20210214_143254 (resized).jpg
20210214_143305 (resized).jpg
20210214_143250 (resized).jpg
20210214_143224 (resized).jpg
Funhouse-Service-01-10223.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
406da750e0d75dc9aa5c18b192d0cc0c4c39853f (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Im starting to gather parts for a complete restoration of a funhouse...looking for suggestions on any parts/tips that will make this the best resto Ive ever done.
My plan so far:
New head, but I think the cab is still solid
Mirrored backglass
New set of ramps from starship
Pinscore display
New plastics, posts, fasteners, sleeves etc for playfield
New cab decals, screen backbox warning
Sending boards to Chris Hibler for service
Sending Rudy to Modfather for paint
Sending playfield to Neo for touch up and clear
New hinges, side rails, lockdown bar and legs
Restore original coin door
Yellow/red shooter rods from Modfather (credit to @wackybrakke)
New trap door
Leds with OCD boards
New speakers
Flipper rebuilds
Clean, tumble, polish mechs
Wash harnesses
New lamp sockets
New switches

I was going to install a Mirco replacement playfield (used one on my TOM resto and it was great with no issues) but after reading a few pinsiders stating that there is an issue with the shooter lane that causes the ball to rattle around and not shoot properly.

What are the must have items or ideas that I have missed... im not really keen on a bunch of non-stock mods, but am keeping an open mind in case I find something really interesting or cool.

Im considering chrome for siderails, lock down bar and head hinges,,,I dont think there is a powder color that looks good on Funhouse (unless someone can show me some pics of their choices)

Thanks

406da750e0d75dc9aa5c18b192d0cc0c4c39853f (resized).jpg406da750e0d75dc9aa5c18b192d0cc0c4c39853f (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

I'd pick up rudy parts and replace them while it's apart. Sector gear, eye links, etc.

#3 3 years ago

Scoop protectors from Mantis. (Also has scoop replacements if yours is busted up)

Ramp protectors from Cliffy.

Disc assembly (hidden hallway kickout) (PPS or Marco)

Plunger assemblies for Rudy's eyes (Marco)

Full set of new stand up targets

Bunch of other small stuff that adds up real quick.

#4 3 years ago

definitely go with chrome on wireforms, rails, and legs!

also, you are going to need about 2000 hours of spare time

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Scoop protectors from Mantis. (Also has scoop replacements if yours is busted up)
Ramp protectors from Cliffy.
Disc assembly (hidden hallway kickout) (PPS or Marco)
Plunger assemblies for Rudy's eyes (Marco)
Full set of new stand up targets
Bunch of other small stuff that adds up real quick.

The game came with a envelope from cliffy, I havent looked to see if its ramp protectors or for holes but will make sure I get ramp protection if its not there....
I meant to include targets in my original post, but thanks for the tips on the rest...

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

definitely go with chrome on wireforms, rails, and legs!
also, you are going to need about 2000 hours of spare time

Broke a rib a few days ago...nothing but spare time right now but cant do any work (real or pinball)...luckily I can still play Roadshow without too much discomfort...

#7 3 years ago

maybe you can do miracles with this one ! too soon ! sorry !

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

maybe you can do miracles with this one ! too soon ! sorry !
[quoted image]

Aside from getting the replacement parts, im sure I could put that back together in a few days...Ive done some that were worse... that story of the moving company makes me sick

#9 3 years ago

I know , I cringed when i saw the pictures ,

#10 3 years ago

Please post a restore thread when you start, your work has always been top-notch.
The only mod that might be worth looking at is the lampshade from the mod couple.
Also, don't forget about this part from Marco 01-10223 for the trap door:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-10223
Here's the service bulletin for reference...
Funhouse-Service-01-10223.jpgFunhouse-Service-01-10223.jpg

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

Please post a restore thread when you start, your work has always been top-notch.
The only mod that might be worth looking at is the lampshade from the mod couple.
[quoted image]

Nice call ! The trap door stop is rarely mentioned and always overlooked.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I'd pick up rudy parts and replace them while it's apart. Sector gear, eye links, etc.

Quoted from BR80:

[quoted image]

This is EXACTLY what Im looking for...thanks

#13 3 years ago

Has anyone used the starship replacement ramps on this title? I used then in my TOM with no issues but read in another thread that the steps ramp may be 1/4" too short at the flap...

#14 3 years ago

The shooter rattle is usually people putting a small rubber on a mini post that should not be there.
Buy new pf if u still can.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Has anyone used the starship replacement ramps on this title? I used then in my TOM with no issues but read in another thread that the steps ramp may be 1/4" too short at the flap...

I recently did a full restore (entire cab, decals, older Mirco and had Kruzman clear it, and just about everything new) and was my first one and got the full ramp kit from Larry and Starship and didn’t have any issues even with them being thicker. Only slight hiccup was one of the blued ramp flaps had a few rust spots which he sent a replacement right away, but had to re-rivet them which I had to do for all the plastics (CPR) and metal guides since when I refinished\sanded them the brass showed through and OCD wouldn’t allow that LOL. Keep in mind, if you get the switch cover with the decal he supplies, it’s quite a bit lighter shade of orange compared to what was on my sample machine, so I just cleaned mine and used the original. He said that was only what he was allowed to reproduce when I asked about it. I tried contacting PPS to ask if the ones they sell were darker orange but didn’t get a confirmation.

Happy to help with any other lessons learned and anything else as I probably already went into too much detail but feel free to reach out, but I am by far no expert but did learn a lot and special thanks to all the helpful people on Pinsider, ESPECIALLY Bryan Kelly.

Excited to see the process if you decide to document everything.

Hope this helps. And stay safe.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:I recently did a full restore (entire cab, decals, older Mirco and had Kruzman clear it, and just about everything new) and was my first one and got the full ramp kit from Larry and Starship and didn’t have any issues even with them being thicker. Only slight hiccup was one of the blued ramp flaps had a few rust spots which he sent a replacement right away, but had to re-rivet them which I had to do for all the plastics (CPR) and metal guides since when I refinished\sanded them the brass showed through and OCD wouldn’t allow that LOL. Keep in mind, if you get the switch cover with the decal he supplies, it’s quite a bit lighter shade of orange compared to what was on my sample machine, so I just cleaned mine and used the original. He said that was only what he was allowed to reproduce when I asked about it. I tried contacting PPS to ask if the ones they sell were darker orange but didn’t get a confirmation.
Happy to help with any other lessons learned and anything else as I probably already went into too much detail but feel free to reach out, but I am by far no expert but did learn a lot and special thanks to all the helpful people on Pinsider, ESPECIALLY Bryan Kelly.
Excited to see the process if you decide to document everything.
Hope this helps. And stay safe.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer and may PM you in the future with any questions.
I will begin to document the project once I get started.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

[quoted image]

stop bracket here:

#19 3 years ago

Heres a list of parts ordered so far:

Ramps
Mirrored backglass
Sys 11 backglass trim kit
"Deluxe" plastic set
Pinscore display
Backbox lock
H-channel
C-channel
Lockdown bar
Side rails
Backbox hinges
Legs
Levelers
Leg bolts
Cab decals
Coin door reject buttons (clear)
Flipper bats
Rubber kit
Sleeve kit
Pop bodies
Pop skirts
Pop bases and spring
Pop lamp sockets
All stand ups
25 cherry microswitches
Both eyelid plungers
Sector gear
14 and 56 tooth gear
Centering flange
Nylon bearings
Jaw link
Barrel springs
Shooter springs
Colored bulb condoms
Trap door assembly
Trap door decal
Flipper rebuild kit
Opto boards
Disc assembly
Apron decal set
Cable clamps (1", 3/4",1/2",1/4")
Backbox latch and bracket
Flipper buttons
Misc broken posts/screws

And I still need to order:

LEDs
OCD LED boards
Playfield glass
Trap door stop
Red and yellow shooter rods
Shooter housings
Speakers
Star posts
Speaker panel

Whats missing from my list?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

I would say that for home use games there is no need for scoop protectors and they severely screw with this game and cause rejects.
Mine was routed and the mirror scoop and out scoop have no wear on the edges.

The only spot that definitely needs some 'extra' mylar is the about 1-2" of the out side scoop where the ball lands and generally wears a hole in the art.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Heres a list of parts ordered so far:
Ramps
Mirrored backglass
Sys 11 backglass trim kit
"Deluxe" plastic set
Pinscore display
Backbox lock
H-channel
C-channel
Lockdown bar
Side rails
Backbox hinges
Legs
Levelers
Leg bolts
Cab decals
Coin door reject buttons (clear)
Flipper bats
Rubber kit
Sleeve kit
Pop bodies
Pop skirts
Pop bases and spring
Pop lamp sockets
All stand ups
25 cherry microswitches
Both eyelid plungers
Sector gear
14 and 56 tooth gear
Centering flange
Nylon bearings
Jaw link
Barrel springs
Shooter springs
Colored bulb condoms
Trap door assembly
Trap door decal
Flipper rebuild kit
Opto boards
Disc assembly
Apron decal set
Cable clamps (1", 3/4",1/2",1/4")
Backbox latch and bracket
Flipper buttons
Misc broken posts/screws
And I still need to order:
LEDs
OCD LED boards
Playfield glass
Trap door stop
Red and yellow shooter rods
Shooter housings
Speakers
Star posts
Whats missing from my list?

Thats pretty much what I did:

Reese rails and

Definitely get the mantis scoop/loop and mirror bracket.

On mine, I bought the pinsound and the pinsound shaker system.
Adding the shaker really modernizes the game.

Pinball Pro or Flipper fidelity speakers.

I bought Pinball pro this time, but will dp with Flipper fidelity in the future.

They cost only slightly more but have a more refined installation and instructions.

#22 3 years ago

I love these types of threads. It's great to see you back on Pinside @cosmokramer.

When you disappeared from Pinside on Valentines day last year I got a little worried

#23 3 years ago

Athens95 reproduces all the decals inside cabinet and backbox. Even makes new serial number stickers based on your originals. Must have if going this far.

#24 3 years ago

if you bought your apron decals from PPS..........note that there is no shooter gage decal included.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I would say that for home use games there is no need for scoop protectors and they severely screw with this game and cause rejects.
Mine was routed and the mirror scoop and out scoop have no wear on the edges.
The only spot that definitely needs some 'extra' mylar is the about 1-2" of the out side scoop where the ball lands and generally wears a hole in the art.

I tend to agree with this, the base game came with cliffys for the ramps and hole protectors (not installed) Im going to use the ramp protection, but just going to hold onto the holes and not install them unless needed

Quoted from pinballinreno:

Thats pretty much what I did:
Reese rails and
Definitely get the mantis scoop/loop and mirror bracket.
On mine, I bought the pinsound and the pinsound shaker system.
Adding the shaker really modernizes the game.
Pinball Pro or Flipper fidelity speakers.
I bought Pinball pro this time, but will dp with Flipper fidelity in the future.
They cost only slightly more but have a more refined installation and instructions.

I will be cutting my own oak rails, I believe Reese is closed for a few months.
If my original scoop is good, is there a reason to replace with a mantis? Is there an advantage in their design?
I will take a look at the mirror bracket
Pinsound and shaker is something I had been considering, however Im reaching the end of a reasonable budget and stretching into crazy money already so it may have to wait.
My plan was to replace the stock speaker with something comparable and rely on a powered subwoofer to enhance it...do the Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro setups make a noticable difference when being powered by the stock sound amp, or should I use those only if I plan to run pinsound?

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I love these types of threads. It's great to see you back on Pinside cosmokramer.
When you disappeared from Pinside on Valentines day last year I got a little worried

Thanks, it looks like your avater may have evolved a bit while I was gone...

Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Athens95 reproduces all the decals inside cabinet and backbox. Even makes new serial number stickers based on your originals. Must have if going this far.

Thats a good point that I didnt put in my list of goals...Luckily MagicSmoke lives a few miles from me and has printed all the decals and serial #s for my last few restorations

Quoted from zerbam:

if you bought your apron decals from PPS..........note that there is no shooter gage decal included.

Fortunately the original shooter lane cover has no flaws in the base paint or art so it will clean up nicely

#26 3 years ago

I need a replacement speaker panel, the original is scratched and dull from someone using a chemical to clean it.
Looks like I have 3 choice
1) classic arcade on ebay for $75
The description makes it sound great, but their reputation for quality sucks
2) Little shop of games $90
No real description of process used to make
3) Marcos $140

Anybody have any experience with these?

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I need a replacement speaker panel, the original is scratched and dull from someone using a chemical to clean it.
3) Marcos $140

I have one from Little shop of games. It's screen printed, very nice, vivid colors. I can send pictures tomorrow if needed.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

I have one from Little shop of games. It's screen printed, very nice, vivid colors. I can send pictures tomorrow if needed.

No pics needed. I know what kind of work you do on your own projects and mods. Your recommendation is good enough for me.
Thank you

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

3) Marcos $140

I recently bought a classic arcades speaker panel, its nice and indistinguishable from the original that I compared it to.

My original has some scratches and registration errors, so its a no brainer to replace it.

So, its seems ok.

The manits scoop/loop is thicker material and welded in several places.
Its stronger and more robust, definitely an upgrade.

Im very happy with the pinball pro speaker kits I bought. It sounds really good with the stock sound card.

Im upgrading to the pinsound as well as LEDOCD and GIOCD. The pinsound is to control the audio somewhat, but really for the shaker.

Its hard to justify the cost, but on the super high end resto that I have going, its kinda a must.

I have installed 2smd frosted sunlight on everything and couldnt be happier.

5smd tower flashers for the #906 bulbs and #455 slow blinkers as well as pinled display rounds out my total LED conversion.

The game looks amazing.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

No pics needed. I know what kind of work you do on your own projects and mods. Your recommendation is good enough for me.
Thank you

That's a high level of confidence, thanks
Can't resist to share pictures.

20210214_143224 (resized).jpg20210214_143224 (resized).jpg20210214_143250 (resized).jpg20210214_143250 (resized).jpg20210214_143254 (resized).jpg20210214_143254 (resized).jpg20210214_143305 (resized).jpg20210214_143305 (resized).jpg20210214_143426 (resized).jpg20210214_143426 (resized).jpg
#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

That's a high level of confidence, thanks
Can't resist to share pictures.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah that looks great, thanks

Ordered:
Speaker panel
Mod couple funhouse lampshade
More broken fastners
Clear starposts

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:Yeah that looks great, thanks
Ordered:
Speaker panel
Mod couple funhouse lampshade
More broken fastners
Clear starposts

Don't forget, some of those starposts are for double rubbers.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Don't forget, some of those starposts are for double rubbers.

Got it...

Anybody have a color list of leds for inserts? My playfield is not here and I didnt count inserts before it shipped out...Im planing on color matching all inserts except yellow, those seem to look better lit with white.

I also really need to make a decision on speakers...not sure if I will do pinball pro or FF, or just put in nice speakers comparable to the stock ones and rely on a powered sub like I have done in the past...
Im prepping to assemble the cab now and need to cut speaker hole for 6" or 8" speaker, depending on which way I go...

#34 3 years ago

The lighted LED pop light rings from your favorite vendor really lend well to this title.

I wish I had the full lamp list for you. It’s not too many actually.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Got it...
Anybody have a color list of leds for inserts? My playfield is not here and I didnt count inserts before it shipped out...Im planing on color matching all inserts except yellow, those seem to look better lit with white.
I also really need to make a decision on speakers...not sure if I will do pinball pro or FF, or just put in nice speakers comparable to the stock ones and rely on a powered sub like I have done in the past...
Im prepping to assemble the cab now and need to cut speaker hole for 6" or 8" speaker, depending on which way I go...

I put in the pinball pro speakers, they sound great. The stock sound card bass really benefits from the larger sub speaker. I have the bass turned all the way down on the speaker and its just about right.

Cutting a biggger hole for it may not be necessary as the sound files are not that clean in the first place.

I added colored LED's but reverted to frosted sunlight for everything. I thought it was too much color in my opinion and cast a brown haze on the playfield colors.

I added plain translucent pop bumper bodies from Zitt and 7 LED dual sided pop bumper disc lights.
It really works well, but you can color match those if you want.

Right now Im trying to source Funhouse stickers for the pop bumper caps, everyone seems to be out of them.

I dont really like the originals and would think that there were ones with less clear backing on them.

4 weeks later
#36 3 years ago

LEDs arrived (went with frosted sunlight for GI and clear sunlight for inserts)..have not ordered ocd boards yet.
Got rudy and shooter rods back from modfather
Still have not made a decision on speaker set up yet...
Just about ready to get started, I will start a restoration thread soon...

1 week later
#37 3 years ago

Sorry if off topic but this trap door protector was mentiuoned above. Can anyone point me to how to install this-

Marco 01-10223 for the trap door:

#38 3 years ago

williams funhouse service bulliten

funhouse trap door service bulletin (resized).jpgfunhouse trap door service bulletin (resized).jpg
#39 3 years ago

I put an LED lighting system behind the backglass made by Arcade Upkeep that does a bunch of sequences to light up the FUNHOUSE letters. http://www.arcadeupkeep.com/shop/4594679907/funhouse-m3-backglass-title-mod/11396061 but looks like they are out of stock, so maybe check if they are going to do another run. It definitely makes the game pop in an unexpected way.

20210329_180904 (resized).jpg20210329_180904 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prepping-for-a-funhouse-restorationwhat-are-the-must-haves and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.