Preventing ball jams on Stargate?

By TheDrewster

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

It seems to me like this is a design flop, but during multiball, if you happen to hit a ball into the upper left upkicker (either through the Horus gate or through the Pyramid) and then shoot another ball through the pyramid before the first ball ejects, the balls get stuck because the upkicker cant successfully push both balls out at the same time. The coil is strong and fully functional, but because of the way the two balls sit on the upkicker, it cannot successfully eject them, trying and trying over and over, eventually resulting in the game locking out and going into "BALL STUCK CALL SERVICEPERSON" mode. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

#2 9 years ago

This doesn't seem to happen on my SG, even when hitting 2 balls up the left lane in a short period of time just like your scenario. It just kicks them out with maybe a 1 second delay between balls and you hear 2 distinct laser sounds associated with each kickout.

I tend to have a different issue with the right VUK. The issue I have on mine is sometimes a ball will get stuck and missing behind the right Horus guard & VUK, then randomly get kicked out by the VUK in a later game when exchanging quartz, especially with advance super jackpot. It may take 10-15 games before this happens though, and the game alerts that it's missing a ball.

Hopefully, someone more knowledgable chimes in with a suggestion.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Damonowskivich:

This doesn't seem to happen on my SG, even when hitting 2 balls up the left lane in a short period of time just like your scenario. It just kicks them out with maybe a 1 second delay between balls and you hear 2 distinct laser sounds associated with each kickout.
I tend to have a different issue with the right VUK. The issue I have on mine is sometimes a ball will get stuck and missing behind the right Horus guard & VUK, then randomly get kicked out by the VUK in a later game when exchanging quartz, especially with advance super jackpot. It may take 10-15 games before this happens though, and the game alerts that it's missing a ball.
Hopefully, someone more knowledgable chimes in with a suggestion.

Yeah, hitting two balls up the left lane in succession typically works fine, but its when one ball goes up the left lane and the other goes up the center Pyramid is when it gets choked up.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDrewster:

Yeah, hitting two balls up the left lane in succession typically works fine, but its when one ball goes up the left lane and the other goes up the center Pyramid is when it gets choked up.

Hmm, I'll have to test that.

#5 9 years ago

Yeap that happened to me too when I owned the SG, I would just nudge the pin at the same time it would kick and eventually they would both come out.

#6 9 years ago

There are three VUKs at the rear of the playfield on SG.

The "Left" VUK is fed either from the left Horus guard or through a subway from a pyramid shot.

The "Center" VUK is fed from the right Horus guard.

The "Right" VUK is fed from a shot up the right side Sarcophagus when the drop is down.

It is possible for shots up the left and right Horus to go past the hole for the VUK and get stuck there. There is foam on the rear rail on the left horus for the ball to bounce and go in the hole for the upkick. There is a post on the right Horus which should have rubber on it for the ball to bounce into the VUK.

For the right side it might be a simple matter of bad rubber on the post or the playfield worn enough to not allow the ball to roll back to the VUK.

For the left side, the spring on the VUK might need adjusting to allow proper feeding of the ball from the subway.

In hundreds, if not over a 1000 games, I can only recall the ball getting stuck in the left VUK twice and getting it dislodged with a nudge, never receiving a "Ball stuck" message. I have had instances where with multiple balls it misfires and refires a couple of times until it clears the balls out of the VUK. I wouldn't consider it a design issue, more a wear/maintenance issue.

I will say I have had the ball lost under the apron three times in that span as it is possible with the gate and how quickly a ball shoots in there for it to get lost. Even then that's still not a lot, relatively speaking, perhaps three times in 9-10,000 balls.

viperrwk

#7 9 years ago

Ok so I looked back at the shop pics I took and I have confirmed that the balls get stuck in the subway tunnel when there is one ball already in the left VUK when another is fed from the center pyramid shot. The ball fed from the center strikes and rests against the ball in the VUK and causes the VUK to unsuccessfully eject the ball because theyre both fighting for the same spot. So its a matter of adjusting the VUK spring?

3 weeks later
#8 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

There is a post on the right Horus which should have rubber on it for the ball to bounce into the VUK.
For the right side it might be a simple matter of bad rubber on the post or the playfield worn enough to not allow the ball to roll back to the VUK.

Thanks for the great information Viper. One question...Do I have to take everything apart to get the area with the post behind the VUK? In other words, is there an easy way to replace the rubber on that post without dismantling everything? I took a look and couldn't see a way to get into that area without removing at least the glider mechanism.

Thanks,
Luke

#9 9 years ago

I never had balls get stuck, where the VUK couldn't shoot them out. Did you rebuilt your VUK's? Make sure you have new sleeves.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I never had balls get stuck, where the VUK couldn't shoot them out. Did you rebuilt your VUK's? Make sure you have new sleeves.

Are you asking me? On mine, the balls on my never get stuck in the VUK. They get stuck past the VUK (behind the right guard target).

--Luke

#11 9 years ago

shouldn't. Is your foam in place? Never had one get stuck behind.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/preventing-ball-jams-on-stargate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.