(Topic ID: 286310)

Prep clearcoat for waterslides

By polyacanthus

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I have never seen anyone discuss the specifics of prepping for waterslide decals between clearcoat layers. Namely the scuffing/sanding.

I have lots of experience with decals through scale modeling. They need to be applied to a glossy surface to adhere properly without ghosting. But clearcoat is the opposite- it needs the surface to be sanded or scuffed for proper adhesion.

So what do the experts do, apply decals and then sand around them? Or sand the playfield and then buff out the area where you place the decal?

Furthermore, what about the clearcoat going over top of the smooth decal. Aren't you asking for ghosting there? Seems like you'll have a decal sandwiched between two smooth layers of clearcoat (top and bottom of the decal).

#2 3 years ago

I typically sand the whole playfield as per normal and then go back over decal areas with finer grits to smooth it out a bit better for the decal. It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth, just enough that the decal won't fly off when initially hit with the air from the HVLP gun.

As for clearing over the decal, the clearcoat basically melts the decal to the surface. Just a light mist coat at first. Let that flash, then a wetter coat of clear to fully melt/bond and seal it in. Usually, at least one more round of sanding/clearcoat is needed after the initial application to eliminate dieback at the decal edges.

#3 3 years ago

This thread helped me during a resto. Comments #9&10 are key

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cloudy-insert-after-water-slide-decal

#4 3 years ago

If you scuff the clear before applying the decals it'll be cloudy as the decal won't fill in the scuffs.
    Put them over smooth glossy clear, then you can clear again over them.

-Paul

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/prep-clearcoat-for-waterslides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.