pull out.png
train.png
B1Tdn8GIAAAvzOu.jpg
wpid-NO-SOUP-FOR-YOU616.jpg
image-288.jpg
PredatorHalloweenPumpkin.jpg
coolest-homemade-predator-halloween-costume-2-21310269.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 1,373 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 28.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Spies:

Can't view video on mobile device here.

Glad it's not just me. I'll stop trying.

#52 9 years ago

Now that's what I'm talking about. Great video, love the sounds and depth of game play. I'm with the rest here, when can we expect these bad boys to start shipping? I'm glad I stayed in. Great job Kevin.

#53 9 years ago

That really was a perfectly done video Kevin!

Focus on gameplay/ tutorial was really nice and highlighted the most impotant part about the entire game!

#54 9 years ago

Kevin, you're such a liar. You said you were not a good player. You are an excellent player and that gameplay video was outstanding. The game plays fast and furious. I am just curious why so many other videos I saw made the game appear lackluster.

I was one of your biggest doubters (I take it back) the game looks fantastic. Looking forward to this game, need to sell a pin.

#55 9 years ago

Watched it again. So cool. I stopped just after showdown explanation but before this final mode really starts... don't want to spoil all the fun!

Trivial setting questions:
- Xball can be deactivated or awarding points instead?
- Can you adjust the number of shots to collect one character? Or number of times you need to hit the standup targets to lit lock?

#56 9 years ago

Hmm was pretty resigned to giving up my spot prior to this video, and I haven't gotten a chance to watch the whole thing yet, but I'm seriously considering staying back in now...

#57 9 years ago

I know you pride yourself on the rules and this game on having complete rules out of the box, but is there any plans for additional rules at some point. I know we bag on Stern for making us wait, but sometimes it's nice to have an additional mode or feature to look forward to.

Nice to see insane scores, does it count up to and over 10Billion? (not that I'd ever get there LOL, just out of curiosity).

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

sometimes it's nice to have an additional mode or feature to look forward to.

Having a "complete" ruleset from the start does not prevent adding new features later on... I am sure some of us will come up with interesting new ideas.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from jhoward1082:

Hmm was pretty resigned to giving up my spot prior to this video, and I haven't gotten a chance to watch the whole thing yet, but I'm seriously considering staying back in now...

me too.

I'm sorry but seeing some over the shoulder video at some conventions where the player made not one ramp or loop. Then seeing this video was like night and day.

Also, since we lost the old game footages it was hard to recall what an actual gameplay on the game looked like.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Glad it's not just me. I'll stop trying.

Might just be because it is so long, I guess. It was created and uploaded the same way as all the others.

Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I'm with the rest here, when can we expect these bad boys to start shipping? I'm glad I stayed in.

Emails will be going out shortly with that information and to show the video to everyone. Pinside always gets these things within minutes of them getting done, but let's not forget that people who aren't regulars here always have to wait for that next email a few days later.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Focus on gameplay/ tutorial was really nice and highlighted the most impotant part about the entire game!

I love the fact that there are still pinheads out there who appreciate gameplay / rules above all (most?) else

Quoted from rai:

Kevin, you're such a liar. You said you were not a good player. You are an excellent player and that gameplay video was outstanding.

I try to stay modest about my pinballing skills these days. I am aware that I tend to play above the average level, but I am painfully inconsistent. I definitely have some good games and scores here and there, but when I suck, boy do I suck Last time we had state championships here, I technically ended up tied in the top-ten in Michigan, but that's the issue: I live in Michigan. The land of Andy Rosa, Chris Tabaka, Andrew Rosa, Aaron Grabowski, Todd Seaver, etc. The list of truly great players in this area is staggering, so it's easy to stay modest when you LOSE at Batman Dark Knight in a tournament with a score over 120M (thanks, Andy!) at your local venue.

Quoted from rai:

The game plays fast and furious. I am just curious why so many other videos I saw made the game appear lackluster.

To be fair, I know this game a lot better than people playing it for their first or second time and posting videos from the show floor Note how many times I DON'T shoot the center targets unless I have to!

Quoted from rai:

I was one of your biggest doubters (I take it back) the game looks fantastic.

This is why I'm taking a day off. If rai is satisfied, I'm satisfied!

Quoted from jlm33:

- Xball can be deactivated or awarding points instead?
- Can you adjust the number of shots to collect one character? Or number of times you need to hit the standup targets to lit lock?

Extra ball can be set for points or extra ball as in most modern games.
Changing number of shots to collect a character would be novel, but I don't know at this point. We had it set to 5 for a while and NO ONE got to it, and 2 would be way too easy for what the mode is worth.
The number of times to hit the targets to light lock is a pretty self-correcting system. The exact equation to light a lock is (number of previous multiballs + 1) for each lock lit. So the first time takes just once, but if you've done multiball 3 times, it would take four times hitting both targets to light a lock. I think it caps at five, but I don't see that coming up very often.

Quoted from rai:

is there any plans for additional rules at some point. I know we bag on Stern for making us wait, but sometimes it's nice to have an additional mode or feature to look forward to.

There aren't any plans to add features at a later date, but we will almost certainly have to do an update here or there to fix some bugs or scoring errors later on. As far as adding features, I would point you to JLM's post immediately following yours.

Quoted from rai:

Nice to see insane scores, does it count up to and over 10Billion? (not that I'd ever get there LOL, just out of curiosity).

It does. In multiplayer, scores over 10Billion get cut off on the display by a digit, but it still tracks it just fine and will display the score after the game is over without any issues. We tested it out up to 100Billion (yes, a HUNDRED) and it keeps track of it. It may even go into the trillions, as far as memory resources go, but damn, if you're scoring into the trillions it's time to sell it and move on.

#61 9 years ago

OK, I'm dumb, what exactly are the lock targets used for? Locks (OK) that's at the claw(?) can or can the ball be locked at one of the holes also? and the balls are locked for what? I mean when you lock so many balls will a multi-ball start (which one)?

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Having a "complete" ruleset from the start does not prevent adding new features later on... I am sure some of us will come up with interesting new ideas.

so that means what? someone could add to the game like add another mystery award (mode), change the scoring, change the entire game rules?

#63 9 years ago

Looks like balls can be locked at the claw or the right eject.

Kevin has said in the past the game source will be released so if someone wanted to add or change anything to the game they could.

#64 9 years ago

After watching this video there is no way I'm giving up my spot. Thanks for your efforts Kevin and the whole Skit-B crew!!

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

After watching this video there is no way I'm giving up my spot. Thanks for your efforts Kevin and the whole Skit-B crew!!

+10000000000

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from oopsallberrys:

Looks like balls can be locked at the claw or the right eject.

OK but which multi-ball?

#67 9 years ago

Question:
Are there 4 flipper buttons or 3? I haven't seen this machine in person and I know there is a Hunt mode that is controled by another button on the side of the cabinet, but which side is the Hunt mode button on or are there dual Hunt mode buttons?
Also, are there any other uses for the hunt mode button(s), like if you press all buttons at once when there is a certain picture on the DMD, there could be a secret message... Similar to BSD durring game play when Dracula crosses his eyes or when Renfield is in prison. Thanks for the update.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Question:
Are there 4 flipper buttons or 3?

4 flipper buttons:
2 normal flipper buttons and
2 additional for the hunt selection.

#69 9 years ago

I can tell you that this game will forever have the best multiball music in pinball.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

OK but which multi-ball?

Kevin calls this the 'base multi-ball' mode in the video. Around 6 minutes in the video.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

Center shots: What about them??

You addressed that with:

Also, yes, the middle target cutout has been made smaller on the final playfields. This video was filmed on the same machine that you played at MGC (and MPE, LAX, TPF, etc...), which is why it looks somewhat dirty and a little battered in the video.

Great video!

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from oopsallberrys:

Kevin calls this the 'base multi-ball' mode in the video. Around 6 minutes in the video.

dug these rules from the older thread, here are the regular Multi-balls:

Quick Multiball:
- Awarded from Mystery
- Two ball
- Stackable
- All major shots score 10M apiece

Standard Multiball:
- Achieved by lighting and activating ball locks.
- Three ball
- Stackable
- Ramps and loops score jackpots of 25M once apiece. When all jackpots are cleared, Jungle Hole lights for 100M Super Jackpot. After Super is achieved, lower right eject will relight jackpots.

Hunt Multiball:
- Activates upon fourth successful Hunt shot.
- Stackable
- Three ball
- Single shot lights for 40M. After 5 seconds, another shot is added, but value of those shots drops to 30M. After another 5 seconds, another shot is added and drops the value by 10M again. This process continues until 4 shots are lit and the value bottoms out at 10M. Process starts over when a lit shot is made.

#74 9 years ago

This will be a LOL for me, when my 'good games' on my other pins are like 90,000,000 points, maybe 100M and here we have 100M super jackpot on a 'standard' multiball.

I love the rules as far as I can understand them, will really help in the home setting to fool around with various modes to achieve the biggest scores.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I know you pride yourself on the rules and this game on having complete rules out of the box, but is there any plans for additional rules at some point. I know we bag on Stern for making us wait, but sometimes it's nice to have an additional mode or feature to look forward to.

I like how Stern has some people so conditioned to be satisfied with only having partial code that when they get a game in which they can enjoy it as intended, from the beginning they're not sure what to make of it.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Wahchintonka:

I like how Stern has some people so conditioned to be satisfied with only having partial code that when they get a game in which they can enjoy it as intended, from the beginning they're not sure what to make of it.

Very true. I am encouraged by Stern showing during the last year that they will slowly but surely get code to where it needs to be. I had to wait a very long time for XM but in the end I'm very glad I did it is awesome Ropp did a great job with both wizard modes.

#77 9 years ago

After watching again a couple questions occurred to me.

1) What's with the ultra cool looking but seemingly unused Claymore, Scorpion, Grenade and Knife "inserts". I was always looking forward to what they'd do in mode. Were they planned but not implemented? Are they for identification of the shots?

2) Are the purple lamps under the ramps new?

3) What was the final call on the UV light source? The always on fluorescents? Did you ever get in touch with Old Pin Guy?

4) So, who among us are going to take one for the team and design the new plastics?

#78 9 years ago

Awesome ruleset. Fantastic job!!!

#79 9 years ago

Love the new vid. Excellent work, Kevin and the gang. I can't wait to get my game.

#80 9 years ago

Awesome job the video was well worth the wait! Appreciate all your hard work! "Get to the choppa!"

#81 9 years ago

I assume you can adjust the sound, voices seemed too quiet vs the music/sound effects.

#82 9 years ago

Not sure I understand Runaway mode, why do the points count up on the second loop?

#83 9 years ago

Holy crap! That video was freakin' awesome!

Bring on the game! Definitely glad I'm in on this.

#84 9 years ago

In case you all wanted to see the rules in written form Kevin gave them near the top and middle of this page :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-predator-info-thread/page/125

#85 9 years ago

The new GI makes the whole thing look so much better. I'm looking forward to seeing these in people's gamerooms!

#86 9 years ago

Have been following this pinball for awhile and after watching the gameplay video can say it really fleshes out the rules. It looks to be well executed and thought out even better than I realized. It looks like a ton of fun and this pin should definitely sell out.

#87 9 years ago

Some real unique scoring rules, pretty awesome.

The only thing I can think to ask right now is how is bonus determined? is it just switch hits? or modes played? or something else?

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Did you ever get in touch with Old Pin Guy?

He did, and while the UV Panel is great light, Kevin mentioned it wasnt the right wavelength

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

He did, and while the UV Panel is great light, Kevin mentioned it wasnt the right wavelength

Awe that sucks, it was worth a shot. Thanks oldpinguy for trying. If you happen to find the correct wavelength in a small uv light let us know I'd add it to my game in the apron for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing what mods people come up with for the game also.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

1) What's with the ultra cool looking but seemingly unused Claymore, Scorpion, Grenade and Knife "inserts".
2) Are the purple lamps under the ramps new?
3)Did you ever get in touch with Old Pin Guy?

1 - Just cool artwork from way early in development.
2 - Yes. Added a little colored lighting here and there to help out the aesthetic.
3 - OldPinGuy sent me some stuff to play with and now that I've messed with it for a while, I'm wanting to do something of a review video for them. It's pretty neat stuff, really intuitive, not just another LED.

Quoted from rai:

Not sure I understand Runaway mode, why do the points count up on the second loop?

Gives the mode some character and depth. Left loop is a count down from 30M, then right loop is a count up from the value of the left loop to 30M more. That sounds confusing as hell in text, so maybe some examples will help.
Hit the left loop at 30M, right loop will count up to 60M.
Hit the left loop at 15M, right loop will count up to 45M.
Hit the left loop at 12,375,260, right loop will count up to 42,375,260.
You have a couple seconds after the left loop bottoms out to hit it, and a couple seconds after the right loop maxes out to hit it. This way you can try to nail the left loop straight away for the thirty, then capture the ball on the left flipper and wait for the count up to max out and take your shot. The mode seems simple, but if you play it right you can net 90M in two shots.

Quoted from MagicMako:

The only thing I can think to ask right now is how is bonus determined? is it just switch hits?

Every time a switch is hit, the game remembers it for bonus. At the end of the ball when bonus is calculated, it gives you (number of switches hit) X (something like 12,500) X (bonus multiplier). In short, yes, it is just switch hits

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The UV panel is shockingly strong. I've been all up and down the avenues of UV LEDs and it is by FAR the brightest and strongest effect on standard stuff on the playfield (and other stuff in close proximity, as well), but unfortunately just didn't hit the wavelength to get a reaction from the playfield paint.

#91 9 years ago

Kevin, What is the status on production?

I am not looking for a date, but just an idea of what progress is being made.

Like many, I am anticipating/excited about getting my game and want to see some rolling off the line

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Kevin, What is the status on production?
I am not looking for a date, but just an idea of what progress is being made.
Like many, I am anticipating/excited about getting my game and want to see some rolling off the line

Kevin answered Kcpinball fan earlier in this thread when could we expect shipping to start, and Kevin answered him that an email was going out shortly to everyone with that information. I am not sure how to link to the post, but it was in the first set of Kevin's replies in this thread, just above a reply to a question you asked.

#93 9 years ago

thanks, missed that.

I guess I am looking forward to the email!

#94 9 years ago

Fantastic video to all that have put blood sweat and tears into this project. Can't wait to get my email.

#95 9 years ago

Looking forward to the release!!

#96 9 years ago

1 - Just cool artwork from way early in development.
2 - Yes. Added a little colored lighting here and there to help out the aesthetic.
3 - OldPinGuy sent me some stuff to play with and now that I've messed with it for a while, I'm wanting to do something of a review video for them. It's pretty neat stuff, really intuitive, not just another LED.

I dig the purple under the ramps.

About these tubes. Could you list what size / pin style / brand they are? I'm unfamiliar with UV fluorescent tubes specifically, but in general and in my experience (fish tank grow lights, etc...), fluorescent tubes begin to dim very quickly. Just me, but I hate them. Are they expensive? I see some listed at a couple of bucks, and others listed at $70+. Just wondering.

Anyone keeping a mod list for the game?

1) Alternate plastics?
2) Alternate return guides?
3) Apron UV rig?

#97 9 years ago

Congrats to Kevin, everyone got the video they wanted and clearly people are pleased with what they are seeing.

Kevin has replied three times to questions in this thread, so lets remember that when he soon disappears to bury himself in emails, and more importantly production. I believe 97.34% of the questions and concerns have now been answered/addressed. I know there were a few questions about 'swapping places' and 'combined shipping' and I'm sure Kevin will take a look at that when games start to ship.

I'm guessing the 'next game' thread will now get a little more activity.

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I dig the purple under the ramps.
About these tubes. Could you list what size / pin style / brand they are? I'm unfamiliar with UV fluorescent tubes specifically, but in general and in my experience (fish tank grow lights, etc...), fluorescent tubes begin to dim very quickly. Just me, but I hate them. Are they expensive? I see some listed at a couple of bucks, and others listed at $70+. Just wondering.
Anyone keeping a mod list for the game?
1) Alternate plastics?
2) Alternate return guides?
3) Apron UV rig?

All valid question here.....

#99 9 years ago

Do you have any pics of the UV lights (I mean the actual light or light tube)? Any high res pics at all of the game would be nice.

I don't see a problem with the plastics, except the bottom clear plastics which I think looks incomplete.

#100 9 years ago

Again, video is very well done. Excellent in fact - wish all pinball game manufacturers released a similar detailed walk through of rules. New bar has been set.

Respectfully though, the UV question is still outstanding as some of the last posters mention. I read Kevin's first reply in this thread clarifying the intro segments was new shots of the UV working. But in the gameplay in "killing spree" mode with lights out, I don't see it. I hate to be a negative sally - but UV is cool feature that feels still unanswered.

Does it work? Pics or video without a wand being waved overhead?

Replacement availability - fair question by navajas.

Gameplay is great and answered by the video. UV still uncertain on - sorry Kev not trying to start anything just excited about this feature. Hope you understand.

There are 1,373 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 28.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/predator-players-guide/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.