Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jlm33
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

interested in getting one.... how do I preorder? Who has preordered and what is the cost (payment plan etc)

#2 10 years ago

I think you're going to have to wait until someone sells one

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

interested in getting one.... how do I preorder? Who has preordered and what is the cost (payment plan etc)

only 250 available, all sold and there is a waiting list.

all you need to know is here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-predator-info-thread

#4 10 years ago

There are only 250 units being made. The pre-order has been sold out for well over a year now to my knowledge. You can email Kevin at Skit B to see if you can get on the waiting list. I got on the list and it took 7 months before I had the opportunity to buy one. Think the only reason I lucked out was the hype surrounding the MM remake and someone dropped out. Good luck.

#5 10 years ago

Im on this list but who knows when i will get my game. I am #210 in the production line.

#6 10 years ago

Get on the list and you will most likely get one when someone drops out. I waited about 40 days and got a spot, but then dropped out myself.
When real money is due (more than $250 deposit) spots will open up.

PS. when I dropped out my deposit was refunded immediately .
Skit B team = Good guys!

#7 10 years ago

Fwiw the waiting list is pretty long and has not moved much in a long time from what i have been told. Have a buddy that has been on the wait list for 6 months and said he has moved less than 10 spots.

#8 10 years ago

I can't sell my spot, but after it ships to me, I'll sell it to you for $10k.
Free shipping even. :-"

#9 10 years ago

You can email Kevin at SkitB and asked to be put on the waiting list. Then see what happens. Just don't be surprised if you don't hear back anytime soon. But it's worth a shot, you never know.

[email protected]

#11 10 years ago

Moved to the Skit-B sub forum for you OP

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

When real money is due (more than $250 deposit) spots will open up.

^ This

It won't be hard to get one down the road if you want one. I was a pretty early on pre-order and even paid in full but dropped out after expo. I won't get into details but I am no longer a fan of the game from the progress I saw at the time. Most people hyping the game have never even seen it or put their hands on it in person (I know I hadn't until expo). It will definitely be a "love it or hate it" type of game so I would imagine you'll see some games moving around after they're produced to new homes. All in all though I think the SkitB guys are good peeps that will be giving the pinball community unique features with a truly raw theme so it will definitely be a title to play at least once to form your own opinion. Just my .02

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

^ This
I was a pretty early on pre-order and even paid in full but dropped out after expo. I won't get into details but I am no longer a fan of the game from the progress I saw at the time. Most people hyping the game have never even seen it or put their hands on it in person (I know I hadn't until expo). It will definitely be a "love it or hate it" type of game so I would imagine you'll see some games moving around after they're produced to new homes.

I also dropped out after finally getting to see and play Predator in person. That said I hope everyone who gets the game loves it!

#14 10 years ago

The waitlist may be long but it's definitely worth adding your name to the list.-especially since it doesn't cost anything to do so. I really admire the way Skit-B is handling the business on the pre-order side of things. They only require a minimal ($250) deposit and don't overcharge on the games and keep it to a limited (250) quantity. If I liked the theme or the layout more this would definitely have been THE boutique game to purchase for me. With that being said the negative part about only charging a refundable $250 deposit vs. taking payments the entire time is that it allows people to sit on the fence the entire time without firmly committing to a purchase. Coming up with $5K on short notice to pay for the rest of the game/shipping is where the rubber will finally meet the road. Especially since a large number of the people ordering won't get a chance to play a production machine before making this decision. If the early reports of production machines are even a slight bit disappointing people will jump off the pre-order list like flies. However if they are able to keep to a tight production schedule and deliver a fun and exciting game like they are capable of then I don't think many people will drop off the list as they'll find a way to come up with the additional funds. I really think they're going to end up knocking it out of the park but at the same time making pinball machines isn't an easy task... Either way, it's worth throwing your hat in the ring to see what happens.

#15 10 years ago

I honestly would be very suprised if many drop at this point. Game is looking polished at this stage and the vast majority have a good idea of what the final product will be and have been able to examine the ins and outs for quite a while. I have played it and the adult nature, limited quantity, price, coding, and fun will keep most on board so long as the final polishing is comparable to a stern pro. I think it will likely turn out to be much better polished than a pro.

#16 10 years ago

I think that will probably be the case and I think it's a good thing that Skit-B isn't rushing the game to market and ensuring that the final product is polished before it hits the market. It does have some really cool attributes and I can't wait to play yours once you get it!

I still think there's a possibility that more than a few people put deposits down on Predator (and MMR for that matter) as a type of low risk investment to flip vs. actually buying a game to play and enjoy. It's basically like playing poker and throwing a chip into the blind (knowing that you can get it back) after the cards are flipped and deciding if you want to go all in or not. If there's money to be made these people will stay in, but if not they will back out. I really hope 2014 is the year where we see less flippers and more people buying pins for the love of the hobby.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think it's a good thing that Skit-B isn't rushing the game to market and ensuring that the final product is polished before it hits the market.

This +1000

#18 10 years ago

I'm still hoping to get a chance to play Predator before mine starts being built. I love this theme and the game looks very promising to me. The rules look great, the features are cool, the audio is off the chain and the cab/playfield look fantastic. I'd be surprised if it ends up being crap, but it could happen.

For those who played or saw the game in person and didn't like it, what didn't you like? I know I have heard some mention of slapped together construction, wiring, technical issues, etc. I would kind of expect that for a game still being developed by 1 or 2 guys, though. Was there anything more about the total package or gameplay that seemed like a deal breaker?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I'm still hoping to get a chance to play Predator before mine starts being built.

Unless you're in the first 20 or 30, this would probably be the case...

#20 10 years ago

I am fully in and won't give up my spot, no matter what. If only because I am the only French!? I remember the day I decided to join - that was a tough decision given I was also committed to Nemo - I never regretted that instant.
I will sell my LOTR if I need the money to finalize the deal.

I trust the Skit-B team.
From what I have seen on videos, the game will be at least OK from a player's perspective, and likely much better than that.
I am fairly confident early buyers will give good feedback on the rules and propose innovations.
Artwork is cool (although Nemo is even better).
Toys are great.
Price is decent... LE for the price of a Stern Pro!

That said, I expect some drop outs when the production start as people will then need to send real money. Not necessarily because they are flippers, but simply because life may be hard, and you could not predict 2 years in advance if you could easily afford it or not. For some, me included, finding $4750 (+ tax + customs + shipping...) is not so easy.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Unless you're in the first 20 or 30, this would probably be the case.

Not that low, but I would guess somewhere close to 60 at this point. Not a bad spot to be in, but no promise of getting a hands on experience before plunking down the dinero.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

It won't be hard to get one down the road if you want one.

With only 250 being made I'm not sure I share your sentiments. This will not be an easy pin to pick up down the road IMO.

After seeing how the UV layer on field was executed I made up my mind that I'm gonna do what it takes to make sure that bad boy makes it to my collection.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

For those who played or saw the game in person and didn't like it, what didn't you like? I know I have heard some mention of slapped together construction, wiring, technical issues, etc. I would kind of expect that for a game still being developed by 1 or 2 guys, though. Was there anything more about the total package or gameplay that seemed like a deal breaker?

I'm not really qualified to answer this since I'm not unhappy with the game, but I did get to play it at Pinfest in Allentown. Ill admit that the game was pretty rough, but anyone with an imagination could see that the modes are fun and gameplay is well thought out.
That build had a wicked sound system in it and the game felt like it had a shaker installed. DMD visuals were cool and really set the mood. That old cabinet looked a bit rough. You could see woodgrain through the decals. The playfield had just been printed a few days prior, ramps looked home made and many of the ball locks were failing due to using hand-bent pieces of wire that just weren't holding up to continuous play. But, I was looking ahead to a finished product and understood that this was nowhere near that.

Fast forward to expo and, like everyone else, I had high hopes. The game showed up very late. It looked great... much more polished, but we all know about that setback.
I seriously left expo debating whether to bail. With my game being build #3, I'm basically the main guinea pig after Kevin and Aaron get theirs, and I was no longer sure if I wanted to be part of the "experiment" at that stage.

After I'd cooled off, it was the memory of that first time actually playing the pin in Allentown, along with Kevin's comments after expo, that kept me from second guessing myself and getting off of this cool project.

I don't know what people saw in person that they didn't like? But everyone I've spoken to that has played the pin and seen the latest build has had nothing but good things to say. Aside from the game not functioning at expo, it was definitely the most polished looking of any of the custom projects on display there.

Looking like I'll be playing one pretty soon... I guess I'll let ya'll know what I think then
Can't wait!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

it was definitely the most polished looking of any of the custom projects on display there.

I was at Expo and nothing against the SkitB guys but the game that I played in Seattle was at least working and fun. In regards to your above comment that it was the most polished of any of the custom projects are you kidding me? Did you play the Matrix or BoP 2.0 or Demolition Man? What about Wrath of Olympus or Ben Hecks Ghost squad or even the Kuglers? I want the SkitB guys to make a great pin and wish the best to all that are in on this pin but what I saw in Seattle and what I saw in Chicago were two very different games and if I was in on this title I might be a bit concerned, I hope i'm wrong.

Joe(acejedi)

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

I was at Expo and nothing against the SkitB guys but the game that I played in Seattle was at least working and fun. In regards to your above comment that it was the most polished of any of the custom projects are you kidding me? Did you play the Matrix or BoP 2.0 or Demolition Man? What about Wrath of Olympus or Ben Hecks Ghost squad or even the Kuglers? I want the SkitB guys to make a great pin and wish the best to all that are in on this pin but what I saw in Seattle and what I saw in Chicago were two very different games and if I was in on this title I might be a bit concerned, I hope i'm wrong.
Joe(acejedi)

I should qualify my comment I guess. By polished... I meant from a mechanical point of view. Obviously, since the game was not playable at expo, my comment was not relating to software or playability.

I do not consider BOP 2.0, Matrix or DM to be 'custom' projects in the same vein as predator. These are enhancements of existing games.
Wrath of Olympus was beautiful and well developed but still somewhat home-brew; it just didn't play right. I'd say the same about Ben's game. Ball 1 lasted about 10 minutes. I just walked away in boredom.

What I saw in Predator in Chicago was the nice new cabinet, custom trim, new ramps, new playfield and some of the toys from Matt. These were (sadly) thrown into the game very quickly, but the quality was there.
Combined with the gameplay and modes that I was able to experience a few months earlier in Allentown (albeit on a lesser quality build), I'm sticking by my statement.

Predator is still the most "professional" looking and playing (new) pin of that bunch.

#26 10 years ago

I agree that I wouldn't consider BOP 2.0 or DM to be competing with Predator. I do appreciate hearing both perspectives on the game from people who have seen or played it.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

After seeing how the UV layer on field was executed I made up my mind that I'm gonna do what it takes to make sure that bad boy makes it to my collection.

Yep, what he said. Although I never was on the fence about Predator, seeing the latest UV video solidified my resolve to get this pin. I'm glad one has my name on it.

#28 10 years ago

I asked to be put on the wait list in April. Got a chance at a preorder in November. I feel very lucky about snagging a spot.

#29 10 years ago

Ok I can see where you are coming from on BoP and DM but what the guys did on the Matrix is top notch over Predator and yes it's not gonna be a kit because of securing the rights but they had a completed DONE 100% playable fully polished game in 1Year and its just 2 or 3 guys working on it and they Built 3 of them to completion so far. Why then tell me why SkitB does not have a completed working game in a longer time frame and with more outside funds as they are selling Their game and trying to build multiple titles, I would at least think there would be a 100% working done polished model by now and there is not! I wish the best to everyone that ordered and I hope Kevin and the Guys at SkitB the best, but things I have seen at shows in regards to predator would be concerning to me if I had my money on the line, thats all i'm saying and i'm not in on it so my fingers are crossed for the rest of you who are.

Joe(acejedi)

#30 10 years ago

Just so you are aware those Ramps were way to shallow that were on the game in Chicago, when I did see a friend of mine who I wont mention as he backed out of Predator wanted to play the game to make his final decision and Kevin pretty much let him the ball would not stay on the ramps at all it, would just fly right off. Kevin even told him that I guess they would need to address that. These are all things that I feel should have already been figured out long ago.

Joe(acejedi)

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

Just so you are aware those Ramps were way to shallow that were on the game in Chicago, when I did see a friend of mine who I wont mention as he backed out of Predator wanted to play the game to make his final decision and Kevin pretty much let him the ball would not stay on the ramps at all it, would just fly right off. Kevin even told him that I guess they would need to address that. These are all things that I feel should have already been figured out long ago.
Joe(acejedi)

It's called a prototype man. And a re-theme is no where close to the project of building/designing a pin from scratch! Price is great and most still in believe that Skit-B will get this done the right way. I highly doubt balls will be flying off ramps on final production.

And if you wish the project the best why the repeated posts trying to tear it down? I can see a post or two to explain your thoughts but here just seems like your going out of your way to imply this project will not be a success. I can't tell the future but I'm hoping this one is epic.

#32 10 years ago

And if you wish the project the best why the repeated posts trying to tear it down? I can see a post or two to explain your thoughts but here just seems like your going out of your way to imply this project will not be a success.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm surprised I did not read a "with all due respect somewhere in there too".

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

Kevin even told him that I guess they would need to address that. These are all things that I feel should have already been figured out long ago.

I have my lingering worries too dude, but, Donny, you're out of your element. You're bringing things up that WERE figured out long ago. It's January. 2014.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I can't sell my spot, but after it ships to me, I'll sell it to you for $10k.
Free shipping even. :-"

so is it fair to say 10k by Christmas?

#35 10 years ago

And a re-theme is no where close to the project of building/designing a pin from scratch!

Wow you guys are way too sensitive on this subject, I own WoZ and you know how much negative stuff has been said about that pin, I was not trying to crap on your Beloved Predator pin just stating facts, A re-them to me is a pin that is changing art and adding or removing some playfield toys, This is not what they did with the Matrix it's a brand new game that just happens to be in a JM cabinet, But call it what you want and sorry that I insulted anyone or you guys took my comments the wrong way. Oh and by the way the ramps in Seattle that were on Predator were told to me as prototype Ramps and the ones that were in the game in Chicago were supposed to be final ones but who am I to know the difference, maybe Im just some collector that knows nothing. Good luck with your games, Im done in this Thread or any other one that has to do with Predator. Its Like a JJP vs Stern so damn stupid.....Don't say anything negative or your wrong. Its Just pinball, everyone is entitled to Their opinions thats what makes it's such a great hobby.

Joe(acejedi)

#36 10 years ago

I like how Kevin is really excited about what's coming around the corner! Good stuff for 2014

#37 10 years ago

So this thread has heated up.

I have not played one, but just seen video and whatnot,

My concern, is 2 stand ups in the middle of the PF, I mean close to the flippers makes me wonder if they are too close? Will there be much drainage off those?

Also, I don't care for the lack of any side targets such as are seen on most machines could be AMMO or whatever just something other to shoot at or hit besides the main shots. I mean, all games have 6-7 main shots but there are some other things to hit beside. But Predator appears not to have any.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

Wow you guys are way too sensitive on this subject...
(acejedi)

I think any anger or sensitivity you're reading into these replies may be because your comments sound like they're coming from a slightly uninformed place. I agree that people tend to get their backs up regarding whatever title they have chosen to invest in. However, let's look at your last couple of points.

Matrix vs. Predator:
Hmmm. Matrix is simply a re-theme of Johnny Mnemonic. Ramps, mechanisms and all major elements are JM based.
If Kevin and Aaron were simply taking someone else's work and engineering and applying new graphics, modes, DMD animations and rules... I think they'd have a much more polished project too.
I'm not dumping on Dutch Pinball, but c'mon.... Matrix is simply a (very sophisticated) re-theme, not a new design.
I think George Gomez would take a little offence... even though he signed the backglass "I like what you've done with MY game"

Ramps being shallow:
Kevin fully admitted after expo that their decision to try low profile ramps (like Johnny Mnemonic for example) wasn't going to work and the final build will end up having traditional height walls on the ramps.
In addition to this, he also clarified that the skull/spinal cord toy would be re-shaped to fit properly over the wire form, the dangling body bracket will be concealed under some plastics (yet to be revealed) and the playfield would be refined (better UV printing and black key-lines). This has already been completed and revealed.

Just sayin'

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Toys are great..

Toys are great? I don't recall one toy that does anything, only thing I would categorize as interactive toy is the claw diverter. UV paint and black light is cool and what is keeping me interested in the game. I suppose that could be called a toy feature.

I would not call it bad in any way, but with MMR, The Hobbit, TBL etc.. some of the hottest themes to be out in the next year or so we will have to see if Predator can take the ring if people have to decide ONE of those 4 titles. Predator is the cheapest of those by far but also less toys.

Note: I am not against Predator, hope its great but with MMR and TBL both being higher on my wish list of theme and TH as well. Just don't have room or money for all.

Predator will be least produced of my list except unsure of TBL at this point. But getting one after the initial sale might be far easier for TH and MMR than Predator.

#40 10 years ago

The game is being developed from scratch with decisions and testing under public scrutiny. That is a rare and precious occurrence in pinball design. So give Kevin and Skit B a break. Save the dumping until after the game ships.

#41 10 years ago

Agree with roc-noc. They've done a pretty damn good for hobbyists creating a new game from scratch. Have there been bumps along the way and learnings? Sure - even they would admit that. But they've shared those learnings pretty honestly with the community which I respect and appreciate.

I'm not in love with everything but there's stuff I'm liking that is making me wait to see final product. And I was at Expo last two years. It was a bummer this year not to be able to play it - but I'm cutting them slack. They had some unfortunate things happen that weekend that threw them off for that show. Rather than crucify them for that showing at Expo - let's give fellow hobbyists the time they need to bring this guy home. Wait til the game is final.

Digging the UV and hunter modes.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Toys are great? I don't recall one toy that does anything, only thing I would categorize as interactive toy is the claw diverter. UV paint and black light is cool and what is keeping me interested in the game. I suppose that could be called a toy feature.

OK. I am calling the hanging body, skull and spine toys, but at least 2 of the 3 are not interactive toys. Just a question of definition.

Quoted from rai:

Predator will be least produced of my list except unsure of TBL at this point. But getting one after the initial sale might be far easier for TH and MMR than Predator.

I doubt that for MMR. There was a massive rush during the first hours and people may drop like flies when asked $7k. I suspect some were flippers, others who hardly ever played MM and were told it is the greatest game ever, or needed MM for Pin status... There are true MM lovers though who will cherish their game and that's great. I am just stating they are not 100% of prebuyers and you will have a good chance to get a spot.

I am unsure for TH: looking at the secondary market for WoZ, it might not seem so difficult to get one. Except if TH appears to be far superior to WoZ.

There will be Predators on the secondary market as well; time will tell if there will be plenty. Well, if you find plenty, it would tell you something about the game... Numbers are still in favor for MM and TH (>1000 vs 250).

#43 10 years ago

I have a feeling we will all have a better idea of what we are in for very soon. 2014 will be the year of reckoning for many titles.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

Wow you guys are way too sensitive on this subject, I own WoZ and you know how much negative stuff has been said about that pin, I was not trying to crap on your Beloved Predator pin just stating facts, A re-them to me is a pin that is changing art and adding or removing some playfield toys, This is not what they did with the Matrix it's a brand new game that just happens to be in a JM cabinet, But call it what you want and sorry that I insulted anyone or you guys took my comments the wrong way. Oh and by the way the ramps in Seattle that were on Predator were told to me as prototype Ramps and the ones that were in the game in Chicago were supposed to be final ones but who am I to know the difference, maybe Im just some collector that knows nothing. Good luck with your games, Im done in this Thread or any other one that has to do with Predator. Its Like a JJP vs Stern so damn stupid.....Don't say anything negative or your wrong. Its Just pinball, everyone is entitled to Their opinions thats what makes it's such a great hobby.
Joe(acejedi)

For someone telling people to toughen up, you sure seem to have thin skin. You're reading overwrought defensiveness where people are simply informing you of your error or misplaced worry. I probably have the most concern of any of the long time Skit-B'ers mostly because I'd be surprised if I don't have the most to lose. I'm not saying everyone on the list is a millionaire, but for my family's meager income, this is a massive outlay of cash. I'm also a naturally critical person as that's my training.

Your "critique" is being tasked not because of blind fanboyism, but because you've offered NOTHING new to the discussion and brought up problems that were not only long since resolved, but openly and thoroughly so.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

For someone telling people to toughen up, you sure seem to have thin skin. You're reading overwrought defensiveness where people are simply informing you of your error or misplaced worry. I probably have the most concern of any of the long time Skit-B'ers mostly because I'd be surprised if I don't have the most to lose. I'm not saying everyone on the list is a millionaire, but for my family's meager income, this is a massive outlay of cash. I'm also a naturally critical person as that's my training.
Your "critique" is being tasked not because of blind fanboyism, but because you've offered NOTHING new to the discussion and brought up problems that were not only long since resolved, but openly and thoroughly so.

Navajas, we'll celebrate our Predator! 2013 did not end well for me concerning $$... and it seems very likely I will have to sell my LOTR to fund this purchase. But I am still happy to get one!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/predator-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.