Predator - what happens to games that have already been made?

(Topic ID: 122424)

Predator - what happens to games that have already been made?

By RGR

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PEN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Einstein.jpg
captobv.jpeg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Your original post reads like an I told you so....

Because it should! I will leave you with one of the best posts of 2015. Read over and over if necessary...

Quoted from pkiefert:

In the pinball industry there seems to have been a shift away from the traditional business model of a company believing in a product, making the product and then selling the product. The shift has been towards a model of a company not sure about the success of their product or not sure of their means to produce the product so they go the route of "pre-ordering" to get customers to buy something before it's made.
Pinball Inc. and now The Circus Maximus Group have never nor will ever take “pre-orders” for any product we make, including Python’s Pinball Circus (PPC). For over 13 years we've been making parts for the pinball community and we have never taken a single payment before the products were in stock and ready to ship, we have believed in these products and we stand behind them. It’s not the role of the customer to take the financial risks, it’s the company who stands to benefit from the financial gain that should take the risk.
We've been getting dozens of requests for pre-orders of PPC including requests to send us money as well, we refuse. We will only take orders for the games when they are READY. You will have the opportunity to see and play the game BEFORE you buy it. If we sell out, then we will probably make more.
We are enjoying working on the game and we are sure the end product will indeed be the game that deserves to carry it’s name.
Cheers,
James Loflin
Pinball Inc.
The Circus Maximus Group

#52 3 years ago

I think "court order destroy everything" is outrageous when mega-bucks FOX made the stink. it'd been a fairer judgement FOX buys all that good hardware, or just "you cannot sell game with OUR theme" meaning a mandatory re-theme. in their honor I'd redo art-audio etc and call it "predatorY", whoops.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from nintendo:

I can guarantee you that he already had 20+ people contact him to purchase the pin for a ridiculous amount of money because of what you said exactly. Thing's already a collectors item and it's the most hated pin in the world at the moment

Right? Please place funds in an unmarked envelope. No one should think of buying anything from him.

#54 3 years ago

Would people hate the person who bought it from Kevin?

#55 3 years ago

Kevin - I would like to buy before shit goes down:

One Playfield

One Plastics set

One Ramp set

-

Please apply the cash I give you to any outstanding debt.

Thanks,

Vid

#56 3 years ago

I don't think Fox is going to let any parts or games escape. If they choose not to pursue a federal copyright infringement suit against Kevin, it would absolutely be on the pretext that all infringing material is destroyed, and they will reserve the right to file suit if that game or a playfield or whatever turns up down the road. This will be spelled out in whatever Kevin agrees to to keep from being sued now.

And if he does get sued now, hoarding parts would be a really bad idea...

#57 3 years ago

There are enough pictures on the web that I could recreate the playfield from scratch on any of the CNC wood routers at work.

I hope Keven does not get sued by Fox in the future, should I choose to do that.

#58 3 years ago

I want the games to survive....for the same reason I wouldn't want that Matrix pin to get destroyed.

Licensing issues and subsequent atomic mess aside, Predator was a cool game. I played it at a bunch of shows...and liked what I saw.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

for the same reason I wouldn't want that Matrix pin to get destroyed

Which one? -_^

As long as the game software survives, along with the original playfield art files, the rest can be recreated down the road.

Quoted from vid1900:

There are enough pictures on the web that I could recreate the playfield from scratch on any of the CNC wood routers at work. I hope Keven does not get sued by Fox in the future, should I choose to do that.

He might, if it was his files that you used *and you publicly display the game* Fox will hold Kevin responsible for any future breaches, since he created the stuff in the first place. Fox will have no idea what is in someone's basement.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

I want the games to survive....for the same reason I wouldn't want that Matrix pin to get destroyed.
Licensing issues and subsequent atomic mess aside, Predator was a cool game. I played it at a bunch of shows...and liked what I saw.

So how was the matrix able to get made?

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Under the radar.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

So long as you build for your own personal use and not for commercial sale & distribution in any quantity you should be ok. Matrix, Goonies, Buffy all those under the radar like vid states. Once you try to sell beyond a one off that's when you have trouble.

#63 3 years ago

People have made Batmobile replica cars, etc. No one ever does anything about a one-off.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

They didn't. They made a couple and I believe they were planning to convert a whole bunch of JM's for sale but ran into the license issue.

#65 3 years ago

The Matrix was was an amazing game to play!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 7.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 63.00
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 2.50
Electronics
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 76.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside