• Latest reply 4 years ago by Osric
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B406E301-7C83-4401-A557-986948A9181D (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider osric.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

One of my kids got me an STTNG Mirco playfield to replace the PF in my STTNG machine which is in need of a professional restorer's skill.

So, I plan to swap the playfield as as summer project with him that'll probably take us until Christmas . But I have the space, and would rather take my time and get it right.

I am seeking opinions on prep work before I even start the swap itself. Here are my current questions:

1- is it worth it to seal the wood on the back of the playfield before starting? I've seen this recommended but am no master woodworker and might fear getting finish into the inserts or causing other harm.

2- should I add extra glue to the back of all the inserts? As it's a new playfield, there is no guarantee that the inserts will stay perfectly flat as they are now; but again it seems error prone and possibly overkill.

3- I expect the project to take us a long time, so I wasn't going to give the PF time to cure further. Is there a way to tell the manufacture date on a Mirco PF? If there's a chance we'll be done by September, will I regret not aging it first?

4- Drilling out the holes a bit from the topside to avoid cracks in the clear seems recommended, but inspecting them it looks to me like it's already been done by the manufacturer. Anyone know for sure if this step is needed on a Mirco PF?

5- What questions am I not asking that I should be?

Thanks!
Osric

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Have you tried contacting Mirco? I would imagine they could address most, if not all of your questions.

I assumed that as the vendor they'd be keen to reassure me that it's a quality product, and all this extra prep that pinball enthusiasts insist on is not really necessary. But it can't hurt to contact them, so I might as well!

Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, there's no reason to. Plus, I've never seen anyone else do it much outside of the EM days. The bottom of the playfield is a working surface, not a finished surface that's on display.

Thanks. This is in the stickied playfield swap post but I haven't seen it anywhere else and it's nice to know that it's probably unnecessary.

#21 4 years ago

Thanks to everyone for lots of helpful responses!

I was planning to build two rotisseries and bought the parts for the first one tonight ... but it sounds like maybe one is all I'll need.

I will take my time and follow all the links given.

High_End_Pins - I am in awe of your work, Chris, and will watch your posts on STTNG with interest! I have spent hours reading through your restore threads.

Osric

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 63.95
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 64.99
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider osric.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/preparing-for-an-sttng-pf-swap?tu=osric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.