(Topic ID: 264376)

Preferred payment method for used games?

By jacksparrow0112

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TP is king now (resized).png
    Money-hand (resized).jpg
    AFD53FB1-CD71-467B-82DE-3DADB600DB51 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

New to the hobby and hoping to purchase my first pin second hand from the classifieds on Pinside. What is the best/preferred method of payment when showing up to buy a pin? Is it advisable to be driving around with $5,000+ cash, or is there another method everyone here is using? Thanks in advance for the advice!

#2 4 years ago

Cash on the glass.

#3 4 years ago

Cash. Yes it does feel strange, but you get used to it.

#4 4 years ago

Cash. Period.

#5 4 years ago

Amex.

Don’t leave home without it.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the quick reply. Cash it is

#7 4 years ago

It's really up to the seller. Check out this guide. Lots of good info on protecting yourself as both buyer and seller.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#8 4 years ago

Cash ...... and a big, strong friend who is packing!

#9 4 years ago

Cash is KING

#10 4 years ago

Cash, grass or ass on the glass.

#11 4 years ago

CASH. Take a friend.

#12 4 years ago

Cash.

#13 4 years ago

Not wanting to carry that much cash, I have purchased one pin with cash, one pin with a cashier's check and two via PayPal. Pretty much the same as 'cash on the glass'. Just ask the seller what they prefer. If using PP only do it in person after you've inspected the machine and agree on the price.

#14 4 years ago
    AFD53FB1-CD71-467B-82DE-3DADB600DB51 (resized).jpegAFD53FB1-CD71-467B-82DE-3DADB600DB51 (resized).jpeg
    #15 4 years ago
    Quoted from SKWilson:

Not wanting to carry that much cash, I have purchased one pin with cash, one pin with a cashier's check and two via PayPal. Pretty much the same as 'cash on the glass'. Just ask the seller what they prefer. If using PP only do it in person after you've inspected the machine and agree on the price.

This is good advice. I think most people think PP is for paying before hand or only for shipped games.

#16 4 years ago

Unless I know you personally, its cash only for a face to face sale. No checks of any kind, Paypal, Venmo, or anything else! Scams evolve faster than my ability to keep up. Cash is ALWAYS king! If I'm shipping, or you plan to drive to me for pick up, I'll take checks or Paypal. But the game stays in my possession until the money is all in my account and can not be reversed back out.

#17 4 years ago

Cash only for someone I don't know.

I would only be ok with PayPal direct bank transfer for a buyer that I know.

#18 4 years ago
    Money-hand (resized).jpgMoney-hand (resized).jpg
    #19 4 years ago

Cash only unless it is a reputable commercial establishment. The only time I ever used Paypal Friends and Family was to put down a deposit on a used machine from TNT Amusements... Todd's real nice!

#20 4 years ago

Cash.

#21 4 years ago

Gift cards from local massage parlors are what I prefer.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from SKWilson:

You wouldn't be buying from me then... cash and carry. Paypal is NOT the same as cash as you can contest the payment. Since there is no evidence of delivery the seller is screwed. Checks can and HAVE BEEN counterfeited.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

You wouldn't be buying from me then... cash and carry. Paypal is NOT the same as cash as you can contest the payment. Since there is no evidence of delivery the seller is screwed. Checks can and HAVE BEEN counterfeited.

Good luck contesting with friends and family/gift mode.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Good luck contesting with friends and family/gift mode.

You contest it through the credit card you used to pay for it through family/friends not paypal...no problem. Family/friends does NOT protect the seller.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from madtown:

You contest it through the credit card you used to pay for it through family/friends not paypal...no problem. Family/friends does NOT protect the seller.

My experience is it does. Even if scammed and thru a credit card. May depend on the card and/or the price, but I can tell you it isn't easy. Both frown on using it to make a purchase.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

My experience is it does. Even if scammed and thru a credit card. May depend on the card and/or the price, but I can tell you it isn't easy. Both frown on using it to make a purchase.

Ok, good to know. YOU will accept paypal or other forms of payment. Most of the rest of us will not.

#28 4 years ago

Always, cash on the glass.

#29 4 years ago

My word is my bond.

#30 4 years ago

Has anyone suggested cash?

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

Ok, good to know. YOU will accept paypal or other forms of payment. Most of the rest of us will not.

Might be some problems with that when they ban the use of cash (let's hope it doesn't come to that)

#32 4 years ago

Cash is always king and easiest for everyone involved. Just my two cents

#33 4 years ago

I may accept this for the next few months.....

TP is king now (resized).pngTP is king now (resized).png
    #35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Amex.
    Don’t leave home without it.

Wait, you would have taken credit?! Speaking of which, you selling anything else?

#36 4 years ago

Cash. Cash. Cash.

#37 4 years ago

PAYPAL WARNING: sold a game to someone who was 100 miles away took deposit PayPal balance cash. Gave her the game at Golden State. Two months later received a notice from PayPal they were rescinding the payment due to a fraud complaint. Called the buyer she was shocked as she was happy with the game. Turned out it was her bank because it was a larger amount than she usually paid with PayPal. Took two weeks to straighten it out. Then the bank and PayPal did it again a month later. Took another two weeks to straighten it out. I no longer have a PayPal account.

#38 4 years ago

Cash works, but only if you're close.
    I have bought a couple of machines from California and a couple from NY. As much as I would like the adventure of driving to bring home a pin I don't have the time to make those road trips. I paid by direct wire transfer. I only bought from people who had been on Pinside for Several years and had a multi-year track record of sales and good reviews. Everything shipped via STI. Never had a problem.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from jdroc:

Wait, you would have taken credit?! Speaking of which, you selling anything else?

Haha.

Nope. Nothing for sale. I’m busy stockpiling system 11s.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Gift cards from local massage parlors are what I prefer.

the gift that keeps on giving!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/preferred-payment-method-for-used-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.