I am in the process of doing a retheme of gorgar, and I am planning to do a custom vinyl overlay for the playfield art. I've read up on a bunch of stuff, and there's just a variety of approaches. Here is what I'm planning to do, please yell at me if any of this sounds like I'm going to run into issues.
Here's what I've already done...
1. Sanded off old art
2. replaced inserts with new ones
3. Sanded inserts flush with 220g orbital sander
Here's what I plan to do next...
4. paint areas with art white -- my logic here is that since the art is printed on translucent vinyl, it will allow the colors to pop more. Also, the printing company I'm looking at does not print white on clear vinyl, and they advised me to do this.
5. paint key lines around all inserts to account for any registration or alignment error
6. clear coat with spraymax 2k.
7. install overlay using dry method -- while less tolerant to error, I've read a lot of horror stories from people using wet application.
8. clear coat over the overlay (using the light coat, light coat, medium coat, heavy coat method, 30 min apart)
9. question life decisions that brought me to this point.
One question I have is should I clear coat the bare wood first before laying down the white, then clear coat again over the white before installing vinyl? Is it okay to just install the vinyl over the white?
Appreciate any tips, advice, or encouragement you can offer me!