to vendor for repro SEI sling shot mechs, and whether it’s economically feasible to do so, are logical follow up questions.
Bringing back any of these parts, that have not been available for a long time, will help all of us get our games closer to how they were designed and keep them there. Thanks to all who have stepped up and raised their hands. Hobbyists like you, Cotton, that push these conversations forward, and manufacturers like Mantis, that cater to our common interests, are what make this community special.

When I first proposed this to Kerry, I sent him one of my most worn kicker assemblies along with the pivot bracket. I advised him of the pivot bracket that is already out there. I did not push for him to make the pivots.

I understand your desire for remaining in original condition. I figure if he can make the kicker arms and start selling them, perhaps he might be willing to make the pivot bracket. But the kicker arms are first priority. No kicker arms and you don't need the pivot bracket.

In the meantime time, if you make your goal of remaining all original you can make that happen. Take your old worn pivots to a local machine shop that could remove the worn pivot, and manufacture a replacement on the lathe. Or you could take one of the pivots from PL and cut off some of the extra material, weld up the hole and re-drill a new hole to match Stern's original design. Not cheap, but quite doable.

#5397 2 years ago

My ball shooter guides/stops in the shooter rail are all corroded, pitted, and have faded chrome. I thought I saw some for sale on one of the pinball websites but can't find it now.

Does anybody know if these are for sale anywhere?

IMG_7083 (resized).JPGIMG_7083 (resized).JPG

If not, I am going hit up Kerry to see if he would make some from polished stainless. I love bling.

#5398 2 years ago

I haven't found those for sale anywhere and I've hunted. Seems easy enough for Kerry's abilities. I'd be in on a couple more than likely.

#5399 2 years ago

I would be in for at least two sets of sling shot arms maybe more...

#5400 2 years ago

Well it was time to paint that Witch blue. Dark blue tomorrow if the paint sets up nice and hard.

20210727_092418 (resized).jpg20210727_092418 (resized).jpg20210727_185214 (resized).jpg20210727_185214 (resized).jpg20210728_100410 (resized).jpg20210728_100410 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 12.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 959.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Copenhagen
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

There are 10,739 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/108 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.