(Topic ID: 261120)

Preparing for vinyl overlay: sanity check...

By Spraynard

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 months ago

I am in the process of doing a retheme of gorgar, and I am planning to do a custom vinyl overlay for the playfield art. I've read up on a bunch of stuff, and there's just a variety of approaches. Here is what I'm planning to do, please yell at me if any of this sounds like I'm going to run into issues.

Here's what I've already done...
    1. Sanded off old art
    2. replaced inserts with new ones
    3. Sanded inserts flush with 220g orbital sander

Here's what I plan to do next...
    4. paint areas with art white -- my logic here is that since the art is printed on translucent vinyl, it will allow the colors to pop more. Also, the printing company I'm looking at does not print white on clear vinyl, and they advised me to do this.
    5. paint key lines around all inserts to account for any registration or alignment error
    6. clear coat with spraymax 2k.
    7. install overlay using dry method -- while less tolerant to error, I've read a lot of horror stories from people using wet application.
    8. clear coat over the overlay (using the light coat, light coat, medium coat, heavy coat method, 30 min apart)
    9. question life decisions that brought me to this point.

One question I have is should I clear coat the bare wood first before laying down the white, then clear coat again over the white before installing vinyl? Is it okay to just install the vinyl over the white?

Appreciate any tips, advice, or encouragement you can offer me!

#2 3 months ago

All sounds good except I would use a finer grit for final sand on inserts.
    Painting white areas white first is a good idea as well as wood areas depending on decal type and quality.
    You can clear wood first but will probably take a couple coats with sanding. You will want it to cure/out gas for awhile before applying decal.
    Wet method is fine but need to make sure wood is sealed good first but I do think dry is best but being your first overlay I would maybe do wet.
    Do a test on decal material before you clear or if not as mentioned above do light/mist coat first and see how it reacts.

#3 3 months ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

All sounds good except I would use a finer grit for final sand on inserts.
    Painting white areas white first is a good idea as well as wood areas depending on decal type and quality.
    You can clear wood first but will probably take a couple coats with sanding. You will want it to cure/out gas for awhile before applying decal.
    Wet method is fine but need to make sure wood is sealed good first but I do think dry is best but being your first overlay I would maybe do wet.
    Do a test on decal material before you clear or if not as mentioned above do light/mist coat first and see how it reacts.

Thanks! Do you think I should clear the wood, then paint the white, or paint first on bare wood then clear?

Also, my understanding regarding the grit was that the clear needs some tooth on the insert, And it would still come out sunny in the end.

I have done a hardtop before, so Iā€™m somewhat familiar with dry method. Only thing that makes me nervous is that vinyl will have a lot more room for error.

#4 3 months ago

deleted. Misread the first time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 195.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    WOZ - OZ lanes Out of stock
    The Art of Pinball
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 235.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside