Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by robertmee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Finishing up on my PinBot Machine. Just noticed that pressing Credit Button to add players gives point to Player 1.
Any Suggestions?

Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

bang on playfield with ball in shooter lane and look for phantom switch closures?

#3 8 years ago

run the switch test to look for stuck switches?

#4 8 years ago

Switch Test shows no switch stuck, Credit scores points. I have no clue?

#5 8 years ago

It gives you 1000 points when it kicks the first ball out, I have looked at all the switches, cannot find a closed one.

#6 8 years ago

Does it show any visor targets scoring when it scores points ?

#7 8 years ago

Yes, it shows right 5 bank middle. I looked at the switch matrix table. The problem seems to be on that row, row 3. It has the credit button,
Left drop target Lower, right 5 bank middle, switch 59 (10 points). But I do not get any errors on my switch test. Cannot find any stuck switches. Not sure how to troubleshoot it.

#8 8 years ago

It doesn't require a stuck switch for phantom switch closures to occur (would be easier if it did). Typically switch wired wrong, reversed diode, shorted diode or diode lead touching switch lead.

Did you do any work on any of the switches during your project?

Remove all of the balls from the game and raise any drop targets then see if the problem persists.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

It doesn't require a stuck switch for phantom switch closures to occur (would be easier if it did). Typically switch wired wrong, reversed diode, shorted diode or diode lead touching switch lead.
Did you do any work on any of the switches during your project?
Remove all of the balls from the game and raise any drop targets then see if the problem persists.

Should I concentrate on the switches in the credit button matrix, or could it be any switch.

#10 8 years ago

In order to get a phantom switch indication the following has to happen: Three switches closed and then the fourth indicates closed even though it isn't. These four switches will form a rectangle on the switch matrix. Since at the moment we only know two of the switches (and they're in the same row) we need to find at least one of other two switches (thus why we want to open all switches and test). The other two switches will likely be in the same row as each other, but not in the same row as the two switches you've identified.

A long answer to say the other two switches can be almost anywhere. Take the balls out, raise the drop targets and test again. That should tell us something.

Did you do any switch work?

Also make sure that when you close the credit button that the 5 right bank middle is the only other switch that closes. If the entire row closes then there is a different problem than phantom switch closures.

All of the testing should be done in switch levels test.

#11 8 years ago

When I run the switch test, there is always one switch closed. It is either switch 46 (visor closed) or switch 47 (visor open). Since the visor is either open or closed, I assume to be normal. (one switch has to be closed)

Am I wrong in assuming this?

#12 8 years ago

Hopefully making progress here....

Had all switches open, went to switch test mode.
Hit credit button numerous times.

It would at different times show all the switches in its row (row 3) except switch 51 - left drop target (lower).

It showed the following switches at one time or another by pushing the credit button.
Switch 3 - credit button, Switch 11 - right lane change, switch 19 - advance planet, switch 27 - not used, right 5 bank (middle) - switch 35, switch 43 - not used, switch 59 - 10 point.

What do I look for next?

Thanks!

#13 8 years ago

Actually, trying it a second time, I had switch 51 - left drop target (lower) show up. So all switches in that row will show up pushing only the credit button.

#14 8 years ago

On System 11 you have to wait patiently to get the full list of closed switches.

I would presume any other switch in row 3 will also have the same issue. Also, when you go into switch test do you get any errors (specifically ground row short error)?

Remove the row and column connectors after going in to switch test. Jumper from row 3 to any column and see if only the one switch shows closed or you get multiple closures. This will narrow it down to the playfield or the board.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Switch_problems

#15 8 years ago

Maybe the 1000 points is a clue. How many switches score exactly 1000 points at that point in the game?

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

On System 11 you have to wait patiently to get the full list of closed switches.
I would presume any other switch in row 3 will also have the same issue. Also, when you go into switch test do you get any errors (specifically ground row short error)?
Remove the row and column connectors after going in to switch test. Jumper from row 3 to any column and see if only the one switch shows closed or you get multiple closures. This will narrow it down to the playfield or the board.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Switch_problems

There are no errors in the switch test. All check ok.

The credit button is the only switch that brings up the others switches. So closing switch 19 - advance planet, shows only that switch closed, no other switches.

#17 8 years ago

Go through the switch matrix test that rob identified...remove the two connectors from the mpu for the row and column. Using a short jumper of wire and with the game in switch test, start jumpering pin one of the row to each pin of the column one at a time. The display should register one switch only. Follow along with the switch matrix chart in your manual. Then move to pin 2 of the row and again jumper to each column pin one at a time. Then pin 3 and so on. If more than one switch shows up during this test for each jumper combination then you have a board issue. If not then you have a shorted diode in the pf.

#18 8 years ago

Will do, Thanks

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Go through the switch matrix test that rob identified...remove the two connectors from the mpu for the row and column. Using a short jumper of wire and with the game in switch test, start jumpering pin one of the row to each pin of the column one at a time. The display should register one switch only. Follow along with the switch matrix chart in your manual. Then move to pin 2 of the row and again jumper to each column pin one at a time. Then pin 3 and so on. If more than one switch shows up during this test for each jumper combination then you have a board issue. If not then you have a shorted diode in the pf.

Okay, did that. Went thru all the combinations. All switches showed up as the matrix chart shows, no switches were out of place or doubled.

So does that mean I have a shorted diode on the playing field? Is there anyway to isolate, etc....

Thanks for everyone help!

#20 8 years ago

Yes it means the issue is in the playfield...so shorted diode likely.

#21 8 years ago

Anyway to isolate some switches?

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from DLsmith:

Anyway to isolate some switches?

Since the problem only happens when you close the switch that would indicate there is a short to ground between the switch and the diode (or possibly the column side of the diode). If the short was on the row side of the switch you would get a ground short error in switch test.

Since none of the other switches in that row cause a similar problem I would highly suspect the credit button as the problem. You should also check if any other switches in that column cause a similar problem with their row.

After that I would check all switches in that column, and then all of them. You're looking for a reversed/shorted diode, diode lead touching a lug on the switch, diode lead or lug touching ground, etc. The short always seems to be at a position where you can't see it so I just slightly arrange all leads for maximum clearance as I go through the switches.

#23 8 years ago

Removed the Credit Button switch from the cabinet. I examined it closely, nothing out of order. Diode tested .51, band is to the proper side, no wires touching.

PinBot has 53 switches. I can rule out the Credit Button. I also can rule out Switch 39,40,46 & 47. They have plugs, which I disconnected and the problem was still there. That leaves 48 switches to go.

I'm thinking about removing the ground from 3 switches at a time, and seeing if the problem still exist. Hoping to narrow down the possibilities.

I know it is not a good idea to upset things I have not touched on this machine. But I don't know if the problem was there or not when I purchased the machine. It had numerous issues when I got it. I have replaced/rebuilt coils, it had a diode reverse and I had to replace several transistors.

Any thoughts on my approach? Appreciate all comments...

#24 8 years ago

Narrowing down the problem is a reasonable approach. You can split the daisy-chain in half on the same row (or column) as the credit button. This would eliminate half of the switches, and then proceed based on the results.

It would take some re-wiring, but there is another approach: swap the rows and columns. You can't just swap the plugs, but would have to wire up an adapter cable. If you put the column lines on the rows and the row lines on the columns then none of the switches would work because of the blocking diode. You then go through and press every switch and if one indicates closed then that switch is your problem.

I don't want to speak out of school, but I'll PM someone who may have an adapter for sale that will do the above switching of rows and columns. I forgot the board is just for WPC at the moment.

Don't forget to check if any other switches in the same column cause that issue on other rows.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Narrowing down the problem is a reasonable approach. You can split the daisy-chain in half on the same row (or column) as the credit button. This would eliminate half of the switches, and then proceed based on the results.
It would take some re-wiring, but there is another approach: swap the rows and columns. You can't just swap the plugs, but would have to wire up an adapter cable. If you put the column lines on the rows and the row lines on the columns then none of the switches would work because of the blocking diode. You then go through and press every switch and if one indicates closed then that switch is your problem.
I don't want to speak out of school, but I'll PM someone who may have an adapter for sale that will do the above switching of rows and columns.
Don't forget to check if any other switches in the same column cause that issue on other rows.

I have not found any other switches in that column that causes the issue the credit button does.

Thanks for the input!

#26 8 years ago

In that case I would start narrowing down the problem as I described above.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from DLsmith:

Finishing up on my PinBot Machine. Just noticed that pressing Credit Button to add players gives point to Player 1.
Any Suggestions?
Thanks.

Or you can just make sure that you are always 'player 1'

#28 8 years ago

I'm kind of revisiting my thoughts on where your issue is. It's really not acting like a phantom switch closure issue so let's try some other things before tearing stuff apart (although everything still points at the credit button).

Test continuity from column 1 to ground (game off) and see what you get.

Quoted from DLsmith:

Okay, did that. Went thru all the combinations. All switches showed up as the matrix chart shows, no switches were out of place or doubled.

When you did this are you sure you waited long enough to see if additional switches would be listed?

Do you have a logic probe?

#29 8 years ago

Have continuity from pin 1 (IJ8) to ground (game off).

Maybe I didn't wait long enough to see if additional switches would show up.

Guess I need to retest.

#30 8 years ago

Went thru all the combinations again, switches 1-64. Waited 15+ seconds on each test. All tested fine.

#31 8 years ago

This may not be your issue, but I was getting phantom points on my xmen when I shot the ball. Turned out to be coming from the sling shots. The gap on one of the leaf switches was to small, and the vibration of the kicker caused points to be awarded.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from DLsmith:

Have continuity from pin 1 (IJ8) to ground (game off).

That's a problem. Disconnect IJ8 and test from the grn/brn wire to ground.

#33 8 years ago

Disconnected IJ8, tested green/brown wire to ground. Shows continuity. Checked several other wires in the connector, no continuity.

So I'm assuming on pin 1, I have a switch shorted to ground.

Is this a correct assumption?

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from DLsmith:

So I'm assuming on pin 1, I have a switch shorted to ground.
Is this a correct assumption?

Yes it is. Could be a pinched wire, but most of the time the diode lead or a lug on the switch is touching ground. Only 8 to check now.

#35 8 years ago

Beats looking at 53 switches.

#36 8 years ago

Check the Plumb Bob and Roll Tilts. They're grounded and metal and if the switch is grounded to the switch mount, then it makes its way through the plumb bracket or roll tilt to ground. I had a Getaway once where the switch was grounded to the habitrail. Everytime someone shook the machine, the PF bounced around enough that the habitrail grazed the hinge bolt on the side of the cabinet which was grounded. So from switch, through metal habitrail, to bolt head to ground. That was a fun one to find.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Check the Plumb Bob and Roll Tilts. They're grounded and metal and if the switch is grounded to the switch mount, then it makes its way through the plumb bracket or roll tilt to ground. I had a Getaway once where the switch was grounded to the habitrail. Everytime someone shook the machine, the PF bounced around enough that the habitrail grazed the hinge bolt on the side of the cabinet which was grounded. So from switch, through metal habitrail, to bolt head to ground. That was a fun one to find.

Will Do, Thanks.

#38 8 years ago

Finally found the problem. Someone had pinch the switch wire when the left coin chute was attached. Something so simple took so long to find.

Thanks to robertmee and terryb for instructing me thru it!

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from DLsmith:

Someone had pinch the switch wire when the left coin chute was attached. Something so simple took so long to find.

The fix is always simple, it's the troubleshooting that can be a bitch. Glad you got it working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pressing-credit-button-gives-points-to-player and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.