(Topic ID: 147638)

Preventing bulbs from falling out of spot lights.

By jonesjb

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by redundor
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TS-80050-1_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I have a few spotlights above the playfield. I notice that the vibrations and such will eventually (and regularly) result in the bulbs popping out of the socket and onto the playfield. Can anyone offer a solution to make the bulb tighter or stick in the socket better to prevent this from happening?

#2 3 years ago

I pull the bulb and bend out the wires. After the wires are clear I put a small amount of electric tape. Then rebend the wires to original spot. The electric tape provides a snug fit.

#3 3 years ago

A dab of hot glue, or you could put a piece of shrink tube over the bulb, there is a thread about that somewhere on pinside

#4 3 years ago

I pull the bulb out and put a small dab of clear silicone on each side of the bulb just above the wires and then reinsert it in the socket. The silicone actually bonds to the the chrome shield of the spotlight and doesn't interfere with the wiring. If you ever need to remove the bulb the silicone peels right off. I use Permatex clear RTV. Hot glue works as well but will pull the chrome off the shield if you ever remove the bulb.

TS-80050-1_(resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago

Thanks, I didn't have silicon so went with Pdxmonkey's solution with the electrical tape and it worked great!

#6 3 years ago

teflon plumbers tape works great. no sticky residue like tape.

#7 3 years ago

A thin strip of electrical tape around the bulb base sometimes works. Hot glue may also work. If it is behind a rubber, check to make sure the rubber isn't hitting the bulb. Had that issue on my Xmen. I changed those to bayonet sockets.

#8 3 years ago

Most OPs use a glob of hot glue

#9 3 years ago

earthquake putty, easy to remove if needed

#10 3 years ago

Equally annoying as the bulbs coming out is when you have secured the LED and then eventually the light goes out and needs readjusting because of the thin wires not making contact. Slingshot mounted spotlights always seem to have this happen eventually.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from fish1975tx:

Equally annoying as the bulbs coming out is when you have secured the LED and then eventually the light goes out and needs readjusting because of the thin wires not making contact. Slingshot mounted spotlights always seem to have this happen eventually.

Agreed.....or the partial connect and the bulb dims or flickers on and off....the spot on my FGY is right above the drops, and sure as crap, they will reset and launch the ball right at it ( actually cracking the reflector once)....

And the red side of my TAF.....my 2 worst........

#12 3 years ago

I tried the tape around the bulb base with some success, but I have had better luck using electrical tape to tape the bulb to the socket. I have that heat shrink works really well also.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 119.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 7,300.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 219.00
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 50.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside