(Topic ID: 82873)

Preventing more shooter lane wear? (MET Pro)

By Hudson

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Hudson
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Met-install-074.JPG
shooter lane wear.jpg
#1 10 years ago

My Metallica Pro has about 1300 plays on it now and I noticed that the shooter lane is getting some wear from the ball popping into it. I know that wear is going to happen, its a steel ball versus wood! But I would like to minimize the wear as much as possible. Its my first pin so I wanted to check to see what you guys would recommend before doing anything. I thought about adding a Cliffy shooter eject protector, but I don't think that would help the far side of the V groove from getting banged up. What about putting a coat of varnish on it?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!

shooter lane wear.jpgshooter lane wear.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Cliffy makes a protector for both side of the shooter lane. They are two different ones.some guys including me have had trouble with the near laying flat and outer moving around from ball hits. Some people prefer Mylar .

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

My Metallica Pro has about 1300 plays on it now and I noticed that the shooter lane is getting some wear from the ball popping into it. I know that wear is going to happen, its a steel ball versus wood! But I would like to minimize the wear as much as possible. Its my first pin so I wanted to check to see what you guys would recommend before doing anything. I thought about adding a Cliffy shooter eject protector, but I don't think that would help the far side of the V groove from getting banged up. What about putting a coat of varnish on it?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!

Just keep playing your game and enjoy it...it's nothing to be concerned about.

-Mark

#4 10 years ago

The cliffy isnt going to protect that area. Seems the ball hits the lane and not the side of the cab, making the cliffy useless. Im not going to worry about it though..

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

What about putting a coat of varnish on it?

Several coats of clear lacquer will slow the damage. Allow plenty of drying time between coats. You can buy small bottles of lacquer at hobby shops. Can be brushed on. Make sure you have paint thinner to clean the brush. Not water soluble. Smelly too, so make sure the wife is out if your game is in the house.

#6 10 years ago

Cliffy shooter lane protectors along with metal plate to protect the side wood have worked pretty well for me in the home environment. I use them along with light adhesive vinyl or contact paper on all my pins before I play and they have protected the area very well for me.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Cliffy shooter lane protectors along with metal plate to protect the side wood have worked pretty well for me in the home environment. I use them along with light adhesive vinyl or contact paper on all my pins before I play and they have protected the area very well for me.

When my ball ejects, it doesnt hit the side of the cabinet though, it hits the upswept part of the lane, where the metal plate doesnt reach (Just like the OPS). I bought some of the protectors and in fact looked at mounting it tonight, but a test fit shows for my Met LE at least, its useless. The left side will be going on of course, but the right, not so much...

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

^^This

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

When my ball ejects, it doesnt hit the side of the cabinet though, it hits the upswept part of the lane, where the metal plate doesnt reach (Just like the OPS). I bought some of the protectors and in fact looked at mounting it tonight, but a test fit shows for my Met LE at least, its useless. The left side will be going on of course, but the right, not so much...

There is a cliffy for that
http://www.pinballheaven.co.uk/shop/images/cliffy_sterntrough1.jpg

Picture shows three separate cliffys

#10 10 years ago

Ive got cliffy eject hole and right side rail protectors and it works pretty good for me. Maybe try adding some of these in the area to help protect it?

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=323&zenid=3kq32eaq3u56j82auiju1tuid2

#11 10 years ago

Hard as nails? Any good?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Wizcat:

There is a cliffy for that
http://www.pinballheaven.co.uk/shop/images/cliffy_sterntrough1.jpg
Picture shows three separate cliffys

I'll have to look into this. Thanks!

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Ive got cliffy eject hole and right side rail protectors and it works pretty good for me. Maybe try adding some of these in the area to help protect it?
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=323&zenid=3kq32eaq3u56j82auiju1tuid2

That looks perfect, it sold out . I'll try looking elsewhere. Thanks.

#14 10 years ago

My taf shooter lane was a little beat up. I protected it by cutting a piece of the stealth protectors that used to be available (similar to Mylar but not as adhesive), cut it the right size to fit in the lane and with a slit for the switch.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Contact Cliffy his site is:
http://www.passionforpinball.com/
Just scroll down to contact cliffy tab on his homepage.

Here is links to instructions cliffy posted in above thread:

Quoted from Cliffy:

I created an install guide for all the protectors here. It's linked from the protector page itself
http://www.passionforpinball.com/MetInstall.htm
http://www.passionforpinball.com/Metallica.htm

Here is a picture of a shooter lane fully covered in metal protectors. I also put down a light adhesive vinyl strip or contact paper as well but that may be overkill but that's what I do anyway.
Met-install-074.JPGMet-install-074.JPG

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Hard as nails? Any good?

I use it when I get a pin that has a bit of wear to protect it.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I use it when I get a pin that has a bit of wear to protect it.

I can definitely see it used in this application but for a newer or HUO pin it would be less work and probably be better off in the end just to go with light adhesive vinyl/mylar or contact paper. You can barely notice they are there and they provide more protection then hard as nails.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Lemme know if you cant find some. I bought extra last time I ordered and i can send ya some in the mail no prob.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Lemme know if you cant find some. I bought extra last time I ordered and i can send ya some in the mail no prob.

Thanks a bunch, I'll let ya know what happens. Thanks for the offer!!

#21 10 years ago

Thanks guys, didn't realize that there was a shooter lane protector for the far side that slipped under the rail. I will order that along with the one that goes around the eject hole. I think the combination of those two will minimize further damage.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 149.00
7,600 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 29.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/preventing-more-shooter-lane-wear-met-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.