th_avatar109503_22.gif
baf9_inevitable_betrayal.jpg
th_alien_0011.gif
dancing_fruit.gif
3_predator_rage.gif
hulksmile.gif
Demon_2.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 1,525 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 31.
#1001 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

I like it too. I think some fairly quick testing may be needed. The ball velocity may become reduced to soon. Not sure, 2 or 3 spinners may be the max depending on the amount of friction/resistance in the spinner weight, pivot point location on spinner and then the switch (spring force in the limit switch if one is used).
It sure would be cutting or leading edge to have inline spinners! Sooo cool!

I didn't really wanna be the guy, but how much would they really add? Plus they seemto be pretty set on lit inlanes with Arnie's son of a bitch line.

#1002 11 years ago

Damn! I missed the 1000th post.....

I like the idea of the sound attached to one or several spinners producing a Gatling gun....

Waiting with great anticipation....

Art

#1003 11 years ago

I'm not a big spinner fan. See how hard it is to please everyone?

#1004 11 years ago

Well I just mean that hitting a spinner lane is (usually) something done on purpose, where inlane spinners would just be chance. And Outlane spinners mean that WANT your ball to go down them?

Plus the fact that they might slow the balls down, but hey, whatdo I know. It might be cool

#1005 11 years ago
Quoted from playboywillis:

Well I just mean that hitting a spinner lane is (usually) something done on purpose, where inlane spinners would just be chance. And Outlane spinners mean that WANT your ball to go down them?
Plus the fact that they might slow the balls down, but hey, whatdo I know. It might be cool

I believe he said "inline" spinners not inlane spinners.

#1006 11 years ago

Not to rain on the spinner parade. But early on spinners were discussed by Kevin and the community. He said they thought about it but it did not fit in right with the game in his opinion. The pop bumpers are already linked to the Gatling gun sound clip so I don't think we will be seeing any spinners on this machine.

#1007 11 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I believe he said "inline" spinners not inlane spinners.

Dude, the whole time we've been talking about this, I thought he was talking putting spinners in the in and outlanes. I couldn't stop thinking about how dumb that'd look hahaha. I get what he was sayin now.

#1008 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

The pop bumpers are already linked to the Gatling gun sound clip

This is what I remember too.

#1009 11 years ago
Quoted from SkitBPinball:

I read this like 5 minutes ago and I'm STILL laughing...

I can't be the only person who is just getting killed by the fact SkitB logged in to say this and then stealth cloaked back into the forest.

Aaarraragghararghahh, did I make the list ahr naahharaaraaaaht?

#1010 11 years ago

Guess he doesn't need any more buyers. I sent an e-mail but no reply. Vacation maybe?

#1011 11 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

Guess he doesn't need any more buyers. I sent an e-mail but no reply. Vacation maybe?

Can take up to weeks for you to hear back, Kevin would tell you either way so don't get discouraged if you didn't hear right back.

#1012 11 years ago

Yea their focus right now is 100% on making the pin the best it can be. I'm glad they are dedicated to getting this bad boy out I can't wait to see what they come up with. There has been plenty of time to get in on the pre-order before this point. A fellow pinhead told me that he got in just last week so there is likely room for ya. Give em a couple weeks they will get back to you one way or another.

#1013 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I can't be the only person who is just getting killed by the fact SkitB logged in to say this and then stealth cloaked back into the forest.

Ok, I'm just guessing here, but here's some info.

I also was a late pre order because I was going to their site long before the forums. I sent an email and after a little more than a week, Kevin put that post up about "We are still here, going to get an update and get to those emails soon." The next day they emailed me, as well as 5 others from this board. I'm assuming that checking emails for them is a chore.

Anyway, that same day I got my email, another member here did and asked if he was one of the last units sold. Kevin told him "last 1/4" which leads me to believe that there was a little less than 1/4 left, right? I think it was two days after that you emailed them according to this board.

So, I still think you have a shot.

#1014 11 years ago

I also suspect more than a few of the preorders will fall out once this becomes real.
I think getting in on this project is still a safe bet... for now

#1015 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I also suspect more than a few of the preorders will fall out once this becomes real.
I think getting in on this project is still a safe bet... for now

This. With the no deposit rule they followed, I think as many as half the pre-order people will not pony up the cash when their number is called. That said, if there are games being produced they will easily sell out all 250 if the game is merely decent. They will not struggle to fill orders once people see the final product.

#1016 11 years ago

The next day they emailed me, as well as 5 others from this board. I'm assuming that checking emails for them is a chore.

Add me to the list of people they emailed back after a month. I was told I was on the list, but all the #s I had requested were taken so they said to give them more #s and they'd see what they had. So chances are very good they still have slots open if they are letting me pick numbers still.

#1017 11 years ago

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they are planning to do the PF artwork and such; I have an idea for a topper, but I wanted to make sure it'll fit with the complete look of the pin before mocking one up.

And I'm bumping this thread to make the next guy that clicked on it to think that Kevin posted the details on the pin

#1018 11 years ago

Damn Nibbles! You're not Kevin!

Look forward to your Topper!!!!!!

#1019 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Excuse me, but there are no "R"s in "naahhaaaaaaaht".

Dan

#I cannot remember!

#1020 11 years ago

Hey guys,
stayed cool, I'm sure Kevin will answer as soon as possible.
I guess they will have currently arithmetic overflow in their brain based on all the work which has to be done while develop such a great pin and collecting all the ideas flying around

Pat #22 & # 244

#1021 11 years ago

I have a question for all you pre-order guys, how you think this pin will stack up against another pre-existing $5K pin?

For example at this time, Tron can be had for this same money XM a little bit less. Used TZ or CV or such would be in this price range also.

Could you guys give me some reasons why Predator is gonna be a better than those? I know one thing is the limited production is better (gonna be hard to find in the wild), the fact that Kevin is a pinball player who has a lot of good ideas, like he was saying: "if I was building a pin, I'd do this..." (something that the big guys, meaning Stern, may not do since they are set on an existing template and Stern probably does thing to the lowest cost, not saying they are cheap but if they had one method that would save a lot of money but isn't exactly good they would still do it for the cost, such as cheap lockdown bars on pro machines as one example).

If somebody asked you why you prefer to wait for a Predator rather than buy a Tron pro or an older game such as LOTR or TZ (or whatever can be found in the $5K price range) so why Predator?

I know some people will say the theme, meaning they would buy Predator if Stern made it. But for me theme is not the main reason to buy a pin. I mean the best theme in the world could be a bad pin and I wouldn't want it.

#1022 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If somebody asked you why you prefer to wait for a Predator rather than buy a Tron pro or an older game such as LOTR or TZ

Well, if LOTR or TZ were NIB, they wouldn't be $5K, but that aside:

1) Great/fun theme - adult oriented (sorry WOZ)
2) Buit by players for players (meaning well thought out gameplay and ruleset - we hope)
3) Not a ton of technology, but some cool ideas like UV hunt mode with hidden UV artwork, player controlled gates etc..
4) Playfield toys by back alley
5) Kevin and team seem like a great group of guys and listen to the community, I like to support that
6) I can go out and buy any of those other games anytime I want. Why not take a chance on something that won't be as easy to grab in a few months?
7) I don't yet own any of the pins out there with Arnold Schwarzenegger on them

#1023 11 years ago

What he said, with emphasis on 1,2,5,6.

#1025 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

so why Predator?

Short version: Because I'm stupid.

Medium version: Because I've watched Predator 10,000 times, rarely ever spend money on myself, am almost certainly half way dead, am queer for underdogs, think what's been revealed so far sounds really, really bad ass and was forced to watch Wizard of Oz at least five times a year growing up because the rest of my family adored it.

Long Version:

1) Integrated theme. This is HUGE for me. Almost every memorable line in Predator fits pinball events perfectly.

2) White board. It looks like a pinball machine trying really hard to be a good pinball machine, and less like a nine year old's toy box exploded under the glass after being hit by a truck full a' Vegas. Don't get me wrong, there are some really cool Stern layouts and I'd have been happy as a fat kid at ice cream camp to win that Oz raffle, but this machine looks more my style.

3) Hunt mode. If they get that right it will be, for me, as cool as the trolls in Madness. Everything has to work right, I want to hear that awesome, "FithUhmmm", sound wipe to infrared like in the film as everything goes dark and hear some ambient Predator clicks. Oh my God. So cool if done right.

4) Software. Putting your name in and tracking your stats? Earning badges for accomplishments? Displaying you and your totally dominated friends and family on screen at once so they can witness side by side your total superiority? F to the yes.

5) Upgrades / fixes on memory stick.

6) Theme.

7) Art. This hasn't been shown yet obviously, but, man, I'd love to see a new pin with some quality hand made art.

8] Demographic. This is a pin made to be played by people my age who were young men / old boys when Predator came out. It's made for EXACTLY ME. That's what I felt like when I saw this thread, "Holy shit, these guys decided to make a pinball machine for exactly me." I respect Jack, and I want that company to survive, thrive, flourish and create a new age of pinball success. However, I take him exactly at his word, he made Oz to appeal to the broadest possible demographic. My Mom, who loves pinball and Wizard of Oz and Predator, said, "Wow, Oz will be huge with the rich gay guy crowd, they'll buy it just to have and never even play it!". I am neither rich, nor gay, and I wish both demographics all the happiness in the world, but SkitB has seemingly created this pinball machine specifically for, and only for, this guy right here. Yeah, if I'm on the list there's 249 other people, but, I honestly feel like no one is a better fit for this machine than me.

9) Mature. The vast majority of the USA considers video games, board games, pinball games, foosball games, etc... as juvenile diversions. That's why a bunch of clueless assholes are always trying to ban certain genres, titles or subjects, to save little kids. But, they don't get there's a whole, large portion of the population that grew up playing games and have no interest jumping over mushrooms or collecting fruit to feed their day glow pet. I'm almost 40. Why can't video games, board games and pinball games grow up? I sure as hell did. I never swear in front of my kids, but when they're in bed or I'm away I curse like a fucking drunk sailor watching a football game he's got $1000 riding on.

10) Because I'm pretty stupid.

#1026 11 years ago

That's all good but I thought they made if for me.

#1027 11 years ago

That's all good but I thought they made if for me.

And that's fine. People learn from their mistakes.

#1028 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

And that's fine. People learn from their mistakes.

Hahaaaaaaaa you get a number yet?

#1029 11 years ago

Nope.

#1030 11 years ago

That's cool. You can play it at my house, but only if you admit it was made for me, and bring chips and booze.

#1031 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

4) Software. Putting your name in and tracking your stats? Earning badges for accomplishments? Displaying you and your totally dominated friends and family on screen at once so they can witness side by side your total superiority? F to the yes.
5) Upgrades / fixes on memory stick

I had emailed to see if there was a spot, and after a month I finally got the email that I was on the list. Before I went ahead with it, I checked with my husband to make sure he wanted us to set aside that much money. He literally said "Predator sounds cool, but it looks like a regular pinball." Then I started sending him the actual information from Kevin, about the software and upgrades. Husband is a huge PS3/360 guy and has to do 100% completion on all his games. He'll even rebuy a game he likes but has beat on one console for the other console to re-do the achievements. He had never really been around/exposed to pinball, but we just got our first one and he loves it and is a pretty good tech so far, so a pinball with achievements is just the coolest thing ever for him. Now he is so excited about it he can't stand it.

I personally wanted it because I'm going to have a tiny pinball collection since we are thinking about kids in the next year or so, which means less money for pins. Instead of running out and getting LOTR or TFTC or something else we want, but that we could find reasonably easy given enough time and money, I want to go with the rare machine. So sure, I may only have 2 pinballs... but I have a Predator. Only 249 other people can say that.

#1032 11 years ago

What's your number Blondy?

#1033 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

rather than buy a Tron pro or an older game such as LOTR or TZ (or whatever can be found in the $5K price range) so why Predator?

All those are classic games no doubt. The thing here is you get a very small run machine that looks to be a great player for a good value. If you want one in the future they will be almost impossible to find and probably way more expensive then what you would pay now. My main reason for waiting is I can pick up a Tron Pro, LOTR, TZ, and many other great machines at any point in the future. There were enough of those pins made that I am confident if I want one in the future I can get it. That is not the case with Predator.

All the people saying oh is that the one with no upper playfield, or spinning things ect... IMO extra mini playfields above or below are usually pretty basic and add very little to a pin (with a few exceptions). A pin can be fun without having the equivalent of 20 inch chrome spinning rims on it. So far from what I have seen gameplay wise it is a pretty open field not overly crowded (which I prefer) with two ramps and uniquely placed pops. Sometimes I like simplicity over some lame features like an extra mini playfield that breaks up flow and adds very little to the playing experience. Just my 2 cents okay maybe 3.

#1034 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

What's your number Blondy?

I don't know. I gave him 3 choices, they were already taken, and I told him just to pick one for me. No response since then. It's driving me nuts though. I'll post as soon as I know.

#1035 11 years ago

Don't worry...It'll be soon!
...and, Dude...I agree! I've never been a fan of mini playfields. (OR anything over 3 flippers) I LOVE the Wizard of Oz theme...but 2 mini fields? (have to wait to play it...hopefully it will change my mind!)

#1036 11 years ago

The theme is right up my alley. Predator is probably my favorite action movie of all time, with a nice dash of sci-fi/horror. I also like collecting rare titles that are good. While this game hasn't been proven yet, everything I have seen so far (including the philosophies of the creators), indicates to me that it will be at least decent if not stellar. Audio is also something very important to me in a game and nothing could draw me in more than the music, sounds and quotes straight from Predator. While everyone on pinside seems to have heard about the game, I am surprised at how many people I have talked to outside of here that don't know anything about it. If it is a hit, there will be a lot of collectors who missed the boat and these will surely become the next BBB, imho.

Brian

#1037 11 years ago

I was just happy they felt as I do about mini playfields and multiple flippers.....

#1038 11 years ago

What does everyone think about the graphics like in SM?

I personally don't care for that approach at all.

Dan

#1039 11 years ago

Does anyone know if Predator's software will support coin op? I know it seems like it obviously should, but since it's based around a new platform I just wanted to be sure. I was planning to put mine in the coin play area at PPM.

#1040 11 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Does anyone know if Predator's software will support coin op? I know it seems like it obviously should, but since it's based around a new platform I just wanted to be sure. I was planning to put mine in the coin play area at PPM.

The pictures on their site: http://www.skitbpinball.com/photos2.html show the front of the cab with 2 coin slots so I think it is safe to assume it will be supported.

#1041 11 years ago

listen to this podcast (I believe it's on this podcast)

Kevin says that he had to modify the software so it would support coin-op.

http://www.spookypinball.com/http:/spookypinball.com/spooky-pinball-podcast-show-26/

#1042 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

What does everyone think about the graphics like in SM?
I personally don't care for that approach at all.
Dan

I love it because it prevents that cartoony feel.

Ok can I just say I think the Predator is the coolest chatacter ever created

#1043 11 years ago

If I had sex with the most beautiful woman in the world in 1987, I'd like to think the movie Predator would be my baby.

#1044 11 years ago

30 more teasers since yesterday.........man I love this thread!

Chris #4

#1045 11 years ago
Quoted from Jetzxi:

30 more teasers since yesterday.........man I love this thread!
Chris #4

Yep, I thought for sure there must be an update of some kind. Oh well, I am in no rush.

#1047 11 years ago

Not a bad idea!

alien_predator016.gifalien_predator016.gif

#1048 11 years ago

sounds like predator is the anti-WoZ.

I think the two will be extremely different pins but IMO Woz is a great theme movie for a pinball machine with a lot of color and characters and goals that lend themselves to a beautiful pinball with flying monkey and melting witch etc..

Looking at the prototype Woz machine it is so bright and colorful and so bubbly that I can see why some people would not like it but if it plays as good as it looks it will be a heck of a game and the pinball future could be bright with JJP pushing Stren from the top and games like Predator nipping at their heals

#1049 11 years ago

I think Oz is a great theme for a pinball game too. It's just not MY theme.

Quoted from rai:

the pinball future could be bright with JJP pushing Stren from the top and games like Predator nipping at their heals

That's a great way to put it.

#1050 11 years ago

I love it because it prevents that cartoony feel.
Ok can I just say I think the Predator is the coolest chatacter ever created

You make a good point. I guess with a "darker" themed game, it may be the better choice.

Dan

There are 1,525 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 31.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/predator-pinball-at-michigan-pinball-expo/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.