Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

OhSnap.gif
winking0023.gif
wow.gif
spfx_10_front_back.jpg
Pinball_Magazine_preview_cover_2.jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

In case you haven't seen it:
http://mail.aol.com/36673-111/aol-6/en-us/Suite.aspx

Pinball_Magazine_preview_cover_2.jpgPinball_Magazine_preview_cover_2.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Is that the magazine with the $15 cover price and $9 shipping?

#3 11 years ago

Looks to be a packed magazine. That interview alone is 40 pages. Wow!

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

When people are paying $7k for a new machine, or $7-9k for 1990's Bally/Williams games, then $24 is a drop in the bucket for an expense

#5 11 years ago

Your link takes me to an AOL email login page. I have not had an AOL email account for 15 years.

#6 11 years ago

$15? Is there bourbon in it?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

When people are paying $7k for a new machine, or $7-9k for 1990's Bally/Williams games, then $24 is a drop in the bucket for an expense

Really? That's where the pin price wailers are taking this argument now? Hell, with the price of pinball machines these days, why not give $100 for a gallon of milk?

Total non sequitur. Saw our old buddy Steven P make that same argument about the price of this magazine on RGP. Enough said.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

$15? Is there bourbon in it?

Ha! You don't put bourbon it it, or nothin'?

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Looks to be a packed magazine. That interview alone is 40 pages. Wow!

You could download the two hour long interview he did with Clay for TOPcast for free.

#10 11 years ago

"How to make money as a pinball operator?"

I'd preface that article with "Wishful thinking:"

; )

#11 11 years ago

Cover photograph, layout, etc. a bit dull. Usually a magazine's premiere issue is flashy and eye catching. Hope the contents are better....
P

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

You could download the two hour long interview he did with Clay for TOPcast for free.

Or you could support the community. Up to you.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Really? That's where the pin price wailers are taking this argument now? Hell, with the price of pinball machines these days, why not give $100 for a gallon of milk?
Total non sequitur. Saw our old buddy Steven P make that same argument about the price of this magazine on RGP. Enough said.

Who's wailing about pin prices? I made a simple reply to your comment that the mag was expensive. Pins are expensive, its an expensive hobby. This magazine seems to take the Pingame Journal idea to a new level, so its going to be expensive. If someone can spend $9000 on a routed MM, they are a collector who won't mind spending $24 on a quality magazine.

I never said anything about agreeing with the price, nor have I ever complained about pin prices.

#14 11 years ago

How about they release an amazon ebook of the mag for 9.99?

No shipping, no printing, easier to swallow pricetag, way less overhead.....

But who am I kidding, this hobby is for rich old people.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

"How to make money as a pinball operator?"

The answer is produce a $15 magazine

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

If someone can spend $9000 on a routed MM, they are a collector who won't mind spending $24 on a quality magazine.

That's a pretty small slice of an already pretty small pie don't you think? But perhaps this is the LE version. I'll hold out for the Pro, with the 20 page interview with one of Rogers sons.

And just because someone spends tons of money on pins doesn't mean they don't value a dollar or a euro or a loonie. That's what it sounds like you're suggesting, apologies if I'm misinterpreting.

Also, cover price on Robb Report is $7.99, less on subscription. So there's that.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

The answer is produce a $15 magazine

Click BUY NOW to get 15 easy tips on how to make money on pinball!

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Or you could support the community. Up to you.

Buying a $25 magazine is supporting the pinball community?

OK. Let me figure out this logic.....I am selling used pinballs for $50 each. But these aren't just plain old used pinballs, they are going to hand painted and signed by yours truly. Real pieces of one-of-a-kind art here.

A:Buying them will benefit me.

B:I am part of the pinball community.

C:You should buy my overpriced stuff to support the community.

A:C. Got it.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

Cover photograph, layout, etc. a bit dull. Usually a magazine's premiere issue is flashy and eye catching. Hope the contents are better....
P

How about this?

Issue #2 features Steve Ritchie in a Speedo leading against AC/DC.

Articles include:
"Bride of Pinbot: Hot strategies to make her moan"
"Is your game cheating on you? Here's how to know for sure!"
"Steve Kordek - His top secret pinball projects revealed!"
"Special full-color centerfold poster of Python Anghelo"
"Sneak Peek at Greg Freres next project: Droopy Zucchini!"

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

How about this?
Articles include:

I would pay $25 for that one.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Articles include:

Id buy that!

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

And just because someone spends tons of money on pins doesn't mean they don't value a dollar or a euro or a loonie. That's what it sounds like you're suggesting, apologies if I'm misinterpreting.

No, thats not what I am saying. Basically to sum it up, supply and demand. Pins are expensive because of the demand. However that is relative to the person buying as some people have more funds than others. Same logic on the mag. Its expensive to some but not a big deal to others. My opinion is that someone who spends a ton on a game, is a die hard collector and won't mind spending a premium on the magazine that has to do with this expensive hobby. I am neither saying people don't value their money no matter how much they have, nor am I saying the price is a deal. No hidden meaning on my post, its only an assumption

#23 11 years ago

Hey everybody, there's a story about the Pinside in it, that should count for something!

#24 11 years ago

marketing involves price point. Will you sell $15 magazines? Sure, probably to 100 or so people. If you sold it for $10, you could probably sell 500-1000 copies (hence, more money).

Apple could probably still sell iphones for $600 and there would be apple fan boys that would still buy it, but I'm sure they make much more money by selling them for $200 with 2-year contract.

Since I've never seen a pinball magazine (and knowing half of magazine cost is recouped through advertising), there probably isn't a whole lot of advertising to be had (a dozen small pinball vendors at best). I think a magazine for pinball in general will be a hard sell. With podcasts and two pinball news websites, what's left for news?

#25 11 years ago

Here's the link to the site. I might buy.

http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?page_id=2

#26 11 years ago

Hey! I publish a magazine. The prices to put out a quality mag are huge. The fanzines coming out now are mostly around $10 a copy with 48-56 pages...and not all color! Magazines are hard work...the price may be a little high, but not crazy.

spfx_10_front_back.jpgspfx_10_front_back.jpg

#27 11 years ago

Thank you for the working link.

#28 11 years ago

Your welcome.

I think the price for the mag is fair, but shipping costs seem high to me. Shouldn't cost $9 to ship a mag.

#29 11 years ago

Isn't it coming from Overseas? And we don't know how heavy it is. I've shipped mags for more than that to New Zealand....

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Isn't it coming from Overseas? And we don't know how heavy it is. I've shipped mags for more than that to New Zealand....

Wait... Don't tell me... Peter Jackson is one of your mag's subscribers

#31 11 years ago

He certainly has my mags. Was going to do an interview with him...but there are already a thousand...

#32 11 years ago

I'm guessing it's coming from netherlands? Don't know, it was the default setting when I clicked on shipping...just a guess.

#33 11 years ago

Gotta get the weight too...the mag may be a lunker....

wow.gifwow.gif

#34 11 years ago

I think a pinball magazine is cool. Let's just hope if they sell subscriptions they can mail them out in a timely manner. PinGame Journal was cool, but you never knew when an issue was going to show up.

#35 11 years ago

I wish him the best of luck in a time when print media is failing! Its not going to be easy! But, I do see an increase in the pinball fan base these days!

Hell, they link to the Iowa Pinball Club, and I link to them!

-Aaron

#36 11 years ago

I just ordered. You don't have to make a long-term commitment, it's just for a single issue. I think it is worth checking out on that basis.

#37 11 years ago

If PAPA did a magazine that was a tutorial for different games, similar to their vids, I would buy that!

#38 11 years ago

If it's coming from overseas to the U.S., I can see $9 for shipping. I would like to see a table of contents for the issue, before I order, unless what it lists on the cover is what's in the mag.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Hey everybody, there's a story about the Pinside in it, that should count for something!

Noobs and Boobs and the Sellers Who Love Them.
Riveting article, I couldn't put it down.

#40 11 years ago

Looking forward to this mag! However I never got the whole "t-shirt with sports jacket" look. I think I'll start a new trend by wearing a denim jacket, button-down shirt and wacky tie to work.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Noobs and Boobs and the Sellers Who Love Them.
Riveting article, I couldn't put it down.

How about "Tips, Tits and Twits?" ::

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

For your edification, it wasn't an 'argument' that I made, but commentary on the current silly price inflation in the pinball world. And to clarify further, I am not your old buddy! And, my exact quote in response to someone stating the magazine price was 'crazy' was: "No more ridiculous than the prices many are charging and paying for games these days." Get over it.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Who's wailing about pin prices? I made a simple reply to your comment that the mag was expensive. Pins are expensive, its an expensive hobby. This magazine seems to take the Pingame Journal idea to a new level, so its going to be expensive. If someone can spend $9000 on a routed MM, they are a collector who won't mind spending $24 on a quality magazine.
I never said anything about agreeing with the price, nor have I ever complained about pin prices.

Don't take it seriously. Gambit speaks from a place that is not his mouth.

#44 11 years ago

By the sound of it this is going to be more of a book than a magazine. 40 pages for a single interview.
The total number of pages must be well over a hundred if the interview is not the bulk of it.
I will certainly buy the first issue since there is not much else to read with the PGJ so few and far between. This $15 will last me longer than a round of beer.

#45 11 years ago

Add pictures to those 40 pages, as well as some editorial columns and other returning features, and the magazine is likely to count 68 pages or more. Add a couple of advertisements and who knows how many pages it will be.

The plan is to do a couple of issues each year, but there won’t be a fixed publishing date

Taken from the front page of the site.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Hell my $34.00 for PingameJournal at least has me covered for another 3 years at the production rate of 2 issues a year!

#47 11 years ago

PinballNinja.com is a great site at least with the ninja you get a new article and video every few days and it's only 20 Bucks for a subscription.The site is great and filled with great info!!

Donations can be made to [email protected]

Hosted by Clay.

#48 11 years ago

Scan Pinside section into PDF?

#49 11 years ago

I just ordered my copy.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Don't take it seriously. Gambit speaks from a place that is not his mouth.

There's the softer, gentler side of StevenP that we were promised.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/preview-pinball-magazine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.