SingleMalts.jpg
head-in-sand.jpg
head-in-sand.jpg
crazy-5.jpg
sunglasses.gif
bush_mission_accomplished_uss_abraham_lincoln_reuters_img.jpg
untitled.png
happy-first-birthday.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kcpinballfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#25 10 years ago

Now we're talking. New Predator thread and a finished machine. I want to get some of those glow in the dark pinballs. I'll send you some extra money if you throw a set of those in with my machine when it ships Kevin. Cool video btw. Great job getting it together a lot sooner than I anticipated.

#160 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

So, Kevin...how do you like the Skull/Spine Top...er, Siders for the machine?

Someone needs to mod some knarly hooks out the side that holds those spines instead of those rods.

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

I really dig it. It's really the meanest pinball mod out there. I ordered two for my machine already. I'm hoping to have one (if not both) of them by the time we hit the road with this thing to really show off how gnarly and awesome it is.Thanks, Iceman, great to have you on board I don't want to speak for others here or give false information, but I am under the impression that the spines will be held by more of a low-profile bracket of some sort, not rods. Honestly haven't talked much about them since Chicago when I got to see the first one, so I might be wrong here.

Ah ok, I ordered the two myself, how could I not? They are just badass and you dont see that kind of stuff on pinball machines.

Now I just need a gruesome topper to tie it all together.

#254 10 years ago

Are there no lights in the pops intentionally? I agree with others that the lack of a plastic on the return lane looks unfinished same as the pops.

#281 10 years ago
Quoted from vster23:

Kevin, For the award for level 3(payment in full)Can it be an alternate translite with signatures instead of the exact same translite with signatures. Maybe the previous translite design with arnold on it or better yet a Predator with the mouth open?

+1 for the alternate. Great idea

#353 10 years ago

Well that sucks if it's true. Hope they didn't have a falling out.

#409 10 years ago

Hey Kevin if you read this think of coming up with a alt translite for the early payoff people thats made with backlight colors. Just a suggestion.

#467 10 years ago

Well I hope Im not dumping 5 large into a dud

I may just end up dropping it and getting something else.

#609 10 years ago

I doubt he has two built already. My guess is thats the game from the finished video. Im back on the fence about staying in on this game. I also already paid in full, I hope I can get a refund if I have to.

2 weeks later
#849 10 years ago

Please anyone who's attending the tpf take as high definition video and pictures as you can. Also anyone playing predator on the list or not please give your unbiased review of the game, from speed of play, difficulty, rules and how they tie into the game, sound, lighting, and dot matrix display. Also overall impressions of the game from artwork to hardware and feel(if it feels solid like Williams pins or kinda light and cheaper feel like Stern pins. This is probably the last chance I give the game before I ask for a refund.

Things I'm really wanting in the game: this game needs to be difficult or at the very least easily set up more difficult by ways of coin door settings. It has to have replayability. Sound and light show are very important to me. It needs to have satisfying shots I do not want a game where the shots are easily mastered in a few plays. Also I don't want a linear ruleset where if I master one or two shots I can obliterate the game. This games needs to feel like 5 grand. It sounds a little pushy of me but at the end of the day the money I've spent on predator meant I had to put up with a lot of bs at work.

So please anyone rating the game be as honest as possible and if you don't feel comfortable being completely honest in a post because you're afraid to get flamed send me a private message I'd love to hear your take.

#857 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I just need to know if the toy looks cool and there are shiny lights....

Youre easy to please

#934 10 years ago

I watched the interview video and I feel a lot better about staying in on the game. I still really want to hear some more reviews though and see a nice hd video of gameplay. I think I may come up with a better place to put the dual skull and spines though. Im intrigued about the second game by skit-b. Also kevin if you read this get some sleep man you look exhausted. Im really digging how mmr has come out too.

Anyway, anyone that's puts some time on the game chime in with a review when you get some free time, ill love you long time lol.

#962 10 years ago

I still think the inlane guides need plastics. The plastics could be the same section of artwork that is below it.

#1004 10 years ago

Why couldn't there be slots cut into the front of the apron and add uv tubes there to shine up the playfield then the side uv could be changed back to what it was?

#1049 10 years ago

Was a video supposed to be posted by kevin this weekend or next?

#1051 10 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

He was hoping to do it after the MI expo but I am guessing since he will be heading out to MGC soon afterwards it might not happen until after MGC.

Ah, okay, thanks for the heads up.

#1058 10 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

Production Launch 2day!!!! F&@# yeah!

I thought Kevin was gonna be at some Pinball shows? How is it gonna start production today?

#1065 10 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

See that's the thing, I don't think. The game is "fast" either and for some reason a lot of people are flipping out and saying different things towards it.
I've played the game. It needs work. It's missing some stuff.
The guy that compared this to a Stern Pro, I have to ask, REALLY???????
I mean, I am glad these guys are trying to bring this game out, but let's go back to this and sit down and realize the following:
You have guys that have full time jobs and have never really made a production pinball before. This really is coming out of a garage so to speak.
This is P-ROC and you don't have experienced designers behind the game. To say that this game plays like Stern Pro games or games released lately either you don't know a thing about pinball or apparently 26 years of Data East/Sega/Stern factory stuff is just tossed out the window.
Almost EVERY pinball has problems. People complain about Stern stuff being broken out of the box, and Williams had tons of incorrect stuff all over their board causing a plethora of problems.
If you're patient I am sure this game will be fine and play fine and come out eventually. However, anyone who is into a pinball for just looks and not playability please find the nearest Wizard of Oz, I am into it for the reverse. I like games that play well, looks can be deceiving (Shadow/Demolition Man) and pretty games can be there just for shiny lights but you have to realize this is essentially being done out of a garage type thing with hard working guys who have other stuff going on.
I hope the game gets the treatment it deserves but I don't agree with the product as it sits right now. I just think people pay so much attention to details of the cabinet(s) vs the actual gameplay issues at hand with things that need to be addressed.

Ok with that being said what are the actual gameplay problems in your eyes? I'd really like to know cause im about to be out on the game

#1077 10 years ago
Quoted from molspin:

I *only* buy mods. With so many readily available, who needs the actual machines anymore?

So are you gonna mod your mods?

1 week later
#1175 10 years ago

Very good review Whysnow thanks for taking the time to post it. One thing I will note as a buyer is that the things that need addressed (plastics, uv, and lighting) in my eyes should be taken care of before production. Sure I can change or mod these things but that is just giving companies a pass to make these machines so-so (aesthetically speaking) and making the end user have to pump more money into something that very likely wouldn't change the price of production. I don't want to have to strip a new game down and change all the lighting on my own dime and figure out how to have plastics printed or add a new uv layer. Do I think these things are the be all end all on whether the game is successful? No.

I'm sure others feel the same way.

#1186 10 years ago

If we get an official video from Kevin I'll be making my final decision on whether to stay in or not when he releases it. If we don't get a video and answers to a lot of the questions I'm more than likely out and that will let someone from the wait list in. I shouldn't have sent full payment, it was a knee jerk reaction that I feel silly for doing and if I ask for a refund I hope Kevin if you read this, aren't offended. I still believe Kevin is doing the best he can but I have a gut feeling on this game that keeps telling me to back out(or maybe it's just gas).

My questions, I hope they get answered. Are you going to address the issue on the plastics? GI lighting? Uv Lighting? Are you going to shoot a thorough video of the finished game with all things working as intended and show more of the game play and sounds and also dmd? When is the deadline on refunds? Thank you Kevin and I'd appreciate a response when you can get some time.

#1188 10 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I'm sorry but if you are going to design a pinball machine with a UV layer of art as one of the selling points, then you make a real life prototype to test it in until your positive it works the way it should long before you go into production or showing it as a finished product. There are many simple cheap ways you take scrap pieces of wood and practice with different paints/clearcoats and lighting until you figure out what works best. Some of you guys are too forgiving and accepting of things that aren't right just because you like the theme or the skitB guys. It's not a personal thing or a popularity contest, the UV doesn't work as stated, period. Now as far as the rest of the game, you guys can argue the details, but as far as I'm concerned the UV layer was a complete failure.

I'm kind of seeing it this way also. The only uv paint I've seen was with the black light maybe two inches from the playfield, this game doesn't have any toys or gimmicks, the uv was supposed to be that. I'm sure a game can be good without those things but games that have a gimmick of some sort is what draws you in then the rest take over. As it stands it has 6 maybe 7 shots. That's similar to bsd, but bsd has the ball moving by magnet across the playfield and pis an awesome gimmick. What does predator have to offer? Here is the reason the uv absolutely has to work, it's part of hunt mode, that predator face needs pop out at you to draw you in to the hunt, black lights making ramps glow doesn't do it for me. Pinball needs to tell a story or adventure, I hope Kevin hasn't just kinda thrown in the towel with predator and said screw it just build them as they are and let's get past this game, I hope the thrill isn't gone.

#1208 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks Rosh.
That's all I'm asking, I ask an honest question and people jump on me like I killed someone. Really shows who has class here and who doesn't.

Rai I think you posted a very valid question. When we don't get a chance to play predator we are gonna ask all the tough questions. They may come off as negative but I think the questions are more constructive. I wouldn't have used lotr as an example instead I would use afm because that is the game that predator strived to be as good as(was from Kevin himself). So my question to anyone that has played predator how did it stack up against afm? I'm talking whole package. I thank all you guys that have played the game and take the time to post your reviews.

#1246 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Are the center targets a lot closer than TNT targets on AcDc ?

They remind me of the Marilyn targets on taxi but they are drop targets on taxi. I always feel like those targets on taxi are gonna snap because they are so close to the flippers but they never do.

#1253 10 years ago

I'm still waiting for a "good hd" video from Kevin for the game and also some answers to previously posted questions.

#1289 10 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

I had the chance to see it and yes the Predators face is clearly visible in the dark and it's pretty freaking bad ass.
I cannot wait for my machine to arrive!!!!
Thanks again Kevin and crew!

Where did you see this at. Also was it seen from just the lighting from the game, or was an alternate light source used?

#1295 10 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

This was at my house Sunday on their way back to MI. It was from the fluorescent lighting that is in the game. Again it was dark in my garage.........

Thanks Jetzxi. So I'm guessing complete darkness and no other games on? Sorry for so many questions.

#1296 10 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Not much...I pester Kevin, and got to know him as the 13th customer.....Offered bulbs, but I respect his decision with CT....Steve, at Pinball Refinery and myself have chatted/offered additional lighting options....mine during the process, and Steves more recently....
I am quite confident that Warm whites, and Greens Maybe, would help the plastics and looks, so if I am still in the running, Id make some kits up...It would be the only kit you might see me do, but for Predator Fans, Absolutely
(and affordable)
I spoke with Kevin for 10 seconds earlier, he will be trying the UV PAD this weekend, and I will be shooting some pics
on various games...I like the idea of finding a way to make this a hooded lamp, a tilted acc, under plastics for really any game....Most every game I have has UV affect...Now I am trying to convince a new secret company launching
soon, that is making killer colored Silicone Rubbers, and playfield rings, to try UV reactive. (Wait for this Launch!!)
Silicone, to me is MUCH better then Urethane, and I am hoping Kevin might light Camo Green Rubbers on the game!
Thoughts?
For any game, maybe Glow Plastic protectors...or even maybe game specific decal/overlay in UV reactive.....
Sorry, I am a child of the 60's...Black lights, Lava Lamps, Woodstock...I just like UV....

I love this idea.

#1309 10 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

My friend Rob asked for a refund over 2 weeks ago but he has yet to receive it (it was just the $250 on his end) unless it was refunded in the past couple of days....he is out mainly because he bought an AC/DC.

Well this has me officially worried, I hope I can get a refund since I paid in full. I was hoping to see a video but it hasn't happened.

#1315 10 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

Well, really guys: Is there any need to post stuff like that? It gives pressure to Skit-B, makes more people nervous and will not help you to get your refund faster. I cannot understand such behaviour nor the fact that people want to get Out since the Product Looks Good, feels Good....but isn't perfect for everybody like every stern Model . Kevin is nearly alone and has so much going on for the very First Time in his life (WE Are Talking about a 1.2 million Project btw)...to implify he is a liar (UV Layer) or a Schmock (Money/refund) is Not acceptable. WE all knew that this will be a more Rough Ride than ordering a 0815-Stern!

I already emailed him directly, I'm sure Kevin is the nicest guy in the world but when I've already paid in full you can bet I'm worried about that money. I have no way of knowing this game feels or plays good, I've gotta take people's word for it since I can't attend any shows and so far it's been very mixed reviews and subpar video. We all know Kevin doesn't seem to reply in a timely manner to email or posts on pinside and I don't know him from any other stranger. I never implied anything except worry. You may part with 5k easily but I don't so we will leave it at that, as for the game we've seen shaky video with no way to know if the game is anything special. All I want is a good hd gameplay video pinpointing the features and show clips of how it shoots and sounds and a little look inside modes.

The fact that Kevin is asking for half the money before releasing a video that he has been saying he'd shoot for months(and not the project finished video, looked like an ad for globalls) has me and I'm sure others a little apprehensive. I'll chill once he responds to my email I'm sure.

#1344 10 years ago

Still on the fence but anxiously awaiting a well shot video.

#1358 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Doesn't seem unreasonable. Kevin did say he would do another video after the mission complete video but with better lighting and game play? That hasn't happened yet? I don't really buy the "this is a boutique pin and if you don't like it back out attitude". Its like saying shut up and drink the Kool-Aid. No one is asking to redesign the game. I just want to see what I'm buying as it has slightly changed since the big unveiling. Isn't anbody curious of how the UV works with those new black light tubes? Seems they make the ramps more prominent than the UV paint?

I'm with you ninja. I need to see this thing in a well shot video to make an informed decision.

#1359 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I guess maybe I am 'defending' him, because I feel their is a little bit of a lynch mob going on. Kevin has probably spent more time driving, and talking to folks at shows, over the last month, then he has working on the machine and getting production going (or making a video). Maybe that is the not the right use of his time, maybe it is, again, you can't make everyone happy.
And while not a defense on the delay in the video, I will say it took me four months to finally shoot a short one of my game after I had promised it to several people -- just never seemed to be the priority (vs working on the code) -- and in my case it did not matter if it was great quality or not. (If you are totally bored you can see the crappy video here if you would like https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=OH5W_j7T1wg)
I also think that to some degree the issues that have come up at shows, have been somewhat blown out of proportion. For example, 'The machine was down half a day at Louisville' -- when its was 20 minutes due to a blown fuse (and after that was revealed, no one contradicted it). Someone said 'the game was not up until after noon on Saturday at MGC', when I know I was playing the game well before noon.
When I talked with Kevin at MGC, I made a comment about the thread on Pinside. He indicated he has been way to busy to be spending time on pinside, which is why I then posted a short video of game play that I shot at MGC.
A few days ago Kevin replied to a bunch of the comments/issues on this thread and has indicated he is working on some things, including a video. So while his communication has been less frequent that desired, he has not been totally absent. In addition, those that have talked to him at shows, have reported back what they have heard from him. He also did that long video interview at Louisville -- so again, not a total blackout in communication, and certainly as much, if not more, than we see from other manufacturers, who have larger staffs that could do more of it.
And as far as feedback from the shows, not everyone is going to love the machine and the game play, just like every other pin. Lets be honest, much of the feedback is totally conflicting 'the game is slow', the 'game is fast', 'the game is easy', 'the game is hard', 'the middle targets suck', 'the middle targets do what they are supposed to'.
If folks feel they don't want to pay the next installment without a video, then they have ever right to tell Kevin that is a requirement for them.

I think the thing that makes me hesitate the most isn't the game play or game itself, it's the question mark surrounding tech support. Kevin needs to hire a staff, if my game breaks who can I call, text, email that's gonna help me troubleshoot it? This seems to be a deal-breaker for me if we don't have proper tech support. I'm not gonna rely on the Pinball community to help me fix predator when problems arise.

#1376 10 years ago

Where did I say hire tech support? I said he needs to be more than a one man crew, someone who can handle finances, questions, email or whatever. Not a team. To expect tech support is not far fetched here. 4750x250 is 1.18 million dollars, that's not chump change. If I cant get some sort of tech support I am out.

#1377 10 years ago

To add to that it doesnt matter if its a boutique pin this is the first pin to start up a pinball company, im not saying Williams here but the guy is building pinball machines not Tonka toys. Pinball machines break and im sure im not the only one worried about a 5k paper weight when shit hits the fan.

#1388 10 years ago

Thank you Kevin for at least hinting around to there being some type of support. I dont need my own personal in home tech just someway of knowing I can call or email and you could point me in the right direction. For me it wouldn't be a very wise purchase tech wise if I didnt have some sort of tech support, not everyone is an electrician or pinball op/tech. I try and fix my machines but I also know my limitations.

#1436 9 years ago

Kevins making a nice gameplay video and thats all I really wanted at this point and about making a snap judgement, some of us wont have a chance to make it to any shows to play it so we need whatever we can get to make an informed decision on spending 5k and im in the first 80-90 because I got the pay half email although im already paid in full. Yes even though im paid in full im still on the fence, this is by no means a slap in the face to Kevin, the guy has done a very good job and certainly better than I ever could have but this is also 5k of my money and at the end of the day thats what matters for me, its has to be fun for me and my family. Im sure ill be blown away by the video, cant wait and thanks again Kevin and crew for taking the time to make a video.

#1448 9 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

If Kevin's efforts are going into a video being produced, I'd have to assume production hasn't started yet.
Hey... now there's an interesting argument. Why should these guys waste time on a professional quality video when they could be spending that time producing games? Hmmmmm
Of course I'm be facetious. I don't think many here would want them to cut out the video... yet many are happy to not have Predator in Allentown where dozens of buyers will be anticipating it... and yes, attending Allentown was mentioned way back in the other thread... although nothing is written in stone.
I'm all paid up, but still keeping my fingers crossed on playing it at Pinfest!
Hell, I was originally hoping to pick mine up there and bring it home!

How much assembly is Kevin gonna do? I assume he is just supervising it? If that's the case then production can start.

#1463 9 years ago

The last production order email I got was in August 2013 and I was build number 96 and I received the payment email. I'm not sure if or how much I have moved up.

#1468 9 years ago

Are you wanting to move up or down the production line oldpinguy?

#1474 9 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Well, tomorrow is my due date and I didn't send in any more $. I responded to the email with a question for Kevin and I did not get a response. I guess I am out?

I doubt you're bumped out, if you sent Kevin an email he'll probably get back to you. I'm assuming he will email people before he bumps them off the list.

#1512 9 years ago

No use in arguing, a video is coming. The only thing I dont like is the lack of communication. I believe and this is just me that Kevin is in over his head. Im guessing he's running around like a mad man trying to move forward but this is not a job for a one man crew.

1 week later
#1669 9 years ago

Man this thread jumped the shark. Kevin are you still alive out there?

#1680 9 years ago

Well the no response to emails regarding refunds has me worried. I sent an email also a while ago and received no response. I wanted to see the final video before making the decision but I'm starting to think I need to just get my money back unless Kevin wants to come on here soon and give some type of time frame for when a video is gonna be released.

#1723 9 years ago

Kevin responded to my email sent about 3 weeks ago. We've known all along that emails aren't his strong suit. Anyway on the video he wrote today: "at this point a high-def video in a controlled
environment would probably do much more for you than an email ever
could.  The video is coming along, and I expect to post it sometime in
the next week or so"

Next week or so could be a week to infinity but it's somewhat of a timeline. He responded so I'm pretty happy about that and just think he is super swamped.

#1726 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't get to tell my clients that I'm "super swamped" and just can't get back to you for several weeks. But then again, this is pinball where BS reigns in every aspect of it. Is it really that hard to provide a simple update a few times a week to the people that have at least already fully paid? I don't know maybe it is. Since production was on track to start in "early April" at least let people know wtf is going on. But then again, that's just me.
Yeah, I know, Jack Jr. here, btw if you watch the latest Jack presentation he says that to get the FCC and UL approvals it cost him 60k so that we can feel good about the fact that "our houses won't burn down by plugging it in"…
???

Oh I get how you're feeling. I'm just happy he responded not happy about how long it took or the current state of affairs. It really doesn't take but 2 minutes to give us an update here and that doesn't mean Kevin needs to stay here for a couple hours and answer our questions. It could be as simple as "we are in the process of shooting a video and it will be released sometime next week, I'll log in next week when the video is released and answer questions about the current payment situation and expected build time and release. Thanks for your patience"

That took me about 30 seconds. Not so hard.

#1787 9 years ago
Quoted from hudson2212:

I have not posted in this thread because it usually does not go well for the poster, but I have a question.
Does anybody recall pulling PP fees from the deposit being mentioned before? I was searching around to find the specifics of the refund, but since I am at work I cannot spend too much time searching for it.

Yes in the original predator thread Kevin mentioned refunds would be less the PayPal fees. As for being posted anywhere else I have no idea. So by that if you paid in full it will cost close to $150 to get your money back. I'd have to look on when I made my payments but I know half of what I paid was less than 6 months so I could get a break on the fee if I decide on a refund.

Edit: I just saw that the fee is added after 60 days so I would have to pay full fees. It is what it is, I don't expect Kevin to eat that money since he's pretty much building these machines for no profit but I could see how some would be bothered that they weren't made aware of it.

1 week later
#1837 9 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I think I'm 227? I tried emailing Kevin for confirmation but still waiting. I don't mind staying at the back of the bus but since Im paid up I thought I might be able jump the line a bit.

I dont want to sound negative but why would Kevin allow this? Your bonus for paying early is quite a bit of extras and jumping ahead of people isnt one of them.

#1852 9 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

It won't be within the next hour but it will be sooner than later.

Hopefully it's today.

#1855 9 years ago

Well I got my hopes up for a video yesterday, crossing my fingers that it's today with followed info on production and shipping.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kcpinballfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/predator-pinball-mission-complete?tu=kcpinballfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.