(Topic ID: 181602)

Predator, zidware/Jpop games, Big Lebowski - How were you affected?

By Barakawins1

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by badbilly27
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dr.-evil-million-dollar-term-policy-300x241 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2858 (resized).JPG
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 11.37.45 AM (resized).png
    TLA (resized).jpg
    IMG_6491 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbilly27.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

JPOP: Was never paid a cent, nor received any promises of what I'd make on the Zombie game. Never had a contract either! Insane. But I learned a lot from John, even if he didn't practice what he preached. Glad I got pushed out early.
    Predator: Think we could have sold another 50 AMH had this thing not sucked money off the market. People gave money to a dumb con man redneck for his brick fest game instead of someone with my background. Proves that THEME (or fake license) is all that matters.

My caveat: I've met you in person and you're a really good dude. But, some things deserve clarification...

JPOP: The combo of you (modern tech guy, local, passionate) and JPOP (designed classic games in past, local) sold me on joining the BHZA. It was also cool to see the option "build it in your house with you" - I passed on that as it seemed awkward. I watched a bit of the streaming workshop sessions with you two. Started to get worried at progress. You bailed but never really said why - creative differences inferred. RAZA now instead of BHZA. Went to JPOP studio, saw all these other projects in some development state nothing close to being done. Refund opportunity too late.

Not blaming you for my poor decision to pre-order BHZA or RAZA, but why no "Hey everyone, my name is coming off because JPOP will never finish this - I don't want to be associated any longer. Just sharing my opinion." Your position came out after JPOP shit fest hit the fan and lawsuits filed. TBL guys had an "issue", at least Barry (edit: Phil) came out and said here's why I'm out. Keep me honest if my recollection of the facts is incorrect.

Predator: "People gave money to a dumb con man redneck for his brick fest game instead of someone with my background." A little re-writing history. Before AMH you built Bill Paxson pinball. Kevin built Sonic. Both part of the pinball community - one of us. That's how pre-order people viewed it at the time. Both had a game on display at Expos people could mess around with. But, rolling back the hot tub time machine everyone was in the hype and wanted to support all you guys who made one offs. Now, we're more educated. Ben delivers, Kevin....well there's a whole thread for that.

No ill will intended. Just interesting how history is interpreted.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

JPop had one thing, lawyers. If Ben would have said those things then he would have faced accusations of tortious business interference. People wouldn't have believed him anyway and said it was sour grapes since he worked for a competitor.
    He didn't owe anyone that explanation. My personal view anyway

Fair point. I understand how the legal angle could have played a role. Nonetheless, when a game has your name on the original model that was being pre-sold and you bail, I'm sure legal advice could have been available by the community to help find a way to warn risks are heightened based on first hand knowledge. Maybe if his name wasn't on it I get your POV. But, I feel the same way on SkitB's original partner too. Just my personal view on accountability. If you're involved in a project and something ethically could be remiss, just excusing yourself from the situation is a step in the right direction, but not enough.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

1) I never asked to be on a game, John was just trying to flatter me (probably just to use my board sets)

But being a smart person as you are, you can appreciate when your name is on something potential buyers are in because of your affiliation as well. While never asked, could have demanded to have your name/likeness pulled off. I don't fault you, my ego would have been at attention as well. Just sayin.

Quoted from benheck:

2) I had no input on the game, my ideas hit a Teflon wall and slid off. "But Ben, nobody wants violence in pinball!" John said... of his GAME ABOUT ZOMBIES.

That sucks. I get why you left, too bad we didn't learn of this sooner. Big red flag.

Quoted from benheck:

3) There was never a financial contract for me to breach, but there WAS an NDA. I could walk away... silently.

I get that the NDA was likely what kept you silent on sharing.

Quoted from benheck:

Spooky gave me a chance to make MY game and see tangible results of my hard work. They also said "we'll pay you X per game" at the start which was a great motivator!

All rooting for Spooky to one day ramp up and evolve games. Right move to join Spooky team and realize your dream. I respect that.

1 week later
    #95 7 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Have to finish my current game first.

Sad news today that Bill Paxson has passed away. May need to swap current game and mass-produce the Bill Paxson title. Or, your one-off is now worth $1M dollars!

dr.-evil-million-dollar-term-policy-300x241 (resized).jpgdr.-evil-million-dollar-term-policy-300x241 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbilly27.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/predator-houdini-big-lebowski-how-were-you-affected?tu=badbilly27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.