stirring-the-pot.jpg
pull out.png
train.png
B1Tdn8GIAAAvzOu.jpg
wpid-NO-SOUP-FOR-YOU616.jpg
image-288.jpg
PredatorHalloweenPumpkin.jpg
coolest-homemade-predator-halloween-costume-2-21310269.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wahchintonka.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#34 9 years ago

This game cannot get to my house quick enough. Great video Kevin!

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I know you pride yourself on the rules and this game on having complete rules out of the box, but is there any plans for additional rules at some point. I know we bag on Stern for making us wait, but sometimes it's nice to have an additional mode or feature to look forward to.

I like how Stern has some people so conditioned to be satisfied with only having partial code that when they get a game in which they can enjoy it as intended, from the beginning they're not sure what to make of it.

#112 9 years ago

Concerning the UV. Kevin has already stated multiple times that UV shows up in complete darkness. The only gameplay part of the video that was in complete darkness was Showdown. It was also stated that a different camera was used for the cut scenes as the overhead cam did not pick up the UV. Depending on your height you might be looking at the play field at about 2 ft higher than the camera on the cut scenes. Demanding to see the UV from 2-3ft higher up is a bit picky.

The normal colors used on the playfield each have their own levels of UV reaction so if anyone is wanting the effect to appear as UV paint on a black background, you will be sorely disappointed.

If at this point if anyone is having severe doubts about the game whether it's the UV or the game play then this game is probably not for you.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

No offense but that's horse shit. I really can't stand the cop out you and others perpetuate on any Predator thread when someone asks for a better picture or hard question - "probably not for you then." Sorry I'm not a lemming and swallow the cool aid before tasting it.

Well unless you were at one of the expos that Predator was at you will pretty much have to "swallow the Kool-Aid before tasting it". Kevin has shown all of the gameplay, given a written set of rules, shown the UV working with the lights that are on the machine, in the dark as intended, lowered the intensity of lights, and is re-doing the plastics at a higher resolution.

Your issue wasn't a "hard question" it was a gripe plain and simple. Kevin didn't give you what you wanted exactly the way you wanted it. Too many people in the Predator threads believe that since Skit-B decided to allow some community involvement (which is a mistake they appear to not be making on their second pin) that Skit-B should bow to every single demand made of them. The video was everything that Skit-B was planning on giving us. Kevin wouldn't spend as long as he did making it if that was not the case. This is not a year ago when the prototype was still being built. The game is done, the video is done and now we move on to production.

My comment was that if you still have serious concerns or doubts at this point, when the machine is done and production is going to start, then you may not want to put your money into this machine. That isn't a fanboy response it is simply the reality of any such purchase like this. We almost put money down on a WOZ a couple years ago, but we had too many concerns about it so we didn't.

And you might want to get your analogies right. What lemmings do is migratory behavior that is instinctual and built into their DNA. They also do not commit suicide it is just that sometimes a body of water may be to wide for their small bodies to make it across. Lemmings also do not drink Kool-Aid.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

No, it did, but, we can't see it because the camera isn't picking up the UV since the whole thing is bathed in overhead light. It was "dark" but we could still clearly see everything, therefore, not dark enough.

Showdown was in pitch black but the overhead camera wouldn't pick up the UV. Kevin had to use a different one for the cut scenes in between the gameplay segments.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is UV light active during showdown?

The ramps were slightly glowing, but nothing else indicated that they were on.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I'm glad you like correcting me on the definition of a lemming and can read wikipedia.

I didn't need Wikipedia to know that lemmings don't drink Kool-Aid. I mean, everyone knows they all prefer Hawaiian Punch.

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Badbilly really wants to see the UV and, apparently, unlike me, hasn't given this hope up as fruitless.

Kevin answered his exact question before he even asked it and it has been quoted several times by different people, but Badbilly just apparently wants to ignore that part of Kevin's response.

#133 9 years ago

Btw, here's the UV. From the video. In darkness, and only using the lights from the game as per Kevin.

image.jpgimage.jpg

And again, due to the reactive nature of the colors under the UV paint, it is not going to pop out as if it was on a black background.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I'm not saying Kevin didn't, and I'm not saying Badbilly's isn't. I'm saying what got his goat was your tired and true, pat on the head, overstepped, unsolicited, high school guidance councilor "wisdom". It's obnoxious, unhelpful and, obviously, inciting.

In my comment that was first quoted by Badbilly I was simply pointing out, in general, that Kevin had already addressed the UV question. I then stated, and not due to a criticism, that since the game was complete and Kevin had shown everything he has planned to show if you still had serious doubts then maybe you want to back out. This is simple common sense for a purchase like this. Badbilly is the one who jumped me, not vice versa.

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I just wanna see a close up of the Claw in action....

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I have a question or two to piggy back on the Dude's. Does anyone know if / how much UV paint degrades over time. Now that the entire playfield is continuously baked in UV whenever the unit is on it seems a pertinent question. Along with the particulars of those tubes of course.

UV paint should degrade the same as regular paint since the "fading" is actually chemical bonds being broken apart by the UV radiation. Black light tubes are typically UV-A which is the least damaging of the three variations. The amount of overall damage done by the UV lights would just depend on how long the machine is left on. I know most private collectors typically only have their machines on when they are being played, but if one happens to be routed, the UV would likely cause some play field/plastics fade.

1 week later
#214 9 years ago

The way I understood the email is that they will be making them in one large group and then sending them out. The original plan was half when they begin making your machine. Well, since they are beginning production on all of them, they are asking for the money from everyone. One thing they did not guarantee was that if you were at the end of production, you would time to see others's opinions of the game. The $250 deposit was also not part of the original "deal" but it was something they needed to put into place. I know $3000 is a lot more than $250, but I don't think they've gone against what was originally said. The only thing different is that they are doing them in one big chunk instead of smaller ones, but nothing was concrete as far as how long production would take or how many would be made at the same time. A lot on the list have had 2-3 years to save up the money and we have aware that production would likely start soon.

#235 9 years ago

No, this the realities of running a business that requires manufacturing. The $3,000 is $500 more than half, however the $250 deposit was $250 more than originally required and you didn't seem to have problem with that. Everyone on the pre-order list should have the full amount together at this point (baring unforeseen emergancies or financial issues).

Quoted from dannunz:

Let me see that 100 people have gotten there games than I will pay the 3k. I am build #220 ish. If I pay in 3k now who is to say there will be any money left to build games when mine comes up? Paypal is only good for 60 days. We all know pinball machines take time to build.

One of the costs of buying a limited run product is that you don't get to have owner reviews before the product is delivered and sometimes even made. Sometimes you have an existing portfolio to help with the decision, sometimes you don't. We all knew going in that this was their first machine and while they wanted to build in small batches, this was not etched in stone. Kevin told us what they were hoping to do, but it just didn't pan out.

Kevin wouldn't be doing it this way unless it was more cost effective. You can rant and rage all you want to, but that isn't going to change the requirement of $3,000 by June 28, which, by the way, is still two weeks away.

#274 9 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

You can stop worrying about me. I will be ok no matter what happens. Thanks!

Ditto!

Quoted from cmproductions:

Still emailing Kevin every day and Still and waiting for my refund. No response has got me worried for everyone here.

Are you still trying to keep your spot? I would imagine that might complicate a return based on the new deadline.

#285 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

cmproductions needs the refund for his sick child, that's kind of a big deal.

You instructed him to do something that Skit-B is not allowing in regards to pre-orders. Sure, he could sell his spot, but then whoever buys it will get screwed since Skit-B wouldn't honor the transfer.

Any money that has been paid into Predator at this point has likely gone towards supplies and parts. This why Kevin said that if you want to back out, your refund would be processed as soon as the next wait lister paid their deposit. It could be something as simple as Skit-B just not having the cash on hand to process a refund. This can tend to be the case for lots of startups. I just don't see Kevin intentionally screwing him over. But you Rai, you automatically jump to the worst possible scenario, and are incapable of seeing things from someone else's point of view.

I will join Whysnow in asking you nicely to just leave the Predator threads now that you have an IM re-release to fawn over and compare non-production pins to. There was a LOTR / Hobbit comparison thread started a while back. I think you might like that one.

EDIT: cmproductions - I really hope everything gets ironed out for you in time. I honestly do not think Kevin is doing this on purpose. He may have processed the refund but something messed up and he just isn't aware of it.

#307 9 years ago

Thanks for defending me Rai!

I don't remember seeing anyone attacking you. Unfortunaty communication is not one of Skit-B's strong points and hasn't been for awhile. I really don't think your lack of a refund is due to any maliciousness on Kevin's part.

#312 9 years ago

That may be but unfortunately, a key and integral part of any successful business is "communication."

I completely agree with you. My point was just that I don't think it is on purpose. Hopefully they get it all straightened out after Predator is taken care of. From everything I've seen I think Kevin is a stand up guy and I would hope that a non-malicious mistake wouldn't sour you on the company as a whole.

And before any of you scream "Fanboy!", I simply believe that in this hobby we should support the good companies like Skit-B, Ben Heck, Planetary, Dutch and the like. Yes, they will all make mistakes and some people will be hurt by them more than others but that doesn't make them bad companies.

#322 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Exactly, also I was never able to play this game prototype or final production version, I went to Allentown it was not there. It was my assumption from the initial project model that say 25-50 games would be built and shipped and so on. If we were in the middle of the build order we could possibly see the game. No one in the universe has played the game besides Kevin. I mean the actual game we are buying not a prototype. No one can verify if the UV paint is visible. There is now other possibilities such as IM or Metallica for the exact same money with the full backing of Stern.
I am also fed up with this whole notion if we don't say anything good about Predator we should just exit the project. The terms have changed by Kevin on a 2 week notice. That's kind of sudden, pay more than half in 2 weeks or you are out of the project. I'm sure it's fine Kevin can make the rules but it's also fine if I say that's changing the rules and not very fair to the buyers. The old system had more safeguards to the tail end people what if Kevin runs out of money after 200 games? Not saying he will but there is a risk to pay especially if you are not getting a game until January but have to pay more than half in June.

Actually, we were wanting you to leave the Predator since by your own words ("Hasta la vista, Predator") you were out. You've been wushu washy from the start. First it was Predator vs ST and then MET and now IM. You very rarely have anything positive to say either about the game or about Skit-B. You attack them not because they change something but over stuff that you think they should do after they have already said they were not going to do it (Allentown). You also ignore facts when they do not suit you such as saying no one has seen the UV working besides Kevin when we do have accounts of others seeing it.

Skit-B did want to originally produce the game in small batches but nothing was set in stone. Now that the production schedule is out and we finally have a hard deadline, you act like Skit-B has purposefully deceived you because you assumed that you would get reviews of finished products before yours was built. You know what happens when you assume right?

#327 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

That email about paying 3 grand was sent to me on the 11th of June so it is only a two week notice.

And? We are already 3 months past the previous production of the first part of April and people have been able to pay on their Predator for months now. Even without that the project has been ongoing for 2 years +. There was going to be a hard deadline set eventually.

#372 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Why Kevin doesnt have a phone number for customers to call is beyond me. Kevin if you read this you might wanna start getting these people their money back, I can see this snowballing which could greatly hurt your company. You might not want to listen to me but I am invested in your business and the id like to know all will be ok and refunds have been handled accordingly?

I would place odds that all or most of the money they have been paid in deposits so far are tied up in materials/other costs. The fact that Kevin said that the $250 deposit would be refunded when the waitlister moving up pays their $250 deposit would back this theory up. As far as anyone who paid more than the $250 they probably assumed that the person would be less likely to drop out, used the money and are needing an influx of capital to be able to refund the larger deposits. I don't remember seeing anywhere where Kevin laid out a timeline for refunds (especially the larger deposits). This is unfortunately one of the risks of buying from a start-up manufacturer. Typically a very large majority of money recieved is put towards overhead/materials/labor. JJP already had Jack's distributorship to pull money from and they still required all of the money up front. This is just my theory though.

#374 9 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

That Death Star lamp! I want to get one of those for the babies room, but my wife doesn't think it will work
Is it actually functional as a light source, or more of a talking point?
/tangent

It is functional as a light source. We have one in the hall as well. It has two pull cords on it, one closes it, like in the photo above, and one opens it. It will take max a 60 watt LED (the bulb can only draw 11 watts of power)

You cannot see it in the photos below, but the inner frame work comes in different colors. The hall one is teal and the pinball room one is orange.

image-878.jpgimage-878.jpg
image-536.jpgimage-536.jpg

1 week later
#505 9 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

Well, it wasn't an easy decision to make. Been on this ride for about 3 years I think. Halfway back in the build order, I figured we'd get to see some reactions from folks with the finished game. Not the case anymore. With no plans to sell the machine, I wanted to just be sure it was something I enjoyed playing, but there's no guarantee. Sometimes, though, you just gotta take a chance. Paid in full.
Welcome To The Hunt

I may be completely wrong, but as far as I understood the email, today was a "pay half-ish or you're out" deadline and not a "you can no longer back out" deadline. I believe you can still back out even after paying the $3,000 up until around when your machine is being built.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wahchintonka.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/predator-players-guide?tu=wahchintonka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.