Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by seshpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I figured that, now that my game is just about all together, I would give ya'll a late Xmas present.

If you're a TZ owner, you know that in 9.4H, Ted introduced the 'Magnet Grab', where starting MB from the ramp would launch balls to be held/grabbed by the magnets, and all released at once.

Originally, Ted had worked on trying to get the game to eject balls from the Lock area, and 'toss' them around. He never released the code, however, since he said he had too many problems getting it working right - speed and power of the magnets, weak lock kickout, etc.

While beta-testing 9.4 for him over ten years ago, I found a little loop in the code, which caused the game to attempt to do the magnet toss and grab. (No, the bit of code was removed *completely* in the final revision of 9.4 to make room for some other new features.. so while I could tell you how to do it, you won't see anything.)

I figured, because I like having record of this, I'd record a video and post it..

This game is NOT running any replacement system (FAST, P-ROC, etc).. it's all Ted's code here doing this. It's also short, just showing the catch and toss part.

Enjoy!
Mike

#2 3 years ago

Very cool! Curious as to what the toss success rate is as a percentage?

#3 3 years ago

Pretty cool!!!!

#4 3 years ago

Too bad he couldn't get that into the code. I have played a TZ with his code and it it's to bad that the magnets are only used if you start multiball certain way. This is way cooler!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Very cool! Curious as to what the toss success rate is as a percentage?

Before I rebuilt my game, it was pretty successful - at least a 90% success rate.

Now, likely due to leveling being off slightly, different (weaker, perhaps?) magnet, and slightly different location of the opto, it's about only 20% successful, surprisingly.

It WAS lower than that - I had to remove the small mylar patch over the magnet core and playfield edge - with that on, I was lucky to get a 5% success rate. So yeah, it's *very* picky. The most common issue is the lower right magnet not giving the ball enough oomph - if the ball does not lock onto the left magnet soon enough, it won't stop the *second* ball on the upper right magnet and it'll either go around or drop back down as the third ball's ejected.

What I'd *love* is to find the bit of code that does this, and see if there's a way to hack it back into 9.4H.. but hell, I can't even get my PinMame into debug mode, much less find the code that's doing this..!

#6 3 years ago

So is that in other versions of the game code?

#7 3 years ago

If someone could get this to work the third magnet would be more of a center piece than a after though.

#8 3 years ago

Do I need to install a 3rd magnet or change settings to make this work?

#9 3 years ago

Damn that's cool!

#10 3 years ago

that's sweet

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

So is that in other versions of the game code?

I didn't do the code, so I'm saying this based on what I know of things, and reasonable deduction:
The code lilely didn't exist in earlier versions - when Ted added the 'magnet grab' code for 9.4H, be brought over the whole set of code, which included the toss part, videoed above. There was a race condition (a set of very specific events) that have to occur for the toss to take effect. There's no way that the race condition could happen during actual gameplay - and once I found it, I informed Ted of it, and he took this part of the code out for the 9.4H release.

Quoted from scampcamp:

Do I need to install a 3rd magnet or change settings to make this work?

Adding the 3rd magnet will only give you the 'grab' part:
Starting Multiball with 0 or 1 balls in the lock, and 2 or 3 in the trough.
At the start - where in my video balls are being ejected out of the lock and tossed around - the autofire launcher will shoot the balls up to be caught on the left, upper right magnet. (And then the third ball will be either caught out of the lock, or also fired form the autofire launcher.)

#13 3 years ago

Could someone maybe provide a video of the grab-but-no-toss version of multiball start with three magnets? I had a normal production two-magnet Twilight Zone, and I've always known about the three-magnet tricks, but I've never seen them in action.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from mot:

Could someone maybe provide a video of the grab-but-no-toss version of multiball start with three magnets? I had a normal production two-magnet Twilight Zone, and I've always known about the three-magnet tricks, but I've never seen them in action.

I can get one tonight, no problem... I thought everyone had seen that, since it's been around for years now.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I can get one tonight, no problem... I thought everyone had seen that, since it's been around for years now.

I've avoided it because I don't want to be jealous.

#16 3 years ago

very cool. I like this!!

#17 3 years ago

MOT if you're tz didn't have the third mag when you bought it. It's not worth the time and effort to install it. I have a sample machine and 9 times out of ten when I'm playing it you won't see it go into effect.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

MOT if you're tz didn't have the third mag when you bought it. It's not worth the time and effort to install it. I have a sample machine and 9 times out of ten when I'm playing it you won't see it go into effect.

Yeah - the only other time it's ever used is during "The Spiral" mode.. (Well, and ball searches..)

#19 3 years ago

Very cool effect, too bad the ball toss was not able to remain in the code. Didn't realize the third magnet was used for Spiral, but now that you mention it...

#20 3 years ago

I've owned Tz sample for bout a year and seen this happen 1 time but it's awesome lol and yes it has factory 3 magnets.

#21 3 years ago

Ok... I have the 9.4CH ROM & 3 magnets... so will this work on my TZ? Thanks

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Only the catch will.

Pre-requisites are - since the last bootup/power on (including exiting service menu), the game must have seen the powerball loaded into the gumball machine, and that the option "MB Magnet Grab" is set to on.

Then start multiball with zero or one ball in lock. (I.e. Light lock, shoot ball into lock, and shoot second ball up ramp to start multiball.)

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

When I got my game I had to install the missing components on the magnet driver board.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

When I got my game I had to install the missing components on the magnet driver board.

Oh, yeah - I'm assuming that you must also have the switch opto wired in and operations, as well as the driver circuit on the 8 high-power board.

#25 3 years ago

Coolest multiball start ever.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 999.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 78.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
£ 58.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 5.00
Machine - For Sale
Madison, AL
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 209.00
$ 399.95
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New York City, NEW YORK
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Machine - For Sale
Kinnelon, NJ
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside