Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Han-Solo-Soldering-Gun.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hey guys, new member here. I'm looking to get my wife a machine for our 5 year anniversary and looking for some ideas where/what to get. Looking to keep the spending under $3000 if possible, but I'm having some issues finding something in my area (Central Ohio). She likes machines with some technical challenge, probably something a little more modern. Some games that I know she'd love that would be out of the question are:

STTNG
    Twilight Zone
    Terminator 2
    Simpsons
    Bram Stokers Dracula

Trying to get some ideas. This will be our first pinball as well. I'm pretty technically inclined, and have worked with electronics in the past, but would like to get something that is easier to maintain.

#2 8 years ago

You should be able to get a T2 shipped for under 3k. Gwaxt72 has a Demolition Man for $1650. He's a great seller. Shipping would probably be less than $400. That would be an excellent first machine!

#3 8 years ago

Easier to maintain? Only T2.

#4 8 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!

Why is Terminator 2 out of the question?

Some great ideas for a first pinball that are in your price range are things like Who Dunnit?, Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Stargate, and Starship Troopers.

It's really a subjective thing though. What games do you two enjoy playing?

#5 8 years ago

at 3k some of these might be out of range , if you can find a twilight zone for 3k and is fixable grab it first

#6 8 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/25185

PM and ask for pictures before it's gone!

#7 8 years ago

$3k will buy almost any pinball machine. A lot of budget recommendations are for games within a $2k or $1500 budget which would cut you off from more of the top tier "B" titles.

Your budget only cuts off the really top end expensive games, and even then there are plenty of games within that on the top 50 here (Road Show, HS2, Dracula, Funhouse, Shadow, NGG, WW, RFM, WCS...).

#8 8 years ago

WOW guys! thanks so much for the quick feedback. I sent a PM about the demo man. Any feedback on game play?

We always enjoyed playing T2, Adams Family ($$$), Simpsons and STTNG together.

#9 8 years ago

Love rocky and bullwinkle and its family friendly. Also hook and 24 are fun games. Stargate if she's a sci fi fan. All fun machines that are under $3000.

#10 8 years ago

yeah you could find a BSD or T2 for in or below that price range the others good luck

#11 8 years ago

This reminds me of the time Homer bought Marge a bowling ball.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Now we're on the same page.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from benman:

WOW guys! thanks so much for the quick feedback. I sent a PM about the demo man. Any feedback on game play?
    We always enjoyed playing T2, Adams Family ($$$), Simpsons and STTNG together.

My wife absolutely loves our T-2! Will be here for awhile...

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

"Bowl damn you"

#15 8 years ago

Demo Man vs. T2 thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-vs-t2

It has nice speed/flow, and good skill challenge. Thumbs up!

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from benman:

Check the reviews on Pinside. There will also be a bunch of discussion about Demo Man if you search for threads on the best games under $2000 or best budget games, etc. The only reason it's cheap is because the theme/art are pretty bad and they made a ton of them, not because of gameplay.

#17 8 years ago

While BSD is a great game, from a "keep it working right" point of view, I would hold off until you have a few games under your belt. Mist multiball is kind of a maintenance bitch.

#18 8 years ago

I may be about to pull the trigger on a DM as well. Never played it but looks like a ton of fun, which is what its all about!

#19 8 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking right now about the demolition man that Gwaxt72 is selling. I sent him a message and ask for some pictures.

Since I'm new to all this how does shipping usually work?

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from benman:

Since I'm new to all this how does shipping usually work?

Have it put in a steel crate and there is a good chance it will arrive intact.

#21 8 years ago

I ship using Michelle at STI. Just send her an email: [email protected]

Gwaaxt72 knows the routine.

I've had over a dozen machines shipped, no problems. Other have had lots of problems, though, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

#22 8 years ago

They pick it up, wrap it in blankets and plastic-wrap, and deliver it to your house. Costs a few hundred bucks, but try to think of it as money you'd throw at eating out or entertainment.

Also, with that Demo Man you will need to clean the playfield and put new rubbers on it. That's part of why the price is so good. That can be a great way to start getting a feel for maintenance without being overwhelmed. It'll be good bonding time

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from iron00monkey:

Also, with that Demo Man you will need to clean the playfield and put new rubbers on it. That's part of why the price is so good. That can be a great way to start getting a feel for maintenance without being overwhelmed. It'll be good bonding time

Thanks for the info. Yeah that actually sounds like something I will enjoy doing

#24 8 years ago

Be careful , I bought our first pin for an anniversary present for my wife and now the basement is full of them. She loves Pinball and helped fuel the craze.

#25 8 years ago

I don't think I'd lose any sleep over having that many machines, but I think my wallet would cry some crocodile tears lol

#26 8 years ago

If you don't blow your whole budget, you can start building up the dough for a second machine before the end of the year

#27 8 years ago

In case that demolition man isn't available anymore does anyone have any other reputable sellers near Ohio with a good starter game for sale?

#28 8 years ago

Check the pinsider map, and find some of the active people in OH. Lots of good people around you.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from benman:

In case that Demolition Man isn't available anymore does anyone have any other reputable sellers near Ohio with a good starter game for sale?

I'll have several for sale next week.

#30 8 years ago

Snagged the Demo Man from Rob. Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm pretty sure I have screwed myself and will be buying more machines in the future

#31 8 years ago

Man, you went from "What's a reasonable pinball machine to buy" to locking in a deal in 2 hours, you work quickly.

Also that DM looks like a killer deal.

#32 8 years ago

Just makes sure your wife truly loves pinball. A wedding anniversary is nothing to mess around with.

#33 8 years ago

You've got a couple big pinball shows coming up very soon in your part of the country. I'd take her to one and play the hell out of everything. Then you'll know what you like and don't like. You might even pick up a pin while there. I'm sure this transaction will be fine, but it's always preferable to see it in person before handing over the cash. Also nice to avoid shipping fees for that matter.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

#34 8 years ago

Rob is a good guy. I bought my first machine from a turd. Be happy that you won't feel ripped off!

PM me if you need any help
    - Scott

#35 8 years ago

Thanks guys. Yeah our anniversary is in a couple weeks so had to work fast. Pretty sure she'll cry when she sees it lol. She loves pinball. Iron I might take you up on that. Going to try my hand at cleaning it up and doing led.

#36 8 years ago

Any advice on shopping and adding LEDs on a DM?

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from benman:

Any advice on shopping and adding LEDs on a DM?

Get Comet Pinball Leds. www.cometpinball.com also take a look at the manual here:
    http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/662/Williams_1994_Demolition_Man_Operations_Manual_English_OCR_searchable.pdf Page #99 it tells you the location of the lamp and the type. The only thing you would have to do is find a video or image to let you know which color to use.

or you can go the easy route and buy a premade kit from pinballbulbs.com or cointaker.com

#38 8 years ago

Thanks Flash

#39 8 years ago

Congrats on your purchase. DM was my first machine too and now I have 5. That was less than a year ago!

Anyway, I think you'll love the game. I suspect it will need some work to be shiny and clean, but you got a really good deal on it.

I will warn you that DM is freakin' heavy, so have some friends available to help with the move depending on where it's going to go in the house.

#40 8 years ago

Is this like when Homer bought Marge a bowling ball for their anniversary?

#41 8 years ago

Chomping at the bit here Can't wait to get this bad boy!

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I suspect it will need some work to be shiny and clean, but you got a really good deal on it.

I'd definitely include a nice gift basket with a can of naptha, some Novus 2, a good carnauba wax, and some microfiber cloths. Maybe put a few bows on the items.

#43 8 years ago

You may be joking, but my husband did make me a little pinball care kit as a present once we got our first pin as an anniversary present to ourselves. Bright pink tote box with cleaner, teeny tool kit, solder iron, eventually added in some LEDs, etc. I still use it, even though now it gets stored inside my huge purple storage chest that houses all the other pinball supply stuff we've accumulated over 3 years. If she's going to be helping maintain/clean/LED/work on them, it's actually an awesome gift.

(Then again I play/work on the machines more than he does, so I may be a little more involved than the average wife. I've also got my own power tools, riding mower, etc. )

#44 8 years ago

New thread title - Present for the self.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Then again I play/work on the machines more than he does, so I may be a little more involved than the average wife. I've also got my own power tools, riding mower, etc.

Wow, I thought unicorns, Bigfoot and wives like you were only mythical creatures. Your husband is one lucky guy.

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Wow, I thought unicorns, Bigfoot and wives like you were only mythical creatures. Your husband is one lucky guy.

This is her soldering gun
    Han-Solo-Soldering-Gun.jpgHan-Solo-Soldering-Gun.jpg

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

This is her soldering gun
    Han-Solo-Soldering-Gun.jpg

lol does that soldering gun have a scope?

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

lol does that soldering gun have a scope?

No. She solders with a blast shield helmet on, so that is just for looks.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

You may be joking

I'm definitely joking, but I hope we can all appreciate the humor of a gift basket full of such items. Though certainly useful to me, I'd still think it was funny if my wife gave me something like that, especially if little bows were attached

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/present-for-the-wife and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.