6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

devils_advocate_500.jpg

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

I for one would take the build quality of a seventies house over the prefab crap of today...............Just sayin'

I don't think your statement could be farther from the truth. Stick built homes today are 10 fold better than those even built in the 90's and those homes make the 70's homes look like shacks. Building materials today are extremely advanced, lighter, stronger, safer, etc. Architecture is above and beyond, plumbing, electrical, basically every single part of homes built today make prior decades look like crap.

Now, depending on regions you live in, craftsmanship is another thing entirely. Always find a great contractor or do it yourself.

However, in the pinball world, pins made today do not even compare to the pins of the early-mid 90's.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I have a lot of video games. Time Pilot is already going to O-Din, so that is accounted for.
    The Frogger, Zaxxon, Turbo, Pole Position, Asteroids, Battlezone, Super Offroad, Operation Thunderbolt, Capcom Bowling, Satans' Hollow, Joust, Robotron, Stargate, Pacmania, SSFIICE and Vanguard still need a home..

Ah, Vanguard! Early SNK game. Loved to play it. Simple graphics and sound, but kick ass play! Still remember the music. Wish I had room for it.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

I don't think your statement could be farther from the truth. Stick built homes today are 10 fold better than those even built in the 90's and those homes make the 70's homes look like shacks.

Same in France! Worst decade for construction was the 70's. Bad taste and cheap materials seemed to rule then. (just talking about housing !)

#54 6 years ago

Back to the topic: I do care about prices because I would like to see more games on location. I am travelling a lot so having many pins at home is not the ultimate solution and well... it's more fun to compete. At $7500 a piece, I doubt we will see many new ones. What I would love to see would be a machine sold for $3-4k, relatively simple but built like a tank with easy maintenance. That might help convince bars and other places to install pins.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Worst decade for construction was the 70's.

Some of them around here have held up pretty well, but I like my 1959 model with the crawlspace and the 2 inch thick plaster walls.

#56 6 years ago

You would be making a huge mistake buying that 70s home. A LEED certified home is so much better built for heating and cooling as well as being a healthier home. When I see every hole drilled by the electrician through a 2 x 4 then sealed with foam I am amazed. HVAC systems with typical 20% loss values brought down to almost zero. I see utility bills In a home at $100 in August with the AC set at 70 degrees.
    New construction by some builders is really impressive and far superior to anything done before.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A lousy comparison is the housing market- they are still building houses- when was the last time a TZ was made, and how many more are going to be made?

In the case of housing, the argument was "they aren't making any more land you know".

#58 6 years ago

It may be better in VA but not in CA. It's the codes that have changed through the years that make the newer houses more efficient, that's all. If the contractors building today didn't have these restrictions, the houses built would be real cheap (in construction and quality) so they can make more money. It's the things you don't see that can make or break the house.

There are some things they require today that I think need to be improved still, in the SFBA, the only walls that are required to be level are on the outside corners and no interior walls. Also, what ever way the foundation goes, so does the house, if it isn't square, the house won't be either. I've never seen an inspector check this in any track or custom home I've worked in.

In my business (kitchen & bathroom remodeling), I live by the square and level. I was trying to install kitchen cabinets in one of these buggers, the "L" shaped kitchen was 2" out of square in a 10' run and 1/2" out of level at the window. This was a 2 year old $Mill+ Presley (builder) house with all the energy saving gizmos. Why remodel when everything is new? They didn't like the color/wood of the cabinets. At a glance, it looked great ... until you got to the fine detail, they were the cheapest crap you can buy.

The outside of these houses look beautiful but if you look closely at this detail you'll see cracks in the places where they stucco'd over styrofoam shapes or broken pieces of this type of outside window trim that were knocked off. 5/8" plywood sub-flooring that gives when you put weight on it (level up a cabinet and step back, it's no longer level), I could go on and on, don't get me started. As these houses get older, they tend to fall apart.

IMHO, any of the houses built up to the 50's were of better craftmanship/detail/materials but had no thought of efficiency but this can be corrected and you can end up with a awesome house depending on what you do to it. The problem is that the neighborhood probably won't be as nice as a gated community like a Blackhawk/Presley home.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuS:

If people think prices are high now, what's gonna happen if some TV network comes up with a "reality TV" show called "Pinheads" or "Pinball Wizards", about guys who restore/refurbish pins? The current "high" prices will seem like bargains. I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but I'm just saying...

I'd love to play a Devil's Advocate!

devils_advocate_500.jpg

#60 6 years ago

Double post

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Back to the topic: I do care about prices because I would like to see more games on location. I am travelling a lot so having many pins at home is not the ultimate solution and well... it's more fun to compete. At $7500 a piece, I doubt we will see many new ones. What I would love to see would be a machine sold for $3-4k, relatively simple but built like a tank with easy maintenance. That might help convince bars and other places to install pins.

Almost all of my pins come from operators. I work with about 30 operators out there, they all hate pins, no matter what the price. Pins just don't make money, plain and simple. People just don't play them like they used and dropping the price is not going to change that even if operators did buy them.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

My AFM set me back large

Is that a brag or a cry for help?

#63 6 years ago

I think we all are crying for help, Stern and JJP are just deaf

#64 6 years ago

yes they are not making TZ's anymore. BUUUUUUT. They made more TZ's than the last 13 machines Sterns made combined. So there's plenty to go around.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 49.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 12.50
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 9.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 119.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside