Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Juggernaut
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC06462.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

any tips on "saving" or preserving old backglass from flaking, cracking or fading any more than it already is? thanks in advance!

#2 12 years ago

do a search for Triple Thick. That is a product i have heard the most about. I have never sprayed a backglass before, allthough all mine were sprayed with it before me, havn't had any more problems since they were sprayer. I think there is a good video over at pinballhelp.com too.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from Juggernaut:

any tips on "saving" or preserving old backglass from flaking, cracking or fading any more than it already is? thanks in advance!

What mojo said! I have sprayed my HS to save it from flaking, but i made a mistake, i put blue painters tape on the score windows and when i removed the tape, some art lifted up around the edges, lesson learned- I will use business cards instead. I also put the triple thick heavy in some areas, but you cant tell from the front, but if i pull the glass and look at the back you can see the flaw. It's on and so far has held up and thats what counts. also changing to LED's will help preserve the BG as well. My HS had #47's in the BG and after a few hours of the machine on you can feel the warmth, now that I have put CT's Super Bright LED's after 3-4 hours with the machine on, the backglass is cool to the touch. Cointaker's Super brights are by far the best LED you could use in the backbox, it dont have that direct beam of light, it has a very even spread of light and you will forget there LED's back there. Krylon Triple Thick is what you need and make sure you get the crystal clear kind.

#4 12 years ago

I have also switched over to LED's... (Sadly).. Not that there is anything bad about them.. the oldschool 44/47's behind the glass had such a nice warm glow to the light.. led's are cold and harsh.. I have also switched over to LED's under all playfield inserts... the playfield it's self, I still gotta use 47s..

GOOD tip on the masking tape!

#5 12 years ago

If the back glass paint is already flaking bad, triple thick will not help - IME. It will actually cause some more flaking due to the clear coat disturbing the paint. I'm guessing in these cases a mask of some type to protect those areas while clearing the rest. For really bad flaking I'd be interested in methods to repair or preserve. Most I've seen are usually touched up/repainted.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from Melbourne:

If the back glass paint is already flaking bad, triple thick will not help - IME. It will actually cause some more flaking due to the clear coat disturbing the paint. I'm guessing in these cases a mask of some type to protect those areas while clearing the rest. For really bad flaking I'd be interested in methods to repair or preserve. Most I've seen are usually touched up/repainted.

Well after 4 years after the triple thick applied still is holding up. #1 killer on a BG is moisture.

#7 12 years ago

question on the triple thick.. do you mask/block off anything other than the score windows?

#8 12 years ago

Ive done the triple thick and then saran wrap to flatten flaking paint, It works for what its worth but id suspect that if you want to do a full restore you would scrape and repaint the flaking area. Id love for Phoebe to weigh in. Her work is just f*&%ing excellent

Jeff

#10 12 years ago

Any help reclarifying or further explaining about how to deal w/ large flaking pieces that have not quite fallen off yet would be very helpful. Much of my Xenon backglass is excellent, but the middle area (eyes/face) needs help desparately. It's like I need to somehow get these large pieces to lay flat without worsening the problem, and then spray/seal it somehow. Thanks in advance.

#11 12 years ago

My project will be interesting... Large clear area right next to a bad flaking area...

DSC06462.JPGDSC06462.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/preserving-old-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.