You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_14 (resized).png
frontier (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20170308-012621 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Jack played Dialed In; He likes it!

2 weeks later
#77 7 years ago

Simple formula when looking at rankings == CTS == consider the source.

If the ranking is from someone you trust, then trust that person's rank. Otherwise, ignore it.

There may be too much worry that newbies won't have this information (they don't know anyone here yet). The solution is to stick around and lurk for a bit. Then, they can make a better decision based on rankings + CTS.

Maybe a simple feature could be to remove all your ignored posters from the rankings of a particular game you're looking at and have that be an "adjusted" score you see. Also maybe when reading the ranking thread, have the option to remove a person's ranking right there and recalculate a ranking just for you.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No, you should probably just ignore that too...really there's no way of knowing anything which is what makes it interesting.
You seem like nothing but a stand up chap who knows his gameplay and skills; That's just from talking with you on here.
You also have WH20 & Whirlwind as you lowest rated games, which means your a psychotic bastards whom shouldn't be trusted.
See, no way to tell.

To be fair, I own a White Water and I still hate it. That's allowed

Whirlwind should probably be higher... not sure why it's so low. I also am taking delivery of TSPP soon... so it will probably rise in the rankings.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

That was exactly one of my points, it is just another means of propagating nonsense.
This is not a virtual pinball website or a forum dedicated to video games.
There are other locations for this information.
Farsight Studios recreations are many times not accurate to the original games, even though the developer states otherwise.
Sometimes corners are cut, even if the corners are hard to spot.
Non owners and people that never played the actual games cannot distinguish differences.
I will just give an example from one game:
The EM Fireball version of Pinball Arcade mechanics activation functionality of the "free ball gate" is completely wrong.
The "whirlwind" spinner action is wrong in terms of speed and action mostly out of the surface friction coefficient not being accurate.
The sounds are not chimes in this game, they are two tone actual bells, neither which is correct.
Scoring on the simulation does not sound like this on the real EM game.
The zipper flippers are way overpowered.
The score reels numbers are wrong in font and size.
There are scoring errors based on the switches.
Most of the noted differences from memory are not aesthetics, they are gameplay related.
These are just few things off my memory, as there are most likely many more.

Flippers in TPA in general just seem much more "accurate" than they could possibly be on a real physical machine, too. If you "flip" anywhere near accurate, it seems the software assumes your aim was good and will make an accurate shot. The hyper-inflated scores of TPA are not impressive in the slightest... I actually enjoy it when people from TPA come to play real pinball and get an education (humbled usually!)

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from pbu:

I don't think it's the flippers auto-aiming as much as it is that there are factors that prevent any two flips from being identical such as:
-Flipper rubbers are not uniform after they get some wear on them - subsequently, I think this is why Super Bands / Titian Bands are more accurate
-Ever time the coil fires it's slightly different, for example, tempreture of the coil impacts its strength..

Definitely see kickouts behaving differently even from one ball to another on many machines. Kickouts from scoops seem entirely too friendly on TPA most of the time. Anybody can score huge if they get consistent feeds.

1 week later
#181 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

the fact that there is even a seperate listing for MMr is odd/silly and shows how pointless the system is.

For me it's even simpler... MM is a nice game, but overrated (it's top 20; just not #1). I don't need some top 100 list to tell me what my favorite games should be

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Code, graphics, and animations are not the hallmarks of pinball machine innovation.
Those are video game concepts.
Technology has never saved pinball.
Shot layout, and gameplay physical "feel" determine its success, something related to the nebulous concept of "flow" or simply "magic" as it referred by designers.
Otherwise, it is just another virtual pinball machine.
They attempt to correlate pinball machines to things like smart phones...

You do not build a game around an LCD screen, or code, you build it around a playfield, which has been the baseline since the 1940s.

Wise words.

I feel like (and people may disagree--strongly, even) video games (in a sort of parallel) took a major left turn around 1995. This is approximately when home consoles began offering similar graphics quality to what was in the arcades, and it's also when "Doom" and "Quake" and 3D graphics became the new normal.

Games became more about the simulation of reality rather than an escape from it. Pac Man wasn't a great game because of the graphics. It wouldn't be a better game rendered in awesome 3D--it might look cool, but it wouldn't be more fun. Simulation games always held a very small niche of the video game spectrum in the late 70s to early 80s. There were the guys with their flight simulators, and most of us video gamers secretly made fun of them Seems the sim-ers got their revenge, though. Most new games since about 1995 seem to have gone the "simulation" route, in terms of simulating reality rather than the abstract route--weird, sidescrolling platformers with cartoon type characters.

You could also see a parallel with animated feature movies--with Disney going away from hand drawn features to the 3D CGI movies. Maybe the movies like Toy Story make big bucks--but it's because they're well written. It's certainly not because 3D CGI is a superior look to the beautiful hand drawn animation.

Anyway... this type of "change" is what I'm leery of in pinball. If we go too far, we lose its essence. I feel we've already lost the essence of video games (since '95) and the essence of the long-form animated feature (since about the release of "Toy Story" in the same year).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chadderack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prepare-for-chaos-in-the-top-100?tu=chadderack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.