(Topic ID: 286990)

Preparing To Buy 1st Pinball - Have Questions & Need Advice Please!

By jvivlemore

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-bad-news-bears (resized).jpg

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Play as many top titles as you can. Reiterating what many have already said. The games you picked aren't the most desirable. A lotta people consider theme..which..i think by reading your post is a driver. But there's also rule set to consider - how deep a game is, objectives, modes, etc. Some of the games you have listed dont have very deep rule sets, but are good themes. There's also games some like others dont. For example - the new Stern Starwars. Very polarizing game. I personally hate it, but others love it. Not sure how many of those on your list you've played recently, but it may be worth while to narrow it down to say 2 or 3 games, and see if any friendly pinsiders that own one are close by.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Don't call a pinball machine a table.

this... for sure... thank you in advance.

also, please don't use the term "shooter" ... another peeve... guns shoot. pinball machines play well.

other than that, get ready to strap in and hang on, the 1st one is only the beginning of the addiction.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

With 4 kids I'd track down a world cup soccer. Fun for new and skilled players, family friendly, and usually a good price point.

Just did this very thing this weekend for a first time pin owner friend of mine. His family loves the game, and this kids have already had their friends over to show it off and play. It's been a 100% hit with everyone so far. Also, I went with him as a knowledgeable third party (I asked about key things to look for in the WCS owners thread) to test/evaluate the game, and I told him what I thought his top offer should be. I even helped him pick it up and got it installed and leveled for him. Now working on helping him decide LED and ring replacement, along with a few other things.

#54 3 years ago

Anything but Star Wars Ep1?

Its not even a pin really, its a one shot watch the display and go ooh look Star Wars stuff kinda thing.

#55 3 years ago

Thanks for all of the incredible feedback and recommendations. I really appreciate it.

I talked to a friend this morning who I haven't talked too in a while. He manages a Family Entertainment Center and they are looking to sell a pin soon ... "The Walking Dead" for $3K. It's above my budget currently but it's not public yet so I could potentially have enough by the time he's ready to sell.

Anyone have feedback or reviews on this one and thoughts on the price?

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

This seller here : https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/imyaboo2/market
is not too far from you and has 3 games currently for sale that all look to be in nice shape at around your budget price.
All 3 of those titles are fun (though it has been a long time since I played the D&D one). If I had room for it, I would be pursuing the D&D machine myself.
Note that I DO NOT know this seller, nor have I had any contact with him, so I cannot vouch for his worthiness. But since he has 3 machines, it might be worth investigating.

I know him. It is Brandon Jones. 100% trusted seller. No worries with him.

#57 3 years ago

Buy that pin now. You have hit the lottery

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

Thanks for all of the incredible feedback and recommendations. I really appreciate it.
I talked to a friend this morning who I haven't talked too in a while. He manages an Family Entertainment Center and they are looking to sell a pin they have in their center. It's "The Walking Dead" for $3K. I haven't researched this one yet and it's above my budget right now but it's not public yet so I can save a bit more if it's "the one". Anyone have feedback or reviews on this one and thoughts on the price?

Uh, at 3K for a working TWD I would leave Cleveland right now and pick it up if that helps...

Not at all a family friendly game though...

If you pass and send it my way I've got a $500 finders fee in it for you...

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

I talked to a friend this morning who I haven't talked too in a while. He manages a Family Entertainment Center and they are looking to sell a pin soon ... "The Walking Dead" for $3K. It's above my budget currently but it's not public yet so I could potentially have enough by the time he's ready to sell.

3k?????? Buy it IMMEDIATELY!
Thats a steal!!!

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

3k?????? Buy it IMMEDIATELY!
Thats a steal!!!

What's it worth?

#61 3 years ago

3K!?

BUY BUY BUY

#62 3 years ago

It's worth getting.

#63 3 years ago

I am assuming it is a pro model and has been routed, but it should be around 4500. If it is a premium, its worth 6500. Either pin in very nice condition could certainly be worth more.

There are many people that would love to buy it at that price. I recommend not giving any more info publicly. I would also suggest finding a way to close the deal quickly before he realizes his price is far too low or someone else swoops in.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

What's it worth?

You just threw raw meat into a shark tank.

You better hope someone doesn’t offer him the going rate before you can give him $3k.

Even if The Walking Dead isn’t something you’re into, you could play it for a bit and then sell it for at least 50%-100% more (depending on the model) and get into another pin that’s more your style.

#65 3 years ago

Oklahoma pinheads are scrambling!

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Well, like I said, it really matters what your budget is.
Look at the Top 100 machines list here to get a feel for what's good. People will argue here about whether the list is accurate/fair, but it is still a decent starting place. If a machine is near the top, you can be sure it's good.
Of course, that may mean it will cost more. Personally, if it was my first machine, I would recommend buying something newer than most of the stuff you mention (in general - the older the machine, the more stuff is likely to break). Either a recent Stern machine or a CGC remake would be good choices.
But again, that will depend on how much you have to spend.

This post is a good example of why so many pinheads prefer to call them “machines” and hate calling them “tables”
If you substitute tables in this post it just sounds goofy and silly. It’s a matter of the weight of the words. Machines are typically interactive and versatile.
Tables are well... you put stuff of them and eat on them. That’s about it. You shouldn’t do either to a pinball machine and when you start using them as “tables” you’ll aggravate yourself because then it’s a PITA to take all the stuff off your machine to play a game.

Quoted from jvivlemore:

I started at $1,500 to $2,000 which is why 'Police Force' made the list, however, after reading posts here and elsewhere it sounds like I need $3,000 to $5,000 to get a top pick for a first timer or one that was recommended above and would be easy to maintain. No 'set' budget right now. I'm trying to let the pinballs help determine that. I don't want to spend $2K on something and regret it when $3K or move could have gotten me something I enjoy if that makes sense. I do have a wife and 4 kids though so can't get crazy and have to set a realistic budget at some point.

3K-5K is where everything seems to be now. Thanks to “Pinflation” prices are soaring. You’ve got to consider about 20 people sign up for Pinside every day on average, and since January we’ve had over 50 “first time buyer/new owner” threads posted. So EVERYONE is flooding this hobby and there straight up are not enough machines anymore.
10 years ago prices were so low there were more machines than buyers.
25 years ago machines regularly got thrown in the garbage working 100% because NOBODY WANTED THEM.
The home market really didn’t exist. Now it’s exploded.

Quoted from kevmad:

Good luck. And welcome! If you buy an older pin be prepared to fix things. Do you have a multimeter, soldering iron and basic tool kit? As long as you are willing, go for an older game and read pinwiki.
And one game will turn into 20!

As someone who has been in the hobby for 4 years, plan for more! One year was one game. 2nd year was 4 games. 3rd year was 10+ games and now I don’t keep track as much. Something like every 2-3 months I pick one up. Half are hardcore projects and deep restorations but that’s the fun part!

Quoted from jvivlemore:

BUY BUY BUY!!! Walking Dead is a 5k game, good luck finding one for 4500 because they sell so damn fast!

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

"The Walking Dead" for $3K. It's above my budget currently but it's not public yet so I could potentially have enough by the time he's ready to sell.

BARGAIN in today’s market. Get it without even thinking. If you don’t like it, you can sell it for a profit, put that into your budget for another pin.

It’s a very highly regarded game, so you might end up loving it. Not sure it’s very family friendly depending on your kids ages.

#68 3 years ago

I’m rooting for the new guy to get his first pin. Hopefully the Oklahoma pin nerds don’t steal it out from under him.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

Any advice for someone who is about to buy their first? What do I want to look for or stay away from?
My short list right now contains
Police Force (1989)
TMNT (1991)
Super Mario Bros (1992)
Star Wars (1992)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Twister (1996)
Jurassic Park: The Lost World (1997)
Godzilla (1998)
South Park (1999)
Star Wars Episde I (1999)
Pirates Of The Caribbean (2006)

If these are the games you like, and you can get one in your budget - get what you want.

Keep in mind that this is forum of “jaded experts”. We’ve played everything 1000 times & have specific tastes....but if I go back to my first game - Back to the Future - at the time, it was the most amazing thing ever, because I owned an actual pinball machine. A bit later I realized it wasn’t a keeper, but your “gateway pin” will always have some magic about it.

#70 3 years ago

For 3k, buy it and if you don't love it just trade it toward a pin way out of your price range.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

What's it worth?

When someone is trying to give you a good deal it is poor form to ask "what is it worth". Multiple Pinsiders have told you this is a great deal--if you really want to know the approx. value quietly look it up yourself. The only question should be is this game something you are OK with your kids playing? If so, don't over think this--just call your friend back, thank him for his kindness, ask for a description or a few photos and if it checks out pay the man, now!

#72 3 years ago

Yes, while I personally don't like the Walking Dead machine (and maybe it's only because I haven't played the revised programming on it), I have to acknowledge that the machine is well-liked by a large majority of pinsiders - and sells for a premium.

Assuming the machine is in working order (and not obviously beat-up), $3K is a VERY good deal. If you decide that it just isn't for you, you will have no trouble selling/trading it.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

I usually catch up on a thread before responding, but a $3K working TWD is a super awersome find. It's probably a pro, but who cares. Buy it!!!!! Doesn't matter if the family doesn't care, you will make money reselling anytime you want. I'm sure you are getting a bunch of PMs now.

#74 3 years ago

Most Williams system 11's make a good first Pinball.

#75 3 years ago

Grab the TWD— but if your kids are very young maybe not the best theme.. it’s def. one of the more adult pins although you probably already know that. There are certainly games the flow better, but it’s fun.

As far as your value question — most used pins tend to hold steady or even go up over time. Classic Bally Williams from the 90s have mostly gone way way up in last 10 years. Many Sterns from 2003 on (or so) tend to stay pretty steady, I wouldn’t worry about losing a bunch of $$ on a pin when you sell.. it’s doubtful to happen.

Know that a modern stern vs jjp game vs Bally Williams vs gottileb all feel very different, and different designers will give you a flowy game vs a stop a lot type game (holes/saucers/scoops trap balls, etc vs Ramos and shots that combo and feel fast). Maybe you like both styles.. maybe not.

WCS94 is a solid, fun, family suggestion

#76 3 years ago

Everyone is different, but I have five kids with the youngest in 1st grade and I wouldn't hestiate on a Walking Dead pin for that price. It's a fun game with the updated code.

For someone new, updated code means games when first released don't have the full rules and this was especially bad for The Walking Dead. It's a matter of the manufacturer rushing things to get the title out. Eventually, the code or programming of the rules gets finished working out bugs and improving the rules.

Also, being new; listen to anything Vid1900 says. He is a true expert.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from whizz:

Most Williams system 11's make a good first Pinball.

And second, and maybe third.

#78 3 years ago

I highly recommend The Walking Dead. It has tons of things to try for.

For 3k that is a steal.

In the past several years I have bought a lot of pins, and I have sold a lot of pins, and TWD is still here, with no plans of it going anywhere.

The callouts are funny, like redneck sounding, a little adult, every now and then at worst it may say "you're one tough son of a bitch aren't you". (I have only heard that 2 times maybe). (I wish it cussed more personally).

It is a good pin to learn nudging skills also. When the ball comes out from the pop bumpers a nudge is good. And when the magnet releases the ball a nudge helps.

If you do buy it, at some point look at videos on youtube to learn about more things to try for that you may have missed.

I am not that good of a player, and I have never made it too far into this game, but it is just so much fun, and funny, it has never gotten old.

It is pretty easy to get multi balls, but pretty hard to get a killer score unless you can make the shots that the game wants you to make consistently.

And you can call a pinball machine anything you want to. (pin, table, game, etc.)

I was playing with that. A while back someone else called a pinball a table and there was this big argument that started.

Pinside is more fun than most pinball machines/games/tables/pins.

#79 3 years ago

My 4yo grandson has played TWD, theme did not bother him

#80 3 years ago

If you get TWD, get the cleland soundtrack with the actual character call-outs for sure. You can get the pg13 version if necessary

#81 3 years ago

Great starter game would be space shuttle easy rules and some what easy but rewarding multiball, can be had for under 1500. I’m on my second and don’t see myself getting rid of it. Gets played the most next to Swords of fury for me. Hook is also on a short list.

Games to avoid I would say anything gottlieb everyone I have owned has been a nightmare to maintain and repair.

I’ve gone through about 20-30 pins, to settle on what I have now.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeymutt:

Great starter game would be space shuttle easy rules and some what easy but rewarding multiball, can be had for under 1500. I’m on my second and don’t see myself getting rid of it. Gets played the most next to Swords of fury for me. Hook is also on a short list.
Games to avoid I would say anything gottlieb everyone I have owned has been a nightmare to maintain and repair.
I’ve gone through about 20-30 pins, to settle on what I have now.

Just wondering...Have you ever played Hook?

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Just wondering...Have you ever played Hook?

Yup! Have you with the updated code? Had it for several months actually enjoyed it

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeymutt:

Yup! Have you with the updated code? Had it for several months actually enjoyed it

I'm guessing ChadH did code for it? I did not like the game when I played it, but with new code it might be more challenging and fun.

#85 3 years ago

Since TWD Pro is officially now a $3k pin, who else is ready to sell theirs?

I’m a buyer at $3k!

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

Hello Everyone,
It looks like 2021 might be the year I buy my 1st pinball table.
Any advice for someone who is about to buy their first? What do I want to look for or stay away from?
My short list right now contains
Jurassic Park (1993)

Awesome. A couple thoughts --- I don't think all of these have been said, but I only skimmed the responses:

1. Try and find the pinball community in your area and purchase a pin from one of them. You'll most likely get a fair deal and the condition of the pin will be communicated well

2. Only you can say if you like a pin. There's no definitive pinside "opinion" regarding pins and the so-called top 100 has little value other than "yes, it is a list".

3. Play the pin before you purchase it. I mean this both as "play the pin to make sure you like it" as well as "play the specific pin your are going to buy"

4. Yes, #3 means you shouldn't purchase NIB --- but that's outside your range. People are likely to disagree with this one though.

5. Don't stress about the choice. Do research and then get the pin. Assuming you purchased at a fair price, you should be able to sell and purchase another with only a minor loss. BTW, I'm not suggesting you are stressing about the decision.

6. There are all sorts of rules in pinball, deep or shallow, and IMHO they are all fun. Don't let someone tell you that you need a deep ruleset. Unless you learn that's your thing.

7. Data East Jurassic Park (1993) is a damn fine game straight from the factory and I'd take it any day over the newer Stern (although getting the unofficial 6.0 ROM is a solid option). In my collection, this is the only game my daughter plays.

Good luck!

#87 3 years ago

Normally when they sell one they will post it on Craigs list.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/preparing-to-buy-1st-table-have-questions-amp-need-advice-please/page/2?hl=whizz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.