SingleMalts.jpg
head-in-sand.jpg
head-in-sand.jpg
crazy-5.jpg
sunglasses.gif
bush_mission_accomplished_uss_abraham_lincoln_reuters_img.jpg
untitled.png
happy-first-birthday.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider navajas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from Mtpacifico:

The production amount is what, 250? Not sure what the reason behind that number was (wanting to maintain a modest and reachable goal, available initial capital, etc), but if they prospect of assembling 250+ is something the company wouldn't be interested in then perhaps offering a kit option would allow them to surpass that initial 250 production run.
Just throwing out ideas to get more pins in collectors hands.
- Mike

Beat. To. Death. Raised from the dead. Then, beat. Back. To. Death. Four. More. Times.

Let's not rehash in this thread the 1000s of posts from the last two.

Deal?

JLM was production order #166, I was #161. I remember because my machine number is 166 and we joked about swapping. I'm guessing we're up in the low 100s?

EDIT: I'm not sure I'm digging the new location for Hopper. I guess it's a fix for ramp concerns, but since I never really shared those, I'm a little bummed. Anyone else?

#130 10 years ago

I've been digesting this video. Thoughts, questions?

1) As before, not sure I'm loving Hopper stuck in the back. Seems like kind of an after thought, as in, "We couldn't make this work where we wanted it as designed, but were pot committed, so we stapled him out back." Not a deal breaker, but I'd find discussion of the decision interesting.

2) Is the darkness of the center playfield during lit play a video artifact or lack of spots. I've become hyper aware of this because of my time on Oz.

3) The center stand ups are now standard circles, not the big chunkies. Any reason? To let the light through behind them under the plastic?

4) Am I crazy or is there an extra hole in the bottom right of the plastic covering the claw?

5) The GI on the return lanes is so awfully damn bright. I have ultra sensitive eyes. Any chance of post production jungle plastics or something? I was thinking back lit Predator script on them, you know like the red self destruct countdown or something, might be cool and save me a migraine or two!

6) Under the playfield looks like a clean layout with lots of space. Looks like a nice machine for someone like me who still has training wheels on when it comes to maintenance.

Looks really sweet. Regardless of longevity issues, seems like those glow balls are just way too perfect for this machine to not be auto buy. Kevin, how have yours' held up? Are they "recommended" or are you shipping the machine with them?

Finally, congratulations guys. You should be proud of your accomplishment!

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

They naturally reflect
huge amounts of UV light when in contact with black lights, even without
"charging" them first.

Looks to be the case to me. On a normal game they need to be charged to have much effect, but most games don't have a pair of huge UV banks. They will get brighter I'd imagine the longer you play (which is a pretty cool side effect) but they should pop immediately.

#199 10 years ago

As far as unanswered questions, I'd far prefer to have Kevin address the (need for?) skull drop point protection and ramp terminal bounce back than talk more about glow balls.

#201 10 years ago

Well, I guess, but, in the video the ramp also dips pretty significantly when the ball hits it.

Even so, I'm still more interested in bounce back. I was the first person to bring that up as something I hated WAY back in the original thread, which Kevin very much appreciated because he hates it too. In one of the very old videos there WAS no bounce back.

I can't take the time to go watch the video now, but someone above mentioned seeing some in this production machine. That would be disappointing.

#230 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Dang, feel pretty strongly about this do you?? lol. You really believe the glo-balls play so differently and will change your experience in a lighted ballroom that much?

We can harp on the Snow for being so blunt, but while I think there's little if any chance I'll buy a Predator without glow balls, he makes an extremely valid point. While my experience with Kevin was great, my playtime on the machine was very discouraging due to how it was set up (you can search for my write up and video if you want). I obviously know intellectually that how it was set up at Tacoma is VERY different than the current machine, but emotionally it's hard to shake how boring and easy my one play was. I'm good, but I should f'ing A not hit, let alone complete, a wizard mode on any machine cold.

Some reports of this game's play, especially from independent reviewers (not that I think SkitB would intentionally misrepresent their product, but how many parents you know would admit their kid's ugly or stupid?) in its gold state, with standard balls, regardless of how awesome the glowies look, would go a real damn long way to alleviating my concerns.

EDIT:

Quoted from Montu32:

The one thing I'm a bit or even massively gutted about ( the rest is great btw ) is the fact I feel I've lost a toy, the main toy for me and the biggest selling point after of course the franchise itself in Hopper. When you hit the ramp and the body swung definatly sold it for me. I like where it is and it looks great but it just feels like it's been neglected to me anyways.

Must admit, the more I think about Hopper being banished the more disappointed I feel. I really think hanging him there with a nice neodymium magnet for a brain would have been the way to go. Zero points of failure, and a great effect. :-/

Mod?

#245 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I love how you have evaluated the pinball, we agree on many aspects.
However, I disagree with you on the Hopper. I think it's location before was too obvious, or too prominent if you will. I think, now with it being back and by default 'higher' as well as the back of the game is higher. It gives the illusion of him being hung from a tree what is called the rainforest canopy. This is physically the highest point of the play field. Also, out of the way enough that it's more at the periphery of the game so that it's an ornament, but not the main focus of the game.
Plus being farther back gives the illusion of being in the distance and it's smaller size than the skull in the foreground blends better as small object in the distance. I know these are not size appropriate, but just as in a picture farther away things get smaller, I think that this is the best overall placement (as well as the prior placement was quite out of place to me).

I can dig that I guess.

Quoted from SkitBPinball:

Looking into the skull drop as I mentioned, and I honestly haven't noticed much bounce-back from the ramp exits. I'll have to take a closer look at that, as well, as you mentioned, that is a big pet-peeve of mine.

Kevin, at 4:41 there are two returns on the right lane, both from the VUK. The first performs exactly as hoped and drops right down, the second had a pretty good sized bounce back. I had thought maybe the good drop was from the VUK and the bounce was from a made ramp shot due to higher velocity, but not the case.

Glow ball inconsistency? Might want to test the returns with regular vs. glow balls. Of course, could just be Chaos.

For what it's worth.

#250 10 years ago

God damn. If I put my critical thinking cap aside for the moment (which is a LOT easier to type than do for me) and just let the video roll, one thing just always punches me in the face. Can I get a big huge "Fucking A!" for this game's sound and music integration?

EDIT: Still don't like the WAH WAH WAH jackpot noise though.

EDIT 2: Speaking of (or not as was the case), what color glow balls are folks thinking? If red shows up well enough that'd be my pick. Three red dots and all that, eh what? Plus it'd look better with the UV off. Also, who's working on that laser mod?

#288 10 years ago

Mine will probably say, "I should have spent this on the mortgage."

#355 10 years ago

Man. Having met these guys I sure hope if there was a split it was amicable. I believe they've been friends for decades. :-/

#356 10 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

Little update for you guys
» YouTube video

Haha. That looks nasty. You may have just been added to some watch list.

#359 10 years ago

Vertebrae.

Just sayin'.

#373 10 years ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

It's a wrap Predator Toys are done!!!
Final Parts finished and ready to ship out tomorrow.
» YouTube video

I better not get the wet one with finger prints!!!

#387 10 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Wish I could see some pics of the fully loaded playfield sometime soon. Anyone have those? I like all Matt's stuff but on the fence if I like the "siders".

Especially since a lot of us need to consider space as a big issue.

#510 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

This is the whole problem with Pin collecting today...the machines are seen as a stock or commodity. Game not that good? Aw shucks, don't worry, the volume is low so you can always dump it...I mean, a bad car is a bad car, nobody cares if they made a few of them or not...Why is a bad pin, with low numbers still valuable? I just don't get it. Again, not saying this pin is bad, but there's just this odd-world mentality in the pinworld that scarcity = value no matter the game. That may have been true 15 years ago, but times have changed. With so many GREAT pins coming out and more pins being made now than in the last 10 years or so, the market will begin to place value on quality, not scarcity. Stern isn't stopping, JJP isn't stopping...and now that prices are reaching $8K as the new standard for all LE's, this is a damn expensive hobby. It's a rich man's hobby now boys.

Dude, you forgot to swap accounts again. This argument is the HoP persona's.

Goofin' on this guy aside, I am now, officially, worried. If you take the single somewhat detailed review of gameplay from this weekend, and compare it with the review of my single play, they are remarkably similar. (EDIT: It's on this page---> http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-predator-info-thread/page/93#post-923841) All the way from the ease of gameplay, lack of challenge or "hook", to how interested, friendly and committed Kevin, and at that time, Aaron were. The only thing markedly different is that he says it was hard to hear, where as amid the cacophony that was the Tacoma show it was the loudest fucking thing on the floor.

I dig everything positive folks are saying, and everything mitigatory. It IS cool, it IS a dream theme, it does have lots of pluses, but for me and my tiny budget, tiny space and tiny collection, it also has to be fun as hell to play, AND, importantly, have serious legs. I'm way less concerned about tech issues. In fact, tech issues at a show don't worry me a bit. A third of the games at any show of any age from any manufacturer have problems.

The game being easy, redundant and/or boring? That's troublesome.

I really want to hear Ghostbuster's review. (Sorry man, can never remember your name. Not my fault you built that masterpiece!)

#513 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

If boring because the PF layout is bad, yes, that's troublesome. If boring because one finds the rules too easy, that will be an easy fix! I swear we will work on this - with feedback from the community one should increase difficulty and depth in a relatively straightforward manner. Anytime one comes up with an interesting rule alteration, others can test it and approve. Guess there will be "validated" or "untested / in progress" game versions available in parallel.

Yeah, I hear you man, it's just worrisome. But Kevin's had access to this layout for years, he has really good ideas and thematic tie ins for his rules. He also describes the rule set very well. It doesn't seem to be matching up with game play. Stacking, lots of modes, lots of multiballs, hunts, it all sounds great, but depth doesn't matter much if, with so few shots to make, you can activate everything just by keeping the ball in play.

Dude, wizard mode completed: First play! I was, and to some point am still willing to be, convinced that was due to how easy the game was set up in Tacoma. But, when I start hearing pretty much echos of that a year later, well. I start to worry.

I am hopeful and ready to be proven wrong. Someone, please do so.

#520 10 years ago
Quoted from Wahchintonka:

Did you not see, on the same page when you posted your review of the game that Skit-B came on Pinside to say that the game was purposefully set a way that made the game very easy as they were trying not to break their prototype?

Did you not see where I admitted that IN my review within the first 50 characters? And then reiterated and stressed that repeatedly in the thread pages that followed? And then reinforced that allowance again even on this thread?

While there have been several reviews of the pin, either the person playing was not knowledgeable about the rules, the pin, and/or Skit-B, the review was done on a prototype version or the review was not very detailed. It would take multiple, knowledgeable, detailed negative reviews for us to drop out considering once we are out there is no getting back in.

I have been a student of this game a LONG time man. I knew the rules just fine, and smoked this machine so bad it was boring in one play, so bad my then seven year old who hardly goes a day without drawing up a new pinball design was bored watching it. Yes, as I stressed over and over again, this was on a game MADE to be easy. However, we are to believe that this game being played this weekend IS a manufacture candidate and people's initial impressions of this machine, about a year later, are very similar.

That is worrisome. And, that is all I'm saying.

What's YOUR review like tonka? What was YOUR first impression? I WANT to be wrong, but so far, everyone who plays comes on here and says something pretty similar, even accounting for the douchebaggy "let's shit on Predator cause it's funny" crowd.

Come on Betelguese, spill it dude. You're a long timer with a critical mind as well. We need you here.

#525 10 years ago

You'll get my review when we get our machine. My point is a review of a prototype is useless and the reviews that we have been given of the master candidate each fall into one of the three groups I listed earlier. You may want to base your decision on incomplete information, but I don't like to do that.

I'm basing my opinion on, precisely now, as complete of information as is possible to obtain, the only thing tangible we have. Your basing your opinion, else concluding one is neither warranted nor necessary, on speculation, faith, and hoping for the best.

You're stating you're going to wait to form any kind of opinion until AFTER you've made a $5000 purchase and wearing that like a badge. You may be comfortable with that, you may have the funds for that, but I sure as hell don't.

#526 10 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

But they said the game was done, am I right?

Yes. According to Skit-B, the machine is as intended game play wise. Obviously tech issues aside.

In this case I am. A gameplay review of a pin that purposefully altered to play differently than it is supposed to. That would be like Motor Trend reviewing the performance of Nissan's specially made GTR Jukes and then applying that review to the normal series.
Testing prototypes is very necessary to work out kinks and bugs but there is a reason official reviews are only done on finished products. A review during the prototype phase only serves to misinform.

You really don't care how many times I've stated these exact same sentiments do you? Dude, the point is, AFTER a year of development, and ON a machine that is supposed ready to go, people are voicing the same concerns I had ages ago.

That's not a done deal, it doesn't mean the machine is doomed, but if that doesn't cause some concern I don't think you're being fair with yourself.

#531 10 years ago

I don't have enough hubris in me to suggest that people base their purchase on my review, and I'm thinking you won't find me implying otherwise. I'm saying, it's "worrisome" (while you contend it's meaningless), that players of a machine said by the manufacturer to be gold are reporting the same type of things that I did after playing on a machine rigged to be easy. To me, that might imply an issue intrinsic to the table regardless of rule set. That's the concerning part.

If you understand that, then I'm not sure what your problem with me stating such is. If you don't understand that, I'm not sure what will help you to do so. Either way, I guess we're done here.

#544 10 years ago

Thanks Brian. That's, once again, pretty much exactly what my take away was from Tacoma last year: Super cool bells and whistles, amazing sound, but easy to complete, even with technical issues, and with relentless ball times.

*sigh*

Well. There's always the next show. Here's to that folks!

#582 10 years ago

Yes, from the beginning the UV has been not only a stated design element, but an important "sell" for the machine. It's genius if they pull it off, and unfortunately a massive disappointment if it fails. This table needs all the cool bells and whistles it can get. I'm wondering if those dinky little LEDs have the guts to pull off the effect. When it pops in demo vids, it's always a big hand held flood.

#597 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Are they using UV LEDs to light it? Because frankly UV LEDs suck balls. They're really practically useless.

In other videos the light banks look like a whole bunch of tiny LEDs in the cab. For up close looks, when it really jumps out, it's a handheld fluorescent tube. I don't worry about their video play through not showing the ink, those overly way too bright pure white LEDs would wash out anything as subdues as UV ink. Eye witness reports are the concern.

#621 10 years ago

The game at the show over the weekend had Hopper in his new position at the back of the cabinet. I'd say it's pretty clear this is the machine we saw in the "Mission Complete" video.

My guess has to be, since that's all we can do, that those mini lights aren't dropping enough UV on the field for the effect to pop. Does that hamper the cool achievement system? No. The sound? No? Does it effect the playfield in isolation? Not really. But does it effect game play? I'd say yes, of course it does. Obviously it's not a matter of rules or ramp position or physics, but gameplay to me encompasses the entire experience, which is why it's not much fun to play whiteboards, or games without any sound. It's part of the package, it's part of the draw, it's part of the fun.

I will be very disappointed if this effect just sort of gets lost in the shuffle.

Dillon: "Hopper. They did the same thing to Jim Hopper..." Ha!

When is the next show scheduled? Anyone?

2 weeks later
#872 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

dang it... i couldn't help myself
mylittlepony-predator.jpg 18 KB

Annnnd....

This image finally shows up for the 32nd time in Predator thread #4.

Quota met.

#891 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Looks like they have a big ass UV tube in there now, wasn't that LEDs before? Should see a noticeable improvement from that.

Yes, yep, and yes.

#910 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I am predicting that all gameplay issues at TPF will be dismissed as being the fault of Glo-Balls and all UV issues will be attributed to the lighting at the show. We still won't know anything more about the game. Right now I'm taking the lack of reviews, photos, videos, etc as a bad sign. Nobody wants to report bad news to this group, at least not based just on their initial impressions. They would probably be pretty quick to chime in if the game kicked ass.

++

We've got folks new to the thread scared they're going to get flamed just for posting their opinion. That's not a sign of a healthy thread, community or discussion.

My concerns are the above, and the seemingly unending streak of decent, but admittedly not world class players, who are coming away from their very first game saying it's too easy to be much fun. How many shows go by before either something about those reports change (perhaps along with the playfield), or folks like Tonka, who insist such reports are meaningless or pointless, start to take notice?

My clock is definitely ticking. Regardless of whether Kevin agrees with the play critique, he's undoubtedly learned a lot from it. Because SO much of Predator IS so good, Skit-B #2 seems to be a increasingly attractive proposition.

#928 10 years ago

BTW, I am not a freaking truck toy. I am astounded at your audacity in assuming everyone should have the exact same opinion that you do and that everybody should be worried at this point. No, most of the "reviews" from Louisville do not have me concerned. I'm an adult and I can form my own fraking opinion.

Even though I'm not going to attempt once again to address what I might at this point have to assume is your intentional obtuseness, if I have offended you with the "Tonka" moniker I am, straight up, honestly, 100% and in all ways unequivocally sorry. I thought I had read you yourself use that short hand in previous threads. Unsolicited nicknames are extremely insulting and one of my very worst pet peeves.

It will not happen again Wahchintonka.

#957 10 years ago

Wow, this is all very encouraging to hear, especially about the difficulty. It was great to hear the interview with Kevin, so thanks to both he and Bakushan!

Most encouraging: Kevin talking about no longer being able to endlessly run modes. That must have been part of the ease I experienced in Tacoma. Love seeing the new mega huge UV banks.

I'm very much looking forward to more reviews, especially by folks familiar with the code and layout.

Thanks again to all reviewers!

#970 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Yeah I see your point, but it seems incomplete how it is now. Would be kind of weird to need come up with a mod for it to look complete.

++

Forgot about that in the vid. Yes, please God (but Kevin will have to do), plastics on the return guides.

EDIT: Forgot to mention... did see some bounce back on the right right return. :-/

#975 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jguynes
I was told this is the final setup. You will learn all this in the 2 videos I just linked.

I do believe you promised a review after the show was over good sir.

#985 10 years ago

I don't have the authority to say one way or another.

Just make it sexy.

#995 10 years ago
Quoted from Marc:

Layout: Not really impressed and it has issues. It is basic and really and has a late 80’s feel. .

A very long time ago after seeing the white wood I said something like, "It looks like a game that was designed to look like it had come out when the movie did, but with modern tech", and Kevin said I had totally nailed it. It IS supposed to have a late 80s feel. (In theory I have no problem with that at all since a lot of my favorite game are from the same era.) I guess the extension of that is if Skit-B has also nailed the "modern tech" part? The rules, UV, DMD, sound and account tracker I would imagine are intended to fulfill that role.

At this point, I have a hard time arguing that the lighting isn't ill-advised and perhaps just flat out bad. I would VERY much appreciate an alternate scheme with either warms, or greens / blues, or... something. Anything more jungley and less "SHOP AT STORE MART" billboard marquis.

I was disappointed from the moment I saw the plastics. Just too, uhm..., clip art .gif-ish for me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the now dis-involved Aaron in charge of the plastics? Something to think about I guess.

Regardless, I'm still in. I might be wobbling dangerously on the fence, but I think there's still more to learn about this project before an informed decision can be made.

EDIT: By the way, the reason the standups look so sparse / out of place, is that they were originally the big chubbies, not the rounds. I think you're right, when the change of hardware happened, a case could definitely have been made to add a third. Of course, that would have involved coding...

#998 10 years ago

Damnit. You know. I just keep coming back to what my, dang, I guess seven year old back then, pointed out: Take away the wall shot and the Merlin *targets* (I always hesitate to call things no one in their right mind ever shoots for "targets"), flip the catapult over to the other side, and the shot map here is really close to the basic fan of MM, complete with dangerous (though obviously a lot less cool) center target. That's still true, so why the perception that this game's table is comparatively featureless?

I still wish, understanding the back hand design concept, there was one more thing to shoot forehand with the right flipper (the missing wall shot from MM). Left has four primary shots, right has half that. :-/

Hell and damnation, I really need to play this thing again.

#1002 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Currently, the GI lighting needs to be changed. I have spent a great deal of time learning how to LED a game properly and Predator appears to be just too damn bright. I would like to see some WARM frosted premiums in lower GI with sparse amount of colored bulbs to be sure not to color bomb while still adding flare. Currently the game is too cool in light choice. The jungle should feel warm and moist with lush green foilage. The game plastics are predominantly green and warm bulbs do a better job lighting up cool spectrum colors.
The plastics do appear to have art of much lower quality than the pf. The detail is just not there and plastics should be something critically evaluated and likely still modifiable at this stage. Kevin, if you are not sure of this, then how about providing some of us with the current design files and letting us do some tweaks to see what we can come up with? There is the possibility that the community of 250 can help be part of an improvement. In conjunction, the inlane guides really should have plastics. It is a small aspect that still seems unfinished.

At the Tacoma show I saw an utterly gorgeous ice world theme on Whitewater. It had pretty a similar take on GI as Predator. Haha. Something's wrong there.

As much as I think the plastics contribute to the "homebrew" feel that cause complaint, I guess I would be amazed if there aren't 100s of these things sitting in boxes at Kevin's shop. As pro as some of the machine looks, more than anything else, I'm just so very surprised the art on these plastics ever got the go ahead. I think people toss around the, "Har har, that looks like my kid drew it!", line way too often... but, uhm, I have an 8 and a 5 year old. They really do have color books that look a lot like those plastics.

Without having played it in its newest incarnation, my only list of changes that would seem to me to have a very high return on investment would be; 1) Lighting and, 2) Plastics. I could rest a lot easier with Hopper's banishment if the rest of the field was little more, mmm, polished? It should be stated that changing the lighting may very well in some ways address the plastics as well.

EDIT: Just watched the "Complete" video again. Forgot how cool those green flashers look.

EDIT2: Are we assuming the reason the UV banks are now always on is because as florescent they'd never *snap* on as required for game play? Also, with where the UV banks are, the ramps are directly infront of them. Given how they light up when hit, might they be soaking up a lot of the energy and creating a UV "shadow" right in the middle of the table?

I can't think of any way around that. A couple of spots pointed popward on the slings? Maybe an additional on the standup bank point toward the flippers? Anyone?

EDIT3: Can anyone who played this weekend comment on the user controlled orbit, both in function and strategic implementation as it applies to the rules. Savvy? I mean, it's one thing if it works, but there needs to be a good reason to use it or not. Right? Kevin might be the best person to answer that one.

#1009 10 years ago
Quoted from Rick471:

I asked, "What about Predator?" He shook his head and just said, "Nah."
I understand he is only 8, but the kid plays a lot of pinball at home. The excitement factor wasn't there for him.
What to do...what to do?!

I had a very similar experience with my own pinball son, admittedly after only playing the prototype in Tacoma. He watched my one and only game, probably 15 minutes or so. There were guys behind me in line of course, so after I beat feet when my last ball finally drained we went to do other stuff. Later in the show I asked if he wanted to go have a turn on the machine and he said, "Nah".

:-/

#1014 10 years ago

Four out of four Ghostbusters agree, it's spelled "Zuul".

#1016 10 years ago
Quoted from vster23:

I have to say I am not a fan of the plastics either. I am a fan of the playfield but the it's like they switched artists for the leaves

Fairly certain Kevin said they did.

Quoted from vster23:

I don't care if they don't make deadlines, just make the best Predator they can no matter how long it takes.

+1

#1025 10 years ago
Quoted from Zuel:

Awww, you poor baby. That's the spelling used for a popular strain of deep CA bud. It's not your fault you didn't get it!!!!!

I guess I'm just not cool enough to hang out with Californian stoners. Somehow, I'll struggle on.

Quoted from crlush:

The uv looked awesome glowing the ramps but there's no way your going to see any uv paint with all the lighting in the room. I think as much as it lights up the ramps that I would take Kevins word that in a dark room it will pop out at you.

How much would it cost to rig a little black curtain tent around it? You know? Like a hospital partition type of deal, or, one of those enclosures at science museums for viewing glowy minerals? You could have a county fair barker out front telling people in to get line for their chance to look behind the curtain.... if they DARE!!!!

But seriously. Some clothing racks and black cloth? Out of the question?

#1089 10 years ago
Quoted from GrueLurks:

Predator shot from the Michigan Pinball Expo (MPE)
IMG_0104.png 731 KB

Very cool looking image, but one which I think highlights that as of now, Predator, with its setting that is supposed to make Cambodia look like Kansas, instead has a sort of Fremont Street Experience vibe to it:
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/03/27/lights8-16_9.jpg

Still pleading for alternate lighting scheme.

#1135 10 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

maybe its just me. but. anyone else have issues with the two targets right smack bang in the middle of the PF ?

Nope. First we've heard of it.

#1141 10 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

It's playing really well and I finally got a pretty decent score.......
S__EA79.jpg 115 KB

Uhm... should we tell him?

#1156 10 years ago
Quoted from Half_Life:

Appreciate the honest feedback. Thanks.
After reading many reviews, both biased and unbiased I am glad I'm getting this game. I don't expect it to be perfect in each and every detail, no game is.

Just wondering which reviews were biased? Do you mean like Kevin's or something?

#1163 10 years ago

Great review on all points. Thanks!

It seems that even the most positive reviews remain very disappointed on a few common points:

1) Plastics
2) Lighting
3) UV

As subjective as gameplay can be it's understandable how much opinions vary, but it's very encouraging to read a consistently improving general impression. Since the above three are basically ubiquitous, hopefully Skit-B still has the ability / will to address them.

Thanks again for taking the time Whysnow!

#1165 10 years ago

I still wonder about a UV shadow past those ramps. Imagine trying to light something in the middle of the playfield with visible light and opaque ramps. Does that make sense? I wonder what it'd look like with wire forms. I know, I know, pointless.

#1168 10 years ago
Quoted from Half_Life:

"I don't play the UV ink".

Right, and that's a valid sentiment from certain points of view. The thing is, very soon after he writes that, he mentions that the UV actually IS somewhat part of gameplay insofar as the blood trails were designed to illuminate the hunt shots when the game blacks out. That seems to have been glossed over by most people as they wave off the importance of what was supposed to have been a defining characteristic of the machine. I was glad to see Whysnow bring it up.

#1234 10 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

The middle target shots being compared to Dracula. Dracula's are WAYYYYY higher on the playfield.

Does everyone who complains about the center targets hate Black Knight / Black Knight 2000? Not preaching, just wondering. I know 2000 isn't everyone's favorite game of all time (it's easily one of mine), but I don't usually hear folks complaining it's unplayable or irreparably broken. When I tick off the list of things that worry me about this purchase, the center targets are a total non-issue.***

http://ci-cdn.23bits.com/46/48/ci-120511141127-960.jpg

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2013/177.jpg

*** Let me rephrase that. They are a non-issue as an intended game play element. There being only two little round targets in a space designed, both visually and mechanically, to hold two great big square targets... that's annoying. If you'll note in the picture above, the ball's stuck between them (on an older build, perhaps this has been addressed, though I'd prefer the original squares in any case).

#1268 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Unfortunately that would be dramatically different than what was the original agreement and likely would not work for many people.
The original argeement is $250 deposit, half of remainder when the game is ready to be produced and the other half when the game is ready for delivery. They have said they will be building in batches of 10-20 games so I can not imagine them asking for money from more than 40-60 people, which would allow them to build the original batch plus the next 2 or 3 batches so they can keep things moving. They also need to demonstrate that they are able to build the production game and get a batch into hands of paid owners relatively quickly if they want to maintain the business model they have been putting forth.
Hopefully they will provide some better clarification and communication SOON. They promised a video prior to MGC and that did not happen so at minimum they should be letting peopel know when they will see a video and a final procution game. Kevein pointed out that there are some changes to the one from MGC so I would assume we can all see those changes and the "real" completed game before actually sending in more $$?

As much as I want to see Skit-B succeed, I have to admit that Kevin asking for final payments from people without the promised video, and the constructive feedback and reasonable questions brought up in this thread being met without any response for 18+ days (not that I'm counting!), is probably more disappointing than what could be assumed at this point to be the nearly complete failure of the UV effect.

Even a complete rejection of criticism along the lines of, "Lighting, plastics and UV are all in their final state, and no changes are going to happen. I don't have time to provide the list with the video previously promised. I think the game is kick ass and that's good enough for me. I hope everyone enjoys their purchase.", would be appreciated because at least we'd know where the project stands.

#1285 10 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

A black-light feature not being prominent in a lighted expo hall most certainly does not indicate a "complete failure" by any means.

Certainly not, but, we have reports on this thread that even in "near dark" it is not showing up enough to be considered even close to prominent, especially the blood trails which are the "functional" part of the effect. In fact, no one at all, aside from Skit-B, has reported the effect as a success.

I would absolutely LOVE a video (which I gave early could be understandably hard to engineer), or reports from customers in a home environment or perhaps at a show after playing cloaked in a draped booth or something, that proves the above moot. Until then, it's hard to categorize something no one has yet seen as a "success".

#1299 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thoughts?
For any game, maybe Glow Plastic protectors...or even maybe game specific decal/overlay in UV reactive.....
Sorry, I am a child of the 60's...Black lights, Lava Lamps, Woodstock...I just like UV....

I'm a child of a child of the 60s and I certify the above ideas as bad ass.

#1323 10 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

What do you guys expect to see what you have not Seen before?

1) The UV effect, in play.
2) That the orbit deflector, works.
3) That the pop sound effect is not seriously delayed, or, if it is intended to be so.
4) A complete game showing skilled play. Annotated for rules utilized would be awesome. (* see below for a great example of what this could look like.)

Apart from that, and given that things HAVE changed since the game was "complete", I'd like some definitive official statement from Skit-B about what may still change, especially given the nearly unanimous disappointment in lighting and plastics. We know now the UV is still in play despite payments due in two weeks.

*This is a good example of a "boutique" pin video. I totally understand that for Predator either extremely tricky lighting would need to be worked out, OR, heavy edits to show the game in lit play, and perhaps a completely different video to show the UV in play.

(Great video of both the glory of bald heads, and a pinball machine.)

#1334 10 years ago
Quoted from HomeBrew:

From reading your posts I think you are just looking for a way out of buying the Predator pinball machine.

Oh really? Wow, you sure know a lot about me.

Quoted from Xerico:

1) Agreed
2) Not sure on the previous issue. Please elaborate

We've had two or three reviews report that the orbit deflector is not working as *they* thought it would. Now, this could be unfamiliar play with the system, or, well, not. Having video of a skilled player narrate his game and say, "Here I will keep the post up and deflect this orbit shot into the pops, and here I will keep it down and take it on the flipper", would answer such concerns.

Quoted from Xerico:

3) I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary while playing this at TPF, but to be fair, I didn't know to to focus on this.
4) HELL YES!!!!! That video for WOOLY was amazing!! That's how all Pinballs should be announced to the world. Amazing!
Marcus

#1366 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I remember a conversation like this quite a while ago. When Kevin first started it was..."We're all behind you!", Don't worry, take as long as you have to to get it right." Every day was a love-fest. THEN, the Money Thing happened.
What?! Missed deadline! Grrrr! No video when I want it! Grrrr! He wants money NOW! Grrrrr! "Let's get him boys!!"
.....er, I digress.....Can't wait for Allentown!

Ted, I can't speak for the rest of us heartless, fire breathing, piling on, meanie pants, lynch mob, trolling assholes, but all I'm asking for is what Kevin agreed to provide: a video of the game in the state in which it will ship, showing the features in perfect working order that were always and forever said to be included therein. As you correctly point out, any deadline for providing such has been self imposed by Skit-B, not a bunch of haters.

I'm happy to wait as long as it takes to see said video... as long as I'm not asked for $5000 before the manufacturer can provide the above. Personal opinion is too subjective and too open to bias to be the basis of a decision. What WOULD help is the game showcased in a professional way by the company that knows it best, highlighting all the features in the most flattering way. It's marketing. Show us the glam shot, give us the spiel, let folks decide based on the actual product, not the dreams or worries of super fans or detractors. Then, let's get the game built, in the world, played and move on to #2.

I don't see how that is hateful, unfair, aggressive, unreasonable, mean spirited, shitty or illogical. Yes, people blindly send in piles of cash to Stern and JJP. Why is this any different?

Because it's obviously different.

#1371 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

including pix and videos.

LIES!

#1384 10 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

Well, I've read these pissing and moaning threads long enough. Think about it. You want a video of the game in the state in which it will ship. You have not gotten that video yet. Therefore, shouldn't you be able to conclude that the game is not yet in the state in which it will ship? Plastics, UV, LEDs... I am sure that final tuning is taking place, and is taking some time. Kevin's deadline may be sliding,(as does JJP, Stern,...) but it isn't the end of the world if there are more delays. I'm sure there are some capital expnditures that now requires some folks to start paying up. If you don't want to pay up, move on and shut up.
Also, I'm sure Kevin is busy trying to market this pin and his business at the shows. That involves time, travel and expense. There's only so many hours in a day, so I am not surprised that his progress may not be as fast as you are expecting. With so many things to do, they can't all be completed simultaneously.
So, I don't have my Predator yet, but the family isn't starving as a result. This is not organ transplant I am waiting for. I am happy to patiently wait until Kevin has the product ready. I'd rather it be done right than done quick.
We need the best. That's why you're here.

http://www.funenglishgames.com/readinggames.html

Quoted from DreamTR:

I've never blindly paid for a pinball from Stern. The game is out and available around 2 weeks after it is officially announced. Jersey Jack still has not fullfilled all their preorders and you can buy the game now from a distributor and get it before some people who pre-ordered?

No, you're right. I was including Stern because of the year long (+?) wait for code, but for sure, JJP is a far better example of what I mean. I'll leave my mistake unedited for posterity.

#1409 10 years ago

There was a really good synopsis of current reactions to the game making the rounds posted on Pinball Revolution by Drano:

-gameplay was great and fairly challenging (but different). Lots of focus on the sides of the playfield while trying to avoid the middle (think BSD)
-lighting is way too harsh. lots of guys calling for warm white GI and not so bright. Spoils the dark jungle theme a bit
-sound is incredible and really amplifies the experience
-UV tubes look like an afterthought (which they are). Hopefully they'll get 'dressed' somehow. The UV effect is still non-existent.
-'Hopper' figure looks a bit unifinished and just dangles there for no apparent reason
-VUK is awesome. Claw is a neat feature
-plastics look low res and 'homebrew'
-playfield looks great
-cabinet and art package look awesome
-video captures for the DMD are really well done
-the game layout and feel seems to be a bit of a throwback. simple layout and shots... but backed up with smart code and fun modes

Pretty good summary at this point I think.

#1467 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Will Kevin let us swap production numbers....??

Jury's out on that.

#1524 9 years ago

Most Haunted: Thank goodness the playfield is so bland and unattractive, especially the open middle 2/3rds, or my decision would be a lot harder. If it was as good as the rest of that machine I may have already dropped this for it. The rules seems deep, the game looks fun, the extra $1k seems easily justified with interactive toys, metal ramps, magnets, 1 year warranty, etc... But damn. Those clip art looking silhouettes pasted in front of the photo realistic moon, the lame inserts... Just doesn't come together for me at all. That said, I still see it as an option while I wait patiently for the Predator video.

#1533 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I may be in the minority, but I actually really like Most Haunted's playfield artwork! It's fairly simple but I like the choice of colors and the insert placement/layout. I think it looks nicer than a lot of Stern games and looks even better in person.

I don't think anything's wrong with the palette, and I haven't seen it in person. Hopefully they'll be one in Tacoma this year because it looks like an absolute blast.

#1597 9 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

So - If you must see a finished Video on Predator go to ModMyPin.com . Best one I've seen and includes the Glo-Balls . Maybe someone can bring the link to the Video here !

#1630 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Since day 1, this game has been nothing but a justified excuse to own it. If they were making 5,000 units of this game, as is...nobody would own. It's only being bought due to rarity...not because it's a good game. Anyone disagree?

#1648 9 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Unfortunately, if he didn't make comments, this thread would not nearly be as full, nor entertaining to read! Don't ban him....I like to read his comments!

I've written that exact same sentiment about HoP a couple of different times. Wait, you folks ever notice how Clark's never in the office when Superman is saving Metropolis? It's almost as if... you don't think...

Nah. Couldn't be. Clark wears glasses.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider navajas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/predator-pinball-mission-complete?tu=navajas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.